• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just draft a RB or Kicker at 10 and be done with the pain......We all know what we need, it's a better team under better cap situations....

Yawn......No offense Lionstop, I like your posts but have no faith in the Lions ability to draft the next mascot let alone someone that can play....

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just draft a RB or Kicker at 10 and be done with the pain......We all know what we need, it's a better team under better cap situations....

Yawn......No offense Lionstop, I like your posts but have no faith in the Lions ability to draft the next mascot let alone someone that can play....

AAAAHHHEEEEMMMMMMM!!!! I think you guys all know who the next mascot is going to be.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think they will draft a WR or CB though. Thats kind of where I was going with the post. At 10, I just don't see a OLB being taking there. I can see where the Lions will have there choice between the top two WRs, the top two CBs and mwybe a OT. Thats how it will fall.

I'll scratch DE, LB and S off my list to go at 10.
I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted Mosley or Robinson though. I wouldn't like it either.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With one guy we talk about a problem getting burned and the other a PI problem. Do these traits sound like that of a top 10 pick? Both Dennard and/or Gilbert would be a completely blown pick.

Calvin Pryor will continue to climb and fills an enormous hole in the defensive backfield. He offers the team far and away the most improvement at any position. Dont be surprised if he ends up in Chicago blowing up our WR's if we pass on him.

With Delmas gone that moves Pryor to #1 on my board, followed by Mack, and then Watkins. We talk about impact players well he is one and is the player and position that improves the team the most over our other options. Don't tell me you think Don Carey is starter material. We have absolutely nobody there right now.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With one guy we talk about a problem getting burned and the other a PI problem. Do these traits sound like that of a top 10 pick? Both Dennard and/or Gilbert would be a completely blown pick.

Calvin Pryor will continue to climb and fills an enormous hole in the defensive backfield. He offers the team far and away the most improvement at any position. Dont be surprised if he ends up in Chicago blowing up our WR's if we pass on him.

With Delmas gone that moves Pryor to #1 on my board, followed by Mack, and then Watkins. We talk about impact players well he is one and is the player and position that improves the team the most over our other options. Don't tell me you think Don Carey is starter material. We have absolutely nobody there right now.

THIS

I talked about Pryor at length about a month ago and was laughed at. One poster stating he's Delmas 2.0 others stating he wasn't worthy of top 15 or even top 20 value... You're spot on in that S should be an even higher priority or as you put it, impact player whose position improves the team most (current Safeties are Quin, Carey, Owusu-Ansah, Gomes), that's a scary assed group of S. Teams that need safeties in top 25 are (not counting FA acquisitions) Clev, Buf, Det, Ten, Stl, Chi, GB, Phi, SD come to mind.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think they will draft a WR or CB though. Thats kind of where I was going with the post. At 10, I just don't see a OLB being taking there. I can see where the Lions will have there choice between the top two WRs, the top two CBs and mwybe a OT. Thats how it will fall.

I'll scratch DE, LB and S off my list to go at 10.
I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted Mosley or Robinson though. I wouldn't like it either.

Keep in mind Bama LB, Mosley, had surgeries in 2011 for dislocated hip and elbow, 2012 shoulder and knee. It was reported as a separation initially. He didn't play as a 3rd down LB in his 1st 2 years of college.

I think your wrong about scratching off DE or LB to go at 10. Should Barr fall and Kony Ealy rise (mostly bc of his expected combine workouts) I wouldn't be shocked. DE and S class is somewhat thin, IMO, as far as plug and play day 1.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Scout’s Report

— Sources close to the St. Louis Rams tell me they've sent scouts to Clemson to interview coaches about wide receiver Sammy Watkins. With the No. 2 overall pick and no clear-cut go-to wide receiver, the Rams should be very interested in Watkins.
— Speaking of Watkins, he told me this week that he does plan to do every drill and run the 40-yard-dash at the combine next week. Said Watkins, "I'm just enjoying the grind and trying to maximize every opportunity." When asked for a prediction on his 40 time, Watkins told me he planned to "shock the world."

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Five Up, Five Down

1. WR Odell Beckham, LSU
With so many talented prospects leaving the LSU program this season, considerable time is spent reviewing those players. And every time I turn on the game film, I'm drawn to No. 3 all over again. Instead of ranting in my notes about how good Beckham is, it's time to simply move him up the board.
Beckham has the speed to be a threat after the catch or in his route stem and shows the toughness you want in a receiver asked to go over the middle. He doesn't have elite size, but his ability in space is ideal.
Current ranking: No. 24 overall

I don't believe he'll be available in the 2nd round. I still prefer his teammate Landry over him at this point due to the fact he excels over Beckham with better hands and route tree.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Five Down

. WR Marqise Lee, USC
A potential top-10 player heading into the 2013 college football season, Marqise Lee struggled to get on the field and hold onto the ball this year. That, coupled with a disappointing number of drops in 2012, is a big reason why he's moving down the board.
Lee could be much like former teammate Robert Woods in that his late drop in production and impact is a non-factor once in the NFL. But the more time spent watching his film, the bigger the concerns become.
Current ranking: No. 35

My biggest fear of a draft prospect that Mayhew would take once Sammy Watkins is gone. Even if Mayhew might trade down a few slots and selects Lee. Mayhew's eyes have shown the knack of picking smaller WR's... Case in point Titus Head-Case and Broyles....

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pryor is a lot like Delmas because he flies around just like him. The only difference is he has better ball skills. He isnt a top 10 choice at all at least from what I gather. Mack might be an option.

I think certain teams will overlook Dennard's overly physical play. Instead, they will look at at him coverage ability and whether or not he's always in good position. Coaches can teach him better technique and body control.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have CBs that can cover, the safeties don't need to be great. They just need play well within their assignments. Pryor may squeeze into the top 20 but not the top 10. Am I missing something on this guy?

(Of course I always speak as if I know all the answers.) :stephena:

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about Watkins to the Rams at #2 after trading up to get Tavon last year. A GM would have to be crazy to take two WR's that high. Smokescreen. I really think he could be there at 10.

I wouldn't consider Lee even with the second round pick unless you are desperate for a return guy. On the surface it looks like the Lions need a wideout and a slot guy but I think Bush suffices as a slot guy.

I am dead against picking a WR at #10 but if Watkins slides to us, it wouldn't be the worst thing. The good thing about the draft being so late this year is the Lions will get plenty of time to shake the FA tree and see ht fall out.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams are probably interested in case they trade down. They need other things but teams will always consider athletes of this caliber.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Ealy, but not Barr. If the Lions end up with all first round picks on their Dline, it would be good but really bad. I would automatically expect them to be the best in the NFL up front with no excuses.

superdave2773

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Ealy, but not Barr. If the Lions end up with all first round picks on their Dline, it would be good but really bad. I would automatically expect them to be the best in the NFL up front with no excuses.

excuses? the Lions make excuses? pssshhhh
their excuse? "We're the Lions"
cant change history!

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about Watkins to the Rams at #2 after trading up to get Tavon last year. A GM would have to be crazy to take two WR's that high. Smokescreen. I really think he could be there at 10.

Matt Millen didn't do this at all did he, take 2 wr's that high as 1st round WR's... Besides, STL WR's draft picks from 2012 6' 4" Appalachian ST Brian Quick isn't sheit nor is Wake Forest WR Chris Givens a #1. they did draft Titus head-case wr buddy, Austin Pettis in 2011...

Do you really think the Rams GM Les Snead wouldn't take what would be his #1 WR in Watkins while at the same time giving Bradford even more ammunition in having T. Austin, Watkins, Pettis, TE Jared Cook, RB Zac Stacy and Isiah Pead... Hell, they could use their 2nd 1st round pick at #13 to grab an OT (Jake Long coming off injury and Saffold a FA)...

Tavon Austin is NOT a #1 WR..

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have two first round picks, you can play around a little and take a stud like Watkins. With that additiin, they becime really fast on offense and Bradford has no more excuses. At 13, they might be looking at Barr or another great cover corner. They have options.