• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to have his back. Decent corner who got stuck covering #1's ina team that didn't blitz. Then he became a total bitch in my eyes. He'd have a hard time pulling off a worse season IMO. Haven't been less impressed with a decent players effort in recent memory.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you hope to develop someone like Greenwood if you add yet another draft pick to that crowded position?

Crowded? I think we only have 5 CBs under contract right now- Houston, Slay, Green, Greenwood, and Bentley.

That's not enough to make it through a season. We need to break camp with 6 healthy, capable CBs, imo.

Whether we re-sign Mathis, go after a FA starter like Peanut or DRC, or go after a depth FA, or draft a rookie, we still need to add a player to that mix.

As for a rookie hindering the development of Green or Greenwood, I don't much see an issue there. It seems like 90% of rookie CBs aren't ready for a starting spot (see Dee Milliner, Darius Slay), so they're not going to be an immediate threat to our other guy's playing time.

CB is one position where we gotta keep the cup-boards stocked. We're stuck with Houston this year, but could be free of him next off-season, so drafting his replacement this year would actually make a lot of sense, imo...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Lions DC Teryl Austin compared Darius Slay to Ravens CB Jimmy Smith.

Austin spent the last three seasons as the Ravens secondary coach, helping Smith develop from an initial disaster to a plus starter with upside. There's similar appeal in Slay, a size/speed freak that was benched repeatedly during his up-and-down rookie year. The Lions' annually leaky secondary desperately needs Slay to emerge as a consistent asset opposite shaky top corner Chris Houston.

Can't wait for him to compare Tulloch to Ray Lewis and Delmas to Ed Reed.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Lions DC Teryl Austin compared Darius Slay to Ravens CB Jimmy Smith.

Austin spent the last three seasons as the Ravens secondary coach, helping Smith develop from an initial disaster to a plus starter with upside. There's similar appeal in Slay, a size/speed freak that was benched repeatedly during his up-and-down rookie year. The Lions' annually leaky secondary desperately needs Slay to emerge as a consistent asset opposite shaky top corner Chris Houston.

Can't wait for him to compare Tulloch to Ray Lewis and Delmas to Ed Reed.

Now your just being a drama queen. Slay has more upside than Smith. Delmas will never be Ed Reed and the Tulloch/Lewis comparison is absurd. 2 completely different players.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crowded? I think we only have 5 CBs under contract right now- Houston, Slay, Green, Greenwood, and Bentley.

That's not enough to make it through a season. We need to break camp with 6 healthy, capable CBs, imo.

Whether we re-sign Mathis, go after a FA starter like Peanut or DRC, or go after a depth FA, or draft a rookie, we still need to add a player to that mix.

As for a rookie hindering the development of Green or Greenwood, I don't much see an issue there. It seems like 90% of rookie CBs aren't ready for a starting spot (see Dee Milliner, Darius Slay), so they're not going to be an immediate threat to our other guy's playing time.

CB is one position where we gotta keep the cup-boards stocked. We're stuck with Houston this year, but could be free of him next off-season, so drafting his replacement this year would actually make a lot of sense, imo...

It's not crowded because we dont have the #6 roster spot filled?? How much playing time do you expect that guy to compete for? It's crowded with players competing for playing time, not because of the sheer number of players we currently have at the position. We have a contract committed player in Houston (who desperately needs to redeem himself because he isnt going to the bench), a second year player in Slay who was a second round pick and will be expected to start, a third year player in Bentley who was a 3rd rd picka and expected to contribute, and two guys that have shown some promise in limited action. (BTW, Greenwood is a RFA). Mathis certainly makes sense as veteran to return under a one year deal and was probably our best CB last year. That's crowded. Now throw another early rd pick in there and its a complete mess.

You cant seriously believe that for a team and coaching staff expected to win, and win now, that we would spend an early round pick and then barely play him do you? And even worse select a player that isnt ready to start and make an immediate impact. So he would be a development player then right? I thought that was what we were trying to do with Greenwood and Green. They arent going to develop getting almost no reps in practice as the #5 and #6 CB's.

How do you know that we dont already have Houston's potential replacement on the roster with Green or Greenwood (assuming we tender him and he stays)? You were one of the biggest proponents of developing talent in supporting Jason Fox. Why so quick then to not try and do the same here? I just dont get that.

If they want to spend the compensatory 4th rounder we just got on another CB and hope to ultimately find gold later on, but just a special teams contributor now I'm just fine with that. But to spend a first or second round pick is just crazy in my opinion. WR, S, OLB, and TE are spots that IMO are all more pressing right now. Mayhew put himself in this position, he resigned Houston to a big contract and drafted all of the other guys that haven't yet panned out. If he is giving up on them already as busts then he simply doesnt deserve to be in the role he is. How many years and how many picks spent is acceptable? Yet here we are again, just like for every year of his tenure talking about spending an early pick on yet another CB. :scratch::L:noidea:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now your just being a drama queen. Slay has more upside than Smith. Delmas will never be Ed Reed and the Tulloch/Lewis comparison is absurd. 2 completely different players.

Get a sense of humor old man, and Microwave, get off my jock. And since you claimed it, how does Slay have more upside than Smith?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now I can't agree with a poster? Good to know you're the board nazi.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now I can't agree with a poster? Good to know you're the board nazi.

You can do whatever you want. I'm realizing that for some of you guys this message board shit is very serious business. Like when Caldwell was hired you were all upset with all the fun everyone was having. Maybe I need to start using the smiley cons for you very serious posters so you guys know when I'm just having a good time. :noidea:

You really thought I was waiting for our new DC to compare Delmas to Ed Reed???

:lol::lol::laugh3::laugh3::lol::laugh3:

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can do whatever you want.
Ok then. Don't worry about whether I like a post of yours or not. It seemed much more simple that way. Sometimes I like your posts, sometimes I don't. It's the way the world works. We don't have to agree on everything. I just think maybe you're taking the "thumbs up/down" too serious. What were u saying about taking this board too serious? :suds:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok then. Don't worry about whether I like a post of yours or not. It seemed much more simple that way. Sometimes I like your posts, sometimes I don't. It's the way the world works. We don't have to agree on everything. I just think maybe you're taking the "thumbs up/down" too serious. What were u saying about taking this board too serious? :suds:

You know what I think. I think you're just a dick head in general, like at Whirley Ball when you treated me and and my buddy like dirt the whole time because you didn't know who we were. The important thing is I was cool with you. Now cheer the fuck up. :suds:

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha. Now I treated u like dirt? Ur right though, I had no clue it was u. Not until the ride home. I was there playing the game and having a great time with u and ur friend on my team or without. I didn't treat u in any negative way. Funny u actually think that I treated u differently. I simply thought u were a local coming to have some fun. Glad ur feelings are out in the open now. I'll be sure to always thumbs down ur posts, it's obvious that option ruffles ur feathers. ;)

Ps, consider me cheered up.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't care. Noticed how I had fun even though you were being dicky? Same applies to here.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get a sense of humor old man, and Microwave, get off my jock. And since you claimed it, how does Slay have more upside than Smith?

Slay is 3 years younger and well ahead of where Smith was at this time in his career and has the same coach Smith had his first 3 years. Smith is a little bigger and stronger but if he gets beat in press he does not have the recovery speed Slay has even though they are close in the 40. Slay has a better nose for the ball and should benefit from a slight change in scheme (hopefully).

Granted Slay still has to prove it that he will get better in time. That is not a guarantee, but that is not what we are talking about when looking at upside.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slay is 3 years younger and well ahead of where Smith was at this time in his career and has the same coach Smith had his first 3 years. Smith is a little bigger and stronger but if he gets beat in press he does not have the recovery speed Slay has even though they are close in the 40. Slay has a better nose for the ball and should benefit from a slight change in scheme (hopefully).

Granted Slay still has to prove it that he will get better in time. That is not a guarantee, but that is not what we are talking about when looking at upside.

Hope you're right. And btw I was joking about the other guys.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't care. Noticed how I had fun even though you were being dicky? Same applies to here.

Lol. U obviously cared since u held it in til now. Sorry I didn't notice u having fun, I was too busy having fun myself. Wasn't being dicky, and not gonna attempt to change ur mind. It is what it is.

Funny thing is, I was gonna offer a position to u in the Lions board fantasy baseball league, since we had an original member drop out. Dickheads wouldn't do that now would they?:noidea:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. U obviously cared since u held it in til now. Sorry I didn't notice u having fun, I was too busy having fun myself. Wasn't being dicky, and not gonna attempt to change ur mind. It is what it is.

No you're not going to change my mind. I think you're a stuck up ND fan who takes Lions shit too seriously. But we're still friends. That's what is important.

Funny thing is, I was gonna offer a position to u in the Lions board fantasy baseball league, since we had an original member drop out. Dickheads wouldn't do that now would they?:noidea:

Sorry, no interest. I told you last year I don't have any time for additional FF leagues. But thanks for kinda asking.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you're not going to change my mind. I think you're a stuck up ND fan who takes Lions shit too seriously. But we're still friends. That's what is important.
Glad to know. Good thing your opinion of me means the world to me.

But I digress.....back to those 2nd round options.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I went to the home opener, then the three of us could talk about how big of an asshole I am. I need more of it.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was I an asshole too? Lol