• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not want see another CB drafted in this years draft, after having drafted (3) in 2012 and (1) in 2013; Bentley, Greenwood, Green and Slay. We need to let them continue to develop as it can take 2-3 yrs. for that process. I'm all for competition, however, injuries have significantly reduced in-game action for Bentley, Greenwood and Slay (outside the obvious benching's for Bentley and Slay). I would rather see RaSheen Mathis be re-signed as articles that I've read stated, "he become a mentor to them" (and he should come cheap, $-wise).

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd round thoughts on player's I'd like to see drafted will vary depending on results from 1st round.

OLB's VanNoy or Shazier.
WR's Beckham Jr. or J. Landry
LG Xavier Su'a-Filo or David Yankey
though IMO they'll all probably be gone at #45.
I could see FS C. Pryor gone in the 1st rd.

I'll reiterate my stance on the 1st rd. selection. Should Clowney, Watkins, Mack, Jake Matthews be gone by our pick at #10 (to which I highly expect), I would hope Mayhew would trade down 2-4x (say in the #18-#22 slot) possibly picking up (1) 3rd rd. pick and 2-3 4th rd. picks. There will still be plenty of players who'll fit "needs" at that point (possibly; Evans, Clinton-Dix, Ebron, Mosley, Dennard, Lee, Gilbert). There always exist player's who unexpectedly drop for various reasons.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensive stud at #10. Second round- Brandin Cooks.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brett Favre retired.

Yeah probably true, shiancoe was solid when favre was there as well. Great quarterbacks make anybody look good, peyton did it with colts, breed with saints, brady and favre.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't get behind the notion of not drafting a guy, just to let others develop. The only time you do that is when you "know" that the current guys are sure-fire starters. Even then, you might still consider taking a player if he's that good, like some of you are suggesting with the OT's.

In this case, this would suggest that we "hope" Greenwood and Bentley are starters. We've already deemed Houston as terrible so that leaves Slay. To me, you add another body here, whether it be early or late in the draft. I would attempt to have Slay and a new CB starting (DRC, Dennard, Gilbert) to make a nice, young secondary to compete in this pass-happy league.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lionstop1..Last year it was very clear that Houston, Bentley and Slay were starting. The CB's didn't do as well as we fans wanted to see but I'm sure the coaching staff knew there would be growing pains. Houston played pretty good in 2011 and 2012, that's why he got that new contract. You nor I may have liked it or agreed with Mayhew's logic of giving him that contract but Houston's past 2 yrs. of on-field performance made it clear, in Mayhew's eyes. I would have been all in for DRC to come here as a FA except for the fact (1) it hinders the salary cap (2) it hinders the development of those draft choices to progress. Mayhew has stated numerous times how tough he is in grading CB's, as he played the position in the NFL, so while he might have made a mistake in his draft choices, the jury is still out due to their lack of game experience. Draft evaluators normally wait 3yrs to re-evaluate a certain class yr. for the simple fact 1-2 yrs isn't enough to draw a complete analysis.

I've seen choices for Fla. CB's Roberson and Purifoy, on this board as 2nd rd. picks, IMO those 2 cb's are no different than selecting Bentley (a 3rd round pick in 2012). Which makes drafting either of those two in the 2nd round ridiculous. Roberson played 4 games in 2013 and Purifoy was hurt as well. They're both athletic and a little taller than Bentley but they both have a lot of issues in technique to overcome also (they both should have stayed in school for another year).

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure Houston played well enough to get a new contract, but I don't think it was just because he played at fairly high level. The team didnt have a choice not to sign him as the best option available. He has always been inconsistent to me and struggles with top WRs.

For the team to think the secondary is fine would be a huge mistake. IMO, you add to this group and let the starters emerge. What do you do with Houston? Make him earn his starting spot back and if not, he can be versatile in the slot and on the outside in certain situations. This would be ideal especially if they brought in DRC. It would be Slay and DRC in the outside with Houston at the nickle.

Now, you are giving Greenwood and Bently more room to grow. Houston eventually gets phased out and the Lions have a good, young group of corners with great up-sides.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions CB's had 2 INT all year. We may as well have nobody at the position right now.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with how you feel towards Houston in that he's been inconsistent. Just remember DRC sucked donkey balls when he was in Philly with Nmandi, so there are no guarantees that he plays like he did with Denver or prior with Arizona. You make sense in your statement regarding DRC and Slay on the outside while sliding Houston in the nickel (possibly even Slay in the nickel until he gets some confidence). Now where are you going to come up 5mil a year for DRC ? Another area of concern would still be OLB (replacing Palmer with a draftee that is a 3 down LB, great in coverage). That would greatly help the secondary also. I see where you are going with your points and they are valid to a degree. Personally, I think Greenwood, Green and Bentley need more time to develop, as in situational playing. BTW, Bentley is always hurt anyways..

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions CB's had 2 INT all year. We may as well have nobody at the position right now.

Drafting a 1st rd or any CB doesn't guarantee they'll play any better than any player on the current roster, not that you were stating/implying that.

I agree are back 4 is worse than HORRIBLE...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loucheiz Purifoy*

COLLEGE: Florida
HT: 6-0
WT: 185
POS: CB

i

Tkl 24
Sack 2.0
Int 2

Analysis: Purifoy is still raw as a cover corner, but he is an elite athlete, with very good quickness, length and top-end speed. He also has great playmaking instincts and can stop and start on a dime, and is aggressive in run support.

Loucheiz Purifoy

• DC
  • Junior
  • 6-0, 185 lbs
  • Florida

• Scouts Grade90
  • Position Rank3
  • Overall Rank23
  • 40-YD Dash4.41
  • ConferenceSEC

2013 NCAA Football Stats
TacklesSacksINT242.02

.tablehead td span.grading{ font: bold 17px/17px helvetica, arial, sans-serif; padding: 6px; } Overall Football Traits

Production22011: (13/0) 27 tackles; 2012: (13/12) 51 tackles, 5 PBUs.Height-Weight-Speed2Tall and lean frame. Has very good size potential but must add bulk and strength. Estimated top-end speed (based on tape) is very good.Durability1Has played in all 26 games during first two seasons. Flexible, well-conditioned athlete. Is expected to contribute on offense, while continuing to be a full-time starter at CB, in 2013.Intangibles3Highly competitive and versatile athlete. Purifoy was arrested Feb. 3 after police saw a bag of marijuana in a car in which Purifoy was riding. The state attorney's office in Gainesville dismissed the marijuana possession case because of a lack of evidence.1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal
Cornerback Specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition2Good natural football instincts. Trusts his eyes and consistently gets early jumps on the ball. Does a good job of reading quarterbacks' eyes and receivers' routes. Not perfect, but should continue to improve with more game experience, especially when playing off coverage.Cover Skills1Good foot quickness, plays with feet under him and is consistently balanced. Can stop and start on a dime. Shows adequate-to-good burst out of backpedal. Is high-cut and a bit leggy when shuffling laterally, but has smooth hips for a taller corner. Very good turn-and-run skills. Not as effective playing off as he is in tight man-to-man coverage. Has elite press-man coverage potential if he continues to get stronger and polish technique.Ball Skills3Has yet to record an interception (26 games, 12 starts). Has missed a few opportunities on tape, but no glaring drops. He does have above-average ball skills for a cornerback and has spent spring primarily playing on offense as a slot-receiver type. Can be dangerous with ball in his hands.Run Support2Aggressive in run support. Needs to get bigger and stronger, but we like his willingness and toughness. Like the way he attacks when sent off the edge. Above-average tackling skills for the position. Will wrap up when in position to do so.1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal

Marcus Roberson

• DC
  • Junior
  • 5-11½, 195 lbs
  • Florida

• Scouts Grade86
  • Position Rank6
  • 40-YD Dash4.5
  • ConferenceSEC

2013 NCAA Football Stats
TacklesSacksINT9——

.tablehead td span.grading{ font: bold 17px/17px helvetica, arial, sans-serif; padding: 6px; } Overall Football Traits

Production32011: (10/10) 22-2-1 2012: (13/4) 23-12-2Height-Weight-Speed3Has above average height for CB but is slightly undersized. Top-end speed on tape appears to be adequate-to-good.Durability4Must continue to add bulk and strength to frame. In 2011, suffered season-ending neck injury (fractured the C6 vertebra) in game 10 vs. South Carolina. Returned in 2012 to play in all 13 games.Intangibles2Is tough and will play through pain. Good football character. In September of 2011, was charged with possession of alcohol by a person under 21 years of age, a misdemeanor.1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal
Cornerback Specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition3Inconsistent in space. Seems to have a good feel for leverage and where he is on field. Seems to have adequate natural instincts but can be a bit hyperactive at times. Will take too many false steps versus some double moves.Cover Skills3Good foot quickness. Adequate hip fluidity. Shows some catch-up speed when ball is in air but not a burner. Needs to improve press-man technique but has size-potential and long arms to be effective in that area. Has the tools to be an effective NFL cornerback but needs to develop more consistency. Has a tendency to clutch and grab a bit too often. Gets overly aggressive at times and also gets overly cautious at other times. Needs to learn limitations and how to play within them.Ball Skills2Ball skills have been adequate-to-good to this point. Has shown ability to track the ball over his shoulder. Good body control. Needs to be more consistent with angles and timing of his jumps.Run Support3Willing to support the run and gives solid effort. Has size potential to be effective in run support but must continue to get bigger and stronger, while also showing more discipline with contain and tackling skills. Will get overaggressive and get sucked inside on occasion. Tries to submarine-tackle too often.1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I speak of DRC, I'm not discounting the possibility of that position being filled by a 1st or 2nd round pick. I would assume guys like Dennard and Gilbert would be day one starters and maybe either guy from Florida. Christe from Nebraska is intresting also. I'm a Gators fan, so I know those guys pretty well.

Where do the Lions get the money? Well, I dont know but they always free up money somehow and I expect a little something to happen. There is no garauntee DRC would be good but I would take a shot at him, especially because he would be playing behind our dline.

OLB? To me, all they need is to find an upgrade over Palmer and I dont think that would take much. Plus, we have to remember that we dont know exactly what kind of scheme will be ran.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DRC looks like he does not have much left. Started the season strong but looked very average late and in the playoffs.

Peanut is the guy you want in FA. Even Talib has his issues and would not be worth the risk.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston is an odd case. I remember Aaron Rodgers talking up Houston at the beginning of the season as one of the best corners in the conference, then the wheels fell the fuck off or something.

Houston has always excelled in the short-area, and his ball skills came a long way since we first got him. He's got quickness and elite top-end speed, and isn't afraid to come up and tackle. On the flip-side, double moves have become the bane of his existence, making him a liability on the outside. He also doesn't have the size and length that is becoming so popular for outside CBs.

Nobody else (that I've seen) has suggested this yet, but wouldn't it make a lot of sense to move him inside to the nickel/dime spot with Bentley? That would seem to make better use of his skill-set, and let him break on more passes without having to worry as much about getting beat deep on a double move. He and Bentley strike me as very similar players, and since we have both it would seem to make sense to focus on them as slot CBs and let our three big, young CBs man the outside and either re-sign Mathis or go after Peanut or DRC to start opposite of Slay.

Just a thought, but since we're stuck with Houston due to his contract, maybe we can get some of the 2012 Houston back by limiting his responsibilities in a slot role...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peanut is the guy you want in FA
I dunno. Tillman has been great at creating turnovers over the years, but he's 33 and coming off a torn triceps injury. I doubt we can sign him to a low contract, and I wouldn't want to sign him for multiple years knowing his age and his past injury.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh- I see that Lionstop suggested him in the Nickel... didn't read that far before I posted. So long story short I agree with making him the 3rd or 4th CB, then re-negotiate next off-season if he does well, or cut him if not...

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you hope to develop someone like Greenwood if you add yet another draft pick to that crowded position?

LP from Florida as a second rd pick based on him bei.g an elite athlete? Those athletic intangibles that make him intriguing sound similar to ones I've read before, those of Greenwood. Very similar but we would simply send him straight to the bench. Why?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No rookie corner is going to be a savior next season. It's not a position of immediate positive impact. Long term, obviously a high end draftee could help. This year, I don't believe any rookie would fair better than Houston against legit #1's.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this hate on houston is well deserved but I wouldnt be surprised if he had a good season next year.