• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know man. I agree with it, but will the CB's or the WR's be the highest rated at 10? I consider 4 guys here.

Watkins, Evans vs Gilbert, Dennard

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By our CBs? Ugh. :(

Last season, Detroit cornerbacks intercepted just two passes and forced two fumbles. Austin wants defensive backs who will generate takeaways and he plans on making it a focus, starting in the offseason.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree CB should be a priority. I just don't think Dennard or Gilbert rate high enough to be picked at #10.I also think CB's are going to be overpaid and overrated because of what the Seahawks did this year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know with my guys, in the secondary in particular, the way we did it was if a receiver catches a ball we always go for the strip," Austin said. "If a running back comes through, we're always trying to poke the ball out. If the ball is in the air, if we have an opportunity to intercept without a collision and hurting our own player, we always try to make the catch."We don't like to go for pass breakups in practice," he continued. "Go for the interception now so you learn how to do it, and when you get in the game, it's not the first time you've tried it."
_________________________________________________________________________________
which means the LIONS secondary will continue to suck bc now they'll jump routes continuously while going for the int versus blanketing the wr and coming up with a pbu or tackle. And go for the strip not the sure tackle...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know with my guys, in the secondary in particular, the way we did it was if a receiver catches a ball we always go for the strip," Austin said. "If a running back comes through, we're always trying to poke the ball out. If the ball is in the air, if we have an opportunity to intercept without a collision and hurting our own player, we always try to make the catch."We don't like to go for pass breakups in practice," he continued. "Go for the interception now so you learn how to do it, and when you get in the game, it's not the first time you've tried it."
_________________________________________________________________________________
which means the LIONS secondary will continue to suck bc now they'll jump routes continuously while going for the int versus blanketing the wr and coming up with a pbu or tackle. And go for the strip not the sure tackle...

Orrrrrrr a coach that has had tremendous success with secondaries will now be coaching our guys. I only see upside with that.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the secondary continue to suck if they're being taught something different? I'm assuming that you're saying that because the CBs suck that bad or the new guys can't coach. Which is it?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions all but confirmed today CB is priority no.1 and the 10 spot is the perfect place to draft one after only getting 2 int all last year. Boom.

Detroit Lions will continue pursuing bigger cornerbacks | MLive.com

Where are you getting that info from that article? Sounds like you had a conclusion in mind and fit the evidence in where you could... maybe I missed it in there, but I didn't see anything about them tipping their hand on drafting a CB at #10...

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are you getting that info from that article? Sounds like you had a conclusion in mind and fit the evidence in where you could... maybe I missed it in there, but I didn't see anything about them tipping their hand on drafting a CB at #10...

I just don't think Dennard or Gilbert rate out that high. Analysts like Kiper and the clowns from CBS will end up having 10 mock drafts and 8 different picks for the Lions at #10. Last year, I think every analyst had them take Milliner at one point or another.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DRC is tall. Peanut is tall...

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout Willis!

If we could figure out a way to be rid of Houston's dead $$ and out from under his contract we could afford to go after one of those two...

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yao Ming is tall. Bad feet and stiff in the hips though.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the secondary continue to suck if they're being taught something different? I'm assuming that you're saying that because the CBs suck that bad or the new guys can't coach. Which is it?

All DB's run through a gauntlet of drills in nearly every practice for int.'s and FF, so I don't see where that is something new to them or that it has never been taught to them at the H.S., College or NFL level. Austin's technical skills may be somewhat different than what former Lions db coaches have taught, then I'll buy that statement if that's where you were going.

Austin has had the privilege of coaching some good players no doubt (Antrel Rolle, Adrian Wilson, DRC, Webb, Pollard, Reed, J. Smith to name a few) and my statement wasn't referencing that he's a bad coach.

The (4) CB's; Bentley, Greenwood, Green and Slay are very young and still on a learning curve. I'm all for coaching ball skills (int's and FF). The point I'll make is that we've already seen numerous times over the past 2-yrs all DB's taking risks jumping routes and consistently coming up empty. Furthermore, how many times do we see every week, in the NFL/College games, where the DB goes for the strip solely and not the tackle which leads to a huge gain if not a TD. I'd much rather see the db's make the sure tackle or pbu. Also, DB's rarely turn their head to locate the ball anymore. Proper tackling is a lost art and we see it constantly in every single game, dozens of times.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout Willis!

If we could figure out a way to be rid of Houston's dead $$ and out from under his contract we could afford to go after one of those two...

Houston's contract is as such for the next 3 yrs.

2014 4.8 mil cap hit/5.2 mil dead money if you cut him after the new league yr.
2015 5.8 mil cap hit/2.6 mil dead money if you cut him after the new league yr.
2016 5.8 mil cap hit/1.3 mil dead money if you cut him after the new league yr.

So in essence we're stuck with him, simply from a smart business-money decision, until 2016

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You missed it in there I think.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news is the draft is pushed back until mid May this year so plenty of time for this thread to turn into a massive flame war.

BTbanner.gif

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO... Flame War... that's the best I've seen to date

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any CBs worth an early round pick.

I would take Peanut. He still has some good years left. I would pass on DRC. He looked done at the end of the year.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DRC talked about retiring. Wants to spend more time with the kids. I kid. Id be all about Peanut. My dream is he gets dissed by Da Bears and wants to stick it to em and their huge awesome receivers.