• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, CB is my favorite position in all of football and if there is a guy worth a top ten pick, I would have a hard time choosing between said player and Watkins. Its another position where the Lions will never win if they don't fix it.

And....I'm fine with a great defensive player, but if Watkins is still rated higher and still available, I would be pissed if they passed on him. Just being honest.

Any time the Lions lose CJ or one CB for a game, they suck bad.

I don't think you have to worry about that Lionstop, if Watkins is there he will be wearing a Lions jersey. Mayhew will take BPA. Watkins is widely considered a top 5 talent.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to "spiderweb" anything. What if Allen sucks the next 2 years? Is he still considered the best WR taken in the draft that year?

My point, for the millionth time, is that you can't matter-of-factly say he is the best WR taken in the draft.

Either I suck at communicating or you suck at reading comprehension. I guess I'll take the blame on this one because you're not getting at all what I'm laying down. Prob on me.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm torn on Tate- he's been a steady and productive receiver over the last two seasons, and would be a clear upgrade as our #2 WR. However, I just can't shake the thought that he profiles as a better #3/ slot-type WR than a true #2.

He's not small, but he is pretty short for an outside WR at 5'10" but he's right around 200lbs- kind of a RB build, really. He's not a burner, but he's not slow, either, with a 4.42 40 time at the combine a few years ago. He's got good hands, runs good routes, has good quickness, and is reportedly a very high-character guy.

All-in-all I see a talented WR who could help our offense, but I think he's more of a slot guy who is skilled enough to line up on the outside, rather than a true #2. For $4 million per season I think we can get an equivalent talent in the 3rd to 5th rounds of the draft this May for a whole lot cheaper...

Pretty good analysis. The thing I like most about him are his hands and his work ethic. I do disagree a bit that he isn't a legitimate #2. Het gets YAC and isn't afraid to go over the middle. I do agree that drafting someone in the middle rounds would be cheaper but much less reliable. We've tried that route before and failed.
I guess I am focusing on him because I don't see another WR FA that is an option. I don't like Decker or Nicks (value) and Maclin is coming off an injury. Maybe Denario Alexander but that is a gamble.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally dont think there is one FA WR that is worth even taking a look at.

They are all either way too expensive or coming off injuries. I would have thought we've learned our lesson on injured players.

The only one that I would truly consider is Kenny Britt. He will be dirt cheap since he did absolutely nothing last year. On the opposite side of CJ should be widely attractive to him. What a great chance to sign a one or two year deal, put up good numbers against single coverage and then get paid.

Britt is exactly the type of player where the Lions brass have failed miserably. Its all upside with him, the risk/reward relationship here tilts very much in favor of reward. But for some reason we simply dont even bother to consider players like this. How many times have you seen the Patriots step in and reap the rewards with guys like Moss and Talib. I wouldnt at all be surprised if they take a look at Britt.

They do the same thing in the draft when they select players rated much higher but have some form of concern (health/injury/character/off field) that causes them to drop and they come out as huge winners with guys like Cannon and Dennard.

For once I'd like to see the Lions get the benefit of rolling the dice when there is little at risk.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can get on board with Britt but I bet teams like N.E, K.C, Philly, Indy and Oak will be in line for him. That idea seems fit for almost every team in the league. He wont pick Detroit

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only one that I would truly consider is Kenny Britt. He will be dirt cheap since he did absolutely nothing last year. On the opposite side of CJ should be widely attractive to him. What a great chance to sign a one or two year deal, put up good numbers against single coverage and then get paid.
He will be dirt cheap but there is a reason for that. He has question marks all over him. Before I continue I must admit that I have absolutely no talents as a player evaluator. That said, I know only two things about Kenny Britt. First his team gave up on him and second, he has a reputation for dropping balls. I have no idea how deserved he is of that reputation.
The problem with signing a player with that much risk is that you have to have a back-up plan. You either have to sign another risk (like Denario Alexander) or you have to spend a draft pick, probably one in the latter rounds. And you still might not have your #2 guy.
I'm the type of person that likes to fix a problem with answers, not more questions. The above scenario does not give me answers, it gives me possible (or likely) answers. The Golden Tate scenario, on the other hand, gives me an answer. So does the Sammy Watkins scenario. They might not be the perfect answer but at least I wouldn't have to worry about the problem any more.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can get on board with Britt but I bet teams like N.E, K.C, Philly, Indy and Oak will be in line for him. That idea seems fit for almost every team in the league. He wont pick Detroit
It seems to me if a lot of teams are in line for him (especially those teams) then the value won't necessarily be there.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with signing a player with that much risk is that you have to have a back-up plan. You either have to sign another risk (like Denario Alexander) or you have to spend a draft pick, probably one in the latter rounds. And you still might not have your #2 guy.

Sorry, my post wasn't very well written, I wasn't suggesting him to be the #2 WR. I just think he is worth a look. I would absolutely still want us to draft a high quality rookie WR. I don't want Burleson back so I think Britt could still get plenty of looks in a three WR set and if he gets refocused could make a big impact.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either I suck at communicating or you suck at reading comprehension. I guess I'll take the blame on this one because you're not getting at all what I'm laying down. Prob on me.

I gotcha Swarm. Allen had the best rookie season of this class. I feel after the 2015 season comes to a end, Cordarelle will be cream of that class.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq-FztyrMqQ]Stanley Jean Baptiste Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

2nd rounder-Stanley Jean Baptist+Adderall= WINNING!

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Minitron in FA. I seriously doubt the Pats let him go though.

We could draft all defense

Last edited by a moderator:

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could draft all defense.

Seattle's team has convinced me more and more that I was right about the Lions needing to spend more of those #2 and #3 draft picks on defense the past several years.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, my post wasn't very well written, I wasn't suggesting him to be the #2 WR. I just think he is worth a look. I would absolutely still want us to draft a high quality rookie WR. I don't want Burleson back so I think Britt could still get plenty of looks in a three WR set and if he gets refocused could make a big impact.

My bad. I made assumptions that turned out not to be true. He is probably worth a look but I wouldn't pay much more than the minimum for him. We have guys like Ross and Ogletree that might grow into a #3 WR although their ceiling isn't as high.
In my opinion the Lions primary needs this offseason are:

#2 WR- Burleson is due $5.5MM next season and will either be released or he will have to significant reduce his income. I would welcome him back as a #3 WR but at a significant cost reduction. I don't like the idea of using the first round pick to resolve this issue but love Watkins. As state earlier, I think Golden tate is a legitimate option at $4MM/yr or less
OLB- With the strength of the defense being the DL, I think a top-flight OLB could take this defense to another level. It would have to be an all-around guy that can cover and rush the passer. For this reason, I love Khalid Mack. FA's Orakpo and Jason Worilds are attractive but mainly pass rushers and better suited to a 3-4 (and will be expensive). I would do everything possible to get Mack or Barr.
CB- This is a tough one for me. They need help here but Slay and Houston are both serviceable. The ideal scenario for me would be to see the Lions trade their first round pick to a QB-hungry team and be able to still get Anthony Barr (OLB). They could then package the pick they got for moving down with their 2nd round pick to move up and get Dennard or, preferably, Gilbert.
S- I'm convinced that Delmas is gone but should be able to replace him for less than the $5.5MM he is slated to make.
TE- I hate Pettigrew and hope he leaves. Fauria is adequate as a receiver but can't block. Another TE is a priority and would love to see the lions get the chance to draft Troy Niklas in the 3rd round. He only has 1yr as a TE, moving from OLB but is a great blocker and has huge upside as a receiver.

The lions need to be creative to free up salary cap. That might mean going with Kellen Moore as back-up instead of Hill. The easiest way to free up space is to sign Suh to a new deal. He is schedule to make $22.4MM and the team should be able to cut that in half but Suh has all the leverage in those negotiations.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#2 WR- Burleson is due $5.5MM next season and will either be released or he will have to significant reduce his income. I would welcome him back as a #3 WR but at a significant cost reduction
I would not want him back. He's too old and lost one too many steps. Let's sign a younger player with more upside and less salary expectations.

They need help here but Slay and Houston are both serviceable
I disagree. I do not think Houston is serviceable. I think he's a liability at this point. However, with his contract, he'll be back, sucking it up some more.

Another TE is a priority and would love to see the lions get the chance to draft Troy Niklas in the 3rd round. He only has 1yr as a TE, moving from OLB but is a great blocker and has huge upside as a receiver.
He actually played two years at TE, but his first year was primarily as a blocker. And he did an excellent job blocking. Then he came on as a receiver last year. He would be a great reliable target for Stafford. They don't call Notre Dame TE U for nothing. ;)

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I do not think Houston is serviceable. I think he's a liability at this point. However, with his contract, he'll be back, sucking it up some more.
If the second half of last year was any indication, I agree with you. Regardless, the Lions need to get some help at this position. I think we are all sick of the PI's.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad. I made assumptions that turned out not to be true. He is probably worth a look but I wouldn't pay much more than the minimum for him. We have guys like Ross and Ogletree that might grow into a #3 WR although their ceiling isn't as high.
In my opinion the Lions primary needs this offseason are:

#2 WR- Burleson is due $5.5MM next season and will either be released or he will have to significant reduce his income. I would welcome him back as a #3 WR but at a significant cost reduction. I don't like the idea of using the first round pick to resolve this issue but love Watkins. As state earlier, I think Golden tate is a legitimate option at $4MM/yr or less
OLB- With the strength of the defense being the DL, I think a top-flight OLB could take this defense to another level. It would have to be an all-around guy that can cover and rush the passer. For this reason, I love Khalid Mack. FA's Orakpo and Jason Worilds are attractive but mainly pass rushers and better suited to a 3-4 (and will be expensive). I would do everything possible to get Mack or Barr.
CB- This is a tough one for me. They need help here but Slay and Houston are both serviceable. The ideal scenario for me would be to see the Lions trade their first round pick to a QB-hungry team and be able to still get Anthony Barr (OLB). They could then package the pick they got for moving down with their 2nd round pick to move up and get Dennard or, preferably, Gilbert.
S- I'm convinced that Delmas is gone but should be able to replace him for less than the $5.5MM he is slated to make.
TE- I hate Pettigrew and hope he leaves. Fauria is adequate as a receiver but can't block. Another TE is a priority and would love to see the lions get the chance to draft Troy Niklas in the 3rd round. He only has 1yr as a TE, moving from OLB but is a great blocker and has huge upside as a receiver.

The lions need to be creative to free up salary cap. That might mean going with Kellen Moore as back-up instead of Hill. The easiest way to free up space is to sign Suh to a new deal. He is schedule to make $22.4MM and the team should be able to cut that in half but Suh has all the leverage in those negotiations.

Jalopy, my feelings are similar but a bit different.

WR is definitely the top need in my books and I think it's in worse shape than some people even believe. I'm not counting on Ross or Ogletree at this point. Nate should be done, period. Durham is restricted, but he's better suited as a #4 or 5 guy and a situational player. Broyles is a question mark and CJ is getting beat up game in and game out. Plus, who knows what the situation with the TE will be. At this point, I'm really hoping Watkins falls or Evans proves he's worth the pick.

An outside LB would be nice but not my second choice. I would be happy with Mack but I think there are other guys that can fill that role and be an upgrade over what we have now.

CB is the second option for me, if not 1b. Houston has always been kind of inconsistent to me and there's nothing that really says that he will change after all this time. He's a waste of money to me. Slay should be a guy that can start, but we'll see. I won't hold my breath on some of these other guys, as most of them seem to have little potential. Give me Gilbert or Dennard.

I think Safety is a huge need but I think the Lions find a way to keep Delmas there. A new scheme might do him some justice. If he gets cut, this becomes a major area of concern.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I watched the presser and he talked about that. I'm not sure where you got that it was priority #1 though. If it is, I'm fine with it.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3