• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Allen was a HUGE part of the reason SD made the playoffs. Dude won games all by himself a couple of times, and was the key peice in helping Phillip Rivers earn comeback player of the year.

Hopkins on the other hand failed to do what he was drafted to do - make Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub both more productive, and neither were. Now the team is starting over. Does he even fit into the new HC scheme?

What did Hopkins even do? He scored 2 TD's all year. I can find you dozens of WR's who got 800 yards and 2 scores last year. He went over 100 yards 1 time all year (week 2). Allen topped 100 yards 5 times. And the Texans have a superior running game to boot.

Apples to oranges imo.

I wasn't even going to stoop that far, and here you did it for me.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barr lacks the experience in dropping into coverage not to mention his field vision isn't as good, compared to Mack, as he only has 2 yrs playing LB. Agree with the "Higher Ceiling for Barr" but would take Mack 100% of the time in a draft of the two.

totally agree, just reluctant to drool over Mack because he will likely be gone at #10

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't even going to stoop that far, and here you did it for me.

I agree he blows chunks. But I remember them bragging about how Hopkins was going to revitalize him. Maybe the new scheme will actually benefit him and you will be proved right in 2014 and beyond. Supposed to be running the Pats O down there w him.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
totally agree, just reluctant to drool over Mack because he will likely be gone at #10

He should be. But if enough QB's go via trades ahead of 10 (and why shouldn't they?) then this could be like when we got Fairley.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fgg.gif

Wee-Bay forgot to feed his fish again?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vernon Davis ran a 4.38 and did 33 reps on the bench with a 42 inch vertical. Those players almost ALWAYS go top ten. Look at Ziggy, freak athlete. All you have to do is teach them, if they are willing to learn.Then boom you have a pro bowl talent at the position.

If Ebron or Amaro post those kind of numbers than I would be all for drafting one of them. Highly doubtful though.

I don't need a TE that's an Olympic sprinter.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be done talking about Watkins after this. Lol. Who said he would be a decoy in this offense? IMO, he could be just as dangerous as CJ because he's more explosive after the catch. As of late, I've seen Watkins listed as the #2 prospect available. I understand the love for Mack and Barr though.

Having the ability to score from anywhere on the field is more valuable to me than a LB like Mack.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be done talking about Watkins after this. Lol. Who said he would be a decoy in this offense? IMO, he could be just as dangerous as CJ because he's more explosive after the catch. As of late, I've seen Watkins listed as the #2 prospect available. I understand the love for Mack and Barr though.

Having the ability to score from anywhere on the field is more valuable to me than a LB like Mack.

That ability is going to rest on Stafford regardless of who the #2 is. For me, it just comes down to value. I think it is easier to get a #2 receiver further down the draft or FA than it is a top flight OLB. Granted the powers that be haven't done a great job finding that #2 receiver in the way I mentioned.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the consensus that Broyles isn't going to play at all? Like...., ZERO expectations, right?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said he would be a decoy in this offense?

The ball can only go to one guy on offense each play, whereas Mack can impact the game on defense on every single play. At BEST a WR is going to get 10 catches a game opposite of Calvin, and more than likely a lot less.

A defensive player like Mack, or even a CB like Dennard is going to be in on a lot more plays than any WR will be each game, each season.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the consensus that Broyles isn't going to play at all? Like...., ZERO expectations, right?

Possession WR with epic injury woes. Not expecting much. Maybe at best he hits a telephone pole trying to keep pizza from sliding off his seat in the off season and he goes on IR. Oh wait, wrong crappy WR.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I somewhat agree with you, an impact player like Watkins won't need to catch a million passes to have an impact on the game. His presence would be enough to keep teams honest. I consider him as an impact player, not just a WR.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tahir Whitehead will win the other OLB spot anyway.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I somewhat agree with you, an impact player like Watkins won't need to catch a million passes to have an impact on the game. His presence would be enough to keep teams honest.

That circles back to my comment about not wanting another high paid decoy for Calvin. At some point this team has to prove they can find WR's after round 1. Maybe you're right and Mayhew can only score WR's in round 1 and if we ever want Stafford to reach his potential we have to use every resource possible to surround him with elite pass catchers. Depressing if true. But entirely possible.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We know that statement isn't true as you continue to talk about him...:doh:.... can't blame you though.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions defense improved by leaps and bounds. IMO they should put the foot to the pedal and keep building a dominant defense. Mack or Barr should be available at 10. I can't see guys jumping up into the top 10.

The combine will help someone and hurt others just like last year. Giving Stafford a #2 WR can be achieved FA or in the 2nd or third round. Rookie WRs seem to have a longer time to get NFL ready than other positions. The Lions don't need a stud WR they need a good WR. Jordan Matthews type and that can happen after the 1st round.

I could also see Detroit trading down for a team that wants to grab a QB. Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel look like top 10 that puts pressure on a team to get Carr early than expected.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possession WR with epic injury woes. Not expecting much. Maybe at best he hits a telephone pole trying to keep pizza from sliding off his seat in the off season and he goes on IR. Oh wait, wrong crappy WR.

He's right below Montell Owens on my give a crap scale. Not sure if Michael Williams is up one spot or two. Not cool out of a second rounder. Hate it when MikeD's screen name is spot on.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR Jordan Matthews; 6' 2 1/2"....... 209 lbs........ Arms 32 5/8".......... Hands 10 1/2"

Strengths; excellent hands, very good run-after-the catch ability, quickness for the short to intermediate part of the field, can make tough contested receptions, polished well-rounded receiver, adept at finding soft spots in zone, good route runner, body control, enough quickness to get separation, scheme versatility, tough, physical, good blocker, quality athlete, red-zone weapon, durable, great work ethic, very productive, experienced, bloodlines (Matthews mother is 1st cousin to jerry rice)

Weaknesses; lacks deep speed, can he separate from press-man by NFL big corners, not overly big or fast, could be just a possession receiver, not fast enough to stretch a defense vertically.

Matthews is a great fit for a West Coat offense as he is superb on slants, digs, crosses, the staple routes of that offense. Matthews is also a good blocker in the ground game. He has good intangibles as he is very smart and has a reputation for a great work ethic.

The one issue that's keeping Matthews from being a 1st round selection is his lack of speed. He is quick, but not fast. Matthews doesn't look like a receiver who is going to stretch a defense vertically. Thus he looks like a good No.2 and possession receiver in the NFL. In speaking with sources, they say that Matthews is grading out on the second day of the 2014 NFL Draft

this report by Walter football