• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Matthews as a compliment. He is the prototype #2 WR. And that could be wa=hat Detroit really needs.

Watkins is a #1 and Evans projects to be. Any of the three help but getting Matthews later and help for the defense would be a huge upgrade IMO.

Guys with good combines or pro days that could get into the top 10 - Dennard, Gilbert, Evans, Hagerman, Truitt, an Ebron and the QB count could be 4 with trades. Anything is possible and I think someone slides that will to good to pass on.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RaShede "Hageman" and Stephon "Tuitt"

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute. Lets get rid of the logic that the Lions can wait and get a WR later, specifically for the reason that I could say the same about a OLB. That doesn't support anyone's reasoning for picking one player over the other. I'm fine with who people want because we all have a different opinions but I don't see where anyone has stated a real reason why the team should take a OLB over a WR.

I'm wasting my breath because Watkins should be gone by 10 but I'll say it for the hell of it. If Watkins continues to be rated above players like Barr and Mack, why would the team pass on that if he was there? Should they automatically assume they could get a WR later? I wouldnt. In a situation where Mack and Watkins were available, I would take Watkins all day because he is a legit game-changer and would ultimately give our other players more opportunities, especially in the run game.

I could go on forever with this but I wont.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see where anyone has stated a real reason why the team should take a OLB over a WR.

Let me preface by saying -- I'd be fine with drafting Watkins if he is there at #10. I'm not as crazy about him as you are, but I think he would be a monster upgrade at WR for Detroit.

That being said -- WR is one of the deepest positions in the draft. They have like 20 guys they have predicted could go in the 1st 3 rounds at the WR position. So it is a position, Detroit could easily find a quality #2 WR in round 2 or even round 3.

If there is a player the Lions feel is a difference maker on defense -- especially at the OLB or CB position, they should take him in a heartbeat. Detroit's defense lacks play makers in the back 7. They can score all the points in the world, but if they are giving up more than they are scoring, it doesn't matter.

In a situation where Mack and Watkins were available, I would take Watkins all day because he is a legit game-changer and would ultimately give our other players more opportunities, especially in the run game.

What is Watkins going to do to help improve the run game? Teams already drop their safeties 20 yards off the line of scrimmage and dare Detroit to run the ball. I'm interested to hear what Watkins will bring that is going to change this up?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is Watkins going to do to help improve the run game? Teams already drop their safeties 20 yards off the line of scrimmage and dare Detroit to run the ball. I'm interested to hear what Watkins will bring that is going to change this up?

Why do we need a WR to help the run game? I realize that prior to last year our run game sucked, but you seem to be discounting the fact that we had an effective and productive run game last year...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I saw, teams were dropping the safety on the other side down late in Stafford's pre-snap later in the season when the run game was a little less productive. Teams never had to worry about getting beat on the other side. With Watkins, I don't think you see that as much.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, CB is my favorite position in all of football and if there is a guy worth a top ten pick, I would have a hard time choosing between said player and Watkins. Its another position where the Lions will never win if they don't fix it.

And....I'm fine with a great defensive player, but if Watkins is still rated higher and still available, I would be pissed if they passed on him. Just being honest.

Any time the Lions lose CJ or one CB for a game, they suck bad.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do we need a WR to help the run game? I realize that prior to last year our run game sucked, but you seem to be discounting the fact that we had an effective and productive run game last year...
I believe he was answering/writing about a thought from Lionstop about Watkins helping our run game.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not talking about careers here. Not guessing or making predictions. Just focusing on facts from the 1 year of we can reference. Maybe Hopkins becomes better later on but right now the best WR taken last year was taken in round 3.

As Lions fans we're brainwashed into thinking WR's MUST come from round 1 and 2. Crazy.
Not at all. The argument is being made that if Watkins is there at 10(which I doubt he is), we take him asap. Not everyone agrees with this, but a few are making this argument.

I feel Watkins is the only WR in this draft we should take at #10.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the 100th time, the best rookie WR taken last year was drafted in round 3. Fact, based on year 1. Not talking about potential here, just results. That's it. Stop trying to spider web it.
Not trying to "spiderweb" anything. What if Allen sucks the next 2 years? Is he still considered the best WR taken in the draft that year?

My point, for the millionth time, is that you can't matter-of-factly say he is the best WR taken in the draft. He had the best rookie season, yes, but that hardly cements someone as being the best from a draft class. And you can't use his only season on record as proof that the Lions can nab someone like him in the 3rd or later. Here's some WRs, and you tell me if you'd take em:

Dobson, Marquise Goodwin, Markus Wheaton, Stedman Bailey, Brian Quick, Stephen Hill, Devier Posey, TJ Graham, Sanu, Greg Little, Pettis, Hankerson, Jernigan.

These guys were all taken in rounds 2 or 3. I wouldn't consider any of these guys players on Allen's level. Not every player selected after the 1st round can be a hit. Conversely, not every 1st rounder can be a hit. But the point is the Lions don't have to take a defensive player at #10 simply b/c we could potentially grab a guy like Allen or Decker in the 3rd round. That line of thinking can hurt the Lions more than it helps, especially if they reach for a defensive player b/c "that's what they need". If the right player is there, regardless of position or side of the ball, then I hope the Lions draft him and he helps the team. Plain and simple.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not discounting anything. I didn't even make a comment regarding our run game on here. I just stated, I have no idea how drafting a #2 WR is going to help our running game, unless he pancakes CB's whenever they run the ball his way.

Here is the comment I was responding to:

I would take Watkins all day because he is a legit game-changer and would ultimately give our other players more opportunities, especially in the run game.

Detroit already has the best weapon in the NFL to help out the run game in Calvin Johnson. He is the sole reason why teams drop their safeties 20 yards off the line of scrimmage. There isn't much else a WR like Watkins is going to do to help out the running game. That is all I was trying to say.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it, in regards to explosive wr's in this draft, there are 8 wr's who are explosive enough to create separation at the line of scrimmage; Watkins #6, Lee #15, Beckham Jr. #27, Cooks #38, Richardson #66, Herron #88, Ellington #100 and Huff #108. Those are 8 of the top 16 WR's in CBS rankings. JMO, any of these WR's could be an upgrade over the LIONS current #3 thru #5 WR's and start for the Lions on 1st Game-Day, being productive in their 1st year is another question to be answered later. This means it's still probable to find that WR in the 3rd or early 4th round. No, I'm not saying the last 7 WR's listed are exactly like "Watkins." If you're looking for a possession receiver you can still find those in rounds 4 and 5. All I hope for is a WR who is a good route-runner and has very good hands.

When looking at LB's, I see only 5 of which could start Day 1 and be an upgrade over Palmer at a minimum (still using CBS rankings); Mack #8, Barr #11, Mosley #16, Shazier #33, Van Noy #38... This means we could possibly miss out all together on a quality starting LB this year... Each of these LB should be 3 down LB's (Barr might be the ?, as he's inexperienced in coverage, all others have proven capable)

I wouldn't be upset at all should Watkins be there at #10.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reggie Bush helped our run game. (Since dropped passes aren't part of the run game and since we're not counting fumbles.)

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute. Lets get rid of the logic that the Lions can wait and get a WR later, specifically for the reason that I could say the same about a OLB. That doesn't support anyone's reasoning for picking one player over the other. I'm fine with who people want because we all have a different opinions but I don't see where anyone has stated a real reason why the team should take a OLB over a WR.

I'm wasting my breath because Watkins should be gone by 10 but I'll say it for the hell of it. If Watkins continues to be rated above players like Barr and Mack, why would the team pass on that if he was there? Should they automatically assume they could get a WR later? I wouldnt. In a situation where Mack and Watkins were available, I would take Watkins all day because he is a legit game-changer and would ultimately give our other players more opportunities, especially in the run game.

I could go on forever with this but I wont.

Watkins, Matthews, and Robinson are top 10 and if they slide you take them as they are the best players period. They would be better than anyone the Lions could get at 10. As of today without the combine or pro days to factor in. The Lions don't need a OT but if they got a gift like Matthews or Robinson they take it.

So what is a bigger need is the next issue……

A compliment at WR, a #1 corner ( no corner in this draft is a shut down Patrick Peterson type), or a terror at OLB?

I go with defense as the value or talent level between Mack or Barr is better than Evan or Lee. And it is easier to get a Matthews or Beckham later. CJ Mosley, Breslin, Van Noy, Shazier, and ubbard are good but well below Mack and Barr.

Everything we think takes into account the best players will be gone but their is always a chance someone slides.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a little research and reports, it appears that Golden Tate could be had for around $16MM/4 years with about 2/3 of that guaranteed. He has stated his preference is to stay in Seattle and would even take less money but there is a very good chance he will not receive an offer from them.

My question is this: Assuming those numbers are correct, do Lions fans think he is a good enough receiver to be the #2 guy? Those that don't want him, is it because the value isn't there or is it because you wouldn't take him for the league minimum?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate = Buerleson. I would rather go for Maclin

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a little research and reports, it appears that Golden Tate could be had for around $16MM/4 years with about 2/3 of that guaranteed. He has stated his preference is to stay in Seattle and would even take less money but there is a very good chance he will not receive an offer from them.

My question is this: Assuming those numbers are correct, do Lions fans think he is a good enough receiver to be the #2 guy? Those that don't want him, is it because the value isn't there or is it because you wouldn't take him for the league minimum?

I'm torn on Tate- he's been a steady and productive receiver over the last two seasons, and would be a clear upgrade as our #2 WR. However, I just can't shake the thought that he profiles as a better #3/ slot-type WR than a true #2.

He's not small, but he is pretty short for an outside WR at 5'10" but he's right around 200lbs- kind of a RB build, really. He's not a burner, but he's not slow, either, with a 4.42 40 time at the combine a few years ago. He's got good hands, runs good routes, has good quickness, and is reportedly a very high-character guy.

All-in-all I see a talented WR who could help our offense, but I think he's more of a slot guy who is skilled enough to line up on the outside, rather than a true #2. For $4 million per season I think we can get an equivalent talent in the 3rd to 5th rounds of the draft this May for a whole lot cheaper...

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with your premise here, I think your gap between the players is off a bit, which could draw the Watkins-to-Burleson value a bit closer.

I don't know about all that. Burleson has nice hands and all but has long lost all his explosion and seperation, even a couple years ago. Sammy Watkins is the best WR to come out in a few years and looks like a rich man's Corradelle Patterson.

I would love defense but Watkins and G.Robinson are the exceptions at #10.