• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy like Mack will make way more impact plays than another WR anyways. Give me tackles and hits for 60 minutes not another high priced "decoy" so Calvin can get open. :rollseyes:

We need more than a decoy. We need a good route runner with good hands. Simply a guy who can beat one-on-one coverage. Shouldn't be that hard to find for relative cheap. Mack will be a game-changer.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but you said the best, not the most productive.

Well if he's the best, the league is waiting to see it. Until then, Keenan Allen blew the doors off everyone else and helped his team to the playoffs while the other guy helped his team get the no.1 overall pick. Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need more than a decoy. We need a good route runner with good hands. Simply a guy who can beat one-on-one coverage. Shouldn't be that hard to find for relative cheap. Mack will be a game-changer.

Couldn't agree more.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get it, but I haven't watched MTV in awhile. :noidea:

Not even sure where it came from tbh. You do always comment on TMZ and that's basically the same thing. Either way, I googled "oh geez" gifs and that one popped up. Your continued, matter-of-factly, statement on Allen warranted it IMO.

Also, see thruthefog's response. One season doesn't make anyone from any position the best from that class. Come talk to me in 2 to 3 more yrs, then we can judge.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if he's the best, the league is waiting to see it. Until then, Keenan Allen blew the doors off everyone else and helped his team to the playoffs while the other guy helped his team get the no.1 overall pick. Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

I understand because I got to see Hopkins play quite a bit this season. I wonder what he could do for a team that wasn't playing 'musical QBs'.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even sure where it came from tbh. You do always comment on TMZ and that's basically the same thing. Either way, I googled "oh geez" gifs and that one popped up. Your continued, matter-of-factly, statement on Allen warranted it IMO.

Also, see thruthefog's response. One season doesn't make anyone from any position the best from that class. Come talk to me in 2 to 3 more yrs, then we can judge.

Kid got rookie of the year, over 1000 yards and 8 YD's but he wasn't the best rookie WR last year?? Have no idea what your TMZ comment means.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand because I got to see Hopkins play quite a bit this season. I wonder what he could do for a team that wasn't playing 'musical QBs'.

Not talking about careers here. Not guessing or making predictions. Just focusing on facts from the 1 year of we can reference. Maybe Hopkins becomes better later on but right now the best WR taken last year was taken in round 3.

As Lions fans we're brainwashed into thinking WR's MUST come from round 1 and 2. Crazy.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a while last season, I was pissed because Hopkins didn't fall to the Lions in round 2.

I've cooled down since then because I realized had he fallen, the Lions wouldn't have taken him anyway. He's only 6' 1" and his only skills seem to be getting open and catching the ball.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kid got rookie of the year, over 1000 yards and 8 YD's but he wasn't the best rookie WR last year?? Have no idea what your TMZ comment means.

I'm aware of his accomplishments. But, again, one season doesn't make him the best draft choice at a certain position. It's something that can only be measured with time.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a while last season, I was pissed because Hopkins didn't fall to the Lions in round 2.

I've cooled down since then because I realized had he fallen, the Lions wouldn't have taken him anyway. He's only 6' 1" and his only skills seem to be getting open and catching the ball.

Allen is 6' 2", bigger, and more productive so far in the NFL. Sounds like you had your hear set on D Hops so I get it.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm aware of his accomplishments. But, again, one season doesn't make him the best draft choice at a certain position. It's something that can only be measured with time.

For the 100th time, the best rookie WR taken last year was drafted in round 3. Fact, based on year 1. Not talking about potential here, just results. That's it. Stop trying to spider web it.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthews won't be around in round 2 Dr. Eviler.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
That's not a guarantee.

Matthews has the 2nd highest drop rate (7.69% to Benjamin's leading 9.68%) of nine wr's listed in Peshek's metrics, which BTW the Pro scouting departments use a similar based metrics that has a little more depth. Matthews also had the 2nd lowest YAC (4.7 to Robinson's leading 4.2) in non-screen receptions. Matthews was second (Watkins 1st 57.43%) with 45.83% of his receptions being screens. He doesn't possess elite speed and he struggled mightily to beat press coverage against CB's at the Senior Bowl Game and practices......... :omg:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Decker, also taken in round 3 FYI. He's pretty good.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Decker, also taken in round 3 FYI. He's pretty good.

Randall Cobb, Torey Smith, two more WR's Lions fans talk about wishing they had instead of Titus or Broyles. Neither were 1st rounders.

There's a reason other teams find starters at the WR position outside of round 1 while the hapless Lions keep taking them. Connect the dots folks.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen is 6' 2", bigger, and more productive so far in the NFL. Sounds like you had your hear set on D Hops so I get it.

I'm not a stats-in-a-vacuum guy. Stats will only get you so far in evaluating talent. You have to look at the environment in which the stats were produced. You stated that Allen helped his team to the playoffs while Hopkins helped his team to a 2-14 record. That actually helps make my case. I doubt you are going to convince anyone that Allen was primarily responsible for leading the Chargers to the playoffs, or that it was primarily Hopkins fault that Houston went 2-14.

Given the environments of the two, Hopkins accomplishments were more impressive. Unless you believe Smith was better than Sanders.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm an offense first guy and I still think the opposite. Mack (or Barr) could transform our defense if they are as good as advertised. Even if Watkins is better than analysts think, he is still a #2 receiver and won't see the ball that often no matter how many guys cover CJ. I just don't see the value there. If we didn't have CJ, I would agree with you.

THIS.......:10:
BTW... Barr is now up to 260 lbs as reported by espn (from a playing weight of 238 lbs.)
not to mention everyone is still counting on "Stafford throwing a catchable ball."

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barr might have a slightly higher upside but the floor on Mack is very high. I would take either at #10 but prefer Mack because he has such a non-stop motor.

Stafford will be fine. My biggest worry about the offense is whether Bush can get his head out of his ass.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a stats-in-a-vacuum guy. Stats will only get you so far in evaluating talent. You have to look at the environment in which the stats were produced. You stated that Allen helped his team to the playoffs while Hopkins helped his team to a 2-14 record. That actually helps make my case. I doubt you are going to convince anyone that Allen was primarily responsible for leading the Chargers to the playoffs, or that it was primarily Hopkins fault that Houston went 2-14.

Given the environments of the two, Hopkins accomplishments were more impressive. Unless you believe Smith was better than Sanders.

Disagree. Allen was a HUGE part of the reason SD made the playoffs. Dude won games all by himself a couple of times, and was the key peice in helping Phillip Rivers earn comeback player of the year.

Hopkins on the other hand failed to do what he was drafted to do - make Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub both more productive, and neither were. Now the team is starting over. Does he even fit into the new HC scheme?

What did Hopkins even do? He scored 2 TD's all year. I can find you dozens of WR's who got 800 yards and 2 scores last year. He went over 100 yards 1 time all year (week 2). Allen topped 100 yards 5 times. And the Texans have a superior running game to boot.

Apples to oranges imo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barr lacks the experience in dropping into coverage not to mention his field vision isn't as good, compared to Mack, as he only has 2 yrs playing LB. Agree with the "Higher Ceiling for Barr" but would take Mack 100% of the time in a draft of the two.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a stats-in-a-vacuum guy. Stats will only get you so far in evaluating talent.

Meant to say I agree. That's why I have NFL network and watched every scoring play (and red zone play) in the NFL live last year. It's pretty much the best invention ever. Saw both Hopkins and Allen (and every other rookie WR) play last year and my opinion is formed from that.