• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I want anyone selected that's a reach. That's proven to be a bad idea in the short and long term.
Exactly. We are really close to being a playoff team(again). Just bc some want us to focus more on the defensive side(which I agree still needs help), doesn't mean we pass up a potential star on the offensive side(which still needs help as well).

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always evaluate the draft on the basis of what position or player "should" offer the greatest level of improvement over what he have currently.

For me that player right now is Mack. Watkins would be great to have but just how much better would he be over what we could get in the second (or maybe even third) round in a draft so filled with good WR's?

Mack over Palmer is an "A" rated player over a "D" rated player. Palmer may be a "A" on special teams but he is a "D" at OLB.

On the other hand Watkins is certainly an "A" while Burleson is a "C", but the improvement of Watkins "A" over somebody like Matthews "B+" doesnt offer anywhere near the level of improvement on a team perspective.

For me right now (subject to change since its early in the process) the pick is Mack. If he is not there, and unless Watkins is, Mayhew better figure out a way to trade down, even if it means having to make it more attractive for a potential buyer by accepting less value than what the movement up might actually be worth.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Marvin became a murderer he was. Not sure I want his 35 year old butt to follow Caldwell to the Lions though.

No, no just saying in his prime, Manning's prime target was Clark. I'd love to see the Lions grab a capable TE. I was calling for it last year, they passed on some nice TE's, and took a blocker instead. Jury still out on him.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, no just saying in his prime, Manning's prime target was Clark. I'd love to see the Lions grab a capable TE. I was calling for it last year, they passed on some nice TE's, and took a blocker instead. Jury still out on him.

Maybe, he was, I just remember that one huge season. There were so many guys that had decent seasons for Manning that it all starts to run together over the years. Can't say I have much of an opinion on Williams one way or the other. Even if he does amount to something I see a huge hole to fill if BP moves on. (#10 is rare territory for a TE) I may be biased there, but when he was absent our offense took a hit in the run and pass game both. (Im not anti-any prospect, just pro-defense in general.)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always evaluate the draft on the basis of what position or player "should" offer the greatest level of improvement over what he have currently.

For me that player right now is Mack. Watkins would be great to have but just how much better would he be over what we could get in the second (or maybe even third) round in a draft so filled with good WR's?

Mack over Palmer is an "A" rated player over a "D" rated player. Palmer may be a "A" on special teams but he is a "D" at OLB.

On the other hand Watkins is certainly an "A" while Burleson is a "C", but the improvement of Watkins "A" over somebody like Matthews "B+" doesnt offer anywhere near the level of improvement on a team perspective.

For me right now (subject to change since its early in the process) the pick is Mack. If he is not there, and unless Watkins is, Mayhew better figure out a way to trade down, even if it means having to make it more attractive for a potential buyer by accepting less value than what the movement up might actually be worth.
If we're going to see 4-3 sets a lot more under this regime that'd be a big help. But Palmer wasn't on the field much.(Levy and Tully sure were. I forget, but I think they were right up there in snaps with Quin and Delmas for the season.) If that was due to Palmer, or scheme, I don't know.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if he does amount to something I see a huge hole to fill if BP moves on. (#10 is rare territory for a TE) I may be biased there, but when he was absent our offense took a hit in the run and pass game both. (Im not anti-any prospect, just pro-defense in general.)

I don't want a TE at 10. He'd have to be Gronk without injuries to justify that pick.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want a TE at 10. He'd have to be Gronk without injuries to justify that pick.

Yeah, that's Ditka, Kellen Winslow - The Original, Tony Gonzalez type shit. Vernon Davis shouldn't have went that high and he's pretty good. I don't have any issue with first round tight ends. A lot of SB winning teams have had one recently. But I don't see it in our future this draft. (Id like to keep the first rounder we already have)

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's Ditka, Kellen Winslow - The Original, Tony Gonzalez type shit. Vernon Davis shouldn't have went that high and he's pretty good. I don't have any issue with first round tight ends. A lot of SB winning teams have had one recently. But I don't see it in our future this draft. (Id like to keep the first rounder we already have)

Vernon Davis ran a 4.38 and did 33 reps on the bench with a 42 inch vertical. Those players almost ALWAYS go top ten. Look at Ziggy, freak athlete. All you have to do is teach them, if they are willing to learn.Then boom you have a pro bowl talent at the position.

If Ebron or Amaro post those kind of numbers than I would be all for drafting one of them. Highly doubtful though.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Khalid Mack and Sammy Watkins are available when the Lions pick, who do you want?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm losing my mund reading this stuff. Allen was always considered a top WR in college but the injury held him back and lowered his stock in the draft.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthews won't be around in round 2 Dr. Eviler.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins Jalopy. Easy decision

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack over Palmer is an "A" rated player over a "D" rated player. Palmer may be a "A" on special teams but he is a "D" at OLB. QUOTE]

While I agree with your premise here, I think your gap between the players is off a bit, which could draw the Watkins-to-Burleson value a bit closer.

I think Palmer is a solid "C" (league average starter) OLB based on his limited play last season. He wasn't used a lot because we matched up with the Nickel a lot, but he made a disproportionate amount of tackles behind the line of scrimmage when he was in there. His coverage skills are limited, but he's highly athletic and solid against the run. Imo, he's the perfect 4th LB to have on the roster.

Also, tabbing Mack as an "A" already is premature, imo.

Overall, though, I agree that OLB is the easiest area to make the biggest gain with the logic you're using here... I'd love Mack or Barr @ number 10. Those two and Watkins are my top 3 targets right now...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Khalid Mack and Sammy Watkins are available when the Lions pick, who do you want?

Mack. He's my no.1 overall pick on my wish list at 10. Arguably the best D player in the draft. After seeing what Levy can do behind our new D line imagine what Mack could do. Yikes.

DeAndre Hopkins was taken in the 1st.

Keenan Allen.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy like Mack will make way more impact plays than another WR anyways. Give me tackles and hits for 60 minutes not another high priced "decoy" so Calvin can get open. :rollseyes:

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack. He's my no.1 overall pick on my wish list at 10. Arguably the best D player in the draft. After seeing what Levy can do behind our new D line imagine what Mack could do. Yikes.

Keenan Allen.

fgg.gif

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins Jalopy. Easy decision

I'm an offense first guy and I still think the opposite. Mack (or Barr) could transform our defense if they are as good as advertised. Even if Watkins is better than analysts think, he is still a #2 receiver and won't see the ball that often no matter how many guys cover CJ. I just don't see the value there. If we didn't have CJ, I would agree with you.