• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Detroit to become like the Seahawks -- they'd have to hit on multiple late round picks, who turn into studs.

I didn't want to laugh when I read that sentence but I couldn't help it. Thank goodness we didn't lose Xanders cause finding those late round players is never going to happen with Mayhew calling the shots. You have four full years of trying to prove that point. It'd be five years if Xanders hadn't saved last year.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the 10th overall pick in the first round, the Lions select Pete Carroll.......Now that would be impressive and something I could start drinking Kool-Aid too.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why all the Pete Carroll love? He inherited a great team in NE and not only couldn't pick his nose in the draft, but sucked donkey balls from day 1. The team spiraled downward once he took over.

If there is something good going on in Seattle, it is probably has nothing to do with him. I would place my bets on the front office making the draft picks and the coordinators running the show on both sides of the ball.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they knew what they were getting they would have taken him with their 1st round pick

Obviously Seattle had no clue Sherman would turn out to be the CB he has become. Sherman is a guy who was actually a WR in college until his Junior year, when he asked to be moved to CB. So he only had 2 years at the position before entering the NFL.

The scouting report on Sherman was almost all negative, which goes to show you, you just never know with these guys. They didn't think he had the speed to run with NFL WRs, said he was too tight in the hips, etc. What they didn't take into account is -- his intelligence and drive to be the best. I read an article on Sherman that said he spends hour upon hour dissecting game film and breaking down each and every opponent. They said he is like Peyton Manning when it comes to studying game film.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes Rolling -- did you just say Detroit is close enough to Seattle's defense? Outside of the DL's being close in terms of talent -- I'm not sure any of Detroit's back 7 would even start on Seattle. I can say with certainty, none of our CBs or Safeties would start in Seattle. If Levy continues to put up numbers like he did in 2013 -- he'd probably be the one exception.

Suh, Fairley and Ziggy would all start for Seattle's line. I feel we have a much better D-line to be honest. Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright are better than Levy and Tulloch but barely. I might go as far as to say as Tulloch would start over Wright.

The big discrepancy is in the secondary. I might be in the minority but I think Slay can be a star cover corner in this league. Just needs to turn his head around. Dude is always like glue on WR's when I watched him last year. If there was an Earl Thomas I would be all for it at #10 even if it's considered a "reach".

Our run D was 6th in yards allowed, that is nothing to scoff at. Outside of the Eagles game and a couple others. Our D played damn good. Most of those losses were on Staffy forgetting which team to throw the ball to. The Lions need to re-sign Suh and build around him.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Sherman being the key to the defense but I would have to think that Earl Thomas and Cam play a major role in that too. Earl actually plays on the opposite side as Sherman, which allows him to roam, while Cam is somewhere near the box at times. They run a single-high safety most of the time.

I can't believe some of you think Seattle actually outsmarted everyone and picked Sherman. Please. They hit big with him.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd argue that Detroit's front seven is better than Seattle's and it's the secondary and lack of scheme that seperates the two.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you include the suspended Browner as part of the 'Hawks defense, you would have a strong argument that it is the best defensive backfield ever (apologies to raider fans).

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you include the suspended Browner as part of the 'Hawks defense, you would have a strong argument that it is the best defensive backfield ever (apologies to raider fans).

Let's not start that talk with the Adderall twins.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our run D was 6th in yards allowed, that is nothing to scoff at.

I totally agree our run defense was much improved last year and I think if they add a pay maker at the other OLB position -- it could be even better in 2014, especially if Levy continues to play like he did in 2013.

If you look at the breakdown though -- as a unit, they were still improved from the prior year, but only 3 teams had the ball run against them less than the Lions and Detroit was ranked 18th in YPC. One more play maker at LB I think could really help those numbers in 2014.

I agree -- if Detroit can find a couple key pieces to add to the Defense, they could be extremely good. Unless they hit the draft lottery, like Seattle has for a couple years -- no way they are ever like Seattle though. As I said before -- Seattle had the perfect storm of draft picks (from Sherman, to Chancellor, to Bobby Wagner, to Bruce Irvin, to Earl Thomas, etc. etc. etc.)

I'm not sure if we will see another defense like Seattle has for quite some time, unless another shut down corner like Sherman falls to the late rounds and becomes the best player in the NFL at his posiition.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if we will see another defense like Seattle has for quite some time, unless another shut down corner like Sherman falls to the late rounds and becomes the best player in the NFL at his posiition.
Wait, what? You didn't hear? We now have to copy Seattle if we wanna be contenders. I'll have Faxboy Bobby send out that memo to you.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, what? You didn't hear? We now have to copy Seattle if we wanna be contenders. I'll have Faxboy Bobby send out that memo to you.

No, no, no. The Seahawk-fellator was ShockedTart. Bobby can't remember the names of multiple football teams AND fetch coffee.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh, Fairley and Ziggy would all start for Seattle's line. I feel we have a much better D-line to be honest. Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright are better than Levy and Tulloch but barely. I might go as far as to say as Tulloch would start over Wright.

I think Suh obviously would start on any team he is on. Fairley and Ziggy may start for Seattle and definitely would play on their team. Seattle does things differently than Detroit. They have players who only play in certain situations. Avril and Bennett only started a combined 5 games, because they use them as their pass rushing DE's. Clinton McDonald led the Seahawk DT's with 6 sacks and he only started 1 game.

I think overall -- Detroit's DL is just as talented as Seattle, but Seattle's has players who they signed or drafted for certain roles and they are able to stay fresher throughout the game, as they are used in situational roles. Between McDonald, Avril and Bennett -- they have 6 games total combinede as a 'starter', yet they had 22 sacks between the 3 players.

And Bobby Wagner is the MLB on Seattle. I think Tulloch is a quality MLB, but Wagner has been a stud for Seattle since they drafted him in the 2nd round.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would LOVE to have a defense like Seattle's. It just isn't going to happen. Finding Richard Sherman in the 5th round is akin to NE finding Tom Brady in the 6th round. It isn't something a team can game plan going into a draft -- it is dumb luck is all it is.

39 CBs were drafted in 2011 -- Sherman was like the 30th one drafted. Seattle just so happened to be the team who found the pot of gold.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, taking WR's in rounds 1 and 2 sure hasn't worked out. I'd love to see Detroit snag a defensive player with the capabilities Earl Thomas has provided with their 1st rounder.

I'll keep repeating this: BEST ROOKIE WR LAST YEAR WAS TAKEN IN ROUND 3.

Great defenders > Great offensive players.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. And were going to need a TE more than a receiver, unless BP is retained, anyways.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. And were going to need a TE more than a receiver, unless BP is retained, anyways.

Dallas Clark was always the Colts true no.2 WR anyways. Def agree w you.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Marvin became a murderer he was. Not sure I want his 35 year old butt to follow Caldwell to the Lions though.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll keep repeating this: BEST ROOKIE WR LAST YEAR WAS TAKEN IN ROUND 3.
Iyo

Just bc Keenan had a breakout SINGLE season hardly makes him the best WR taken. Austin, Cordarelle, Hunter, Woods all had solid rookie seasons. Claiming to know who the best WR was in a draft after one season is odd. And hell even Terence Williams had a big few weeks that showcased what he was capable of.

Point is, offensive players bust out just as easily as defensive players. Saying we NEED to take one just bc Seattle won the SB and it's the latest craze is ridiculous(talk about a TMZ reaction). If there's a defender that is worth it at 10, then of course we should fucking take him. But if not, and there's a WR or even an offensive player that is rated higher, then reaching for said defensive player isn't smart, IMO.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle doesn't affect my opinion much. That team and this team are not assembled in a similar fashion. If Im forced to compare Super Bowl teams with this one Ill go with the Broncos. A franchise centered around their QB, who both drafted DLineman in the first round last year. (Williams didn't do shit for Denver.) Denver had the advantage of a HOF receiver taking less money to play for them, that won't happen here. But regardless I think it's the defensive side of the ball that needs the most help talent wise. Not that I want anyone selected that's a reach. That's proven to be a bad idea in the short and long term.