• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree we have a solid one but we need a couple more play makers to take it to Seattle's level, we're close though.

I just witnessed the greatest QB of all time with 4 great pass catchers get smoked. We don't need another pass catcher. We need a couple more studs on defense and we could rival Seattle's D. We have enough offensive firepower to win already.

I do agree if Sammy Watkins is available then fine, dude is amazing. If Greg Robinson is available, fine. Anyone else then NO.

We're nowhere close to Seattle's level of defense. We improved from awful to mediocre.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rolling,

I would be cool with trading down some.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm 50/50 on Mayhew. And I say that because we don't know how much say-so all the other coaches had in these drafts. Plus, Iwould argue that coaching is a big part of why Seattle is that good.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many impact players on the defensive side of the ball do the Lions have on this team that came from the third day of the draft? Last night you got to see a defense that has numerous ones on it absolutely destroy the most prolific offense in the games history.

I direct that question to the Mayhew supporters. I have perpetually caught your wrath for calling him out as a bottom feeder GM and we have zero that have been drafted by him. Not a single one during his tenure. What does that say to you?

He has blown picks all over the second day of the draft to go right along with his zero success on the third day. I just dont get it. Sell me on why he is a quality GM? Maybe I'm simply too hard on him and have unrealistic expectations. I'll give all his supporters a chance to change my mind on that in a proper, non e-pissing match.

No argument that he has underachieved as a GM. He has been good enough to take the Lions from joke to competitive, which is a very big upgrade from what was there before. I don't personally believe he is the one to take the Lions to the next level though.

The only Day 3(I think 2008 had 3rd round was in day 3 but I might be wrong there) that has had a lot of success started for the Seahawks in the Super bowl. Nothing past round 3 though. Mayhew has upgraded the talent significantly through early picks and FA's, which is still way better then any GM the Lions had in my life time. I think the team has gone about as far as he can take them though.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're nowhere close to Seattle's level of defense. We improved from awful to mediocre.

Mediocre? We were 6th against the rush this season and 23rd vs the pass.

Quin is solid if unspectacular and I still believe Slay can be a star cover corner, just needs some better coaching. Bentley is good at the nickle. Delmas flashes here and there but will likely be cut due to salary, Houston could easily have a bounce back season as well.

Missing- an athletic SLB who can cover and get after the passer on 3rd and longs (Khalil Mack?) and another Safety/ possibly CB. Not sure on Greenwood but he looked good in week 17.
PS- Jonte Green should be moved to backup safety with Carey and we are set for depth.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mediocre? We were 6th against the rush this season and 23rd vs the pass.

Quin is solid if unspectacular and I still believe Slay can be a star cover corner, just needs some better coaching. Bentley is good at the nickle. Delmas flashes here and there but will likely be cut due to salary, Houston could easily have a bounce back season as well.

Missing- an athletic SLB who can cover and get after the passer on 3rd and longs (Khalil Mack?) and another Safety/ possibly CB. Not sure on Greenwood but he looked good in week 17.
PS- Jonte Green should be moved to backup safety with Carey and we are set for depth.

The Seahawks defense was #1 in points allowed and yards allowed. We were 15th and 16th respectively - not bad, but mediocre. We gave up 145 more points than the Seahawks and 1,168 more yards. Not close.

Will coaching and added players make a difference? I'd like to think so. But for now, we can only go by what we've seen, not what we hope to see.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I would throw in what vegas thinks, and lets face it, there smarter then most.

The 2013 season has been in the books for less than an hour and for everyone but the Seahawks and their fans, we're already looking ahead to 2014. Although things didn't quite end up as Peyton Manning and the Bronocos had hoped, there is some good news: They're the early favorites to return to the Super Bowl in 12 months.
Want to guess who Vegas likes to represent the NFC? Yep, that's right: the Seahawks.
Specifically, the Super Bowl XLIX odds look like this, according to [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]430166841894240257[/MEDIA]"]Pregame.com[/ame]'s R.J. Bell:
Seahawks: 7/1
Broncos: 8/1
49ers: 8/1
Patriots: 12/1
Packers: 20/1
Saints: 20/1
Falcons: 25/1
Bengals: 25/1
Panthers: 25/1
Colts: 30/1
Chiefs: 30/1
Eagles: 30/1
Bears: 30/1
Cardinals: 30/1
Some notable omissions: Chargers, Ravens and Steelers.

Doesn't look good for the same ole Lions according to Vegas.

Last edited by a moderator:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I missing the Lions odds on there somewhere, or are you making the jump that because we weren't on a very incomplete odds list that means "Vegas" thinks we suck?

I don't get it... I'm sure you think you're being clever and all, but we're at a bit higher level than the kids on your school bus who actually buy into your bs...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what its worth the Lions are at 33:1 right now, so right in line with the bottom 3 or 4 teams on your partial list there...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just letting you know what the rest of America and Vegas thinks about our team.........They don't think highly of it.....Pretty simple stuff if you take off your Kool-Aid glasses.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a FYI Vegas is in the business of making money and don't give a shit who wins, they judge without bias that's how they make money....

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved the Seattle defense yesterday. Bottled up Manning all day long.

Great defense covers up a lot of offensive mistakes. Seattle could have been stung pretty bad by not punching the ball into the end zone on all those early field goals. IMO a different gas in Manning gets a TD when it was 5-0 or 8-0.

Build the defense and the playoffs will come.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just letting you know what the rest of America and Vegas thinks about our team.........They don't think highly of it.....Pretty simple stuff if you take off your Kool-Aid glasses.

So America thinks the Eagles, Chiefs, and Colts all suck then? Pretty close to the same odds as us...

Face it, you came across a nice little tid-bit that you thought you could use against the Lions, but were exposed for apparently not knowing all that much about odds. Fail.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So America thinks the Eagles, Chiefs, and Colts all suck then? Pretty close to the same odds as us...

Face it, you came across a nice little tid-bit that you thought you could use against the Lions, but were exposed for apparently not knowing all that much about odds. Fail.

No, America and Vegas thinks the Colts, Eagles Chiefs are better then the Lions because they have better odds.....Can't get any more basic then that.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument that he has underachieved as a GM. He has been good enough to take the Lions from joke to competitive, which is a very big upgrade from what was there before. I don't personally believe he is the one to take the Lions to the next level though.

The only Day 3(I think 2008 had 3rd round was in day 3 but I might be wrong there) that has had a lot of success started for the Seahawks in the Super bowl. Nothing past round 3 though. Mayhew has upgraded the talent significantly through early picks and FA's, which is still way better then any GM the Lions had in my life time. I think the team has gone about as far as he can take them though.

Fair enough.

Does not flopping on 1st rd picks offset the horrific results of the other 6 rounds? From a starting spot of nothing and loaded with early round picks was improving essentially not a certainty?

The coach he hired was just canned for poor performance but Mayhew gets a pass? Why? They started together and share the same results.

What about the extension Schwartz was given? What are your thoughts on the role he played in that? What about our perpetually constrained salary cap position? Does he share in any blame for that?

We deserve a winner and what he gave us was 11-21 in his fourth and fifth years on the job. That is a complete failure. As long as he is in charge I have no expectations that we will be anything more than the SOL.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough.

Does not flopping on 1st rd picks offset the horrific results of the other 6 rounds? From a starting spot of nothing and loaded with early round picks was improving essentially not a certainty?

The coach he hired was just canned for poor performance but Mayhew gets a pass? Why? They started together and share the same results.

What about the extension Schwartz was given? What are your thoughts on the role he played in that? What about our perpetually constrained salary cap position? Does he share in any blame for that?

We deserve a winner and what he gave us was 11-21 in his fourth and fifth years on the job. That is a complete failure. As long as he is in charge I have no expectations that we will be anything more than the SOL.

I think Mayhew is just about out himself. Schwartz deserved to go first though. Mayhew Job was to increase the talent level, and I think he has done it. Schwartz's job was to get the most out of the talent, and he failed. The team is way more talented then it was when Mayhew took over, but he had no where to go but up. I think if the team is much better this year then it validates keeping Mayhew over Schwartz, but if the team is the same then Mayhew will be out the door himself.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the 1st round, I want the Lions to take a receiver that none of the league's DBs can cover. If not that, then I want them to take a CB that can shut down all the opposing teams' #1 wideouts. Of course, if they don't take the guy I want, then it's an epic fail.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a FYI Vegas is in the business of making money and don't give a shit who wins, they judge without bias that's how they make money....

:laugh3:

Vegas makes money because the deck is stacked against the player, not because Vegas is filled with football gurus.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what its worth the Lions are at 33:1 right now, so right in line with the bottom 3 or 4 teams on your partial list there...

Where is that at? I'm going to have to throw a 100$ on it. All this team was missing was some good coaching.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mayhew is just about out himself. Schwartz deserved to go first though. Mayhew Job was to increase the talent level, and I think he has done it. Schwartz's job was to get the most out of the talent, and he failed. The team is way more talented then it was when Mayhew took over, but he had no where to go but up. I think if the team is much better this year then it validates keeping Mayhew over Schwartz, but if the team is the same then Mayhew will be out the door himself.

I can understand that position. My concern however is the very uninvolved ownership keeps incompetence in place because they don't realize it's actually incompetence.

Let me try and explain what I mean there. It's Mayhew who is talking with ownership, after all, he is the one who is responsible for the roster (and IMO should have been held accountable for the disappointing results). He isn't going to suggest in those meetings that they fire him, he's going to pass the buck and throw anyone and everyone else under the bus. That wouldn't fly with teams where ownership is actively involved, they would know better. Not in Detroit though.

That means he buys himself another year, or two, or three. That's the same thing Millen managed to do. By the time ownership FINALLY gets it the window of opportunity may very well have closed.

The Lions are a matter of a few players away IMO from being every bit of a legit contender. We simply don't have the cap space to bring them all in via FA (another area that he and Lewand have failed miserably), so we need to get some through the draft right? Since he has a well established, long term track record of only finding contributing and impactful players in the first round we will never get there.

Maybe he does get canned after this year. For that to happen we have to stink again though. Outside of my venomous loathing of him as a complete asshat the majority of folks seem to be neutral on him. He's had 5 years already and look where we are, sitting here with a top 10 draft pick after another garbage year. Other than Jerry Jones who do people think is truly a worse GM? Can anyone legitimately come up with a list where Mayhew would be in the top half of the league? No way.