• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Miami traded their 2013 #11 overall and their 2nd rounder for Oakland's #3 overall.... Which was a complete steal for Miami (getting DE Dion Jordan).... Oakland did not have a 2nd round pick last year and they specifically targeted CB DJ Hayden (U. of Hou), which no one else was looking at him in the top 20 picks, so moving back to #11 they assumed it wasn't a risky trade down... That kind of trade up, for Miami, would normally cost them their 2013 and 2014 1st rd picks plus their 2013 3rd rd. pick.. When making any trade during the draft, the team trading up must denote the player they trying to trade up for. Should Watkins make it to #5 (Oak) it would cost Det. their #10 and #45 picks (getting a 5th rd back from Oak. At #6 (Atl) it would cost Det. their #10 and #76 (3rd rd.) and #107 (4th rd.). At #7 (TB) it would only cost Det. their #10 and #76 (3rd rd.)... Just to give you an Idea....You Might Get Lucky in your Trade Up, but it would be highly unlikely IMO considering the player you want (Watkins)

IMO, I expect Cleveland to trade up to Stl. #2 overall (from their #4) to draft Johnny Football, do not be stunned to see STL. draft Watkins there at #4 and take a OT at their #13. Stl. does not have a true #1 WR (2012 draftees; Brian Quick 6'4 hasn't worked out and Chris Givens 6'0 is a possession WR only)...

As good as Watkins is. Trading up and giving draft picks away in a class loaded with WR's and the fact we have CJ would be one of the stupidest moves of all time.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you don't need a dominating one to win it. We are building a solid one. I'd just quit if I were you.

I agree we have a solid one but we need a couple more play makers to take it to Seattle's level, we're close though.

I just witnessed the greatest QB of all time with 4 great pass catchers get smoked. We don't need another pass catcher. We need a couple more studs on defense and we could rival Seattle's D. We have enough offensive firepower to win already.

I do agree if Sammy Watkins is available then fine, dude is amazing. If Greg Robinson is available, fine. Anyone else then NO.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle had 3 guys on every tackle. They triangulated on every play and made team tackles on almost every one. That's good solid fundamentals. You don't need superstars for that. That's how solid players end up looking like superstars.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As good as Watkins is. Trading up and giving draft picks away in a class loaded with WR's and the fact we have CJ would be one of the stupidest moves of all time.

______________________________________________________________________________________
and as I clearly noted on this thread, There is NO WAY IN HELL "I would trade up" for anyone. You missed the boat as I was letting lionstop1 know what the cost of trading up would amount to. Furthermore, on the previous page, I agreed with a defensive pick (your post that I answered to) for the 1st rd. but trading down into the late teens if not early 20's (posted by uofmarmyguy) so we could garner more picks in this years draft. You're calling out the wrong person in your post.... just sayin

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree we have a solid one but we need a couple more play makers to take it to Seattle's level, we're close though.

I just witnessed the greatest QB of all time with 4 great pass catchers get smoked. We don't need another pass catcher. We need a couple more studs on defense and we could rival Seattle's D. We have enough offensive firepower to win already.

I do agree if Sammy Watkins is available then fine, dude is amazing. If Greg Robinson is available, fine. Anyone else then NO.

I usually don't agree with you but tonight you are spot on.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
______________________________________________________________________________________
and as I clearly noted on this thread, There is NO WAY IN HELL "I would trade up" for anyone. You missed the boat as I was letting lionstop1 know what the cost of trading up would amount to. Furthermore, on the previous page, I agreed with a defensive pick (your post that I answered to) for the 1st rd. but trading down into the late teens if not early 20's (posted by uofmarmyguy) so we could garner more picks in this years draft. You're calling out the wrong person in your post.... just sayin

Oh sorry, I did misread that. Should see if Sherman could loan me some adderal. :lol:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh sorry, I did misread that. Should see if Sherman could loan me some adderal. :lol:

_____________________________________________________________________________________
PUFF... PUFF..... PASS... would have worked....

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually don't agree with you but tonight you are spot on.

Yeah I know. I knew defense wins championships but damn was tonight an eye opener.

I do feel as if Greg Robinson and Watkins are franchise type players however. Highly doubtful either of those guys are there at 10. I would be a little surprised if either falls out of the top 6 to be honest.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PUFF... PUFF..... PASS... would have worked....

That is probably the problem. Tpaul needs to pass some this way.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I know. I knew defense wins championships but damn was tonight an eye opener.

I do feel as if Greg Robinson and Watkins are franchise type players however. Highly doubtful either of those guys are there at 10. I would be a little surprised if either falls out of the top 6 to be honest.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
This (defense wins championships) is exactly why I want Mayhew, for once, to trade down so we can have 9-10 picks in this draft. Draft an OLB, FS and another CB (not Gilbert, Dennard=pass interference, Roby, Roberson or even Purifoy). We still need another DT and DE for rotation purposes not to mention Raiola's replacement and a WR (preferably late 3rd if not one of the extra 4th rd'ers through trades).. It would be impossible to acquire those 7 positions of need with our current 6 picks.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is St Louis sold on Bradford enough to where they won't consider one of these new guys? Tampa?

The Lions have tried to move up for several guys in the past and it didn't work out. I like that type of aggressiveness when there Is an impact player there that can really help the team. I wouldn't offer a second rounder, only a future pick and a late pick In 2014.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, it would be ideal for the Lions to get their impact #2 WR first (given the opportunity) and then go forth with the defense. I want to add some good players on D, but the Lions actually have a LOT of young guys there. Not so much on offense. Our WR situation is terrible: Nate proves to be weak and ineffective and who knows if he will be back. Ross is a SP player and situational guy on O. Durham is no legit #2. Broyles isnt anything. Pettigrew might be gone. Its in bad shape.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This (defense wins championships) is exactly why I want Mayhew, for once, to trade down so we can have 9-10 picks in this draft.
Actually, talent and coaching wins championships. Seattle's defense was better than Denver's offense yesterday and that is why they won. I don't disagree with trading down unless the Lions can get the guy they want at #10.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
_______________________________________________________________________________________
This (defense wins championships) is exactly why I want Mayhew, for once, to trade down so we can have 9-10 picks in this draft. Draft an OLB, FS and another CB (not Gilbert, Dennard=pass interference, Roby, Roberson or even Purifoy). We still need another DT and DE for rotation purposes not to mention Raiola's replacement and a WR (preferably late 3rd if not one of the extra 4th rd'ers through trades).. It would be impossible to acquire those 7 positions of need with our current 6 picks.

Wouldn't mind a trade down but not to far. Maybe scoop up clinton-dix or that DT out of Pitt in case Suh wants to bolt after his contract is up.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, it would be ideal for the Lions to get their impact #2 WR first (given the opportunity) and then go forth with the defense. I want to add some good players on D, but the Lions actually have a LOT of young guys there. Not so much on offense. Our WR situation is terrible: Nate proves to be weak and ineffective and who knows if he will be back. Ross is a SP player and situational guy on O. Durham is no legit #2. Broyles isnt anything. Pettigrew might be gone. Its in bad shape.

I feel you lionstop,
Sammy Watkins is one of the elite prospects in this draft. Possibly even #2 behind Clowney. we should upgrade and all but do we need a superstar as a #2 WR? Would definitely be nice but wouldn't just a reliable option do?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions feel like they can get a good #2 in the second, I'm all for it. But when you take a chance like that, you're risking losing out on the guys you like. I think there will be a ton of teams picking from this crop of WRs this year. If I knew for sure we could land Barr or Mack and come back with a guy like Matthews, I would be fine with it, but in this situation, I'd rather take the best WR at 10 whether it be Watkins or Evans.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions feel like they can get a good #2 in the second, I'm all for it. But when you take a chance like that, you're risking losing out on the guys you like. I think there will be a ton of teams picking from this crop of WRs this year. If I knew for sure we could land Barr or Mack and come back with a guy like Matthews, I would be fine with it, but in this situation, I'd rather take the best WR at 10 whether it be Watkins or Evans.

Would you be on board with Big Blue's idea of trading down and grabbing a pass catcher? I really like that Jace Amaro guy. Watching him reminds me of Gronk. Ideally trade down, Defense, Amaro (high second), then Defense or O-line the rest of the draft.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many impact players on the defensive side of the ball do the Lions have on this team that came from the third day of the draft? Last night you got to see a defense that has numerous ones on it absolutely destroy the most prolific offense in the games history.

I direct that question to the Mayhew supporters. I have perpetually caught your wrath for calling him out as a bottom feeder GM and we have zero that have been drafted by him. Not a single one during his tenure. What does that say to you?

He has blown picks all over the second day of the draft to go right along with his zero success on the third day. I just dont get it. Sell me on why he is a quality GM? Maybe I'm simply too hard on him and have unrealistic expectations. I'll give all his supporters a chance to change my mind on that in a proper, non e-pissing match.