• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the bowl game it sure looked like Watkins was smaller.

Yeah -- a lot of guys are smaller than their listed height and weight in college. That is why the combine is so critical for a lot of guys.

As you stated, by the time the combine comes around -- we could end up seeing people getting leap frogged by other players. Look at the guy from TAM last year, the DE. He went from a sure fire top 10 pick and fell completely out of the 1st and I think 2nd round altogether. I forgot his name, but he ran like 10 second 40 yard dash and lifted 225 for a half a rep. LOL

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That play alone will make Clowney a couple million. Sad part is -- he was unblocked on the play due to a missed assignment by the TE and the running back he hit weighed 165 lbs, because Dick Rod is infatuated with tiny scat backs.

I would still love to see Clowney fall to the Lions too. Him and Ansah on either end would be incredibly fun to watch with Suh and Fairley in the middle.

Yeah I was waiting for someone to mention him being unblocked. ;)

I know he was, but it was still an impressive hit. I think that play alone took him from beig a very good DE to a monster DE. Time will tell if he cAn love up to that hype. I'd sure love to see him at the other end of our D-line though.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt Evans is that slow Smitty. I'm going to stick with my comparison to Vincent Jackson when it comes to him. I think Evans is right in the conversation within the top 15 picks and he would be the in WR the Lions really need to do their homework on in case Watkins is gone.

Its not just his speed teams will want to see, its how he fluid he is and can he get off the line well and get in and out of routes. If he is good enough to where teams think he can eventually be a #1, he comes off the board early.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jdwillis,

I agree. I do see a DL sneaking up into that top 10. Right now, I think its Hageman (sp?) from Minn.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The crazy part about all the WR talk is that I honestly think that if you want the best ones, you have to pull the trigger on them when the opportunity comes. I'll go out on a limb and say we , may see at least 5 or 6 go in the first. Matthews from Vandy and Williams from Penn St. were very productive, have size (6'3) and look to be pretty fast. Matthews is said to be a precise route runner. So, I think we have Watkins, Evans, Lee, Matthews, Williams and Benjamin as potential first round guys. Every team could use a WR with the exception of a few.

Throw in Ebron and Amaro too.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its Hageman (sp?) from Minn.

That guy is a freak. I watched the skills competition and it was unbelievable how fast that guy was moving in the lineman obstacle course.

I could be mistaken, but he started as a WR, then moved to TE, then to the OL, then to the DL, because as he said himself when he was interviewed -- he just kept blowing up in the weight room.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I was waiting for someone to mention him being unblocked.

That hit was crazy. He basically got a running start unblocked and absolutely tattooed a guy he outweighed by 100+ lbs, who unfortunately for him, was moving forward into the path of a freight train. :laugh3:

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Bad!

I consider a Clowney a no brainer I was thinking more along the lines of Truitt from Notre Dame. Hagerman is a possibility it hard until scouts get a chance to work them out.

Funny how RB has become the no big deal position. TE is even more of a pressing position the RB. I am thinking Ebron and Amaro are both gone before a RB comes off the board,

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking more along the lines of Truitt from Notre Dame.
I think Tuitt is too big to be a DE in the NFL. He's already 312 lbs. Even though he put up good numbers at ND, I still think he's a bit too slow to be a dominating DE. I can see him being used in a 4-3 as a DT.

That being said, I'm not sure he'll rise into the top 10 unless he murders the combine.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not taking anything away from Sammy Watkins, as he is the guy I want the Lions to draft, but saying he is in a whole other category compared to Tavon Austin is a bit much.

Austin ran a 4.28 40 at the combine and had 225 catches over his last two years at WVU. His last year at WVU -- he had almost 2,000 yards from the line of scrimmage (1289 in the air, 643 on the ground) with 15 touchdowns. He also had 1,000 yards in returns with 2 more touchdowns.

While the two players are different stylistically because of stature -- I think they are very comparable players. I'd take Watkins over Austin catching a ball in traffic, but I'd take Austin over Watkins in the open field. I guess it depends on the offense and what you'd like out of the player.

Come on, you can't seriously think Tavon is in Sammy's league. Last years draft is pure supply and demand. If he were to be in this years draft. Guy is probably a 2nd rounder. He would be picked after Watkins,Evans,Lee and possibly Beckham. Wherever A.Thomas gets drafted this year, is probably where Austin would of been drafted.

By the way, Austin ran a 4.34. Still fast nonetheless.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on, you can't seriously think Tavon is in Sammy's league. Last years draft is pure supply and demand. If he were to be in this years draft. Guy is probably a 2nd rounder. He would be picked after Watkins,Evans,Lee and possibly Beckham. Wherever A.Thomas gets drafted this year, is probably where Austin would of been drafted.

By the way, Austin ran a 4.34. Still fast nonetheless.

I absolutely think they are in the same league. They are different wide receivers though. Austin is more of a slot WR, who can lineup in the backfield, as well as return kicks. Watkins is more of an outside WR. Both are fast, but Austin can flat out fly. As I said -- with the ball in the air -- I'd want Watkins going up after it. With the ball in the open field -- I'd rather have Austin with the ball in his hands.

I'd take either player immediately on the Lions. Imagine having Austin lining up in the slot and facing single coverage, or having Watkins on the outside facing single coverage. Both a big mismatches.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was running the show for the Lions, I would be preparing a deal to move up to 6 in this draft. I would give up a future pick and maybe a low one in this draft.

uofmarmyguy

Meat Popsicle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was running the show for the Lions, I would be preparing a deal to move up to 6 in this draft. I would give up a future pick and maybe a low one in this draft.

With the holes we have to fill and our current cap predicament being considered, you would still do this? Are you serious? If CJ is the benchmark of out-of-college greatness incarnate and give him a 10. From all the games I watched Watkins at absolutely best is a 7, I would say more of a 5-6. Matter of fact they all are in that range to me. If there is not a defensive person who fits into an immediate need and grades out that high , I move back and stockpile picks.

With the current contracts of rookies all locked in, the picks have value again. And with that the ability to vastly over-charge for them. Drop back into the middle or as low as mid 20s and get a 2nd and 4th possibly out of the deal if not better.

No way do I move up and waist 2 to 3 picks on a guy to be our 2nd receiver. Not no, but HELL NO!

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lionstop1...DT RaShede Hageman....your spelling was correct BTW... Do not overlook Missouri DE Kony Ealy possibly flying up the boards after the combine.. He's 6'5 275 and supposedly runs a 4.7 forty and is freaky athletic with long arms/wingspan.. Notre Dame De Tuitt is doubtful to be in the top 15 as he really fits more as a 3-4 DE or as someone pointed out as a 4-3 DT..

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uofmarmyguy.... I side with you in regards to moving down into the late teens or even early twenties but only if Clowney, Matthews, Mack and Watkins are gone before #10.. And there is NO WAY IN HELL I WANT TO SEE MAYHEW WASTE PICKS IN TRADING UP FOR ANYONE IN THIS DRAFT... I completely agree with uofmarmyguy, in that we still have holes to fill, along with salary cap issues this year, and it gets even worse in 2015 and 2016 with mainly Megatron nit to mention Tulloch, Bush, Quin, Levy and by that time Reiff, Warford, Slay and many others will be due for their 2nd contracts (which will be more costly than it is now)...

A move down from #10 to #12 is worth a 4th and a 6th... Another move down from #12 to #14 is worth another 4th and 6th.... Another move down from #14 to #18 is worth a 3rd rd... These three trade downs could be monumental in obtaining players of need/depth... These are the kinds of move NE, SF and Sea have made, among other teams not mentioned....

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uofmarmyguy.... I side with you in regards to moving down into the late teens or even early twenties but only if Clowney, Matthews, Mack and Watkins are gone before #10.. And there is NO WAY IN HELL I WANT TO SEE MAYHEW WASTE PICKS IN TRADING UP FOR ANYONE IN THIS DRAFT... I completely agree with uofmarmyguy, in that we still have holes to fill, along with salary cap issues this year, and it gets even worse in 2015 and 2016 with mainly Megatron nit to mention Tulloch, Bush, Quin, Levy and by that time Reiff, Warford, Slay and many others will be due for their 2nd contracts (which will be more costly than it is now)...

A move down from #10 to #12 is worth a 4th and a 6th... Another move down from #12 to #14 is worth another 4th and 6th.... Another move down from #14 to #18 is worth a 3rd rd... These three trade downs could be monumental in obtaining players of need/depth... These are the kinds of move NE, SF and Sea have made, among other teams not mentioned....
Trading back for more picks would be nice to see. Capitalizing on the additional picks would be even better.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully, you would be drafting Khalid Mack with that pick and not a WR. With CJ's talent, a #2 WR should be able to be addressed via FA for relatively cheap. A difference maker at LB via FA is going to cost an arm and a leg.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd trade for Watkins, but that's because I'm a huge fan. I'm not sure a future draft pick would hurt that much. This team is doomed if they don't find a guy that opposing teams respect. I think it would be well worth the investment.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon, "doomed" is a little dramatic. CJ draws enough coverage that you don't need (or even want) another elite receiver. You just need a good route runner with good hands. If someone is able to pull Bush's head out of his arse this offseason, it mitigates even further the need for a top flight receiver. A strong front seven would help eliminate the need for the ridiculous overuse of the nickel package that the Lions were prone to in the past.
I would go OLB with the first pick, CB with the second (again) and get a WR via FA.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With CJ's talent, a #2 WR should be able to be addressed via FA for relatively cheap.
Who did u have in mind? I don't see anyone on the FA list that will fit the need of a good #2 and be cheap. I think grabbing Watkins and watching him grow with the team or if possible moving down and grabbing Evans if Watkkns is gone is the way to go. There's noone on that list I think we can get and afford that would be what we need at the #2 WR spot.