• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jdwillis,

Depending on what Evans does during the combines and if teams see him as a #1 type guy, I could see him being right in the mix upon the top 10 or 15 picks. I can tell you that Watkins is not a slot guy, he is a legit #2 that can play inside and outside if need be. I think he's a perfect complimentary guy, much like Garcon but I think he's much better after the catch.

Lee will be the guy that falls if I had to guess and would probably fit in the slot a bit better. It's kind of confusing with him though because I remember he used to catch deep balls at USC but he didn't this past year. Plus, that injury draws some concern.

At ten, Ill really be paying attention with what goes on with Watkins and Evans.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins is fast but not sure if he is strong enough to beat press coverage. Evans and Lee bigger and might be better options as #2 guys. Tough call glad Xanders is still on board.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00EWkjb25K8]Sammy Watkins Highlights ?? "Hell and Back" - YouTube[/ame]

Watch this link. This is Watkins at his freshman level. I know I'm super huge on this guy, but I've watched the kid for a long time. Lions need this weapon on the outside.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He beat press coverage a lot. Actually, teams had problems trying to figure out how to defend him. If they pressed covered, he would get behind the defender really fast with his great initial step. If they played off, they would throw screen and cross patterns and it would allow him to run afterwards. Lee and Evans would really have to be spectacular to overtake his position at this point.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins is fast but not sure if he is strong enough to beat press coverage. Evans and Lee bigger and might be better options as #2 guys. Tough call glad Xanders is still on board.

Sammy is 6'1" 205lbs

Lee is smaller at 6'0" 195lbs

Watching Sammy play, he's strong bro, don't worry about that aspect.

All of this may be moot however as I just can't see him sliding to us.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sammy is 6'1" 205lbs

Lee is smaller at 6'0" 195lbs

Watching Sammy play, he's strong bro, don't worry about that aspect.

All of this may be moot however as I just can't see him sliding to us.

I've stood next to Lee and I'm 6'0", 185. He isn't as tall as me.

I think Watkins is the only WR I would take in the top 20.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be honest. Im not sure what I would go for because I am not sure what the FA market looks like. I think the Lions can get a very good #2 WR in the second round. I know their history isnt good on that but if they go for a fast tall wide receiver and not a slot receiver, I think they can do well. Especially since they seemto know a little more about evaluating talent now.

In the third round I want a replacement Center for Raiola. Even if Raiola plays another year and looks good again, he cant last much longer. Time to groom a replacement.

So the first round IMO is either a good OLB or CB. Which would depend on which one you can fill in free agency. I like Tulloch and Levy, but I would like one more play maker at LB. Maybe a LB/DE pass rusher to fit multiple schemes Austin wants to run. I think Clay will continue to develop and be a good CB. I like Mathis too and even think Houston can revive with better coaches and schemes. But I see them all as good CBs and not great. Adding another top talent CB would help the Lions shore things up. Sorry, I dont have faith in any of the others developing into more than nickle backs. Possible, but I would rather see them address it rather than hope.

So if they can fill one with FA, then I say draft the other in the first round. I dont care if it is the sexy pick or not. I think it would be the pick that would most help this team.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus... I think the Lions need a good #2 WR and not a second #1 WR. I dont believe teams can keep two #1's happy. Usually within a year or two, one of them wants to be "THE Guy" and will leave first chance to be that guy. I think the teams out there that seem to have two #1 type WRs are not what they seem. I think one of those #1 WR's is actually a good #2 who looks better because he doesnt face the top CB every week.

I dont think the first round is the place to add a good #2 WR.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He beat press coverage a lot. Actually, teams had problems trying to figure out how to defend him. If they pressed covered, he would get behind the defender really fast with his great initial step. If they played off, they would throw screen and cross patterns and it would allow him to run afterwards. Lee and Evans would really have to be spectacular to overtake his position at this point.

You are wasting your breath. No way in hell this guy will be there at #10, unless Mike Evans runs in the 4.4's or something at the combine and by some miracle jumps him. Remember T.Austin went #8 last year and this dude is in a whole other category.

Maybe 5-10% chance at best.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus... I think the Lions need a good #2 WR and not a second #1 WR. I dont believe teams can keep two #1's happy. Usually within a year or two, one of them wants to be "THE Guy" and will leave first chance to be that guy. I think the teams out there that seem to have two #1 type WRs are not what they seem. I think one of those #1 WR's is actually a good #2 who looks better because he doesnt face the top CB every week.

I dont think the first round is the place to add a good #2 WR.

Rookie deals are at least 3 years and sometime 4. After 4 years Megatron will be going into that next season at 33 years old. He is also getting beat up a lot so I think by then he will no longer be a strong number 1. A rookie who can be a number one in 3 or 4 years is perfect.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are wasting your breath. No way in hell this guy will be there at #10, unless Mike Evans runs in the 4.4's or something at the combine and by some miracle jumps him. Remember T.Austin went #8 last year and this dude is in a whole other category.

Maybe 5-10% chance at best.

I am projecting Evans to run 4.7. I see many TEs posting better times and maybe even some DEs. I could beat this guy in a foot race. He is big with good hands though.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there is a great chance he won't be there because I think Oakland and the Bucs would take him. But, looking at a lot of mocks, I do see where he could fall to ten. Im guessing we will see 3 QBs, at least 2 OTs and a couple DL if they have a good showing. I do think Evans will be key to the whole thing though because a team might consider him early too if he can put up solid numbers.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lions need a good #2 WR and not a second #1 WR
Watkins, imo, will be a good #2. He may turn into a good #1, but as a rookie he will fit the bill just fine.

I dont believe teams can keep two #1's happy.
It's been done before. Bruce/Holt, Harrison/Wayne. Now the key to these were that one of the #1's was up there in age whilst the other was younger. And this is exactly what we'd be getting ourselves in to. CJ won't be Megatron forever. He's already showing signs of getting beat up too often. Bringing in a Watkins to learn from the best will only be beneficial.

Chicago right now is doing the same thing. Marshall/Alshon is probably the best WR duo right now. Marshall won't last forever, and when you have two potential #1 WRs, why does either of them have to "prove" they're a #1? As long as they'r together, teams will play them both as such b/c they've both shown to be dangerous. That's all we need defenses to act like with us.

Usually within a year or two, one of them wants to be "THE Guy" and will leave first chance to be that guy
But not always. CJ is a team first guy, you can tell. I think he'd be just fine letting a younger guy come in and take some heat off of him.

I think the teams out there that seem to have two #1 type WRs are not what they seem. I think one of those #1 WR's is actually a good #2 who looks better because he doesnt face the top CB every week.
That may just be true, but like I stated previously, as long as teams have to game plan for two potential #1's, then the team has succeeded.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am projecting Evans to run 4.7. I see many TEs posting better times and maybe even some DEs. I could beat this guy in a foot race. He is big with good hands though.

Is Evans seriously that slow?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Evans seriously that slow?

"In high school, Evans was timed at 4.54, but has beefed up a bit since then. Mike regularly runs himself open, but isn't blowing by everyone. If you are looking for that speedster downfield, Evans is not the guy for you."

Knowing that Stafford has a tendency to throw high(being used to CJ), would anyone be opposed to taking Evans at #10 instead of an OT if the other 9 projected to go before are gone? What if Barr, Mack, Watkins, etc are all gone? Why not add another big wideout to the other side of the offense?

Alshon ran a 4.48 at the combine and he slipped to the 2nd round. I simply can't see Evans slipping that far given the tops of the WR class this year.

Thoughts?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the bowl game it sure looked like Watkins was smaller.

I just remember last year at this time everyone was sure the Lions would get a shot at 1 of the 3 OTs. If not a OT then Warner was projected to be a fit for Detroit.

I have already seen Bortles go from a second round pick to being projected by one mock to go ahead of Bridgewater. Most have him now the second QB off the board.

My point is this far off things will be reshuffled a few times. Today Watkins looks like the #1 WR. Barr and Mack look like the best LBs. But, I see a DE sneaking into the top 10.

Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, and Carr could end up as top 10 depending on who trades up. I see the Raiders drafting a QB. The Bucs may go for Watkins but I could see them going defense and I think the Bills would take the home team kid Mack.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, I see a DE sneaking into the top 10.
You don't say? ;)

clowney-hit.gif

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember T.Austin went #8 last year and this dude is in a whole other category.

Not taking anything away from Sammy Watkins, as he is the guy I want the Lions to draft, but saying he is in a whole other category compared to Tavon Austin is a bit much.

Austin ran a 4.28 40 at the combine and had 225 catches over his last two years at WVU. His last year at WVU -- he had almost 2,000 yards from the line of scrimmage (1289 in the air, 643 on the ground) with 15 touchdowns. He also had 1,000 yards in returns with 2 more touchdowns.

While the two players are different stylistically because of stature -- I think they are very comparable players. I'd take Watkins over Austin catching a ball in traffic, but I'd take Austin over Watkins in the open field. I guess it depends on the offense and what you'd like out of the player.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't say?

That play alone will make Clowney a couple million. Sad part is -- he was unblocked on the play due to a missed assignment by the TE and the running back he hit weighed 165 lbs, because Dick Rod is infatuated with tiny scat backs.

I would still love to see Clowney fall to the Lions too. Him and Ansah on either end would be incredibly fun to watch with Suh and Fairley in the middle.