• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's definitely a 3-4 rushing linebacker, though
I did not know that. I thought I read he was great off the edge but it was his coverage skills that really set him apart. Maybe I was reading the scouting report on someone else. Sorry, thats my bad.

I would pass on him if his better fit is 3-4. Would Mack be a 4-3 LB or is he better suited to 3-4 as well?

I'll rephrase my original question to try and generate a quality conversation about football here then.....What 4-3 LB would be the best fit for the Lions that we might have a realistic shot at in any round that would improve upon Palmer?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be pretty happy if Van Noy was still there in the 2nd for us.

imagine how different our D would look if we were able to land Barr in the 1st and Van Noy in the 2nd? Having a pair of hybrid OLB/DE guys would allow us to run a multiple-front scheme without changing base personnel.

Could also run into the same issue the Bears have when they drafted McClennin, a 3-4 OLB/DE hybrid and their defense went to shit overnight. Now they are moving to a full-time 3-4 because they mis-drafted true DE's. Why do we want to mess with the ONE part of this team that isn't fucked up?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not know that. I thought I read he was great off the edge but it was his coverage skills that really set him apart. Maybe I was reading the scouting report on someone else. Sorry, thats my bad.

I would pass on him if his better fit is 3-4. Would Mack be a 4-3 LB or is he better suited to 3-4 as well?

I'll rephrase my original question to try and generate a quality conversation about football here then.....What 4-3 LB would be the best fit for the Lions that we might have a realistic shot at in any round that would improve upon Palmer?

Van Noy is tough to get a read on, they used him all over the field, similar to what was done with Ziggy. He is about the same size as Rocky McIntosh so I don't think he would have a problem playing as a 4-3 LB. He is solid in coverage too so he could stay on the field. I think he goes as a late 1st rounder though. I am not sure Detroit gets a shot at him without trading back.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I am starting to look at some film, I am really cooling on all the WRs.

Watkins looks like a slightly bigger Tavon Austing. I am not sure he will fit the new offense. I think he would fit Linehans offense, but we will not find out unless he goes to Dallas.

Lee drops way too many balls even thought he runs great routes. With a Qb like Stafford who does not throw a very catchable ball to begin with and I see problems.

Evans looked better than these guys but still looks sluggish and could struggle in the NFL. I think I would rather wait till round 2 for guys like Beckham Jr and Landry. Even one of the top 3 could drop to round 2

I am seriously starting to want to trade up for Clowney.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At the Senior Bowl, he did impress scouts with his ability to drop into coverage.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wait until the combine Old Lion, you'll change your tune on Watkins. He's a baller.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could also run into the same issue the Bears have when they drafted McClennin, a 3-4 OLB/DE hybrid and their defense went to shit overnight. Now they are moving to a full-time 3-4 because they mis-drafted true DE's. Why do we want to mess with the ONE part of this team that isn't fucked up?

Thats because the Bears tried to use a very small hybrid OLB strictly as a 4-3 DE.

Adding an OLB who can also rush the passer (standing up or with a hand in the dirt) isn't messing with the D-line at all- it's adding a versatile piece to a defense that, per our d-coordinator, will utilize multiple-front looks to maximize the talents of our personnel.

A pass-rushing OLB is exactly what we need, imo. We have two LBs already who are good in coverage, so we're set when we go to the nickel, so getting someone with a skill-set that none of our LBs really have would help the defense a lot...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I am starting to look at some film, I am really cooling on all the WRs.

Watkins looks like a slightly bigger Tavon Austing. I am not sure he will fit the new offense. I think he would fit Linehans offense, but we will not find out unless he goes to Dallas.

?? In what way would a WR with that skill-set not fit any offense?

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wait until the combine Old Lion, you'll change your tune on Watkins. He's a baller.

Wouldnt we actually benefit if he stunk it up at the combine? If he shows his true skills he wont make it to us at #10.

Would it be terribly low class to hope that he keeps letting the ball go through his hands and nail him in the forehead? Run about a 5.2 with a 16' vertical? Throw up during his interview session? Score a 6 on the Wonderlic Test and have to ask for help tying his shoes? Forget to wear shorts and just show up in a jockstrap?

I could see him falling to #10 that way.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Dr. Eviler, one can only hope he does that. I think I would perfer him to look pretty average. His tape speaks otherwise though.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem with DB is the best CB may rate equal with the #3 WR.

If I could script the Lions first 2 picks….

1. Barr I flip flop between him and Mack. Today it's Barr
2. Lee, but would take Benjamin

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lee drops way too many balls even thought he runs great routes. With a Qb like Stafford who does not throw a very catchable ball to begin with and I see problems.

Evans looked better than these guys but still looks sluggish and could struggle in the NFL. I think I would rather wait till round 2 for guys like Beckham Jr and Landry. Even one of the top 3 could drop to round 2

I am seriously starting to want to trade up for Clowney.

I'm surprised you don't like Lee or Watkins. Lee has rare agility and seems to get open at will. Watkins is a stud with breakaway speed. No way he gets to #10
I'm with you on Evans, the size is appealing but he doesn't seem to separate against college DB's, let alone NFL ones with more size.
I got a feeling Beckham is going to sneak into the 1st round if he runs a good 40 (which I think he will) maybe NE or something.

As for Clowney, the price would just be way to much. The Rams want out but it would cost the 2nd rounder and possibly 1st and 2nd rounders for next year. No single player is worth that much.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?? In what way would a WR with that skill-set not fit any offense?

Half his catches are behind the line of scrimmage. Does not seem as effective down the field. Caldwell runs a more traditional offense IMO. Stafford has no touch on those passes either so I can see it being a problem.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised you don't like Lee or Watkins. Lee has rare agility and seems to get open at will. Watkins is a stud with breakaway speed. No way he gets to #10
I'm with you on Evans, the size is appealing but he doesn't seem to separate against college DB's, let alone NFL ones with more size.
I got a feeling Beckham is going to sneak into the 1st round if he runs a good 40 (which I think he will) maybe NE or something.

As for Clowney, the price would just be way to much. The Rams want out but it would cost the 2nd rounder and possibly 1st and 2nd rounders for next year. No single player is worth that much.

Everyone knows the rams wont take him so who will trade? I certainly would not give that much up for him either. Just to go from 10 to 2 I would maybe give a 2nd and a 2nd next year. Would rather wait a few spots more. I could see traiding with the Raiders at 5 though.

Worse case is we dont trade and take one of the others at 10. CJ Mosely is a good fit for us and will definitely still be there.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee's drop rate is concerning. I choose to hold onto only that number from all of the information there, mostly because I don't like Lee.

Yeah I saw that stat, gotta use numbers to validate your convictions, I like it. It was quite alarming and I can see how old lion would be turned off to that as well.

Seems like the best overall numbers, according to that article is Mike Evans of A&M.
My favorite pass catcher in the draft is probably Jace Amaro. Still hoping for some blue chip defensive player to be honest.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats because the Bears tried to use a very small hybrid OLB strictly as a 4-3 DE.

Adding an OLB who can also rush the passer (standing up or with a hand in the dirt) isn't messing with the D-line at all- it's adding a versatile piece to a defense that, per our d-coordinator, will utilize multiple-front looks to maximize the talents of our personnel.

A pass-rushing OLB is exactly what we need, imo. We have two LBs already who are good in coverage, so we're set when we go to the nickel, so getting someone with a skill-set that none of our LBs really have would help the defense a lot...

I'd rather have a 9/10 OLB than a 7/10 WR with the #10 pick.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone knows the rams wont take him so who will trade? I certainly would not give that much up for him either. Just to go from 10 to 2 I would maybe give a 2nd and a 2nd next year. Would rather wait a few spots more. I could see traiding with the Raiders at 5 though.

Worse case is we dont trade and take one of the others at 10. CJ Mosely is a good fit for us and will definitely still be there.

the Rams' ideal dance partner is the Raiders at #5 so they can have the #2QB on the board. Just the threat of that may convince Jacksonville to give up a second to move up one slot and get their guy, and the Rams can lather, rinse, and repeat with the Browns and still get Clowney.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old Lion,

Tavin Austin was in an offense that used him similar to the ways Clemson used Watkins. The whole point behind the screen game with Watkins is to get the ball in his hands quickly so he can work his magic since he's very quick out of his initial step. It doesnt really matter that half his catches were screens because he caught 101 balls for over 1200 yards. One Clemson game I watched, the announcers were talking about how teams have problems deciding how to defend him because his initial step is so dangerous and they didnt want him to get behind the defense. Sometimes it was safety help over the top or commiting a LB underneath him to help prevent him from breaking loose.

Thats perfect for a team like Detroit. Especially if Caldwell wants to run the ball more, be fast and play fast, and create an innovative offense.

I get why people want a top defender and there's not much of a gap between Watkins and all the other recievers, but they dont have this guys ability as a tremendous threat on the field.