• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cjvErKu35g]Odell Beckham Jr. vs Mississippi State 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Check out this guy. Would be a steal in round 2.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out this guy. Would be a steal in round 2

I dont believe that Beckman has an injury history nor is he clinically insane. As a result he will not be on the Lions board as a possibility for our second round pick. This pick will need to be wasted on someone who has those type of issues.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beckham will fall to round 2 IMO. He is just outside the top tier Watkins, Evans, Lee. He is probably right behind Benjamin.

At 10 the Lions should focus on a game changer. A guy that can start and provide an impact from day 1. The O-Line is actually pretty good right now but in Matthews or Robinson fell to 10 they are to good to pass on. I doubt they fall past 8 though.

Watkins and Evans look to be that type of player as does Barr and Mack.

A lot will depend on how many teams jump in for a QB.

1.Bridgewater
2. Clowney
3. Manziel
4. Bortles
5. Carr
6. Robinson
7.Watkins
8. Matthews - may trade up for a QB
9. Mack
10. Barr, Evans, Lewan, or CB

Detroit will have some options but I doubt Watkins slides.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats true but we all know that there is many parts to it and there is no exact blueprint to guaranteed success. I just happen to think that the Lions need another 1st round talent at Wr to solve the problem they have. After CJ, there's nothing and its gojng to take a very talented guy to pull coverage away from CJ. Can they find a guy like that in later rounds? Maybe, but I would argue that the odds seem much better at the top. Maybe a Benjamin, Matthews, Lee or Roby could do it but I dont know.

Im watching for Watkins, Evans and Ebron.

So what about all of the other teams in the nfl? I dont see them having a player of the caliber of CJ and then another stud receiver as well. Wide receiver might be a problem but they have many more problems than that. Im as big a stafford advocate as anyone but he had plenty of weapons on offense, their offense was impressive and he threw a lot of interceptions anyways. A good number two receiver will help but he doesnt have to be the best wide receiver in the draft.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont believe that Beckman has an injury history nor is he clinically insane. As a result he will not be on the Lions board as a possibility for our second round pick. This pick will need to be wasted on someone who has those type of issues.

Well since he isnt a psycho or always injured the lions will probably have to trade even more picks to move up two spots to snag him.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, IMO they need the best WR in the draft and thats Watkins. Or, they need the best CB. I dont really care about how other teams do their stuff, the Lions need another WR. I am not down with drafting another OT early as it doesnt make sense to me.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of CJ, Bush and Bell, Stafford had some crappy weapons.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, IMO they need the best WR in the draft and thats Watkins. Or, they need the best CB. I dont really care about how other teams do their stuff, the Lions need another WR. I am not down with drafting another OT early as it doesnt make sense to me.

Whens the last time the lions drafted an OT early? I get why you dont want to do it, but someone on here said they wanted to draft a receiver number one and develop him so he could replace CJ in a few years. While is important to fill needs now its also important to fill them later. While waddle and reiff both had great seasons we should know that just because one has one great season does not mean they will follow it up with another and vice versa. Delmas and houston are good examples of this. While we may not think we need an offensive tackle currently, if theres a beast offensive tackle available when they draft they need to take him. I guess it just depends on your perspective of value at #10. I see offensive tackles having more value this year at # 10 han wide receivers or tight ends among other positions.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those are some damn good weapons though and their offensive line was impressive as well. It hurt that the lions did not have a legit two receiver but it also hurt that stafford threw so many picks, akers couldnt kick to save his life, all of the receivers dropped too many passes, the lack of discipline and coaching, the inability to create turnovers and a back seven on D that still needs massive improvement.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's pretty true. I'm definitely encouraged by Fauria though- he doesn't have great speed, but he looks to have huge, soft, hands and he uses them well with that monstrous catching radius. I think we still need to add another TE, but imo Fauria will be a big part of our offense for the foreseeable future.

Ross looks like he might turn into a useful role player on offense, too. He was pretty electric in the Green Bay game on Thanksgiving, and I think he showed enough to at least intrigue the new coaching staff.

I like our depth at WR right now- Burleson, Durham, and Ross make good #3 through #5 receivers, but we desperately need a good, true, #2.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of those guys have limited skill sets. Fauria has some talent but I don't see the where he can be that every down guy at the position. He's a weapon though. A true #2 makes all these guys that much better, especially a Watkins. Ross or Nate would have great opportunities to work underneath in a situation like that.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying I want the Lions to select an OT. What I'm saying is that you've seen Mayhew draft. And unless you're just cynical and/or just stirring the pot, I doubt any of you hate the picks of Stafford, Suh, Fairley, Reiff, or Ansah.

What I'm saying is that you already know Mayhew is going BPA with his first pick. After that it's debatable. The Lions are going to take the best player that falls to them. And unless it's a blue-chip talent like Watkins, it will probably be either an OT or a DLineman.

I know most of you won't like it, but it's sound in principle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There a tackle I've seen as high as #10 who I don't want.

Of course the draft board will change somewhat between now and the draft, but I think it would have to be a faller.

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course the draft board will change somewhat between now and the draft, but I think it would have to be a faller.

Yeah, absolutely it will, the changing part. Lots of rising and falling to be done. On your edit: I've got some interest in several guys who wouldn't necessarily be immediate impact/contributors.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying I want the Lions to select an OT. What I'm saying is that you've seen Mayhew draft. And unless you're just cynical and/or just stirring the pot, I doubt any of you hate the picks of Stafford, Suh, Fairley, Reiff, or Ansah.

What I'm saying is that you already know Mayhew is going BPA with his first pick. After that it's debatable. The Lions are going to take the best player that falls to them. And unless it's a blue-chip talent like Watkins, it will probably be either an OT or a DLineman.

I know most of you won't like it, but it's sound in principle.

I don't know, outside of drafting lineman, Mayhew has been sketchy at best. Since we really don't have a need at linemen. He should just hand the reigns over to Xanders this year.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Factoid: This time last year all the "experts" had the Lions taking Bjorn Werner or Damontre Somebody at pick 5. Werner went late 1st and the other guy dropped to the 2nd or 3rd round. Just sayin

Factoid to back up my factoid: these are the same experts who told all of us for 3 months that Ken Whisenhunt was the Lions next HC.

Opinionoid: Half the guys we are taking about probably won't even go in the 1st round come April.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Factoid: This time last year all the "experts" had the Lions taking Bjorn Werner or Damontre Somebody at pick 5. Werner went late 1st and the other guy dropped to the 2nd or 3rd round. Just sayin

Factoid to back up my factoid: these are the same experts who told all of us for 3 months that Ken Whisenhunt was the Lions next HC.

Opinionoid: Half the guys we are taking about probably won't even go in the 1st round come April.

:agree:

Wow is that spot on. There just isnt anything else to talk about.

How about........does anyone think Kyle VanNoy (sp) will be available at pick 13 in the second round for us? I've actually seen BR that had us picking him in the first but no other mock with him anywhere near that.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

Wow is that spot on. There just isnt anything else to talk about.

How about........does anyone think Kyle VanNoy (sp) will be available at pick 13 in the second round for us? I've actually seen BR that had us picking him in the first but no other mock with him anywhere near that.

I love Van Noy. He is a one hell of a football player. He's definitely a 3-4 rushing linebacker, though. If Austin plans to incorporate 3-4 looks on a somewhat consistent basis, I'd be all for taking Van Noy. If not, though, I'd regretfully pass. He should be in a 3-4 scheme.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be pretty happy if Van Noy was still there in the 2nd for us.

imagine how different our D would look if we were able to land Barr in the 1st and Van Noy in the 2nd? Having a pair of hybrid OLB/DE guys would allow us to run a multiple-front scheme without changing base personnel.

It'd also give us a pair of playmakers that can play with a hand in the dirt or standing up.

Of course taking two OLBs with back-to-back picks wouldn't be the best thing from a "needs" standpoint, but I don't think too many people would be too awfully disappointed with adding those two guys to our defensive unit...