• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Megatron is not getting any younger and has a ton of Mileage on him. We want a 2 that can become a 1 in 3 years.

Ok, I dont see a two that could become a one in several years. There are many positions that currently do not have a # 1 player, why not try to find a one that can be a one now with the first pick? Im just not a strong believer in using a top ten pick on a number two receiver. Im ok looking for one in the second or third round as long as they dont do their normal trade up a few picks to draft a huge question mark at a skill position.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see what's wrong with using a top-ten pick on a #2 WR?

We're talking about a starter who plays every offensive snap, not a back-up or sub-package player...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Atlanta spent a lot on getting Julio. They knew it had to be done to keep up with all the high powered offenses and make it difficult for other teams to defend them. If spending a #10 on a WR means making the entire offense better, especially your stars, you do it. At this point we should all be concerned about Stafford and CJ moving forward.

Personally, I want to avoid the trend that the Lions have fell into all these years. 2nd round Wrs haven't worked. I see several guys the Lions could grab in the 2nd but they always take the wrong one. I like the odds of them taking one earlier.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions take a TE at #10, I'm going into the Oxbow and not coming back.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With some experience under his belt, Watkins could feel a #1 role. He might be better than Garcon. Torrey Smith is a #2 and he's better than him.

Mike Evans could fill a #1 role barring what his numbers end up being. I see another Vincent Jackson in him. Thats why I think he might fit at 10.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Julio Jones is 6'3 220 lbs. and could man-handle any cb in press coverage since he was in high-school, not to mention at the combine (with a broken foot) ran a 4.39 and had a 39" vertical (compared to a 42" vertical while a H.S. junior at the LSU nike camp). Julio is bigger and stronger than Watkins or Lee, but he wasn't a good route runner then. IMO, it's Watkins or wait til the 4th rd. In a recent report from Florio (PFT), Mike Davis (U-Tex) and Lee were working out and Davis made Lee look silly as Davis caught nearly every pass, ran better routes and could handle press coverage where Lee has struggled quite a bit. Watkins has the physicality to beat CB's and not get pushed off his route.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its probably a long shot for them to take a TE at ten but Ebron will be someone to keep an eye on. He used to be a DE, but made a smooth transition to TE where he displayed tremendous athleticism and catching ability. Right now, he's like a 4.6, 4.7 guy but if he runs a anything around a 4.5, watch out.

Hypothetically speaking, lets do this:

Say teams believe Ebron is very close to J. Grahm and thinks his production level could be about the same and there's Evans who teams believe is a Vincent Jackson type guy and he could eventually be a #1 after a year.

Both are available at 10. Who do you take?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Evans only has 2+ years experience (red-shirt sophomore) as a receiver, as he came from a basketball background, and is far from a finished product in the receivers route tree. He's big and physical but both LSU and Missouri CB's shut him down with physical play in his last 2 regular season games of 2013, and neither of those 2 teams had "Great Secondary's" this year...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats why I like Evans and Watkins a bit more than Lee. Watkins is very quick out of his stance and Evans seems as if he would present an issue with his size. With Lee, I have to remain skeptical because of his injury stuff. Any valuable time missed is a problem for me. I know he's talented though. He'll be the one that slips to round two if I had to guess.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its probably a long shot for them to take a TE at ten but Ebron will be someone to keep an eye on. He used to be a DE, but made a smooth transition to TE where he displayed tremendous athleticism and catching ability. Right now, he's like a 4.6, 4.7 guy but if he runs a anything around a 4.5, watch out.

Hypothetically speaking, lets do this:

Say teams believe Ebron is very close to J. Grahm and thinks his production level could be about the same and there's Evans who teams believe is a Vincent Jackson type guy and he could eventually be a #1 after a year.

Both are available at 10. Who do you take?

Matthews.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be very hard to determine what you might get out of Evans due to the reasons you stated and the fact that the offense he was in could be very different in the NFL and at times, Johnny just threw it up to him to make plays. There were times where he was behind coverage for big plays though.

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But is a number two receiver what you want to spend a top ten pick on? I dont. Theres many things killing the lions, that is one of them.

I want to spend a pick on a beast at any position. I think Ebron is a beast. Clowney is a beast. I want a great player at any position.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthews the OT?

I guess, but I'm not sure why we would move Waddle and Reiff at this point. If anything, if we need another OT, take one later.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched 4-5 UNC regular season games this year (and their bowl game) and more than a dozen times Ebron had 2-5 yards on any DB, with clear open space to the end-zone, and he dropped easy, catchable balls. All receivers have drops but his were clear lack of concentration, worse than Pettidrops.... No way at #10 for me... Texas Tech's Jace Amaro is far above Ebron in blocking, route running and hands... Amaro is 6'5 260 lbs. and uses his body to block out Db's and Lb's whereas Ebron isn't even close to him at this point. Amaro was used as a slot, #1, #2 and is exceptional blocking down field but I wouldn't say, as someone did, "a devastating blocker".

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Sorry, I'm still stuck on the idea of drafting a tackle at #10, I'll get to Ebron later)

I cant figure out how anyone can advocate taking a tackle if one should happen to be available. If that doesnt involve moving either Reiff to center or Waddle to the bench then where are we going to play him? Maybe we can line him up at FB or TE in short yardage situations like we did with Reiff for his first year. Thats certainly an impact player right? Dear god, please tell me we arent drafting one for depth?

I havent heard anyone advocating Rashead Hegeman as a great pick if he was available in the second round. Why not? That would be incredible depth at the DT position? It's because this team is at a spot right now where they can compete so you draft an impact player with a top 10 pick, not depth. Pryor, Mosley, Ebron, each of which are likely available when we are on the clock, all make more sense and fill bigger needs than depth at the tackle position.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The following is my preference for the #10 pick based on availability:

1) Anthony Barr
2) Sammy Watkins
3) Khalil Mack
4) Mike Evans

I don't see the Lions taking a CB with a pick this high. I think Gilbert is the best available cover corner but they could likely trade down 5-10 picks and still get him or Dennard. With 3 QB's and 2 OT's, and Clowney likely taken in the first 9, the Lions should be able to keep their shopping list pretty small for this pick.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Atlanta spent a lot on getting Julio. They knew it had to be done to keep up with all the high powered offenses and make it difficult for other teams to defend them. If spending a #10 on a WR means making the entire offense better, especially your stars, you do it.

Disagree. I don't want a WR at 10 and if we grab one I'll be very disappointed. That ATL trade has crippled them and will continue to hurt them for years. Matt Stafford is A LOT like Matt Ryan where he must be surrounded by 1st round picks to find success and I hate that.

The best rookie WR last year was a 3rd rounder. If Matt Stafford is as good as these guys think he is then he doesn't need ANOTHER 1st or 2nd round weapon.

Yuck to taking a WR at 10 no matter who it is.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be very hard to determine what you might get out of Evans due to the reasons you stated and the fact that the offense he was in could be very different in the NFL and at times, Johnny just threw it up to him to make plays. There were times where he was behind coverage for big plays though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS........

It's my exact worries as to why he shouldn't be considered a top 25 pick.. Everyone thinks/hopes because he's 6'5 with long arms and a wide catching radius that it'll automatically translate to success in the NFL. You are the first and only person, outside of myself, to state that johnny-football would throw it up to him to make plays (that doesn't always work in the NFL with 50/50 balls). The SEC didn't have many CB's that were even good this year or even last year....

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to Ebron he would personally be at the bottom of my list of potential guys at #10. If we traded down into the late teen's or low 20's, a slot that is more fitting for him to go, I would be fine with that. He is on my list as a possibility only because I feel he would still be a much better option than taking a tackle.

If Watkins, Barr, and Mack are all off the board but one of those tackles is still there thats probably a good thing. It should open up trade possibilities for someone wanting to come up and get him. But actually drafting that player ourselves is straight up insanity IMO

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthews the OT?

I guess, but I'm not sure why we would move Waddle and Reiff at this point. If anything, if we need another OT, take one later.

Hallelujah!!!! :agree::agree::agree: