• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins and Ebron and maybe Lee. Our defense for all its weaknesses actually played quite well down the stretch. Our offense disintegrated.

I don't think any of the best LBs fit other than Clowney.

I think Austin improves our secondary quickly. Not sure we want to draft anymore DBs. Maybe a safety to replace Delmas.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron is a phenomenal athlete at the TE position. He's closer to 6'5 than 6'4 and 245 lbs. He had 69 catches, 3 tds and 947 yards on the year. He can run after the catch and make guys miss. He's versatile and he lined up wide a lot this year. He's projected a top 15 prospect. The knock on him is that his skills need refined and he could bulk up some.

We are both wrong on his catches -- I missed his bowl game stats. He finished with 62 catches, which is still great for a TE. He will be someone to watch at the combine, as his height and 40 time could dictate where he ends up being drafted.

Thank you for the input on him. As I said -- I don't know much about him, other than what I've read. I didn't see a single game UNC played.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What am I missing on Eric Ebron? I can't say I know a whole lot about the guy, but he only had 3 touchdowns last year on 55 catches. I looked up his 40 time and they say it is in the high 4.5's to mid 4.6 and he isn't that big for a TE at 6'4".

Is he a great route runner? Or does he have unbelievable hands? Someone give me the scoop on Ebron. To take a TE in the top 10 -- He just has to be an absolute freak, like Vernon Davis, when he ran a 4.4 40.

Shorter version of Fauria with a little more speed. Doesn't block. Everyone thinks he is going to be the next Jimmy Graham.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking a TE in the top ten in insanity. All the best TE's in football were picked outside the first round generally (except for Vernon Davis and Gonzalez).

Gronk - Round 2
Witten- Round 3
Graham- Round 3

I can understand late 1st or early 2nd round but top ten? No way in hell.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron is the best offensive threat in the draft. I hope he lasts until #10. Pettigrew is a glorified offensive tackle and Fauria is sssslllllooooowwwww. This guy is a threat down field that made his QB look good on a lot of bad passes (perfect for Stafford).

#2 receivers can be found in the 3rd or 4th round if your GM is worth anything.

Ebron is the best? What about Watkins,Evans or Lee?

To be honest. I would take Jace Amaro over Ebron straight up. Guy looks like the next Gronk. Great hands and devastating blocker on the outside. Ebron doesn't even block.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron fits a certain type of offense. Seems like if the Lions are planning on implementing something similar to the Saints, Ebron would be a fit. From what I've read, he blocks but of course its not a strength. He would be good to have in a no-huddle offense too. With his versatility, he could play different roles in Detroit, as he would be a mismatch for both CB, S and LBs. He's probably not as much of an offensive threat as a Watkins but he would be someone to game plan for.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Evans or Lee before any tight end!

The Lions need a #2 WR. At this point in time a TE is a luxury. With Fuaria the Lions have a pass catching TE. They could use a better all around TE but having a guy to split out wide is a much bigger concern and those guys cost a lot in FA so the draft would be the better shopping place for WR.

Evans, Lee, and Benjiman > than TE

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of you guys are not thinking about the new coach who is going to be calling the plays. Caldwell had a franchise QB in Luck but decided to run the ball non-stop with Trent sucks donkey balls Richardson. Getting another pass catcher high makes no sense unless it is Watkins who Mayhew will choose strictly on BPA. Caldwell wants to run run and run some more.

Someone might have already said this. You are usually pretty good for analysis but caldwell wasnt in indy last year and had nothing to do with richardson.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some thoughts.
Fuck signing jason fox.
If a beast of an offensive tackle falls to ten you take him even if there isnt a "spot" for him. Great teams win in the trenches. If not, you pass.

Theres no tight end worth a top ten pick in my opinion. I also hope they dont draft a receiver at ten. I would be happy with a tackle or anyone on defense.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree that we need a Wr first. I like Evans or Lee at 10 if they grade out that high. I'm a bit concerned about Evans true speed and Lee's health. We dont need slow or we dont need a guy that misses half the season.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone might have already said this. You are usually pretty good for analysis but caldwell wasnt in indy last year and had nothing to do with richardson.

Ok sorry micro was on tha ball, should have read the whole thread first. I would also like to modify my original post anyways and say besides your backus hate you are usually pretty spot on.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree that we need a Wr first. I like Evans or Lee at 10 if they grade out that high. I'm a bit concerned about Evans true speed and Lee's health. We dont need slow or we dont need a guy that misses half the season.

WRs and lions drafts scare me. Besides calvin they have just been awful. Wlliams, rogers, young, broyles..just am very wary of using a top ten pick when I dont consider any WR coming out a surefire stud.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure fans wouldn't want this team to get the best WR possible. 90 percent of the fans should be on board with it. Even though the offense has been good, defenses only have to defend half the field and tee off on CJ all game long. That has to stop. In order for Stafford to get better and reach the next level, he must get help from someone besides CJ.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some thoughts.
Fuck signing jason fox.
If a beast of an offensive tackle falls to ten you take him even if there isnt a "spot" for him. Great teams win in the trenches. If not, you pass.

Theres no tight end worth a top ten pick in my opinion. I also hope they dont draft a receiver at ten. I would be happy with a tackle or anyone on defense.

I am begining to wonder if we should switch Reiff to RT and Waddle to LT. Nice to know that either can play both though.

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be upset with WR or TE.

Today a TE is not a luxury. I would argue that a TE is at least as important as a #2 receiver. They block more and they catch just as many balls. Not having a good receiving TE is killing the Lions. Any DE, LB, or S can cover Pettigrew. Not a matchup nightmare. Fauria wouldn't have had any success if opponents took him seriously. Those guys are hurting the offense IMO.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me, Lee is the best route runner in the draft out of the top prospects. I am so tired of Stafford having to force the ball in. For once I would like to see a guy wide friggin open.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure fans wouldn't want this team to get the best WR possible. 90 percent of the fans should be on board with it. Even though the offense has been good, defenses only have to defend half the field and tee off on CJ all game long. That has to stop. In order for Stafford to get better and reach the next level, he must get help from someone besides CJ.

Why should 90 percent of fans be on board with it? I agree wide receiver is a huge concern as they have just thrown trash on the field after calvin for a while now but why does it have to be with the first pick. I want the best defensive player available or the best offensive tackle myself.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be upset with WR or TE.

Today a TE is not a luxury. I would argue that a TE is at least as important as a #2 receiver. They block more and they catch just as many balls. Not having a good receiving TE is killing the Lions. Any DE, LB, or S can cover Pettigrew. Not a matchup nightmare. Fauria wouldn't have had any success if opponents took him seriously. Those guys are hurting the offense IMO.

But is a number two receiver what you want to spend a top ten pick on? I dont. Theres many things killing the lions, that is one of them.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But is a number two receiver what you want to spend a top ten pick on? I dont. Theres many things killing the lions, that is one of them.

Megatron is not getting any younger and has a ton of Mileage on him. We want a 2 that can become a 1 in 3 years.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins is a stud, no question. To me, he's a better prospect than Austin. Bigger, very quick and more physical.