• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TP,

Agreed. Ebron is scary good and a match-up nightmare. He's one of those players you have to take early to get him and right now, he's projected top15. This guy was out running guys in the secondary when you watch him.

If the Lions felt good about Lewan, then I'd be ok with that. He's huge and a Mishigan guy so its a fit.

I'd really love for the Lions to fill some of these things through FA so they can have a wide open selection in the draft. With Lombardi in the mix, I would think Ebron will be part of the discussion when looking at ways to help Stafford.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dane Brugler came out with his top 50 a little while ago and had Calvin Pryor at #14. Wouldn't be horribly upset if he put up some nice combine numbers and we took him. Supposedly he is 6'2 208 lbs. A stud safety would be nice to have.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also ave no problem pulling the trigger on Barr at 10. If we're going to be running a multiple, hybrid, front then he'd fit in perfectly and give us a great pass rusher from the second level.

Ansah and Young on the ends, Suh and Fairley in middle, and Barr coming from pretty much anywhere would be a lot for an opposing offensive line to handle.

Hell yeah! I would take Barr over Hopkins personally. Hopkins is a low end #1 high end #2 WR in the NFL. Barr has a chance to be a special talent.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im thinking we have to go some kind of playmaker if that is lee watkins evans or ebron im thinking that the cb out of nebraska cant think of his name but he is like 6'2 220 summtin like that anyway he should be there round 2 if not some good ones still will be like roby out of ohio state if we dont go that way and take gilbert or dennard with 10 pick then what do you guys think about taking allan robinson from psu in round 2??

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of guys I think could potentially be available at 10, here are my preferences, in order (don't get why we don't want one of the two premium rush OLBs/DEs):

Sammy Watkins (long shot)
Jake Matthews - line was fine last year but solid, pro-ready OTs are rare and very valuable.
Anthony Barr - could be a monster pass rusher.
Khalil Mack - see Barr above, whose upside I like just a bit more.
Darquese Dennard/Eric Ebron/Greg Robinson - tie depending on what happens in FA. Ebron could be great if we let Pettigrew skate in free agency. Dennard I see grading out as a #2CB, not a #1 - too slow. Robinson could be a mean RT who gives the Lions a power-run option for the first time in.....ever.

One of those guys will be there at 10.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron, Dennard, and even Gilbert aren't worth #10 IMO. The only WR worth that pick is Watkins. Give me him and then VanNoy in the second rd. If that doesn't happen then Mack and one of numerous quality WR's available in the second.
If neither of those scenarios work them move back and consider Pryor

I am having trouble grasping where all the CB love comes from? I guess you are saying that you want to watch another rookie CB struggle for a year and then repeat this conversation again next year when everyone is still saying we need another.CB. Did Sherman start as a rookie or develop a bit before he became a starter. We never develop anyone because we are always drafting someone new that gets inserted into the line up.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whichever OT falls to us.

Who is losing their job? Waddle was exceptionally good at RT last year and could secure that position very well for years to come. Are we moving Reiff inside?

I don't think trying him at center makes sense at all. If he doesn't excel there then what? For as much as we hate the guy Ravioli did a great job last year and we don't have an upgrade replacement ready to go.

If we go OT than Reiff needs to play G and replace the very, very, very average Sims and his way too large of a cap hit for his talent. That $ can a long ways in FA towards adding other talent. It's enough to give you the top FA kicker and help towards resigning our own FA's.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Sherman start as a rookie or develop a bit before he became a starter
He was plugged right in and started all 16 games and picked off 4 balls. His stats have been consistent across the board all 3 years in the league, except ints where he has had 8 the last 2 years after his initial 4 his rookie year.

So I'd say he showed the skills right away to be a great CB.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dr Eviler,

I dont see how anyone doesn't see that the Lions are still weak at CB. I'll give Slay a pass but I'd rather think of him as our #2 guy. Ive never been real high on Houston as he is average at best in my eyes and very inconsistent. His ball skills suck too! Bentley and the rest of them don't have a very high ceiling IMO. I think they get a little better.

One thing is for sure: We dont have the guys to match up with what the Bears and Packers will be coming in with next year. Plus, I could easily see where either team could take another Wr out of this deep draft. Especially the Packers.

Personally, I'd really like to see the Lions press hard for DRC in FA and let him and Slay start or draft Gilbert and let all of them battle it out in camp.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron is going to cause a lot of problems for teams in this league.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of you guys are not thinking about the new coach who is going to be calling the plays. Caldwell had a franchise QB in Luck but decided to run the ball non-stop with Trent sucks donkey balls Richardson. Getting another pass catcher high makes no sense unless it is Watkins who Mayhew will choose strictly on BPA. Caldwell wants to run run and run some more.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Evans over Lee. That man is 6'5''. Imagine CJ, Evans, Fauria, and maybe pettigrew in a goal line or red zone situation.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caldwell had a franchise QB in Luck but decided to run the ball non-stop with Trent sucks donkey balls Richardson.
I think you're forgetting that Caldwell never coached Luck or TRich.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of you guys are not thinking about the new coach who is going to be calling the plays. Caldwell had a franchise QB in Luck but decided to run the ball non-stop with Trent sucks donkey balls Richardson.

Just stop.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee is interesting but I'm not sure why you like him over Watkins. He's the most explosive WR I've seen in a while besides the smallish Austin. Teams would have to account for Watkins immediately and Im not sure Lee presents the same problem for defenses. Dennard is good but he doesn't have that same type of ability of Gilbert. Gilbert has great ball skills and has the ability to make things happen. Im actually looking for him to be gone before 10.

Dennard > Gilbert and I expect him to go first. I realize Walter Football has Gilbert rated as the top corner but I disagree. Dennard has experience in a pro style D and he's more aggressive than Gilbert. He also shines in a conference that runs more than it passes vs. Gilbert who plays in the pass heavy Big 12. I want an overall balanced CB if we take one at 10. Gilbert also has disciplinary issues so I don't think he fits the profile of the kind of player Caldwell prefers.

Lee is the prototype NFL WR. Sammy Watkins is like Julius Jones whereas Lee is like Anquan Boldin. Both have potential to be great but I think Lee compliments Megatron much better. Lee flew under the radar a bit in 2013 because Lane Kiffin is a loser but in 2012 he was a Heisman candidate. If he knee injury is minor, I like him best. I def don't want Mike Evans. Seen him play and I don't get that one at all.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we go OT than Reiff needs to play G and replace the very, very, very average Sims and his way too large of a cap hit for his talent. That $ can a long ways in FA towards adding other talent. It's enough to give you the top FA kicker and help towards resigning our own FA's.
I think that's a pretty harsh assessment of Sims, and one without much merit as far as I can tell. I don't have access to PFF rankings, but from what I've seen in the past Sims has always graded out very well. I can't recall right off the top of my head, but it was either 2011 or 2012 that he graded out as the 4th best left guard in the league.

Maybe I'm missing something, but Sims has been pretty damn solid from what I've seen...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dennard > He also shines in a conference that runs more than it passes vs. Gilbert who plays in the pass heavy Big 12. .
I'd chalk that up as a plus for Gilbert, and a minus for Dennard. I want CBs who have played in pass-happy conferences who are ready for the pass-happy NFL.

Lee is the prototype NFL WR. Sammy Watkins is like Julius Jones whereas Lee is like Anquan Boldin. Both have potential to be great but I think Lee compliments Megatron much better.
I'd take Watkins and his superior speed and burst over Lee (whom I like) any day of the week. That's just my opinion, but I think Watkins has the ability to be a game-changing weapon much more so than does Lee..

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron is the best offensive threat in the draft. I hope he lasts until #10. Pettigrew is a glorified offensive tackle and Fauria is sssslllllooooowwwww. This guy is a threat down field that made his QB look good on a lot of bad passes (perfect for Stafford).

#2 receivers can be found in the 3rd or 4th round if your GM is worth anything.

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3