• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still feel like all signs point to Dennard. As a unit, the corners collected only 2 INT all year last season...the Vikes, Bears and Pack are all loaded at WR. Dennard is the guy with an opportunity to match these big WR's in physicality 2+2 = 4.

Dennard would be fine but I would prefer a trade back if they were to go that route. He lacks Gilbert's athletic upside and ball skills. Also, Gilbert offers return game skills.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still feel like all signs point to Dennard. As a unit, the corners collected only 2 INT all year last season...the Vikes, Bears and Pack are all loaded at WR. Dennard is the guy with an opportunity to match these big WR's in physicality 2+2 = 4.

Maybe I am wrong Rob. Check out these numbers supporting your case for Dennard.

Here's a tale of the tape for consideration:
Darrelle Revis (2007, 14): 6-0, 204, 4.35 (fastest verified time), 10-5 broad, 38-inch VJPatrick Peterson (2011, 5th pick): 6-0, 219, 4.31 (fastest verified), 10-6 broad, 36-inch VJ Stephon Gilmore (2012, 10): 6-1, 190, 4.38 (fastest verified), 10-3 broad, 36-inch VJDarqueze Dennard (2014): 5-11, 199, 4.38 (fastest verified), 11-2 broad, 36-inch VJ

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions are going to load up on offense -- draft Mike Evans and say to every team they play, try and outscore us.

At this point -- they have spots to fill at Safety, OLB, DE and a #1 CB. The offense is set with the exception of one more WR. Draft the best available at #10 and force teams to score 30+ points a game.

Draft defense with the 2-7th round picks and hope they step up their rookie season. If not, next year they will have a year's worth of experience and we can add to the defense in the offseason maybe.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions are going to load up on offense -- draft Mike Evans and say to every team they play, try and outscore us.

At this point -- they have spots to fill at Safety, OLB, DE and a #1 CB. The offense is set with the exception of one more WR. Draft the best available at #10 and force teams to score 30+ points a game.

Draft defense with the 2-7th round picks and hope they step up their rookie season. If not, next year they will have a year's worth of experience and we can add to the defense in the offseason maybe.

Nobody has really brought this up yet, but what about trading up for Mack? I think he's going to be an absolute monster on defense, and he fits what we need to a tee.

I'm not a fan of trading up at all as a rule (picks= gold, more are better than higher imo), but getting a guy who by all accounts is the best LB prospect since Patrick Willis would be worth more than an Evans and Van Noy, or a Barr and WR De Jour, assuming we have to give up our second pick to go get Mack.

I love the thought of adding Evans to our offense, but Mack is probably my favorite player of the draft. We can add an impact receiver in the 3rd or even the 4th in this loaded draft, and look for help at DE, CB/Safety, and maybe even a back-up center the rest of the way.

You won't believe it, but I'm with you on the defense, defense, and more defense in the draft. I still hope we draft another receiver in the first three rounds just because of the crazy amount of talent there, but other than that I'm all about adding a OLB, Safety, DE, and CB, generally in that order of importance.

If we could somehow get Mack I'd probably jizz my pants. No single player in this draft would make a bigger immediate impact for us, imo. Look at what Luke Kuechly did a couple years ago for the Panthers- that's the kind of player I see in Mack...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody has really brought this up yet, but what about trading up for Mack? I think he's going to be an absolute monster on defense, and he fits what we need to a tee.

I'm not sure Detroit can afford to give up any draft picks right now. They need every pick they have. And while I think Mack is going to be a very good player, it is really tough to trade up for a guy who played in the MAC, though he looked good in the game against OSU this year.

Detroit could take Barr and then come back with a safety in the 2nd round, or trade back and take Dix or Pryor and get Van Noy, thus clearing up multiple needs in the 1st two rounds with high quality players.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit has a lot of options at #10 overall. I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade up or trade back. I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft any number of player (Mack, Barr, Gilbert, Dennard, Watkins, Evans, Robinson, Mathews, Lewan, etc.)

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not a fan of trading up at all as a rule (picks= gold, more are better than higher imo), but getting a guy who by all accounts is the best LB prospect since Patrick Willis would be worth more than an Evans and Van Noy, or a Barr and WR De Jour, assuming we have to give up our second pick to go get Mack.

I love the thought of adding Evans to our offense, but Mack is probably my favorite player of the draft. We can add an impact receiver in the 3rd or even the 4th in this loaded draft, and look for help at DE, CB/Safety, and maybe even a back-up center the rest of the way.

You won't believe it, but I'm with you on the defense, defense, and more defense in the draft. I still hope we draft another receiver in the first three rounds just because of the crazy amount of talent there, but other than that I'm all about adding a OLB, Safety, DE, and CB, generally in that order of importance.

If we could somehow get Mack I'd probably jizz my pants. No single player in this draft would make a bigger immediate impact for us, imo. Look at what Luke Kuechly did a couple years ago for the Panthers- that's the kind of player I see in Mack...

No trading up. I get how it can be exciting to draft that one player, but its just not worth it when they still need to add so much talent to their team. I would much rather trade down several spots.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that he has played an entire year after that injury and put up elite numbers doesn't matter? Broyles was drafted while still hurt and rushed back.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that he has played an entire year after that injury and put up elite numbers doesn't matter? Broyles was drafted while still hurt and rushed back.

I think it does matter a little, yes. Still risky, though. Maybe the mid-late rounds wouldn't be bad. He's just more prone, particularly the other knee, than someone without a history.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me Trevor Reilly if he is there in the third.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a chance you are the Wasatch Front region scout for Lions? I am all for any Ute if it helps Lions!

I had a long winded post that the internet ate.

Basically, I'm a Utes fan so I try to stay away from valuing them with homer glasses on so I wait and read scouting reports. I have read several that view him as a second rounder. If he falls to the 3rd I'd take him there.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody read anything on what compensatory pick we will get? I know we don't find out till after owners meetings. Just know some have ideas of where it will be for Cherilus. sure not 3rd but 4th or 5th should possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody read anything on what compensatory pick we will get? I know we don't find out till after owners meetings. Just know some have ideas of where it will be for Cherilus. sure not 3rd but 4th or 5th should possible.

Popular projections have us getting a 4th.