• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the Detroit Lions Must Consider Drafting a Tackle in Round 1 | Bleacher Report

If either Auburn's Greg Robinson or Jake Matthews of Texas A&M somehow fall to the 10th pick, that would almost certainly make either one the best player available, regardless of position.

It's unlikely either will, but it's not out of the question. Here's one mock draft scenario in which it can happen:

In this case, Jake Matthews jumps off the board as the best player left.
The Lions would have to take him here.
While both Reiff and Waddle impressed, neither young tackle has the high-end potential of the latest progeny of football's premier family.

Reiff offers potential to slide inside to left guard. Or the Lions could wage a camp battle between Reiff and Waddle for the starting spot opposite Matthews.
The odd man out would hold solid trade value with teams starving for quality offensive linemen.

Adding an elite-caliber offensive tackle would give the Lions a valuable commodity. They would have the rare opportunity to be sellers in a seller's market. Detroit could parlay that surplus talent into an upgrade at cornerback or defensive tackle, or pick up a nice pick in the 2015 NFL Draft.

I agree if offensive tackle is bpa at ten they must take him.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donte Moncrief; Metric All-Star

Interesting must read about WR's by Raymond Summerlin, "Out of the Box"
some tidbits from his article

The work that sites like ProFootballFocus and Football Outsiders do is stellar, and it doesn’t take statistical expertise to appreciate their analyses. They are useful regardless of your math skills.

At least 90% of a player’s evaluation has to be tape based, but a tool that uses Combine information to better identify players whose skills will translate to the next level would be very useful.

The three drills that are widely considered the most important for a wideout are the 40-yard dash, the broad jump and the vertical jump. The 40 measures a player’s acceleration and long speed, while the jumps are a great indication of a player’s explosiveness. All three traits are important to be a successful NFL receiver.

Putting them together, however, yielded an interesting result.

By adding together a player’s vertical and broad jump distances in inches and then dividing out his 40 time, I ended up with a number that I am calling the Explosiveness Index (EI).

Only 13 players since 1999 have scored better than 39 on the index. Of that list, four wide receivers became Pro Bowl level players, two more were solid NFL contributors at some point in their career, and five more are young players with varying hopes of success.

Unfortunately, no player at the 2014 Combine scored above 39 on the index. But two came very close.

Ole Miss wide receiver Donte Moncrief scored 38.97, and Baylor's Tevin Reese scored 38.78. No other player even broke 37.

Of the two, Moncrief is by far my favorite. His size and strength is magnified by his smooth route running and athleticism, and he has a real chance to be a big-time player at the next level.

BB_72...There's much more to read about Moncrief in this article; http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46395/349/donte-moncrief-metric-allstar

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've Stated before that Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief is one to watch out for in this Draft
6' 2" 220 lbs. 4.40 forty 39.5" vertical jump 132" broad jump

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've Stated before that Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief is one to watch out for in this Draft
6' 2" 220 lbs. 4.40 forty 39.5" vertical jump 132" broad jump

As well as Jordan Matthews from Vanderbilt. 6'3'' ran a 4.46 40 yard dash, 35.5 inch vertical, 21 reps on the bench press (most for a receiver). Now I know numbers alone won't prove anything, but I've had my eye on him all season, and he's impressed me.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As well as Jordan Matthews from Vanderbilt. 6'3'' ran a 4.46 40 yard dash, 35.5 inch vertical, 21 reps on the bench press (most for a receiver). Now I know numbers alone won't prove anything, but I've had my eye on him all season, and he's impressed me.

very true but there is some correlation to combine numbers = NFL success.

I wouldn't have a problem with any of the following WR's; Jordan Matthews, Donte Moncrief or Allen Robinson, should any of the three be left come round 3 or possibly a 12-15 slot trade down in the 2nd round. A trade down would depend on how many wr's were drafted in 1st round and how many teams left in the 2nd round still needing a wr, IMO, not to mention a wr grade/ranking = a pick at ? slot #

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind going Moncrief or Matthews in the 2nd if we went Gilbert in the first.

Gilbert or Evans would both be fine picks at #10 for me. I would prefer Gilbert though. Could be a star if he works at his craft.

1st-Gilbert 2nd- Moncrief/Matthews

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind going Moncrief or Matthews in the 2nd if we went Gilbert in the first.

Gilbert or Evans would both be fine picks at #10 for me. I would prefer Gilbert though. Could be a star if he works at his craft.

1st-Gilbert 2nd- Moncrief/Matthews

IF MAYHEW drafts a CB in this year, it had better be Gilbert, Dennard or trade down a lot grabbing Verrett in the back 1/4 of the 1st round. Any other CB, IMO, becomes stacking projects with the ones we already have...

I'd prefer FS Clinton-Dix or Pryor dropping down 8-10 slots as a DB pick but could live with Gilbert or Dennard...

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF MAYHEW drafts a CB in this year, it had better be Gilbert, Dennard or trade down a lot grabbing Verrett in the back 1/4 of the 1st round. Any other CB, IMO, becomes stacking projects with the ones we already have...

I'd prefer FS Clinton-Dix or Pryor dropping down 8-10 slots as a DB pick but could live with Gilbert or Dennard...

Actually wouldn't mind a trade down either but I'm hoping the Lions go after TJ Ward to fill the safety spot. That dude is a stud.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually wouldn't mind a trade down either but I'm hoping the Lions go after TJ Ward to fill the safety spot. That dude is a stud.

I would expect TJ Ward to command 6.5 - 7.5 mil a year. While he'd be worth that much, we do not have 20+ mil in cap space therefore it becomes highly unlikely to see him in a Lions uniform anytime soon.

Young and cheaper is pretty much all we can afford at the present time. The only way that can be achieved is through the draft, IMO.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young and cheaper is pretty much all we can afford at the present time. The only way that can be achieved is through the draft, IMO.

Agreed -- only way the Lions will be able to afford players like TJ Ward or Alterraun Verner is if they re-sign Suh and save about 10 million in cap space for this year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GM Mayhew ranked 25th on NFL's Best GM's list per Rotoworld

25. Martin Mayhew

Mayhew’s first draft pick was a franchise quarterback who’s still only 26 years old. The next year, he landed one of the best defensive players of a generation. That’s on top of the all-time great he inherited at receiver. So the question is, why has Mayhew’s team been so bad for the majority of his tenure? Mayhew has building blocks that are the envy of the league, but has too often surrounded them with knuckleheads and busts. One thing Mayhew got right was firing the league’s most undisciplined head coach, Jim Schwartz. Who did he replace him with? Jim Caldwell, a coach who oversaw one of the worst implosions in league history at his last job. Mayhew knows high-end talent when he sees it. He rarely misses in the first round. It’s the rest of the roster that seems to elude him. Mayhew has built an impressive foundation in Detroit, but doesn’t appear to be the man to finish the building.

Actually he's 25th of 29 GM's as there are (3) new GM's thrown into their 1st year; Clev Ray Farmer, Mia Dennis Hickey and TB Jason Licht

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46433/57/the-nfls-best-gms

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Safety Deone Bucannon

Who We're Watching: Defensive backs
in.gif

March, 7, 2014 Mar 7
11:10
AM ET

By Steve Muench | ESPN.com

Out of the eight defensive backs I recently broke down on tape two stood out: Washington State safety Deone Bucannon and Utah State corner Nevin Lawson.

At 6-foot-1 and 216 pounds, Bucannon led the Cougars in tackles each of the past two seasons and excels at defending the run. He has the upper body strength and arm length to play in the box in addition to the closing burst to get downhill when he lines up deep. The occasional missed tackle in space and bad angle show up, but they aren't repetitively glaring issues.

Bucannon isn't a one-dimensional run stopper either. He ran a 4.49 40 at the combine, and it's an accurate reflection of the speed you see on tape. He has the range to play a center fielder-type role over the top and he can run with most slot receivers, let alone tight ends.

His greatest strength may be his ability to change the complexion of a game. He's a turnover machine who intercepted 15 passes and forced seven fumbles in four seasons at Washington State. A heavy hitter, he has the closing burst, ball skills and aggressive nature to continue to make impact plays at the next level.

On the downside he can get caught out of position biting on play-action or gambling in an effort to make a play. He also has tighter hips that make it tough for him to mirror receivers getting in and out of breaks. He has a similar height-weight-speed ratio to the 49ers' 2013 first-round pick and No. 18 overall, safety
<A href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/31596/eric-reid">Eric Reid out of LSU, but Bucannon's not as fluid.

Bucannon projects as a second-round pick and the
Cincinnati Bengals make sense for a couple of reasons. The Bengals should be in the market for a playmaker at safety and he represents an upgrade over 2012 fifth-round pick George Iloka.

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Deone Bucannon

A possibility for the Lions as a SS should he still be there in the 3rd round ?

Quin is versatile having previously played FS, SS and CB for Houston

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson WR Mrtavious Bryant

Clemson WR Martavis Bryant is another prospect that has flashed big upside on tape throughout the evaluation process. At nearly 6-foot-4 and 211 pounds, Bryant has a physical skill set that translates well to the next level. He is a flat out burner on tape who flashes the ability to eat up cushions and get down the field in hurry (4.42 40-yard dash). In addition, he has a loose and flexible frame and flashes explosive leaping ability (39-inch vertical) that gives him a wide catching radius and provides him with a lot of upside as a vertical big play threat.

Admittedly, Bryant’s tape has not matched up with his physical talent level. He has had his share of focus drops and needs to continue to get stronger as a route-runner. In addition, he is a bit straight line and can have trouble dropping his weight and separating from underneath coverage. However, in Bryant’s defense, he was not a great fit within offensive coordinator Chad Morris’ scheme at Clemson which relied heavily on quick hitting underneath throws. Also Bryant’s production was hampered a bit because of inconsistent deep ball accuracy from QB Tajh Boyd on tape.

If he's able focus and maximize his potential, Bryant has the talent to become a strong No. 2 with a few years of development. However, a team drafting him with expectations for him to step in right away as a No. 2 may be a bit disappointed initially. Bryant also won’t be a fit for every team. But he has a chance to bring good value in the fringe Day 2 range with a team that has a strong armed quarterback with an established receiving corps like the 49ers, Steelers or Lions, where he can fit a role similar to the late Chris Henry who posed as a vertical threat next to Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh for the Bengals in the last half of the '00s.

"BB_72.... I'd think he's still available in the 4th round".. could be similar to current Lions WR Corey Fuller though, thus a wasted pick

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would be ecstatic if they signed ward.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be ecstatic if they signed ward.

Ward would be the perfect safety to compliment Quin. Ward is much better against the run, while Quin is much better against the pass.

Rumor is -- for whatever reason, he wants to stay in Cleveland, so we shall see if that is just agent talk to try and get people to give him a bigger offer or if he truly wants to stay in Cleveland.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
threat next to Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh for the Bengals in the last half of the '00s.

"BB_72.... I'd think he's still available in the 4th round".. could be similar to current Lions WR Corey Fuller though, thus a wasted pick

Way too early to call Fuller a wasted pick at this point. He wasn't expected to make the roster last year because he was so raw, so that's really not something to count against him.

See what he looks like in camp and especially in the preseason this year before we start writing him off.

He was a pure project when he was drafted, so he may well be a guy who needs two or even all 3 years on the practice squad before he's able to contribute, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. He was a 6th round pick, so if 2 or 3 years of development can turn him into a consistent deep threat as our #4 or #5 WR then it was worth the pick.

I know we're not a patient bunch, but Mayhew and Schwartz both stressed that he was a pick for the future, not the now. If we're talking about a 3rd or 4th round pick, that's not a good way to go, imo, but I'm fine with taking a flyer on a 6th rounder with the upside that Fuller has. He's a tremendous athlete with a long frame and deep speed.

I think he fits the "saints" offense that we're installing very well. Think of him in the Terrence Copper, Robert Meachem role as a tall(ish) vertical threat...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too early to call Fuller a wasted pick at this point. He wasn't expected to make the roster last year because he was so raw, so that's really not something to count against him.

See what he looks like in camp and especially in the preseason this year before we start writing him off.

My point was this; Drafting someone like WR Martavious Bryant, who is very similar to last years pick Corey Fuller regarding their lack of experience all around as WR's, would be wasting a pick on Bryant. not that Fuller was the wasted pick

Corey Fuller was a track guy who transitioned into football. I never expected him to even compete for a WR job until his 3rd year at best.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if it is possible for Marqise Lee to fall into the second round. I personally believe the Lions should go defense in the first two rounds but if a guy like Lee could fall to us, I would be ecstatic. I have him rated higher than Watkins (let the giggles begin) because of his ability to break open a game. He often gets downgraded for his last year but the situation at USC was anything but stable.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who We're Watching: Defensive backs
in.gif

March, 7, 2014 Mar 7
11:10
AM ET

By Steve Muench | ESPN.com

Out of the eight defensive backs I recently broke down on tape two stood out: Washington State safety Deone Bucannon and Utah State corner Nevin Lawson.

At 6-foot-1 and 216 pounds, Bucannon led the Cougars in tackles each of the past two seasons and excels at defending the run. He has the upper body strength and arm length to play in the box in addition to the closing burst to get downhill when he lines up deep. The occasional missed tackle in space and bad angle show up, but they aren't repetitively glaring issues.

Bucannon isn't a one-dimensional run stopper either. He ran a 4.49 40 at the combine, and it's an accurate reflection of the speed you see on tape. He has the range to play a center fielder-type role over the top and he can run with most slot receivers, let alone tight ends.

His greatest strength may be his ability to change the complexion of a game. He's a turnover machine who intercepted 15 passes and forced seven fumbles in four seasons at Washington State. A heavy hitter, he has the closing burst, ball skills and aggressive nature to continue to make impact plays at the next level.

On the downside he can get caught out of position biting on play-action or gambling in an effort to make a play. He also has tighter hips that make it tough for him to mirror receivers getting in and out of breaks. He has a similar height-weight-speed ratio to the 49ers' 2013 first-round pick and No. 18 overall, safety
<A href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/31596/eric-reid">Eric Reid out of LSU, but Bucannon's not as fluid.

Bucannon projects as a second-round pick and the
Cincinnati Bengals make sense for a couple of reasons. The Bengals should be in the market for a playmaker at safety and he represents an upgrade over 2012 fifth-round pick George Iloka.

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Deone Bucannon

A possibility for the Lions as a SS should he still be there in the 3rd round ?

Quin is versatile having previously played FS, SS and CB for Houston

I took a look at him on you tube. Guy looks impressive. Looks more like a second round guy though. I'd be shocked if he was there in the third. But then again nobody though we could land Warford in the third so who knows.

WR is nice but is we could land Gilbert and Bucannon this draft, I would be very happy.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dennard's Pro Day

Michigan State CB Darqueze Dennard posted a vertical jump of 36-inches and 11-foot-2 broad jump at the school's pro day.
Dennard ran an "official" 4.51 second forty at the Combine and recorded 15 bench press reps. Some teams might be concerned with Dennard's arms (30 1/4 inch) compared to his size (5'11/199), but the defensive back is extremely physical with receivers at every level of the field.

Source: [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]443424012082102272[/MEDIA]"]Dave Birkett on Twitter [/ame]
Mar 11 - 1:21 PM

Damn those are some short arms for 5' 11"... I missed that measurement from the Combine

Kid can blanket-cover though.