• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL Scouting Combine is overrated in general. I know NFL teams like to put numbers to what they see on film, but too many times we see a 40 or a vertical trump what has already been proven on the field.
More than anything, the Combine gives all of us a look into what type of work habits a player has off the field. However, that doesn’t mean you can work yourself to a great 40 time or an explosive broad jump. I have seen and played with players who get beat on the stopwatch in shorts and a T-shirt, but have never gotten caught on the football field. There is a huge difference between track speed and functional football speed.
That being said, every year momentum is created in a positive and negative direction for a few players leaving Indy. Here are my three players who did well for themselves, and three whose stock took a hit at the Combine.

The rest of the article can be read here; Brandin Cooks among players who made money at the Combine | FOX Sports on MSN

Mack is my #1 player but DAMN Aaron Donald is definitely my #2 overall player. Defense First, IMO. If Mayhew doesn't pick up Fairley's 5th year option and can/would trade down a few slots, Donald is on my draft wish list...
I wouldn't be opposed to Donald at DE. He's a bit short for the spot, but with that size/speed combo he'd be a force as a power rusher off the end. I could see going with a power rush with him, Suh, and Fairley all collapsing the pocket out towards Ansah.

We don't need another DT, per se, but if he could play DE and rotate with Suh and Ansah at DT I think he'd give us great value...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be opposed to Donald at DE. He's a bit short for the spot, but with that size/speed combo he'd be a force as a power rusher off the end. I could see going with a power rush with him, Suh, and Fairley all collapsing the pocket out towards Ansah.

We don't need another DT, per se, but if he could play DE and rotate with Suh and Ansah at DT I think he'd give us great value...

This kid is a straight up BALLER, IMO. In a 3-4 set, you could have Ansah as a stand-up Outside rush LB, Suh as LDE, Fairley inside and Donald at RDE.... He made every team he opposed this year in the ACC and at the Senior Bowl look bad.... Yep, he's short and only ways 285/289 but his speed to power conversion is out of this world. London Fletcher was always remarked on about his size, granted as a LB, but still.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do not ever fly Delta Airlines. There isn't a bigger pile of shit company on the planet. Tell everyone you know, you are doing them a favor

Aw, the Unfriendly Skies are just as bad. American I like OK, but none of them compare to the good Asian and European airlines who still understand the concept of customer service.

Listen, I've flown friggin' Air India, Ryanair (if you ever want to see 'shut the hell up, sit down, and we'll fly service, try them), and, God help me, Aeroflot. In comparison all US carriers are great, though some of the service people can be truly assholes or imbeciles.

I'd advise instead to never fly through Jersey. The local assholery extends to the airline employees and Newark is just the fifth ring of hell if you ever have a problem. I remember telling one bitch that she should head down to any local high school and pick out a random freshman who owned a $500 Dell computer - he could solve the problem she found insurmountable (my son and I had the same first and last names on the same itinerary) in about 5 minutes since United's online reservations included middle names.

The same warning applies to Philadelphia - put an airport in a city full of assholes and you'll encounter assholes working the airport.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We don't need another DT, per se, but if he could play DE and rotate with Suh and Ansah at DT I think he'd give us great value...[/QUOTE]

Not at this time we don't when we're talking about a starter. Have you looked 'at the rotational DT's currently on the roster. CJ Mosley (glad he's a LION), Jimmy Saddler-McQueen (sure) and Proctor (WTF WHO ?). I'll reference my multiple readings of articles from Mayhew's displeasure with Fairley and that club option for his 5th year that hasn't been picked up. I get the, let's don't stack the position when there exists other areas of need but DAMN I get tired of Fairley taking plays off. Want Proof ? Go back and look at the Philly game. Suh didn't quit in that game. Fairley played like he HATED being there...and he did the same in the Cincy and TB home games.

Did you see what Carolina did with their 1st two draft picks last year. 1st round DT Star Lotuleilei and 2nd round pick DT Kawann Short. These two paired with Charles Johnson and Greg Hardy put so much pressure on the damn QB's, along with their LB corps Kuechly and Davis etc., which made the secondary appear better than what they really are.... DB's Josh Norman (2nd year), Captain Munnerlyn, Robert Lester (rookie), our old buddy Drayton Florence, DeQuan Menzie (another Lions reject). Do any of those DB's scare you. Josh Norman ran like a 4.6 forty if I'm not mistaken, Lester ran a 4.6+ forty at their respective combines. I personally watched many Bama games over the last 3 decades and Lester regressed his rJR and rSR years. He became Stiff hipped and absolutely lost in coverage once Bama SS Mark Barron was drafted.

When I look at our CB's compared to Carolina's, Bentley, Slay, Houston, Green and Greenwood have more talent than the aforementioned Panther DB's, IMO.

The front 7 for Carolina is what makes their defense. Hence the fact as to why I want Mack (1st rd) or VanNoy or Shazier (2nd rd). Mack is highly unlikely at #10, so I'm assuming he's out of the realm of draft possibilities. However, picking up DT Donald, in a trade down and then getting VanNoy or Shazier solidies our front 7 and supplies DC Austin with ample ways to mix 3-4 looks, JMO. Maybe look for a FA FS/SS because after Pryor and Clinton-Dix that position gets really thin as far as talent and it has been noted by all the talking heads. Maybe SS Bucannon or Jimmie Ward late 2nd round (that kills possibilities for VanNoy or Shazier) or they possibly make it to early 3rd round.

I like Pryor and Clinton-Dix as well in a trade down as either of those could be impact players a lot sooner than taking a CB at #10 that will more than likely take at 1 yr or 2-3 yrs before you see an impact on the field.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions seeking a young C to eventually succeed Raiola

Dominic Raiola wants to play two more years with the Detroit Lions, and the way he finished last season, that’s a distinct possibility.

It’s not a high priority, but if the opportunity presents itself, the Lions could take a center somewhere in the middle of May’s NFL draft.

Leroy Harris should enter this season as the Lions’ top reserve interior lineman. The Lions signed him last spring with an eye toward this year, as he recovered from a torn ACL. “I’m comfortable with him in the game,” Mayhew said..... that hurts Dr. Evil in the worst way, not cutting Harris and saving 2 mil

In the draft, Lions coach Jim Caldwell said he’ll be looking for a “smart, intelligent, tough, durable” center. Arkansas’ Travis Swanson, USC’s Marcus Martin, Oklahoma’s Gabe Ikard and Florida State’s Bryan Stork are among the top prospects at the position.

here's the entire article; Detroit Lions seeking a young center to — eventually — succeed Dominic Raiola | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Maybe not drafting a center this year isn't a priority after all. It's also a weak talent position this year

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooper's contract other WR FA's

Cooper got $8 million fully guaranteed and will have a $1.8-million cap number this year. Houston got $7.5 million fully guaranteed and had a $2.3-million cap charge last year, on a deal worth a total of $25 million over five years.

Eric Decker is considered the best receiver available, and one NFL agent who represents another pass catcher about to hit the market said he expects Decker to get a long-term deal worth about $7 million per season.

After Decker, Jeremy Maclin, Golden Tate, Hakeem Nicks, Julian Edelman, Anquan Boldin, Emmanuel Sanders, James Jones and Andre Roberts are in the next tier of receivers, similar to Cooper, depending on taste.

Maclin reportedly is in talks to stay with the Eagles, and Boldin is expected to re-sign with the San Francisco 49ers.

The Lions are about $9 million under this year’s projected salary cap of $133 million — only 10 teams had less room as of this morning — and have holes to fill at tight end (Brandon Pettigrew is free agent), defensive end (Willie Young, too) and safety, along with receiver.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Birkett-live chat notes

do you think the Lions have interest in Malcolm Jenkins?
I wrote this the other day in my post-combine wrap, but the name I heard they'll target at safety is Chris Clemons from Miami. Byrd probably is too expensive or going elsewhere. Ward, too.

do you expect the Lions to play more bump and run or zone in 2014?
Sounds like the Lions will play more man. Teryl Austin is a big proponent of big, physical CBs, and with some of the blitzing that he's promising, that makes sense.

Who do you see as the backup QB this year.
Shaun Hill's still a possibility. Luke McCown is another one. He played for Lombardi last year in New Orleans, knows the system, is a vet. I don't think they roll with Kellen Moore as the No. 2 guy.
I could see them using a late-round pick on the position. Kellen Moore was Scott Linehan's guy, if Lombardi falls in love with a young guy it's worth a late-round pick or to bring him in as a priority free agent.

After Mayhew reportedly said the team is happy with their current DB's Chris Houston, Darius Slay, Bill Bentley, etc. What do you think the chances are they draft Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennard?
The public perception of the CBs has always been a little at odds with their views internally. No one would inside the organization would tell you they're set there, but they believe Slay is ready for prime time and if Houston can bounce back, those are your starters (plus Bentley in the nickel). They also know, though, that that's not enough to survive the year. Again, you'll see them address the position one way or another in the coming months. But WR and S are higher priorities. And defensive end (Willie Young) and tight end (Pettigrew), too.

If Watkins is gone, could you see Lions taking LB Barr?
need to do some more work on that one because I know lots of people - including some in the Lions organization - are high on Barr. I just don't know how he'd fit yet. Presumably as a LB who stays on the field and rushes in nickel situations. My sense is he's considered a tick below Mack, but is a really high-upside pass rusher and one the Lions would consider at 10

who takes dennard?
He's a first-round pick, but maybe 15-25 range. The Bears are going to be drafting defense. Or maybe Arizona.

How is Justin Gilbert (corner, OKST) NOT the pick come April? He was a stud on the field, fastest 40 of ANY DB (4.37), is this guy not a stud or what?
He'll be in the mix, but when has Mayhew ever taken a DB that high? He's not on Patrick Peterson's level.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salary cap going up 8% hoes. Enough of the we are in dire straights salary cap talk.

Their financial position is a mess regardless of the salary cap going up..especially since suh is not signed and the number hes getting hasnt been figured out yet. Three players taking a large percentage of the cap means problems. These are problems Im ok with though. I would rather see the lions drafting, developing and signing their own talent rather then signing other teams has beens.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw hw did you know i was a ho?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aw, the Unfriendly Skies are just as bad. American I like OK, but none of them compare to the good Asian and European airlines who still understand the concept of customer service.

Listen, I've flown friggin' Air India, Ryanair (if you ever want to see 'shut the hell up, sit down, and we'll fly service, try them), and, God help me, Aeroflot. In comparison all US carriers are great, though some of the service people can be truly assholes or imbeciles.

I'd advise instead to never fly through Jersey. The local assholery extends to the airline employees and Newark is just the fifth ring of hell if you ever have a problem. I remember telling one bitch that she should head down to any local high school and pick out a random freshman who owned a $500 Dell computer - he could solve the problem she found insurmountable (my son and I had the same first and last names on the same itinerary) in about 5 minutes since United's online reservations included middle names.

The same warning applies to Philadelphia - put an airport in a city full of assholes and you'll encounter assholes working the airport.

Put an airport in a shithole and you will get a shithole airport. Sorry you had to go through newark, that is quite possibly worst than detroit and/or mexico.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know Mexico City was my best experience in an airport ever. I extended my stay and got charged for a change in my flight. I finally found out after going back and forth between opposite ends of the airport between Delta and a different airline that I had a connecting flight on that my flight never actually got changed. Luckily for me the beautiful woman working the ticket counter at Delta knew there was open seats on her flight into Houston and the connection to Kansas City and gave me a ticket. It was kind of her since according to their system I only had a ticket for two months earlier than that day. I'm pretty sure it was my dimples. It was a great flight flirting with her; unfortunately, I had to take my connecting flight. Now I get to sit around and reminisce on what might have been.

I did have a good time in the Atlanta airport learning French from a girl in the Sam Adams bar, but the airline I was dealing with were assholes and my 7 hour layover was one hundred percent their fault (airtran who I haven't tried since being bought out by Southwest.)

Last edited by a moderator:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gang -

Might be a little out of order but I have merged all the chatter about potential 2014 draftees into this thread. We can keep it updated with new players, ideas etc...leading up to the draft.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think of Calvin Pryor. Some are calling him a bigger Bob Sanders. Might be an option at 10 if Mayhew decided to get crazy.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think of Calvin Pryor. Some are calling him a bigger Bob Sanders. Might be an option at 10 if Mayhew decided to get crazy.

Value-wise, Pryor, Clinton-Dix, Gilbert and Dennard shouldn't be drafted before #18, IMO, but they will. I know Dr. Evil and I both like Pryor a lot. I believe Pryor is a Day 1 impact "SS only" to begin with until he gets up to NFL speed with pass coverage. It is much easier for a college Safety to make an impact versus a college CB in their 1st 2 years...BTW, Quin played CB, FS and SS at Houston so he's interchangeable position wise. The Lions are going to a more traditional FS/SS
structured alignment

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put an airport in a shithole and you will get a shithole airport. Sorry you had to go through newark, that is quite possibly worst than detroit and/or mexico.

Any US airport is fine. I've been to Mumbai, India, probably 10 or 12 times, and after that it's all gravy. Even the Vietnamese airports looked organized in comparison. Other than Chihuahua City I've only landed in Mexico as a touristo and didn't really notice.

The key to success in US airports is starting out by being nice to the airline employee, and lying convincingly. I have never yet failed to make a standby flight on a Friday where I told the female attendee "Thank you, do what you can. If I make this flight I'll be home in time to kiss my kids goodnight, so I appreciate whatever you can do."

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know Mexico City was my best experience in an airport ever. I extended my stay and got charged for a change in my flight. I finally found out after going back and forth between opposite ends of the airport between Delta and a different airline that I had a connecting flight on that my flight never actually got changed. Luckily for me the beautiful woman working the ticket counter at Delta knew there was open seats on her flight into Houston and the connection to Kansas City and gave me a ticket. It was kind of her since according to their system I only had a ticket for two months earlier than that day. I'm pretty sure it was my dimples. It was a great flight flirting with her; unfortunately, I had to take my connecting flight. Now I get to sit around and reminisce on what might have been.

I did have a good time in the Atlanta airport learning French from a girl in the Sam Adams bar, but the airline I was dealing with were assholes and my 7 hour layover was one hundred percent their fault (airtran who I haven't tried since being bought out by Southwest.)

So basically you liked the airport due to contact with a sexy gal. Thats understandable, if only all airports followed this protocol!

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any US airport is fine. I've been to Mumbai, India, probably 10 or 12 times, and after that it's all gravy. Even the Vietnamese airports looked organized in comparison. Other than Chihuahua City I've only landed in Mexico as a touristo and didn't really notice.

The key to success in US airports is starting out by being nice to the airline employee, and lying convincingly. I have never yet failed to make a standby flight on a Friday where I told the female attendee "Thank you, do what you can. If I make this flight I'll be home in time to kiss my kids goodnight, so I appreciate whatever you can do."

Thanks for the tip...I dont travel nearly as much as you do.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teddy Bridge juicing??

NFL Films' Greg Cosell stated on the Ross Tucker Podcast that he's heard Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater's weight dropped to 188 pounds late in the 2013 college season.

Cosell is very plugged-in around the NFL, so we don't doubt this for a second. "He bulked up to 214 for the Combine," said Cosell. "I've spoken to people who said that late in the year at Louisville, he weighed 188."

On tape, Cosell was impressed with Bridgewater's comfort in the pocket and coverage reading, but concerned about his "very slight" build and average arm strength. "He doesn't really drive the ball, Bridgewater," Cosell stated. "He's a bit of a short-armer."

IMO Teddy B will be this drafts biggest bust. Might never even get his feet off the ground in the NFL. Watched him play many times and never saw what others see.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This time it's buzz about last years no.1 Eric Fisher

An anonymous AFC executive guesses Chiefs OT Eric Fisher wouldn't even be a top-15 pick in the 2014 draft because the class is so strong.

Fisher, of course, went No. 1 overall last April in a class that was considered to be on the weak side. "The whole draft is really strong. Best draft I’ve seen," said new Bucs GM Jason Licht. "It’s probably tilted a little more toward offense, but it’s a strong draft." The 2014 class may not have the surefire quarterback, but it makes up for it with plenty of depth and playmakers.

Very bold statement. What does this say about the rest of the top 5-10 from last year?

As a Lions fan, I feel like Ziggy would still be the 2nd best D player behind Clowney in this draft. Hindsight is 20/20 but his 8 sacks and the ability to play the run like a vet in his first year was highly impressive.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teddy Bridge juicing??

NFL Films' Greg Cosell stated on the Ross Tucker Podcast that he's heard Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater's weight dropped to 188 pounds late in the 2013 college season.

Cosell is very plugged-in around the NFL, so we don't doubt this for a second. "He bulked up to 214 for the Combine," said Cosell. "I've spoken to people who said that late in the year at Louisville, he weighed 188."

On tape, Cosell was impressed with Bridgewater's comfort in the pocket and coverage reading, but concerned about his "very slight" build and average arm strength. "He doesn't really drive the ball, Bridgewater," Cosell stated. "He's a bit of a short-armer."

IMO Teddy B will be this drafts biggest bust. Might never even get his feet off the ground in the NFL. Watched him play many times and never saw what others see.

I highly disagree here. Bridgewater is the most NFL ready and reminds me of a more thin Aaron Rogers. The way he slides around in the pocket and keeps his eyes down field. Dude also has pinpoint accuracy. A testament to his career 68.4 completion percentage.