• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duh?

Is this even a debate? I don't think people realize the quality season Young had last year. He graded out far higher than he gets credit for...

This is interesting, too. I can recall quite a few conversations where someone would be talking about this strong safety we need, or so-and-so would be the perfect free safety for us, when, in reality, we didn't run a system that designeated either safety as strong or free.

Same with LBs. We had a right outside linebacker and a left outside linebacker, not a will or sam like a traditional defense has.

Now we're going back to more defined roles at both spots... should be interesting to follow. I think it will help more with the LBs than at safety, but we shall see.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Twentyman and Mike O'hara talk Combine

Sammy Watkins is the best receiver in this class, and he’s my pick if he’s on the board, but Evans should get some serious consideration in Watkins is off the board, in my opinion.

Since you brought up Mike Evans, the readers can get in on the discussion we’ve had about him since we got to the Combine a week ago. Big, yes. Good hands, yes. Fast enough for his size, yes.

You’re right about all that. And you’re also right about the coaches teaching him to run more routes and betters. News flash: it’s not against the rules to coach players.

But my concern about Evans is that he might not be able to overpower physical cornerbacks in the pros, and if he can’t, there might be a long period of adjustment for him. The Lions need a ready-made starter at receiver to take some of the attention away from Calvin Johnson.

Wide receiver should be the priority, but would you jump off the Ambassador Bridge if the Lions went for another position at No. 10? Like linebacker, cornerback or – gasp! – offensive line?

Tim and Mike: Impressions of NFL Scouting Combine

Situations and needs can change according to which free agents are signed, but coming out of the draft, the biggest need is a receiver. It wouldn’t be a mistake – or a surprise – if the Lions drafted two receivers in the first three or four rounds.

I don’t think it’ll happen, but if Watkins can get by Oakland at No. 5 and Buffalo at No. 9, I think he’s the one player who makes the most immediate impact for the Lions.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions know improving secondary will increase sack totals

Lions know that improving secondary will increase sack totals

“I think if we can do a better job in the coverage area, we’ll get more sacks.

What they need is more consistency in the back of their defense from the Likes of Chris Houston and their young cornerbacks.

“I’m very confident in Chris,” Mayhew said of Houston’s struggles in 2013. “He’s a veteran player. He knows how to play the game. As you know, he had some injury issues and some off-field issues last season, so we’re confident in Chris' game.”
The Lions will also hope another offseason under their belt and the experience that comes with that will raise the game of young cornerbacks like Darius Slay, Bill Bentley, Chris Greenwood and Jonte Green.

“I think all those guys are still improving,” Mayhew said of his crop of young cornerbacks. “I think if you look at, you know, how they played as rookies or how they performed as rookies and how they played last year, that was improvement there. We want to see continued improvement from that group.

"I thought Bill Bentley played some solid football for us at times. He also dealt with some injury issues. (Chris) Greenwood finally got an opportunity to get on the field, played some good football for us. Jonte Green didn’t play early, but came on late due to injuries and played solid for us at times. Obviously, Darius Slay has a bright future and he finished up strong in the Vikings game.”

It’s a young group, however, and still developing.
Don’t be surprised if a mix of veteran free agents and rookie draft picks join the roster at both cornerback and safety to help bolster that unit.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duh?

Is this even a debate? I don't think people realize the quality season Young had last year. He graded out far higher than he gets credit for...

Now we're going back to more defined roles at both spots... should be interesting to follow. I think it will help more with the LBs than at safety, but we shall see.
______________________________________________________________________________________
Tpaul..... Agreed

I thought the few chances he was given during Avril's and VandenBosch's time he had flashed some and yet disappeared for long stretches also. He'll come cheap and we need his experience no matter how some may view him. I thought he provided good run support and rush skills. He did have a hand/finger injury back in 2012 that limited him quite a bit. He is worthy of a limited $$-wise 2-3 yrear contract with not much guaranteed.

Quin is quite versatile as he played both safety positions in Houston and also CB while they were grooming ex-Bama CB Kareem Jackson... In case they draft a SS, Quin could move back to FS and Carey can cover the slot if necessary

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions have need at Safety

Lions could have their choice between two very different safeties

Calvin Pryor and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, by most accounts, are the two top safeties available in May’s NFL Draft.

They’re also two very different players.

Pryor (5-11, 207) is the thumper. He excels in the box as a devastating hitter.
“I can play strong safety, free safety, I can come up and hit, I feel like I can cover, I’m a playmaker.

Clinton-Dix (6-1, 208) is more of a cover safety at his best in the deep part of the field.
“I play fast, I’m very physical, I’m not afraid to line up against the slot, I can do it all,’’ Clinton-Dix said.

The one thing Clinton-Dix has been trying to prove to teams is he can also play in the box and be versatile.
“My sophomore year I wasn’t in the box that much, but my junior year I feel I got involved in the box a lot and was able to make a lot of tackles in the box,” he said. “I think I can play both deep field and inside the box.”

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said both Pryor and Clinton-Dix are top-10 picks after watching them on tape

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget looking at the Video

aid:530fe0f4c94c3df900690009;c:Uw_g9AAHWtCQDhfg-EhNRKyB746LcWs09p10TQ;s:6bdb00c88686993b;cid:82220;ts:1393549556430
forums
p-01nD5uD1pGDW2.gif

it

You gotta love just staring at her ASS....from Walter Football mock draft site

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salary cap going up 8% hoes. Enough of the we are in dire straights salary cap talk.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

aid:530fe0f4c94c3df900690009;c:Uw_g9AAHWtCQDhfg-EhNRKyB746LcWs09p10TQ;s:6bdb00c88686993b;cid:82220;ts:1393549556430
forums
p-01nD5uD1pGDW2.gif

it

You gotta love just staring at her ASS....from Walter Football mock draft site

That ass is good enough to make an atheist to think twice about there being no God.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions could have their choice between two very different safeties

Calvin Pryor and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, by most accounts, are the two top safeties available in May’s NFL Draft.

They’re also two very different players.

Pryor (5-11, 207) is the thumper. He excels in the box as a devastating hitter.
“I can play strong safety, free safety, I can come up and hit, I feel like I can cover, I’m a playmaker.

Clinton-Dix (6-1, 208) is more of a cover safety at his best in the deep part of the field.
“I play fast, I’m very physical, I’m not afraid to line up against the slot, I can do it all,’’ Clinton-Dix said.

The one thing Clinton-Dix has been trying to prove to teams is he can also play in the box and be versatile.
“My sophomore year I wasn’t in the box that much, but my junior year I feel I got involved in the box a lot and was able to make a lot of tackles in the box,” he said. “I think I can play both deep field and inside the box.”

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said both Pryor and Clinton-Dix are top-10 picks after watching them on tape

Top 10 picks was what I got from that. We interviewed them both. I am hopeful since that is the spot we get the MOST improvement of the players on the field. Don Carey is a joke to even mention in the context of anything other than special teams and desperation due to injuries.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be imagining things but I swear I read somewhere that every 1st rounder the Lions have taken under Mayhew WASNT brought in for an interview.

I'll look for the story later.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 10 picks was what I got from that. We interviewed them both. I am hopeful since that is the spot we get the MOST improvement of the players on the field. Don Carey is a joke to even mention in the context of anything other than special teams and desperation due to injuries.

What Don Carey did you watch play last season?

Don't me wrong, he's no star player, but he played some decent football for us last year. I'd rather see us draft or sign someone else to start opposite Quin for sure, but Carey certainly has some value in our defense based on his play last year. His run support was particularly good, which makes him a good fit near the line of scrimmage in the nickel or dime looks to match up with a TE or RB.

Again, I'm not trying to over-sell him, he's a marginal starter at best, and is better served for sub-package duty, but a joke he is not...

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Don Carey did you watch play last season?

Don't me wrong, he's no star player, but he played some decent football for us last year. I'd rather see us draft or sign someone else to start opposite Quin for sure, but Carey certainly has some value in our defense based on his play last year. His run support was particularly good, which makes him a good fit near the line of scrimmage in the nickel or dime looks to match up with a TE or RB.

Again, I'm not trying to over-sell him, he's a marginal starter at best, and is better served for sub-package duty, but a joke he is not...

A couple good plays does not overshadow the really bad plays he had. I look at him as more of a liability on defense but a positive on special teams.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be imagining things but I swear I read somewhere that every 1st rounder the Lions have taken under Mayhew WASNT brought in for an interview.

This was true until last year, if memory serves me right. The Lions coached the 2013 Senior Bowl team and Mayhew/Schwartz/Gunther had all day long in practices with Ansah, as he played for their squad.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If thats true then its just another thing to add to the list of why he's the worst GM in the league. Go ahead and buy sight unseen cause you stupidly think you are fooling people as to your real intent. What a fucking moron. I can't see any way that this guy is ever going to give us a winner.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe it's more than just the 1st round. I read a report that stated the last few years we only drafted one player that the front office interviewed beforehand.

I remember b/c everyone always got so excited when certain players would come to meet with us, only to see them never get drafted.

At first I didn't put much stock into it, b/c watching tape on players should be what matters. But then I started thinking like what Eviler said. We have drafted so many busts, maybe the fact that we're drafting guys we've never talked to have something to do with that? Maybe these character flaws would've been seen had they taken the time to sit down and speak with them?

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do not ever fly Delta Airlines. There isn't a bigger pile of shit company on the planet. Tell everyone you know, you are doing them a favor

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players Lions interviewed for 2013 Draft

Lions to host Ducks' Dion Jordan in predraft visit today | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

The Lions have hosted most of their 30 allotted team visits and have one scheduled with another possible top-10 pick, West Virginia receiver Tavon Austin, later this week.
Here’s a list of the Lions’ known pre-draft visits so far:
OL – Eric Fisher, Chance Warmack, Brian Winters, Vinston Painter, Travis Frederick, LaAdrian Waddle
RB – Onterio McCalebb, Mike Cox
FB - Kyle Juszczyk
WR – Justin Hunter, Cordarrelle Patterson, Robert Woods
TE – Michael Williams, Dion Sims, Travis Kelce,
DE – Will Gholston
LB – Manti Te’o, Jeremiah Green
CB – Dee Milliner, David Amerson, Rashaan Melvin
S – Cody Davis
P – Sam Martin

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article is EXACTLY how I feel about the Combine in general

The NFL Scouting Combine is overrated in general. I know NFL teams like to put numbers to what they see on film, but too many times we see a 40 or a vertical trump what has already been proven on the field.
More than anything, the Combine gives all of us a look into what type of work habits a player has off the field. However, that doesn’t mean you can work yourself to a great 40 time or an explosive broad jump. I have seen and played with players who get beat on the stopwatch in shorts and a T-shirt, but have never gotten caught on the football field. There is a huge difference between track speed and functional football speed.
That being said, every year momentum is created in a positive and negative direction for a few players leaving Indy. Here are my three players who did well for themselves, and three whose stock took a hit at the Combine.

The rest of the article can be read here; Brandin Cooks among players who made money at the Combine | FOX Sports on MSN

Mack is my #1 player but DAMN Aaron Donald is definitely my #2 overall player. Defense First, IMO. If Mayhew doesn't pick up Fairley's 5th year option and can/would trade down a few slots, Donald is on my draft wish list...

Last edited by a moderator: