• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Lions fan, I feel like Ziggy would still be the 2nd best D player behind Clowney in this draft. Hindsight is 20/20 but his 8 sacks and the ability to play the run like a vet in his first year was highly impressive.
And he did it all to the tune of $3.3 milly. Avril's money this year was only $300k more, but his increase this year is $5 mil more than Ansah. And Ansah has waaaay more upside/potential.

Overall, I love the trade off. We released a vet that wanted too much money and drafted a player that had a ton of promise and showed that on the field as well. Sign Suh and our D-line will be formidable for years.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A testament to his career 68.4 completion percentage.
And he has steadily increased almost every statistical category with each year. His YPA increased to over 9yds. With his almost 70% comp percentage, that's a big YPA.

He should be the first QB taken in the draft IMO.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Lions Insider Tim 20man

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix or CB – Dennard/Gilbert?

20man: I’ve said all along I’m not big on drafting cornerbacks high unless they are graded out like Patrick Peterson was in 2011. Gilbert is not at that level.

There is usually a tough adjustment period for cornerbacks when they jump to the NFL. The speed of the game is so different from the college level. Offensive passing schemes are so complicated.
The Lions insist they’re ready to win now and I’m not sure a cornerback comes in and helps right away unless he’s a special talent.
The safety position is a little different, in my opinion. The last five safeties taken in the first round all started immediately as rookies and contributed.
Coming from Alabama, and the pro-style scheme they play under Nick Saban, Clinton-Dix would have the best chance to come in and make a bigger impact.
______________________________________________________________________________________
Pretty much what I have been stating regarding college Safeties transitioning to the NFL.

10 QUESTIONS WITH TWENTYMAN: How might the Lions address their needs?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he did it all to the tune of $3.3 milly. Avril's money this year was only $300k more, but his increase this year is $5 mil more than Ansah. And Ansah has waaaay more upside/potential.

Overall, I love the trade off.

I still think the Lions draft Ansah even if Cliff agrees to that 10 million/3 year deal.

Ansah replaced Vandenbosch at RE while we're still looking for our new LE.

Last year Avril was replaced by the Jason Jones/Willie Young/Devin Taylor LE turnstile.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Overall, I love the trade off. We released a vet that wanted too much money and drafted a player that had a ton of promise and showed that on the field as well. Sign Suh and our D-line will be formidable for years.

This. Ansah is much cheaper and already almost better than avril. Cant wait to see how amazing he is in a few years.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any of you guys sleeping on Taylor Lewan at #10? There were rumors of kicking Reiff to Guard last season, maybe less of a chance this draft due to Reiff "holding his own" last season, but still a possibility.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any of you guys sleeping on Taylor Lewan at #10? There were rumors of kicking Reiff to Guard last season, maybe less of a chance this draft due to Reiff "holding his own" last season, but still a possibility.

I know alot of people dont want an offensive lineman at number ten but offensive tackle is the only position on offense I would be ok with at ten. The reason being is that teams win by building their lines and just because the line did well last year does not guarantee success this year. As fans we should know by now that because a player has one good year or bad year does not guarantee he will repeat that the following season. Levy and houston are great examples.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any of you guys sleeping on Taylor Lewan at #10?

I don't think he'll be anything special. Maybe he'll be an ok RT at best. He looks nothing like an NFL left tackle to me in games. He took a big step down this year imo.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Id go to training camp to spit on him.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This guy might just be a freak of nature.... But if I was to put money on any player in the draft that is "Juicing", it would be this guy.[/QUOTE]
___________________________________________________________________________________
Orrrr Maybe it's dis guy... Nah, Urban Meyer doesn't allow cheaters, juicers, felons, douchebags or the occasional murderer in his football programs...

Ryan Shazier Workouts Bench 25 reps, Vert. 42", Broad 130", 40 4.36, 20 Shuttle 4.21, 3-Cone 6.91

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hhhmmmmm, interesting

2014 NFL Draft: Finding the Best Schematic Fit for Top Defensive Linemen

By Scott Carasik , Featured Columnist Mar 7, 2014

4. Anthony Barr, UCLA

Best Schematic Fit: 4-3 weak-side defensive end in a 9-technique
This is one of the most specific alignments out of any player in this article. It's for good reason. Anthony Barr is a poor fit as a defensive lineman unless he's going to play in the Wide 9 alignment that few teams in the NFL use.
Barr is at his best when he can use his athleticism to chase down a quarterback from the blind side. His length and frame make him a good developmental prospect along the lines of John Abraham. He's not great against the run and would be a poor fit if he has to set the edge every single down.

3. Jeremiah Attaochu, Georgia Tech

Best Schematic Fit: Strong-side defensive end in a 4-3
Jeremiah Attaochu can play any linebacker spot in any scheme. He can also play defensive end on either side in the 4-3. However, his best fit is at strong-side end in the 4-3 just like Cameron Wake in Miami.
Attaochu is a bit undersized for the 4-3, but he can bend the edge, rush from the 9-technique and even understands how to set the edge effectively against the run. With his high-level athleticism, he can also drop into coverage in zone-blitz plays that allow him to play short zones.

to read on; 2014 NFL Draft: Finding the Best Schematic Fit for Top Defensive Linemen | Bleacher Report

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think that our top priorities should be WR, CB, FS in that order. If watkins isnt there, i say evans. Kid is 6'5'', imagine him lining up with Calvin, Faruia, and Durham in the red zone.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should LT Matthews/Robinson be available at #10

Why the Detroit Lions Must Consider Drafting a Tackle in Round 1 | Bleacher Report

If either Auburn's Greg Robinson or Jake Matthews of Texas A&M somehow fall to the 10th pick, that would almost certainly make either one the best player available, regardless of position.

It's unlikely either will, but it's not out of the question. Here's one mock draft scenario in which it can happen:

In this case, Jake Matthews jumps off the board as the best player left.
The Lions would have to take him here.
While both Reiff and Waddle impressed, neither young tackle has the high-end potential of the latest progeny of football's premier family.

Reiff offers potential to slide inside to left guard. Or the Lions could wage a camp battle between Reiff and Waddle for the starting spot opposite Matthews.
The odd man out would hold solid trade value with teams starving for quality offensive linemen.

Adding an elite-caliber offensive tackle would give the Lions a valuable commodity. They would have the rare opportunity to be sellers in a seller's market. Detroit could parlay that surplus talent into an upgrade at cornerback or defensive tackle, or pick up a nice pick in the 2015 NFL Draft.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think that our top priorities should be WR, CB, FS in that order. If watkins isnt there, i say evans. Kid is 6'5'', imagine him lining up with Calvin, Faruia, and Durham in the red zone.

Should the Lions sign a respectable #2 WR in FA, I believe that 1st/2nd round pick of a WR goes out the window. It will obviously depend on whom they sign.

I think with the 4 drafted CB's in the last 2 years, along with Houston, our 1st round priority should be one of the two FS (Clinton-Dix or Pryor). After these two are drafted, the quality of talent as a FS drops off IMO. I would prefer that Mayhew trade down 4-8 slots bringing more value to drafting either of them.

I would completely understand Mayhew drafting either of the CB's in Gilbert or Dennard even though I believe the following CB's (Bentley, Green and Greenwood) deserve 1 more year to get on the field and prove their worth.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would be nice but their defense needs a stud much more than their offense. If the lions want to be a legit team this year they need to draft defense early and often and find one wr later in the draft and sign another.