• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think that?

Talking about a "pure cover corner" which is exactly what the Lions need. In what category does Dennard have any advantage over Gilbert? It sure and hell isn't speed,size or ball skills.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Gilbert has return skills which Dennard has none of.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In what category does Dennard have any advantage over Gilbert?

Technique, Footwork, Intelligence, Tackling and he is better at run support. Dennard's advantages can all be taught though.

You can't teach size and speed.

Dennard is a much more polished CB, but I think the ceiling is higher for a player like Gilbert because of his size and speed.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilbert actually looks the part of what the Lions need. He looked better than Dennard from a physical standpoint. I'll take Slay and Gilbert on the outside.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kyle Fuller may be better than both of them.

I would say Watkins or Mack at 10. I would try desperately to trade back if those 2 and Clowney are gone by 10. I see no DBs worth a top 10 pick this year. I actually like Calvin Pryor more than anyone, but safeties are too easy to come by.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if Fuller is better but he is pretty good. Im with you with Evans and Watkins and the Lions can grab a player at safety in round 2 or 3.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts about Combine/Player's Performance

Which player(s) piqued your interest with their performance at the combine that were not on your radar previously ?

Which player(s) confirmed your thought process on why the Lions should draft them ?

Which player(s) that you previously liked, now make you question their ability to transition to the pro's ?

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keith McGill has impressed. Hard to tell if I'm liking him more because of homerism or not? Anyone have any thoughts on him? Big body and ran a 4.4 40.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been extremely intrigued by Pitt Panther DT Aaron Donald. He measured 6'2" and 285 lbs. but this kid has proved time and again his athleticism at the Senior Bowl, blowing up the OL repeatedly and his position drills at the Combine. He had one of the best ever performances for a DL to date. While many Lions SportsHoopla posters will question why give this kid a look when we have Suh and Fairley (CJ Mosley as a backup), I will point to the possibility that Mayhew has yet to pickup Fairley's team option for 2015, also on three occasions since last years training camp, he stated Fairley has lacked motivation and maturation. Freep writer, Dave Birkett, noted many times throughout the season, while attending practices, that Fairley was lazy and non-committal during practices and that Schwartz never disciplined him. Below is an article from the Freep special writer Anthony Kuehn; he covers many areas of need for the Lions and what his thoughts are as to what they might do in FA and the Draft. If you're not interested in reading the entire article, here is what he stated about the DT position; "I would spend a mid-to-late round pick on a backup defensive tackle to start grooming in case Nick Fairley’s option doesn’t get picked up and he becomes a free agent in 2015. Right now the Lions don’t have much depth on the roster behind Suh, Fairley and C.J. Mosley."

Lions Gab: My position-by-position plan for free agency, NFL draft | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

I am NOT trying to get rid of Fairley but it was known throughout his time at Auburn that he was thought of being lazy, didn't workout in the weight-room often and got by on pure talent. This was one of the reasons as to why Fairley dropped on draft day. He was once considered the #1 overall in 2011, prior to Cam Newton moving up.

Donald 6'2" 285 lbs... Arms 32 5/8"... Hands 9 7/8"... 40 yd 4.68... BP 35...VJ 32"... 3-cone 7.11

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keith McGill has impressed. Hard to tell if I'm liking him more because of homerism or not? Anyone have any thoughts on him? Big body and ran a 4.4 40.

Here's something from McShay about McGill at the Senior Bowl
Keith McGill, CB, Utah
McGill’s week got off to a strong start on Monday morning when he checked in at 6-foot-3 and 214 pounds, which is elite size for a cornerback prospect. While he has some tightness to him and can improve his technique in press coverage, McGill’s instincts, length, overall range and ability to locate and play the ball stood out throughout the week. He comes with some character baggage that scouts will need to investigate, but his performance last week and his solid game tape from 2013 make him a likely Day 1 prospect.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not a fan, I know he was learning a new position this year and all, but he was a part of the problem with the defense. The only player from the Utes defense I would want is Reilly.

I am curious to get your view on Travis Wilson being back? It seems pretty split on if it is a good thing around here.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I thought the same thing about Brice McCain and Sean Smith. Utah seems to have a history of athletic underperforming CB's that put it all together in the pro's.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a fan, I know he was learning a new position this year and all, but he was a part of the problem with the defense. The only player from the Utes defense I would want is Reilly.

I am curious to get your view on Travis Wilson being back? It seems pretty split on if it is a good thing around here.

I don't want to see him out there if he is a medical risk to himself. If he isn't a risk then I'd like to see an open competition and I think he would earn the spot again. He has a long throwing motion that seemed to shorten up this season. The year before he started his motion too low. If he continues to improve that as well as his accuracy, he would be my choice for the starter. This year would likely be that big step forward as we've seen great improvement each season in his young career.

I'd hate to see the kid get hurt, it's just football.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have discussed Evans but his numbers remind me of CJ coming out of Ga Tech. I think of Evans like CJ Lite. They would form a very explosive receiving corps eventually.

I think Taylor Lewan should have come out last year and going into the combine believed he was a mid to late first rounder. His 40 time 4.87 was head turning. He seems like a lock for the top 10. Not sure I want Detroit taking him but was suprised about his jump.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dennard is more physical but lets not forget Dennard was good in the bad B1G! Who was the best WR he faced? Abbedias (spelling not about to look it up) from Whisky? I don't think MSU played a team with a NFL Caliber WR.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say who the Lions will like more. Dennard seems to solve all their problems if he can develop into a press corner who needs little to no help from the safety like he played in college.

On the other hand, Slay ran the fastest 40 of any CB last year, and he's tall. So he may compare more to Gilbert if that is what Mayhew is looking for in his CB's.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have discussed Evans but his numbers remind me of CJ coming out of Ga Tech. I think of Evans like CJ Lite. They would form a very explosive receiving corps eventually.

I think Taylor Lewan should have come out last year and going into the combine believed he was a mid to late first rounder. His 40 time 4.87 was head turning. He seems like a lock for the top 10. Not sure I want Detroit taking him but was suprised about his jump.

Lewan is trade bait for teams needing a LT like; NYG (jumping Ten as they will lose RT), possibly STL if they don't select one at #2 or should they trade back a couple of slots, Pit needs a LT (traded for AZ Levi Brown and Mike Adams (Ohio St LT hasn't showed he's capable at RT yet alone LT), Miami needs a LT, Az needs a LT..... Lewan = Trade Bait, JMO

I too was impressed by his speed and agility though.. He did come off as being flippant in his interviews when asked about playing beyond the whistle and the r*pe allegations towards U of M PK Gibbons....

Taylor Lewan, Michigan (6’7, 309) - I didn’t like his attitude during the day 1 press conference but that is a non-issue after Lewan’s dominant athletic performance today. He led all lineman with a 4.87 40-time, had a better than average 29″ vertical leap, the best broad jump of all the lineman (117″), a top 5 time in the cone drill, and a top 10 time in the 20-yard shuttle. Heck of a day for Lewan, he showed the speed and quickness to get to the 2nd level and will get serious consideration in the 6-10 range of the 1st round. Lewan made himself some money today.

T Taylor Lewan, Michigan (6’7, 309) – It’s clear teams are concerned about Lewan’s maturity and on/off field aggression. He didn’t do much to ease those concerns today. Lewan was grilled about his tendency to play past the whistle on the field and about his involvement in a r*pe case off the field. Lewan answered all the questions thrown his way, but did it with a flippant manner that gave the impression he wasn’t taking this seriously. It’s not a good sign that he can’t even fake sincerity for the purpose of his draft stock.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dennard is more physical but lets not forget Dennard was good in the bad B1G! Who was the best WR he faced? Abbedias (spelling not about to look it up) from Whisky? I don't think MSU played a team with a NFL Caliber WR.

come on -- he shut down everyone he faced and was on an island the overwhelming majority of the time. teams were 3 for 31 on passes over 15 yards against Dennard. I know the Big 10 has been down overall, but it isn't as if he was playing in the MAC or Mountain West or something, but the Big 10 did have 8 guys at the combine for the WR position, so they have some talent there he faced.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets trade up for Clowney for the auto-ma-tic Superbowl appearance. I'm on board now. Caldwell said we must win now so lets do it.

I know you are being sarcastic, but just wanted to say the recipe for the super bowl in 2014 does not involve losing picks but if they traded down or stayed where they were, have a good draft and stafford has a huge season I could see them contending. That is a lot of ifs thoug and this is the lions, so probably not.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive Tackle

Im down for an offensive tackle at ten. Going into last season there were lots of huge question marks about the oline..and one good season does not make a caree for any of those guys. Just like I like houston to bounce back this season I fear the oline will regress quite a bit.