• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. Even if Dennard's official 40 is 4.49 to 4.52, his technique acumen over Gilbert squashes Gilbert's 40 time, as Dennard is a blanket cover corner until.... the wr gets out in a seam and is long gone. I don't think Dennard would have the closing long speed that Gilbert has. On the other hand, Gilbert takes a lot of risks in jumping routes and is susceptible to getting burned.

Dennard 2010... 6 games... 0 int...0 yds.....0 tds.... 1 FF......8 solo.....3 asst....11 Ttl....2 TfL.....1 Sks
.............2011...12 games...3 int...38 yds...1 tds.... 0 FF.....30 solo...12 asst....42 Ttl....1 Tfl......0 Sks
.............2012...13 games...3 int...49 yds...0 tds.... 0 FF.....34 solo...18 asst....52 Ttl....3 Tfl......0 Sks
.............2013...14 games...4 int...38 yds...0 tds.... 2 FF.....33 solo...29 asst....69 Ttl....1 Tfl.......0 Sks

Gilbert...2010....12 games...0 int.....0 yds....0 tds.....1 FF......16 solo....2 asst....18 Ttl.....0 Tfl......0 Sks
............2011....13 games...5 int....57 yds...0 tds......0 FF......48 solo...11 asst...59 Ttl.....1 Tfl......0 Sks
............2012....13 games...0 int......0 yds...0 tds......1 FF......53 solo...10 asst...63 Ttl...2.5Tfl......0 Sks
............2013....13 games...7 int...123 yds...2 tds......0 FF......36 solo....6 asst...42 Ttl......0 Tfl.....0 Sks

College Stats

Big, that is good stuff. Any idea on how they compare with PI's? The biggest negative on Dennard is he uses his hands too much, both on the line and in coverage.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smells like SALES pitch for some team to trade up and select whomever is left at #10.... Just what I want to see from the NYG... William Beatty sucks and was injured late last year and 2013 Draft Pick Pugh is at best a RT and really belongs inside at LG...

Agreed.

Hopefully they are smart enough to see how good Lawaddell is. He was a borderling top 10 RT and he didnt even get to play the first half of the year.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Freep had an article today talking about how the Lions may even draft one of the top 3 OL if they fall to #10 (Robinson, Mathews, Lewan). It made sense, while I was reading it. They really wanted one of the tackles from last year to fall to them, but it didn't happen and thankfully we drafted Ansah.

They said the top 3 OL in this year's draft are much better than the top 3 from last year's draft, so if Detroit wanted to solidify their OL, they could draft one of those guys and either play them at LT and move Reiff inside, giving the Lions one of the best Guard combos in the league or have the draft pick or Reiff start out at RT.

Personally -- I would rather they pass on an OL, as our line played pretty good, but as I said -- nothing would surprise with our front office anymore, so it is a possibility.

I could get at least somewhat on board here if that meant the cut/trade of Rob Sims. He would be completely expendable and there is cap savings to be had there. Those funds could be used towards a free agent acqusition to fill some of our other needs. Only Robinson or Matthews though, not Lewan, unless they first traded down to get more picks. He is not a top 10 pick IMO.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That kind of move could be beneficial from many standpoints. (1) Drafting Matthews or Robinson would be an Upgrade over Reiff for the long-term. (2) Reiff at LG should be an Upgrade over Sims (3) Reiff would cost less than Sims. (4) Moving Reiff inside to LG would diminish the price on his 2nd contract now that he'd be a G versus a LT. (5) This could be one of the best/youngest Offensive Lines for years to come. (6) add in C Westin Richberg (he's my favorite) to learn for a year under Raiola.

I would be greatly disappointed not getting a 1st round OLB/S (I do not expect Mack to make it past TB at #7) but from what I gather in here is all about getting Staff weapons and protecting him, whether it is from QB hurries or sacks and doing the above at least projects to have an impact on giving Staff more time.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilbert/Pryor/Dix/Dennard times

Fantasy Football player news, injuries and analysis - Rotoworld.com

currently listed 5 down from top of page

Michigan State CB Darqueze Dennard clocked an official forty time of 4.51 at the NFL Scouting Combine.
He was "unofficially" timed as fast as 4.42. This quiets the speed concerns surrounding Dennard, who played a ton of press coverage on Michigan State's defense and plays with a lot of intensity. He's NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock's top-rated cornerback prospect and a lock first-round pick.

Louisville S Calvin Pryor clocked a 4.58 official forty time at the Combine.
His forty time is the exact same as fellow highly-rated safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, who played at Alabama. Pryor also did 18 reps on the 225-pound bench press with a 34 1/2-inch vertical at a shade over 5-foot-11 and 207 pounds. Pryor is in the conversation to be this year's first safety off the board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilbert confirmed he's the most athletic of a big group crop of cornerbacks, while Michigan State's Darqueze Dennard answered some questions about his speed.

Dennard ran an official 4.51 in the 40. While not lower than the 4.5-second bar Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said last year he likes his cornerbacks to hit, Dennard's time was better than some expected.
He ran an unofficial 4.42 on his first attempt, according to NFL Network. Teams use their own 40 times and other measurements when evaluating a player.

Yeah, he answered (questions about his speed),” NFL Network analyst Charles Davis said on the station's TV broadcast of the event. “4.51 is fine. I think people are going to come out of here and maybe give him a little more grief then maybe he deserves because Justin Gilbert looked so fluid today, made Darqueze Dennard not look quite as fluid. Guess what? His play, his tape, that trumps everything. Take him and work with him, you'll be just fine.”

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather have dennard.....didnt we already know gilbert was faster and bigger than dennard going into the combine?

People get too caught up with other crap....can they play football? Thats all i care...well unless youre a titus young headcase.

Now everyone wants to be the next seahawks....we got enough guys at CB who were drafted because they were big and fast....and all i keep hearing is give them time to develope....next thing you know, theyre 30.....or they develope and leave in FA...

Watkins
Evans
Dennard
Ha-ha

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets trade up for Clowney for the auto-ma-tic Superbowl appearance. I'm on board now. Caldwell said we must win now so lets do it.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's go ahead and trade up for Clowney.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack is my choice at #10

I doubt he gets past TB at #7. If I were to ever make a Trade Up in this draft, It would be for Mack and No One Else (I still wouldn't give up draft picks. Instead I would acquire more, at least 1-2 4th or an extra 3rd).

Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo: The NFL scouting community has been buzzing for over a year about Mack's prospects as a disruptive defender. Multiple scouts told me that the Buffalo standout was a borderline Day 1 prospect a season ago, yet he elected to return to school to master some of the nuances of the position. The decision paid huge dividends, as Mack dominated the competition throughout the regular season, enjoying big games against Ohio State, Baylor and Connecticut. He's bound to keep up the momentum after an outstanding performance at Lucas Oil Stadium. The 6-2 5/8, 251-pounder ranked among the top linebacker prospects in the 40 (4.65), vertical jump (40), broad jump (10-8) and 20-yard shuttle (4.18). Yes, those numbers are jaw-dropping for a linebacker of Mack's size, but it was the outstanding display of balance and body control in drills that convinced scouts he is a big-time talent (though he played much of his college career against inferior competition). From making effortless turns and transitions in coverage to exhibiting explosive first-step quickness on pass-rush drills, Mack showed he has all the tools in the toolbox to be an impact player as a pro.

5. Mack is 'fluid and explosive'

Mayock has been saying for a few days that Buffalo outside linebacker Khalil Mack would be his No. 1 overall pick and called him "a fluid and explosive athlete" Monday. Mayock isn't the only guy who likes Mack, who set an NCAA career record with 16 forced fumbles and is tied for first in NCAA history with 75 tackles for loss. NFL Media draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah called Mack "explosive, dynamic and productive." He said if you were worried about Mack's level of competition, all you need to do is remember DeMarcus Ware's tape from when he played at Troy. Fellow analyst Charles Davis said Mack "plays with a violent edge to him," which is a good thing. "He will make somebody very happy very quickly," Davis said, in reference to Mack's potential as a rookie. Mack measured at 6-3 and 261 pounds and had a 40.5-inch vertical jump and ran a 4.65 40, which was tied for fourth-fastest among the linebackers.

4. Barr not a top-10 pick....... :clap:

UCLA's Anthony Barr is Mayock's No. 3 linebacker, but Mayock doesn't think Barr is a top-10 pick. While Barr is a good pass rusher, Mayock said that "when he doesn't win with speed," he has issues. Mayock also said Barr also is best against the run as a chaser: "He's not real strong at the point of attack."

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB Analysis; NFL.com

If Mayhew drafts a CB it had better be Dennard..IMO, Gilbert=Slay..And I do not want a cb taken this yr outside of maybe using the 4th/5th rd comp pick we should receive

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Darqueze Dennard

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Justin Gilbert

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Keith McGill

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Bradley Roby

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Jason Verrett

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Jaylen Watkins
(one cb I would look at in the 4th/5th round of compensation picks, should we get that for Cherilous)

Instead of getting all jacked up on combine #'s Game Tape tells the story, Combine #'s should confirm what you have seen on game-day

If you missed the 50,000 or so tweets regarding Mike Mayock's conference call Tuesday afternoon, here are some of the important things he had to say regarding the 2014 NFL Draft:

"My favorite nickel CB in the draft is Jason Verrett from TCU. He's ideal for the slot. Quick-footed, tough."

Dennard and Fuller, the two corners, I think they’re awesome but my concern with both of them is long speed."

Mayock thinks Darqueze Dennard and Justin Gilbert will be gone when the Bengals are on the clock

"I think Kyle Fuller is a first-round talent and a first-round lock with sub-4.5 40."

Darqueze Dennard is a top-15 pick. "My favorite corner in draft."

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Loucheiz Purifoy

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Marcus Roberson

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Pierre Desir

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Stanley Jean-Baptiste

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now everyone wants to be the next seahawks....we got enough guys at CB who were drafted because they were big and fast....and all i keep hearing is give them time to develope....next thing you know, theyre 30.....or they develope and leave in FA...

Agree. The NFL is full of copycats and they rarely achieve the levels reached by the original.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would your Lions Draft Look Like

You can denote trades (up or down, note team and picks acquired) Lions player(s) traded for picks.
1st four rounds minimum or however much you feel comfortable with rds 6-7 in selecting players.
Denote round #, slot #, position, player name
You can simply choose players you want but it must make sense for the round selection

CBS player chart NFL Draft - 2014 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com (900+ players included)

DraftTek; Teams Pick Slot #/trade chart 2014 NFL Draft Trade Value Chart

Detroit Lions current slotted pick #'s

1st rd #10
2nd rd #45
3rd rd #76
4th rd #107
4th rd comp. pick ?
5th rd Jax has it for Mike Thomas trade
6th rd #173
7th rd #204

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st Round pick 15 - CJ Mosley OLB
2nd Round - Jason Varrett CB
2nd Round - Matthews WR
3rd Round - Weston C
4th Round - Brooks FS
6th Round - Fera K
7th Round - Bromley DT

Emmanuel Sanders as a FA WR

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7. Princeton DT has potential

Mayock likes Princeton defensive tackle Caraun Reid, saying, "He probably will be the highest-drafted Ivy Leaguer in years." In the past 10 drafts, no Ivy Leaguer has been taken before the fourth round, and Mayock said Reid could go in the third or fourth round. Mayock said Reid has good explosion in the middle. "Forget the Ivy League thing -- this kid's got a chance to be a good player," Mayock said.

I've been following Reid since late 2012. I like his potential and projection.

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Caraun Reid
They talk about him possibly playing as a tilted nose but he primarily played in a 4-3 alignment. Possible late 4th round (as in our comp pick for Cherilous). Maybe a replacement for Fairly should his 2015 team option not be picked up.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Gilbert leap frogged Dennard but I do have to give Dennard credit for his 40. It was better than expected. I also think Dennard falls and Gilbert jumps but neither are worth a 10 overall in this draft.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect the Lions to use a mid round on a kicker so without trades or comp picks I am thinking the flyers may be few this year. I Would liked to see a QB like Fales or Smith.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bunch of Homer's choosing Dennard over Gilbert lol