• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS

it's difficult to find really good ones who actually pan out. QB of the OL.

I wanted ex-wisky C Fredrickson last year in the 2nd round until Jerry Jones selected him at #31 overall.

There were several reports out on walter or rotoworld that Larsen and Richberg both had difficulty maintaining weight in college. Stork has allegedly had 1 significant concussion and another that wasn't said to be as bad.

USC's Marcus Martin started as a freshman at OG for 2 years before moving over to OC this past year. He might be one to watch out for should he still be available in the 3rd round (highly doubt it though). 6' 3" 320 lbs, better as a run blocker than a pass blocker at this point but is a mauler and gets to the second level.

I thought I read somewhere Martin may be taken as a G because of good run blocking. Don't member site.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gandy, that could very well be regarding Martin as a OG. I know several sites have listed Arkansas C Travis Swanson as a possibility switching to OG as he is not very athletic and is more of a waist bender with slow feet, yet he was the starting OC for 4 years, if I'm not mistaken.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like C is one of the hardest positions to fill in the NFL. No wonder Ravioli has been around for 20 years.

Which is why Dom is still here. Making correct calls is huge. Dom is very good at that. Past OL's couldn't execute for shit. He has 4 guys that actually make blocks. Been awesome to have this before he was damn near 40.

I still wish he was gone. he is a punk on and off the field.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gandy, not to mention Raiola having to cover Peterman's ass, constant missed assignments for how many years. It's a rarity to stumble upon a Webster, Birk or Alex Mack.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor is -- the Lions are willing to trade all the way down into the 20's, so if
that is the case -- I'd love to see them trade multiple times to get down there.

I completely agree with this strategy, as long as we still get a good CB somewhere in those first few picks.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay has dropped Oklahoma State CB Justin Gilbert from the No. 11 overall prospect to No. 24.
"Gilbert can be inconsistent at times when it comes to his focus and is a little tight when he turns and runs, and I don't think he's deserving of an early first-round pick," McShay writes. Few are focusing on the tightness McShay mentioned, and it is apparent when receivers cross Gilbert's face. The corner does have great athleticism and ball skills, however.
Source: ESPN

ESPN's Mel Kiper said BYU edge player Kyle Van Noy is "a very underrated player" who is "going to be a nice second-round pick."
"Probably should go a little higher than that, but probably won't," Kiper said. The analyst said Van Noy's game tape left him "tremendously impressed." Van Noy (6-foot-3 1/4, 246 pounds), similar to Ohio State's Ryan Shazier, is a versatile prospect that teams must make a fit determination on before the process reaches draft day. Rotoworld's Josh Norris projects him as a strong side linebacker in an under front.

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes that Texas A&M WR Mike Evans to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at No. 7 is more likely to happen after Mike Williams was traded to the Bills.
"WR Mike Evans to the Buccaneers at 7 just became much more likely," Brugler tweeted. Now that WR Mike Williams has been traded to the Buffalo Bills, it leaves a hole across the way from from Vincent Jackson. Mike Evans would definitely be an upgrade to the WR unit and would provide McCown with two big body receivers, similar to what he had in Chicago with Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery. The Bucs now look like a ideal landing spot for Mike Evans services at No. 7.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kiper is crazy as hell stating Lions should draft up to 4 players in the secondary

ESPN's Mel Kiper: Detroit Lions' 'Grade A' draft would include Justin Gilbert, Kyle Van Noy | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Yes please :10: , in regards to drafting VanNoy..here's a snippet of VanNoy

In Van Noy, I get a versatile linebacker who can play right away and also work as a situational pass-rusher. I love his instincts and expect early impact. Gaines was a star at the combine and provides further depth. I also looked hard at safety, with Deone Bucannon an option, but I ultimately go with the upside at corner, a major need.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Donald at 10 if other options gone, Dix a close second
by larry 4/4/2014 2:10:28 PM 9:10 AM

That's a good one. Forgot about him. We put him in our draft gallery the other day. I know there are people on the Lions who REALLY like him, but at 10 I'm not sure the powers that be will take him because of the lack of elite physical tools. But he's a good player and with Fairley and Mosley in the last year of their deals, would be a fit. by Dave Birkett 4/4/2014 2:11:33 PM 9:11 AM

:laugh3:.. lack of elite physical tools
if I'm not mistaken Sapp weighed about the same as Donald coming into the Pro's and didn't come close to a 4.68 40 nor did Fairley at 4.84 forty. Height is a different issue if that's what they're assessing, Sapp 6' 2", Fairley 6' 4", Donald 6' 3/8" NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Aaron Donald

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave: Anthony Barr or Mike Evans
by Jason 4/4/2014 2:03:59 PM 9:03 AM

I gave the Lions Barr in my last draft with Evans on the board. I'm not sure either will make it to 10 when I do my next one. I think the Lions go Barr over Evans if they're both there, mostly because pass rusher trumps receiver and there's a better chance you can get a WR who contributes on Day 2 than a rusher. Both players are kind of raw, relatively new to the game/position though. by Dave Birkett 4/4/2014 2:05:03 PM 9:05 AM

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
transcript from Freep writer Dave Birkett

Thinking ahead.... since they did not pick up Fairley's option for 2015, likelihood that they could lose both Suh and Fairley next year?
by Noodleman 4/4/2014 2:25:40 PM 9:25 AM

Suh is going to re-sign later this spring/summer. The Lions can't afford to lose him. The only way he doesn't is if he insists on Mario Williams money and won't budge. Fairley ... I don't know why the Lions would even entertain bringing him back for 2015 if they didn't feel comfortable enough to extend him for one year at a relatively cheap price. They're hoping for that contract year bounce, but if they get it, why would you give him big money then and not expect he goes back to his lazy ways?
by Dave Birkett 4/4/2014 2:27:10 PM 9:27 AM

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dave if you could trade up in the first round draft Sammy Watkins but it cost you a first and second round pick this year would you make the move?
by Jason 4/4/2014 2:29:36 PM 9:29 AM

Good question and I'm a bit torn. I think Watkins is really, really good. And that would make the Lions offense close to unstoppable. He'd be a natural replacement for Calvin in a couple years ... But they do have a lot of holes still. ... But since you put me on the spot, yes, I'd do it. You have a window of contention and Watkins could help get you over the top.
by Dave Birkett 4/4/2014 2:31:07 PM 9:31 AM

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fair to say Lions are looking for LB who can rush the qb/blitz, meaning Barr or Mack would be perfect.
by BirkettAwesome 4/4/2014 2:33:41 PM 9:33 AM

Absolutely fair. When I said Barr was a fit a few weeks back on Twitter, I had some people doubting that. Caldwell confirmed it last week at the owners meetings that they're in the market for an OLB who can rush the passer. Tapp can play some of that. They're going to blitz their SAM from a 9 technique some this year. Both Mack and Barr would fit the bill.
by Dave Birkett 4/4/2014 2:34:47 PM 9:34 AM

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This time of year teams put up smoke screens so other teams don't know who they're interested in, so is Watkins interest real?
by DClionfan 4/4/2014 2:34:51 PM 9:34 AM

Yes, Watkins interest is for real. There's no chance he makes it to 10, everyone knows he's an elite prospect and everyone knows the Lions have a need at the position so there's no sense in disguising it. The Lions have been much more guarded about the guys who could make it to 10.
by Dave Birkett 4/4/2014 2:35:46 PM 9:35 AM

I'm more worried about what I hear about Barr, Evans, Gilbert, Dennard and the safeties in the smokescreen sense
by Dave Birkett 4/4/2014 2:36:16 PM 9:36 AM

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How much longer do you think before we start to see Calvin lose a step? Important to start looking to draft his successor?
by Justin 4/4/2014 2:49:41 PM 9:49 AM

2 years. Calvin turns 29 this fall. His body has taken a lot of pounding already. He doesn't have any Louis Delmas-type issues, but he's had problems with both knees the last two years. Definitely something that should be on the Lions' radar.
by Dave Birkett 4/4/2014 2:50:51 PM 9:50 AM

BB_72.. this statement by birkett validates lionstop/micro wanting Watkins/evans
I agree that in 2 yrs you could see CJ on the decline

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can Barr play in a 4-3 or is he simply a 3-4 LB?
by birkett4prez 4/4/2014 2:56:44 PM 9:56 AM

Both. He'd be a SAM LB for the Lions. Could play as a defensive end in nickel situations. Many do think he's best suited for a 3-4, but he'll fit with how the Lions are going to play their defense.
by Dave Birkett 4/4/2014 2:57:15 PM 9:57 AM

Any chance the Lions bring back Kickalicious?
by UPWolverine 4/4/2014 3:00:13 PM 10:00 AM

None. He went back home after the Lions cut him and didn't work on his game much, didn't look sharp when he came back for a workout.
by Dave Birkett 4/4/2014 3:00:38 PM 10:00 AM

If both CBs, Evans,
Barr and Lewan are available at 10, who do you like and why?
by ejones77 4/4/2014 3:06:59 PM 10:06 AM

Barr then Evans for me. Both raw, both play positions of need. Pass rusher > receiver and Barr has all the skills to be a really good one.
by Dave Birkett 4/4/2014 3:07:36 PM 10:07 AM

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Evans will get passed the bills anyways with them trading Mike Williams.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TB traded Mike Williams TO THE Bills. So, are you saying TB drafts Evans or Buf, after having picked up Williams, still drafts Evans. Either way I could agree.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TB traded Mike Williams TO THE Bills. So, are you saying TB drafts Evans or Buf, after having picked up Williams, still drafts Evans. Either way I could agree.

Oops, Yea I meant the Bucs. Lovie had two big WR's in Marshall and AJ. Pair Evans with Vincent Jackson and McCown has some nice targets.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeremy Ross feels like he has plenty to show Detroit Lions this off-season | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Jeremy Ross made his mark as a return man last year, taking a kick and punt back for a touchdown in the same game. Now, he's hoping for an even bigger score - an expanded role on offense.
“I feel like I have a lot to offer,” Ross said Monday after the Lions' first off-season workout of the spring. “I feel like my versatility is something good. I can play slot, I can play the outside, I can even be in the backfield. I can do a lot of different things for the offense, so I'm just looking to go out there and perform and help my team and compete.”

“It's good,” Ross said. “New coaching staff, fresh start, just get to come in and everybody's coming in to compete, so when they're looking and evaluating they're not going off of previous years. They're seeing what's in front of them and that's kind of how they're going to make the decision.”

I go out there and work hard regardless of who's behind me,” Ross said. “I don't really need external motivation. I'm pretty motivated inside, so I'll just continue to do what I do, work on technique, catch balls after practice, watch film. All the things I've done in the past to do well.”

BB_72 ...I like Ross a lot and hope they give him a shot at #4 WR. Good attitude to have

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read by another Freep writer Anthony Kuehn. Lions Gab: What positions will Lions target in NFL draft? | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Here's a few thoughts from Kuehn if you don't want to read the article;

The Lions still have some areas of need and there are a handful of positions that will be targeted in the draft. Whether or not those needs match up with the talent on the board is another story.

Safety:This season, I think they will use a high pick to fill that need. The Lions have had difficulty keeping their starters healthy and finding capable backups without investing a lot of resources. This year, they signed a veteran to steady the back end but they want to find a talented player to groom and also serve as a capable backup. My guess is the Lions take a safety between the second and fourth rounds, unless they trade down in the first round.

Linebacker: If Kahlil Mack were to fall past six, I could definitely see the Lions moving up for him, but I would be surprised if he makes it that far.

Center: The Lions want to groom a replacement for Dominic Raiola but this is not a great draft to do so. There are very few highly regarded centers in this class, so the Lions are either going to have to spend a pretty high pick on one or take their chances on a project and groom him for a year. The Lions are also a little thin on depth on the interior offensive line, so a center prospect that can backup at guard could be worth a higher pick..... BB_72 All the more reason why I think it's Marcus Martin