• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 10000 posts for a Husker Conference Championship Thread

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel bad for kids these days who don't have the memories of listening to Husker games on the radio while outside replaying the game with a football by yourself in the backyard on an autumn afternoon.

G.D. millennials

Really the only time we were indoors was if it was dinnertime, the street lights came on, or we were being punished. If given the choice between being grounded or taking a beating, we took the beating.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was too busy being a delinquent hood rat to watch that one.

I was never that much of one. Husker football was always #1.

But then again most games back then started at 2:30 so I would usually wake up around 1. Head to Pizza Hut then watch the game.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ugh another week of work. kinda wish i'd hit the lottery. of course it would help if i actually bought a ticket.

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I'd have watched it if it weren't Thanksgiving Day with grandparents, aunts/uncles, and cousins over for dinner.
I'd only lived in Nebraska 2 years at the time. I'd lived in Florida and California my first 7 years. Any other Saturday I'd been outside with my buddies riding bikes, shooting bb guns, hanging out at the creek, or something of the sort. I do remember seeing 'parts' of the Orange Bowl win over LSU the previous season. I remember Tagge holding the ball over the goal line for the TD and becoming a hero that day.
The '71 win @ Oklahoma made me a Nebraska fan forever. From that day on if they weren't on TV (which wasn't often in the pre-cable 70's) then my buddies and I would listen to them from start to finish on our AM transistor radios.
Not only was it my first full Nebraska football game, it was kind of my introduction to Lyell Bremser. My dad would have the games on TV with the volume down and Lyell blasting on the radio.

Almost my story exactly. I wasn't living in Nebraska then, but was in Boulder. Us old farts remember that year...Big 8 had the top 3 teams in the nation, so I was right in the middle of the hype. Huge build-up even before the season started. Before that year, I was more into NFL, and didn't pay much attention to college foosball. My folks were from Nebraska, so they sorta followed the Huskers. Back in those days, I might get to see two or maybe three Husker games on TV, so, I didn't see much in the way of college ball. That day, mom's folks were down from western NE for the Holiday, and the game and long weekend. Planned dinner for halftime, and made quite an event out of it. HOLY MOLEY...What a game! I also became a Husker fan, and have been from that day to this.

I was born into Husker football. My parents have has season tickets for a long time, my dad has had them for over 50 years. I have gotten to go to games since I was pretty young. Actually my mom was pregnant with me and was at a game a couple weeks before I was born so love of the Huskers was in me since then

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was born into Husker football. My parents have has season tickets for a long time, my dad has had them for over 50 years. I have gotten to go to games since I was pretty young. Actually my mom was pregnant with me and was at a game a couple weeks before I was born so love of the Huskers was in me since then

I’m sad that Nebraska was on the road the day I was born or I would have been born in the stadium. At least we won the day I was born

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From May 15th - July 9th (55 days), we had 500 plorsts or 9 PPD on average.

From July 9th - today (20 days) we've had 267 plorsts or 13 PPD on average.

At current pace we'll be at appx 8700 plorsts for the Husker's first game of 2019.

At current pace we'll be at appx 9000 plorsts for opening of conference play Sept 21st @ Illinois.

At current pace we'll hit 10,000 plorsts on appx Dec 9th.

To get to 10,000 plorsts before the Buckeyes come to town on Sept 28th (61 days) we'll need another 1733, which is appx 28 PPD.

maxresdefault.jpg

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if we bump it up just a little, we could reach 10,000 on December 7th. Just as the Huskers are taking the field in Indianapolis in the B1G ccg.

If that ain't an omen....

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At current pace we'll be at appx 8700 plorsts for the Husker's first game of 2019.

At current pace we'll be at appx 9000 plorsts for opening of conference play Sept 21st @ Illinois.

To get to 10,000 plorsts before the Buckeyes come to town on Sept 28th (61 days) we'll need another 1733, which is appx 28 PPD.

maxresdefault.jpg

Thank you by math :nerd: friend

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if we bump it up just a little, we could reach 10,000 on December 7th. Just as the Huskers are taking the field in Indianapolis in the B1G ccg.

Yep. Need to pick up the pace a bit. Shouldn’t be too hard as the season approaches

cavecookie

Pickin' and Grinnin'!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

maxresdefault.jpg

OK, this is an idea I was thinking about starting a new thread for, but considering that this is for the championship, I'll just work from here!
A couple of weeks ago, there were some comments about Chris Stapleton(BTW, how was the show, as if I have to ask...I know it was FANTASTIC!), and I got thinking about musical tastes, and how they change through the course of my life, and am interested to know what you guys and gals have to say. What are yall's top 5 musicians, bands, albums, etc. and how much have they changed from, say, the age of 20? I pick the age 20 because that was a turning point for me. This was the late 70s, and was in college, and was being exposed to a LOT of different kinds of music, and that's when I started getting away from radio noise, and delving into the roots, instead. Now, 40 years later, I'm STILL listening to that same music I "discovered" back then, and never get tired of it. It's just about impossible to pick just 5, but this is today's list for me.
Top of the list is some "brand new" music, from mid 2000s- The Steeldrivers, with Mr. Stapleton. I am a huge Bluegrass fan, so that's the good stuff. And to keep the list at 5, I'm gonna cheat and add all the usual Bluegrass names here with The Steeldrivers.
Allman Bros...Greatest band that ever was or ever will be. It is not open to discussion or debate! And, again, I'm going to cheat and include Warren Haynes, and Derrek Trucks with them. These guys really understood the Blues, and knew how to put themselves into the music. Haynes and Trucks are still rocking, but the rest of the surviving ABB are retired.
JJ Cale...I'm a sucker for great songwriting, and JJ was one of the best. He had this very unique style of playing the guitar...Very intense, but relaxed at the same time. He did an album with Eric Clapton in 2006 that I had been waiting for for 30 years; "Road to Escondido"
Warren Zevon...Another GREAT songwriter. This was one of those people who just bear their souls when they write. Rather dark and cynical, but some his lyrics just give me goosebumps. He also had a talent for attracting the best musicians to play with him and cover his songs.
Stevie Ray Vaughn...'Nuff said.
Of course, there many others, but this is already long enough.
All of these except for the Steeldrivers are people I have been listening to for decades. I certainly listen to lots of other things, but this is what I consider "My music"!
So, have at!

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, this is an idea I was thinking about starting a new thread for, but considering that this is for the championship, I'll just work from here!
A couple of weeks ago, there were some comments about Chris Stapleton(BTW, how was the show, as if I have to ask...I know it was FANTASTIC!), and I got thinking about musical tastes, and how they change through the course of my life, and am interested to know what you guys and gals have to say. What are yall's top 5 musicians, bands, albums, etc. and how much have they changed from, say, the age of 20? I pick the age 20 because that was a turning point for me. This was the late 70s, and was in college, and was being exposed to a LOT of different kinds of music, and that's when I started getting away from radio noise, and delving into the roots, instead. Now, 40 years later, I'm STILL listening to that same music I "discovered" back then, and never get tired of it. It's just about impossible to pick just 5, but this is today's list for me.
Top of the list is some "brand new" music, from mid 2000s- The Steeldrivers, with Mr. Stapleton. I am a huge Bluegrass fan, so that's the good stuff. And to keep the list at 5, I'm gonna cheat and add all the usual Bluegrass names here with The Steeldrivers.
Allman Bros...Greatest band that ever was or ever will be. It is not open to discussion or debate! And, again, I'm going to cheat and include Warren Haynes, and Derrek Trucks with them. These guys really understood the Blues, and knew how to put themselves into the music. Haynes and Trucks are still rocking, but the rest of the surviving ABB are retired.
JJ Cale...I'm a sucker for great songwriting, and JJ was one of the best. He had this very unique style of playing the guitar...Very intense, but relaxed at the same time. He did an album with Eric Clapton in 2006 that I had been waiting for for 30 years; "Road to Escondido"
Warren Zevon...Another GREAT songwriter. This was one of those people who just bear their souls when they write. Rather dark and cynical, but some his lyrics just give me goosebumps. He also had a talent for attracting the best musicians to play with him and cover his songs.
All of these except for the Steeldrivers are people I have been listening to for decades. I certainly listen to lots of other things, but this is what I consider "My music"!
So, have at!
Lots of words. I'll wait for it to come out on Netflix.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
32 Days to Husker Football
im+hipp+nebraska+.jpg

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

bump up the pace? shouldn't be a problem.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Need to pick up the pace a bit. Shouldn’t be too hard as the season approaches
yea, maybe. probably have threads specific to football, so not sure how much the pace will pickup here. i'll just post more BS about my life.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm going to have to go out of my way and actually find this stuff. i've probably heard it on the radio but not realized it was them.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, have at!
and yes, that was a super long post. so, my top band which i typically don't tell anyone but this place in anonymous so whatever, I will listen to Hootie and the Blowfish 24/7. And actually throw in Darius Rucker's country stuff too, just something about his voice that i really enjoy listening to him sing.

My music changed when i got to college. not sure if its so much my taste changed or the people i hung out with changed. In HS, i went cruising a lot with my brothers and you had to have songs with the bass, so lots of wrap music and stuff. i didn't mind me some tupac but not sure i'd say i ever loved it. got to college and fell more into the rock genre - 70s-80s classic rock stuff. I personally hold Queen as the greatest rock band of all time. Mercury was as gifted writing as he was singing. Bohemian Rhapsody is what i consider one of the greatest rock songs ever.

after those two, i'm not much on naming favorite bands. as i said, mostly leave it on the classic rock stations and enjoy most of the stuff that comes across. AC/DC, bon jovi, van halen, guns n roses, etc.