• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NFL needs to reinstate Adrian Peterson and move on already

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, yeah I know I'm a Vikings fan, but forget that for a moment and understand that I'd be saying the same thing if this were about Eddie Lacy, Calvin Johnson, or Matt Forte.

Peterson has missed 11 games so far for his offense that was settled as a misdemeanor in court. The courts have issued him a punishment settled on between AP's camp and the prosecution. While the main argument for Peterson remaining suspended is that he has been paid for all of his missed games thus far, this arguement is stupid as they could easily simply reinstate him and penalize him for 6 future game checks. I've said many times that what AP did while disciplining his child was wrong and overboard to say the least, but it isn't beyond correction and redemption.

If guys like Ray Rice, Michael Vick, Ray Lewis, and Donte Stallworth could all get back into the league, then Peterson absolutely should be able to get back to playing as well. This situation is old and tired, and frankly, how drawn out this has been is getting flat out retarded. As it stands, if they ultimately uphold up to a six game suspension before this upcoming week, then Peterson wouldn't be eligible to return until week 3 of 2015. That is pure bullshit. Goodell and the NFL need to get their shit together and wrap this fiasco up.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Peterson situation is prolly the first time I've liked Goodel.

Making your kids balls bleed ain't okay.

Fuck AP!

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Peterson situation is prolly the first time I've liked Goodel.

Making your kids balls bleed ain't okay.

Fuck AP!

As I've said, obviously, AP made a big mistake and went overboard in the discipline of his kid. That said, it would appear that he didn't intend to cause as much harm as he did. Of course, that doesn't completely absolve him of any responsibility, but it does lend credibility to the notion that he could correct that behavior and refrain from it going forward. If he is able to correct his mistakes and become a better parent as a result, wouldn't that be a good thing?

How is removing football, one of the most stabilizing factors of his life currently, going to help matters? He's been issued punishment by the court system and has missed 11 games for it so far. If Ray Lewis (essentially either murdered a guy or was at least involved in doing so) and Donte Stallworth (manslaughter DUI) could get reinstated, then why is AP out of the realm of deserving a second chance? How many games would he need to miss for it to seem fair to you to finally permit him a second chance that many before him have gotten after doing much worse things?

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not suspended for ever. He will be back next year but it would be an absolute PR nightmare to let a child beater come back. He will be back next year.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at him not playing as punishment. Weather it corrects anything in his life or not is neither here nor there to me. If anything, it gives him time to focus on what's actually important in life, family. And he's got an assload of family.

300 million people in this country. They may not care, or even notice, what is allowed and what isn't. But they notice a high profile RB not getting to do what he wants. What makes him seem great. If that helps one person break the cycle, AP's loss of personal glory is worth it.

For what it's worth, I grew up loving the Detroit Red Wings. Watched/listened to every game I could. Then they signed Todd Bertuzzi, I couldn't make myself root for them for the last five years. That dude shoulda been in prison, not giving out body checks and scoring off the backhand.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AP is not a victim.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with your thinking on this, he should be playing and fined some game checks...but, AP made it more difficult on himself.

He had an opportunity to sit down with the commish and he refused...I'm guessing they basically wanted to see if he was indeed contrite and remorseful for what happen because his stance for a long time was he did no wrong...he only came off that stance to get the court decision off his plate.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for this season? that's ridiculous!!!

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with your thinking on this, he should be playing and fined some game checks...but, AP made it more difficult on himself.

He had an opportunity to sit down with the commish and he refused...I'm guessing they basically wanted to see if he was indeed contrite and remorseful for what happen because his stance for a long time was he did no wrong...he only came off that stance to get the court decision off his plate.

Agree - I really don't see any remorse from this guy. Also - one of his other kids was killed not long ago in a child abuse situation. I would have to believe that if that were the case for most folks they wouldn't do anything remotely close to what AP did to his other son. I also believe that this kind of counters the arguments that everyone makes that "spankings/beatings made me a better person later in life". How exactly is AP such a great person (not football player)?

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just going to end up like the Ray Rice thing, going to an arbitration panel and them finding against the NFL. As has been said, they should just reinstate him and fine him 6 weeks pay.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a bit strange the NFL's punishment is harsher than the justice system.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree - I really don't see any remorse from this guy. Also - one of his other kids was killed not long ago in a child abuse situation. I would have to believe that if that were the case for most folks they wouldn't do anything remotely close to what AP did to his other son. I also believe that this kind of counters the arguments that everyone makes that "spankings/beatings made me a better person later in life". How exactly is AP such a great person (not football player)?

Whether it was legit or not, he needed o sell it to commish's OFC that he was remorseful. He should've been at that meeting...not going was more or less saying the opposite of what the NFL wanted to hear.

Now, I'm one of those kids that was punished by strap/belt/switch, and actually appreciate it today. As I looked back on it, there was no yelling and screaming at me while I was getting punished. I always knew why I was punished and it was typically life goes on afterwards...in other words it was over and dealt with. I can't say that it made me a better person, but I think I did grow up realizing there was always a consequence for wrong doing, respect for authority, chain of command, etc. I did the same to my kids, and they will probably do the same the theirs...what he did imo was not the problem...how he did it was...he went too far.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why? One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Because one party is only trying to protect their image and going as far as possible to get it done while the justice system gave him not much more than a wag of the finger.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because one party is only trying to protect their image and going as far as possible to get it done while the justice system gave him not much more than a wag of the finger.

I think you pretty much summed it up. It's not really that strange, the NFL feels they still have more to lose than gain by letting him play right now. And they're probably right. The narrative of DV that surrounded the league a few months ago is finally settling down. If he came back right now, it would reignite it. Give it a year and will be second page news that will wrap up during training camp.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stopped caring what NFL players do off the field ever since Ray Lewis. If Ray Lewis is a hero, I got no problems with the likes of Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson. Heck even OJ Simpson is okay in my book. I really don't even care anymore.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stopped caring what NFL players do off the field ever since Ray Lewis. If Ray Lewis is a hero, I got no problems with the likes of Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson. Heck even OJ Simpson is okay in my book. I really don't even care anymore.

Pretty much this. I have no sympathy for AP and never will. But Ray Lewis is an honored guest and I just watched Josh Brent strap it up for the Cowboys. To me, the justice system is the main fail. The guy should have spent time in jail

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone needs to get over the Josh Brent thing. Probably not a person on this board that hasn't put themselves in the same situation multiple times. It just went real bad for Brent and I'm sure nobody feels worse about it than him. Now he has to put up with the probation and legal bullshit as well.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone needs to get over the Josh Brent thing. Probably not a person on this board that hasn't put themselves in the same situation multiple times. It just went real bad for Brent and I'm sure nobody feels worse about it than him. Now he has to put up with the probation and legal bullshit as well.

:bullshit: