• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NFL is a disgrace

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I was a kid, I did not hear that smoking was harmful. I saw the Marlboro Man and Virginia Slim on the TV.
I never have smoked ever, not because I heard it was harmful, but because I used to get sick in the car with my mom and dad smoking. I now have nodes in my lungs from second-hand smoke. The tobacco companies squelched the talk about cigarettes. That was wrong. Period.

Not sure how old you are but the warnings on packs have been there since the late 60's. Everybody knew unless they wanted to ignore it.

Cigarettes

Caution: Cigarette Smoking May be Hazardous to Your Health (1966–1970)

Warning: The Surgeon General Has Determined that Cigarette Smoking is Dangerous to Your Health (1970–1985)

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease,Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy. (1985–)

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Quitting Smoking Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Your Health. (1985–)

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking By Pregnant Women May Result in Fetal Injury, Premature Birth, And Low Birth Weight. (1985–)

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Cigarette Smoke Contains Carbon Monoxide

In 1973, the Assistant Director of Research at R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company wrote an internal memorandum regarding new brands of cigarettes for the youth market. He observed that, "psychologically, at eighteen, one is immortal" and theorized that "the desire to be daring is part of the motivation to start smoking." He stated, "in this sense the warning label on the package may be a plus."

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how old you are but the warnings on packs have been there since the late 60's. Everybody knew unless they wanted to ignore it.

Cigarettes Warnings

Caution: Cigarette Smoking May be Hazardous to Your Health (1966–1970)

Warning: The Surgeon General Has Determined that Cigarette Smoking is Dangerous to Your Health (1970–1985)

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease,Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy. (1985–)SCigarettesEditCaution: Cigarette Smoking May be Hazardous to Your Health (1966–1970)Warning: The Surgeon General Has Determined that Cigarette Smoking is Dangerous to Your Health (1970–1985)SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease,Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy. (1985–)SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Quitting Smoking Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Your Health. (1985–)SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking By Pregnant Women May Result in Fetal Injury, Premature Birth, And Low Birth Weight. (1985–)SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Cigarette Smoke Contains Carbon Monoxide

In 1973, the Assistant Director of Research at R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company wrote an internal memorandum regarding new brands of cigarettes for the youth market. He observed that, "psychologically, at eighteen, one is immortal" and theorized that "the desire to be daring is part of the motivation to start smoking." He stated, "in this sense the warning label on the package may be a plus."

URGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Quitting Smoking Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Your Health. (1985–)

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking By Pregnant Women May Result in Fetal Injury, Premature Birth, And Low Birth Weight. (1985–)

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Cigarette Smoke Contains Carbon Monoxide

I have never read the label because I have never had a pack.
Note that if you decide not to wear a helmet, it won't hurt my head at all.
If you decide to light up, I get the 2nd-hand smoke.
Back to the subject, hiding the truth about health risks is always wrong......

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never read the label because I have never had a pack.
Note that if you decide not to wear a helmet, it won't hurt my head at all.
If you decide to light up, I get the 2nd-hand smoke.
Back to the subject, hiding the truth about health risks is always wrong......

And two football players involved on a violent tackle won't hurt you either.

If your upset about the secondhand smoke that has harmed you you need to talk to your parents.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both died from smoking......

Sorry about that. Both of mine are gone too. Not from smoking although they both smoked most of their lives. Dad stopped cold turkey when I was about 11 or 12. Mom quit after the last of us 3 kids left the nest. I guess we led her to smoke.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry about that. Both of mine are gone too. Not from smoking although they both smoked most of their lives. Dad stopped cold turkey when I was about 11 or 12. Mom quit after the last of us 3 kids left the nest. I guess we led her to smoke.
Nobody, including myself, expected me to live past 25. I was pretty wild. I have out-lived everybody. (so far)
Life is like playing Russian roulette. Everyone has to pull the trigger
Just don't put to many "bullets" in the gun.....
Bullits could include: drinking, smoking, eating too much, driving too fast, or cruising South Florida at night.....

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody, including myself, expected me to live past 25. I was pretty wild. I have out-lived everybody. (so far)
Life is like playing Russian roulette. Everyone has to pull the trigger
Just don't put to many "bullets" in the gun.....
Bullits could include: drinking, smoking, eating too much, driving too fast, or cruising South Florida at night.....

True, many of us have done dangerous stuff the whole time knowing it's dangerous. My take is I don't need someone to tell me it's dangerous.

For example right now travel to parts of Mexico is very dangerous, and military members must get permission to go there, some areas it takes the approval of a LtCol, while other areas take the approval of General. I don't need a General to tell me it's dangerous I know just by reading up on it.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, many of us have done dangerous stuff the whole time knowing it's dangerous. My take is I don't need someone to tell me it's dangerous.

For example right now travel to parts of Mexico is very dangerous, and military members must get permission to go there, some areas it takes the approval of a LtCol, while other areas take the approval of General. I don't need a General to tell me it's dangerous I know just by reading up on it.

Agreed, but if the General knows it is dangerous, he should say so and not cover it up like the NFL did.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but if the General knows it is dangerous, he should say so and not cover it up like the NFL did.

Fair enough. I will agree the NFL should have some blame too, but it doesn't give the players an excuse.

My thoughts even before the concussion story broke was the ex players needed better heath care for life.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doctor, Doctor, it hurts when I do this!!

Then don't do that.

But it might allow me to earn millions?

Well do it then but I told you so...

As an aside, our 35 year old son who lives with us is epileptic. I would wager he has had between 15 and 20 concussions in his life from tumbles. Falling in the back yard, falling in the shower, falling any old place. You simply can't protect against everything.

The wear and tear on his grey matter has to be immense. Concerned doesn't even begin to describe how we feel about it.