• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Had No Idea Just How Bad of A Shit Show The PAC IS

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats a bit tricky.
Boise has a 7-3 record against BYU.
over the time since Boise moved up to FBS they have 209 wins to BYU 152.
byu has a nationwide following due to the mormon church tho and a more historical name. but i bet in any given year if you matched them up most people from anywhere are gonna pick Boise over BYU
BYU would be the no brained but they won't play on Sundays and that's a huge mess.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and thats different for the last 10 years average win total how?
Good point. Now consider what those records would have been in the SEC West. Shit Auburn has struggled and we've won national championship and played in another the last 10 years. It's a bitch.

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replay scandal? If making bad calls that help your conference is a scandal then the SEC should be burning.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude you’re not all that. I know you think that you are but you’re not and the LHN is a one time deal that won’t be renewed unless at very discounted rates. The cord cutting is making those deals extinct.

Besides the fact that Texas has zero desire where they have very little chance of winning even their division. The powers that be know that joining the SEC would mean quite a few 8-4 seasons. Simply put they’re not man enough.
Doesn't matter if I think Texas is all that, if you look at it as a business decision, it's the white whale. LOL you think a few 8-4 seasons would scare the fanbase from not buying up gear, showing up to home games or traveling to games on the road? They still lead colleges in revenue despite them going through the worst decade on the field. LHN was a one time deal that only happens for schools that can carry a stick. ESPN could have let Texas walk to FOX and the PAC network, but they didn't.

Again this isn't about what happens on the fields or courts, it's business decision. Big Brand, Good Academics, and they bring money/value. You think the PAC would turn Texas down, or B16? You think the B16 would say no because Nebraska doesn't like it?

I would think Auburn would like the easy win vs Texas...

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU is a legit school and all and does have value. Especially considering LDS is everywhere around the world, however like Wildturkey said the small things such as no games on sunday hurt it's chances of going to a better conference

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter if I think Texas is all that, if you look at it as a business decision, it's the white whale. LOL you think a few 8-4 seasons would scare the fanbase from not buying up gear, showing up to home games or traveling to games on the road? They still lead colleges in revenue despite them going through the worst decade on the field. LHN was a one time deal that only happens for schools that can carry a stick. ESPN could have let Texas walk to FOX and the PAC network, but they didn't.

Again this isn't about what happens on the fields or courts, it's business decision. Big Brand, Good Academics, and they bring money/value. You think the PAC would turn Texas down, or B16? You think the B16 would say no because Nebraska doesn't like it?

I would think Auburn would like the easy win vs Texas...
I stoped reading at White Whale. One that’s racist as one color of whale is more valuable than another and two the shit is piling up so high I can’t see over it.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU is a legit school and all and does have value. Especially considering LDS is everywhere around the world, however like Wildturkey said the small things such as no games on sunday hurt it's chances of going to a better conference
unless they went in as a football only

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU would be the no brained but they won't play on Sundays and that's a huge mess.
That's one mess for sure. But that mess would be minor compared to the catastrophe that would result in trying to mix a very staunch religious school with wacked out academicians at places like Berkley. What is ironic is BYU's academics are damn good. So said academicians don't really want them because of beliefs. They just hide behind the other reasons.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would have to be a North Carolina or Virginia team for the SEC to expand again.

A case could be made for Oklahoma but the conference isn't taking OSU in the deal so I don't see it happening.

You also have to realize membership has to be voted on and Ga, SC, Ky, FL and I suspect now aTm have an unwritten agreement to block other instate schools which means the following will never get in:

Texas
FSU
Louisville
Clemson
GT

Rumor is FSU has been vetoed at least once.

So the only schools with a real shot would be North Carolina, Virginia Tech and maybe NC State. The truth is going beyond 14 teams is a nightmare and your practically better off being two separate conferences all together.

We are only going to see expansion in the PAC or Big 12 as far as P5 goes.

Don’t forget your brethren in John Denver country.....

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually mostly mean market. But also name. They made themselves known for minute, but haven't sustained anything.

BYU has been able to have enough success to at least be considered P5 for competition purposes.

BYU has been the team that the conference should’ve invited before Utah or Colorado but we all know why they won’t ever be invited. Boise State should’ve received an invite once they became good at football. They already played in conference for some Olympic sports, and being a blip on the radar in football is the only reason ASU became a member if memory serves me correctly.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU has been the team that the conference should’ve invited before Utah or Colorado but we all know why they won’t ever be invited. Boise State should’ve received an invite once they became good at football. They already played in conference for some Olympic sports, and being a blip on the radar in football is the only reason ASU became a member if memory serves me correctly.

ASU also plays in a rapidly growing state and big media market.

When CU was added, the PAC was hoping to get a bunch of other teams from the Big 12 but struck out. They added Utah to make sure they didn't end up with 11. At that point, Utah was a better football program than BYU. They've continued to beat them every year in football. I'm happy the PAC went with Utah over BYU

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASU also plays in a rapidly growing state and big media market.

When CU was added, the PAC was hoping to get a bunch of other teams from the Big 12 but struck out. They added Utah to make sure they didn't end up with 11. At that point, Utah was a better football program than BYU. They've continued to beat them every year in football. I'm happy the PAC went with Utah over BYU

Sure, I could see that argument except are you are really going to argue a non sports market like Phoenix compared to a national market like what BYU would be if they had national tv. The new television contracts are no longer based on local advertisers, it’s based off of eye balls for national advertisers. Which is why we as a conference had Larry Scott replace MAC and MWC scheduled dates and times on ESPN for conference games. I am not trying to say anything negative about Utah or Colorado but those two markets IMO hurt the other schools because the television contract we all got was the exact same as we would’ve received except you split with 2 more schools. To be fair though, that is on Larry Scott more than Utah or Colorado.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, I could see that argument except are you are really going to argue a non sports market like Phoenix compared to a national market like what BYU would be if they had national tv. The new television contracts are no longer based on local advertisers, it’s based off of eye balls for national advertisers. Which is why we as a conference had Larry Scott replace MAC and MWC scheduled dates and times on ESPN for conference games. I am not trying to say anything negative about Utah or Colorado but those two markets IMO hurt the other schools because the television contract we all got was the exact same as we would’ve received except you split with 2 more schools. To be fair though, that is on Larry Scott more than Utah or Colorado.
From what I understand, this is exactly why the Big 12 decided to stay put. There wasn't one school they were looking at that had national appeal (in football...ain't talking Kansas hoops) and would bring in enough addtional revenue to offset the share of feeding one more mouth. My West Texas arithmetic ain't too swift but they did learn me that if you divide the same size pie by 11 or 12 instead of 10 you get a smaller piece.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I understand, this is exactly why the Big 12 decided to stay put. There wasn't one school they were looking at that had national appeal (in football...ain't talking Kansas hoops) and would bring in enough addtional revenue to offset the share of feeding one more mouth. My West Texas arithmetic ain't too swift but they did learn me that if you divide the same size pie by 11 or 12 instead of 10 you get a smaller piece.

You should at a minimum be getting a larger network deal since 2 extra teams generates an additional 16-17 games to televise.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should at a minimum be getting a larger network deal since 2 extra teams generates an additional 16-17 games to televise.
Not necessarily especially if the new additions don't draw a national audience. There are already enough Kansas vs Texas Tech type games. Those don't move the needle nationally. Only those of us that are CFB nuts are willing to watch those type games. I'll watch Purdue vs Illinois but most of the other folks around here won't. But they'll watch Ohio State play any of the others.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canzano: Amid crisis, Pac-12 signed agreement to fund news coverage from Los Angeles Times

Here are just a couple of gems:

"The conference was in deep distress in 2018. It was drowning in negative sentiment after an embarrassing instant-replay scandal in college football. The Pac-12′s basketball programs were coming off a winless showing in the men’s NCAA Tournament. And commissioner Larry Scott’s prized Pac-12 Network was stuck in distribution purgatory, still unavailable to large swaths of frustrated fans."

"The Pac-12 hired a high-profile crisis-management firm. The conference began working from a 34-page printed manual The Oregonian/OregonLive reported in 2019 — a playbook that directed the conference to “seek to identify positive voices that could shift the conversation.” That plan further instructed the conference to “expand upon media partnerships” with two primary media platforms — the Los Angeles Times and The Players’ Tribune. According to emails and other documents, the conference struck a deal in 2018 with the Los Angeles Times that aimed to steer $100,000 in advertising to the newspaper in exchange for an expansion in conference coverage. Said the Pac-12 staff member: “Literally, in a meeting, our communications people were like, ‘Is there anyone we can pay to write positive stories?’”

"During the depths of its public relations crisis, the Pac-12 contracted with one of the world’s top crisis management and public relations firms in 2018. FleishmanHillard had previously worked with Chevrolet, Levi’s and Alibaba Group. It was also hired as the lead crisis-management team for USA Gymnastics in 2017 while that organization was enmeshed in a horrific sex-abuse scandal. The firm studied the Pac-12 metrics, audited the tone of media coverage and conducted interviews with its campus stakeholders. It then produced that 34-page printed playbook that served as the backbone of the Pac-12′s plan to repair the conference’s brand."

How Larry Scott has a job is beyond me.

You've only scratched the surface.

Larry Scott is a joke and just about every fan of a PAC-12 team would celebrate him being replaced.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you're slightly overestimating BYU's national appeal. I'm not sure it's really such a big name. I know they have a Mormon following but it's not ND-West.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phoenix is like the #10 tv market
and has the suns, Mercury, Cardinals, Coyotes, Diamondbacks, Phoenix Rising FC, and Rattlers. how is this a non sports market?

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12 is getting paid for 12 teams while only having 10

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Big 12 also got told they could have a championship game with 10 teams in the conference. When the PAC 10 was looking to expand, the rules stated that you needed 12. The big push to expand was based on the PAC's desire to have a championship game.