• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Had No Idea Just How Bad of A Shit Show The PAC IS

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phoenix is like the #10 tv market
and has the suns, Mercury, Cardinals, Coyotes, Diamondbacks, Phoenix Rising FC, and Rattlers. how is this a non sports market?
AZ will be a hotbed for recruiting in the next 7 years. They are starting to produce highly ranked kids consistently

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 also got told they could have a championship game with 10 teams in the conference. When the PAC 10 was looking to expand, the rules stated that you needed 12. The big push to expand was based on the PAC's desire to have a championship game.
I do believe you are correct. Times/rules changed.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what?
so the TV contract the conference signed was for 12 teams, tier 1&2. Which is why the whole interviews for #11 and #12 was just for show. The TV contracts were never going to accommodate BYU or Memphis or Cincy or UCF, etc. They were already overpaying. With everyone having independent 3rd tier rights, ESPN and FOX were ok with them not expanding.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the TV contract the conference signed was for 12 teams, tier 1&2. Which is why the whole interviews for #11 and #12 was just for show. The TV contracts were never going to accommodate BYU or Memphis or Cincy or UCF, etc. They were already overpaying. With everyone having independent 3rd tier rights, ESPN and FOX were ok with them not expanding.
I just can't see a lot of demand in Corning, New York or Bend, Oregon for a Cincy vs Baylor game. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't see a lot of demand in Corning, New York or Bend, Oregon for a Cincy vs Baylor game. Maybe I'm wrong.
yeah there isn't any independent or G5 schools that make the Big 12 better at the moment. It's better that they keep it at 10 and those programs keep building. The conference does need Texas to wake up from it's coma it's been in the last decade. A highly competitive Texas team with ou being ou, will raise the conference and the other schools with them.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The contract was signed with only 10 teams. A&M, Nebraska, Colorado and Missouri had already left.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah there isn't any independent or G5 schools that make the Big 12 better at the moment. It's better that they keep it at 10 and those programs keep building. The conference does need Texas to wake up from it's coma it's been in the last decade. A highly competitive Texas team with ou being ou, will raise the conference and the other schools with them.
Yep. And the PAC 12 needs USC to get out of their funk. The B1G needs Michigan and the ACC needs FSU, etal. Tennessee hasn't been too swift either. Those teams haven't been carrying their weight lately. Marquee programs are supposed to be marquee...not so so, crap or also rans.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and they payed for 12 teams to ensure they didn't dissolve
I remember that and it never made sense to me. Why in the world did they do that? But I ain't in the media/broadcast business. So what the hell do I know.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're slightly overestimating BYU's national appeal. I'm not sure it's really such a big name. I know they have a Mormon following but it's not ND-West.

I guess I am spitballing and using a theory but I’m just guessing Pac 12 games would be on all broadcasting platforms. Again, I’m not saying BYU is Texas or anything remotely to that, I am mostly just saying BYU IMO has more appeal than Colorado or Utah (except obviously they are a LDS) school and our last television contract kind of blows up the argument that Boise State can’t join because they aren’t a big market. Academics, sure. But adding Denver and SLC didn’t increase the broadcast rights at all.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phoenix is like the #10 tv market
and has the suns, Mercury, Cardinals, Coyotes, Diamondbacks, Phoenix Rising FC, and Rattlers. how is this a non sports market?

The Cardinals, DBacks and Suns have among the least fan support in their respective sports so not sure what your point is. The Pac 12 has the most “big markets” out of any conference in the nation yet have the worst television deal so what do markets have to do with the argument I am making.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am spitballing and using a theory but I’m just guessing Pac 12 games would be on all broadcasting platforms. Again, I’m not saying BYU is Texas or anything remotely to that, I am mostly just saying BYU IMO has more appeal than Colorado or Utah (except obviously they are a LDS) school and our last television contract kind of blows up the argument that Boise State can’t join because they aren’t a big market. Academics, sure. But adding Denver and SLC didn’t increase the broadcast rights at all.

I guess I’m just not seeing why BYU would be a more appealing option. I agree that you don’t need to be in a big city to have a big following. But is BYU really that big of a draw anymore? They probably were 15-30 years ago. I’m not sure they are today

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that and it never made sense to me. Why in the world did they do that? But I ain't in the media/broadcast business. So what the hell do I know.

That's why everyone thought the Big12 was on borrowed time, no way they would get this deal at the next GOR/TV negotiations, but from all indicators before the pandemic, they were going to get an increase. Now it's going to be nothing compared to what the SEC is getting ready to cash in on, but it was thought to be respectful amount.

I do hope it can last at least another decade. Playing everyone in your conference once a year is a breathe of fresh air in a time of 14 member conferences. It's also nice to know that the top 2 teams will rematch for the CCG as well. Outside the SEC CCG, it's the best CCG in the land, imo.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The contract was signed with only 10 teams. A&M, Nebraska, Colorado and Missouri had already left.
Since you don't believe me about getting paid 12 for 10.. here ya go..

Oklahoma was 'within 30 minutes' of leaving for the Pac-10 in 2010

According to Dodd, both Texas and Oklahoma -- the Big 12's most valued properties -- were close to leaving in 2010 and 2011. Ultimately, the Pac-10 would not allow Texas to move the Longhorn Network west. The rightsholders -- ESPN and Fox -- also promised the Big 12 the same money for 10 teams as they were paying for 12. That hammered home the point that any conference with Texas and Oklahoma in it was worth saving. That's basically why the Big 12 still exists today, surviving through two rounds of conference realignment earlier this decade.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I’m just not seeing why BYU would be a more appealing option. I agree that you don’t need to be in a big city to have a big following. But is BYU really that big of a draw anymore? They probably were 15-30 years ago. I’m not sure they are today

And what "big following" have Colorado or Utah ever had in their history?

Similar to Notre Dame with Catholics, BYU a national following because of their LDS ties. No one is claiming that they would have the appeal of Notre Dame, just that they have more appeal than Colorado or Utah.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AZ will be a hotbed for recruiting in the next 7 years. They are starting to produce highly ranked kids consistently

This is a copy and pasted sentence since the 80’s.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Colorado and Utah are very regional much like the NW schools. BYU is a national brand (in terms of fans) and when given a major platform my speculation would be they would’ve added more than Colorado and Utah. I think it should’ve been Utah and BYU but Berkeley wanted Colorado so they got it. Utah essentially sold itself into the conference by barely receiving any money. I guess I would’ve preferred BYU and can see there are legitimate arguments against but what isn’t debatable is Colorado and Utah literally brought nothing to the conference in terms of increase revenues.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado and Utah are very regional much like the NW schools. BYU is a national brand (in terms of fans) and when given a major platform my speculation would be they would’ve added more than Colorado and Utah. I think it should’ve been Utah and BYU but Berkeley wanted Colorado so they got it. Utah essentially sold itself into the conference by barely receiving any money. I guess I would’ve preferred BYU and can see there are legitimate arguments against but what isn’t debatable is Colorado and Utah literally brought nothing to the conference in terms of increase revenues.

I agree with your take on CU and Utah. They were only added so the PAC could have a championship. If we got to play by Big 12 rules, it would have been better to stay at 10.

I just don’t agree that BYU is really a national brand. I think they bring as much as Colorado does, no more

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what "big following" have Colorado or Utah ever had in their history?

Similar to Notre Dame with Catholics, BYU a national following because of their LDS ties. No one is claiming that they would have the appeal of Notre Dame, just that they have more appeal than Colorado or Utah.

I think you said it better than I guess I was.