• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The New England Patriots Thread

How Far Will the Patriots Go in 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady wasn't HOF caliber after his first SB either.

Wilson is just as good as Brady was at this same point in his career.

There is a reason that very few players make it into the HOF. Yes a player might be close on stats right now to a HOF player but that doesn't mean that the rest of their career is going to compare. Throw in Brady has had what many consider to be the greatest coach in NFL history. I like Carroll but obviously he is not on that level yet either. Throw in the NFL was completely different when Brady was starting out to what they have to face today. I'm just saying it is hard to replicate what the Patriots had back then.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a reason that very few players make it into the HOF. Yes a player might be close on stats right now to a HOF player but that doesn't mean that the rest of their career is going to compare. Throw in Brady has had what many consider to be the greatest coach in NFL history. I like Carroll but obviously he is not on that level yet either. Throw in the NFL was completely different when Brady was starting out to what they have to face today. I'm just saying it is hard to replicate what the Patriots had back then.

It is tough to replicate. I'm just saying that Brady wasn't considered a HOFer when he was looking for his second ring. 15 years of hindsight doesn't change that. He still had a lot to prove then, just like Wilson does now.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is tough to replicate. I'm just saying that Brady wasn't considered a HOFer when he was looking for his second ring. 15 years of hindsight doesn't change that. He still had a lot to prove then, just like Wilson does now.

We'll see in another 10 years or so where Wilson fits.
He may in fact set the league on fire for decades to come.
Or not.
I like the guy, and Carrol too. I even like Sherman.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love having all this big talk down in writing to start the season. And you can bet I'm going to be quoting from this thread plenty.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots are going to suck this year at least compared to the last 10 years

Sucking every time you open your mouth?

What causes this? Is it the vacuum in your head?

By the way, you don't upset fans by talking about their team. You upset everybody for being ignorant and singe-handedly lowering the standards for a post.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Pats are heading for a 14-2 season and will lock up the #1 seed in the AFC. Of course, player health has a lot of sway over this prediction. I think they (like the Broncos) made some good signings in the off season and will be getting a lot of good players back from injury. From where we sit now, the Pats' schedule doesn't look even close to as hard as the Broncos, who I predict go 12-4. Between a favorable schedule and a good team that seems to have been made better I think the Pats emerge with the best record in the AFC this year.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's New England and Denver in the AFC championship again.

I hope you're right, as home field (after health) could easily be the deciding factor.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My playoff picks:

Patriots: 14-2
Colts: 13-3
Broncos: 12-4
Ravens, Steelers, Bengals: 10-6*
Chargers: 11-5
Ravens, Steelers, Bengals: 10-6*

The AFC North is a tough division to figure out every year. If it were just between the Steelers and Ravens the way it had been for so long maybe it would be a little easier. But we can't ignore the Bengals, who have averaged 10 wins each year over the last 3 seasons. I think this year even the Browns may swipe a couple wins within the division, though I admit, every year I think they are about to turn the corner and every year I am wrong. So my prediction for that division is not the most precise, nor does it take me out on a limb too far. But someone has to win it, and I believe the runner up will make the playoffs as a wild card team.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be shocked if you don't get a bye.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be shocked if you don't get a bye.

I'd like to see that, but it doesn't make or break a playoff run. The Broncos were the #1 seed two seasons in a row. One year they blew it, the next year despite and obscene amount of injuries they played their best defense of the season and made it to the Super Bowl.

I took a long look at the Broncos schedule and despite believing they can beat every team on their schedule I simply don't believe they will. But a prediction of 12-4 against this slate is a testament to how strong I believe this team is.

As for the Colts, I think they are steadily improving and they have a favorable schedule. I think the Broncos are a much better team than the Colts, and equally as good as the Pats.

Also note: within the AFC West, I consider the Chargers a much greater threat to the Broncos than the Chiefs. I've got the Chiefs in reverse this year at 8-8, but I think the Chargers are poised to make some improvements and reach the playoffs again. The AFC West won't send 3 teams to the playoffs again, though. Not with the slate the division has, collectively. I don't know of any division that has sent 3 teams to the playoffs 2 years in a row anyway. At least not since aligning to the current league structure in 2002.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, but I will be shocked if the Broncos and Pats aren't again shaking hands together before the coin toss in the AFCCG. Obviously in Mass. this time around. Here's how it'll go down:

Wild Card round:

Broncos over Ravens/Steelers/Bengals

Chargers over Bengals if the Bengals are the #4 seed. Steelers or Ravens over Chargers if either of these are the #4.

Divisional Round:

Patriots over Chargers/Ravens/Steelers, whichever one applies.

Broncos over Colts

AFCCG:

Broncos @ Patriots. Do you really need me to pick that one? :suds:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver, @Indianapolis, @Green Bay: Win 2. (Maybe 1)
Miami, Buffalo, New York, @Buffalo, @Miami, @New York: Win 5. (Maybe 4)
@Kansas City, Cincinnati, Chicago, Detroit, @San Diego: Win 4. (Maybe 3)
@Minnesota, Oakland: Win 2.

13-3.

I'm going to be a pessimist and say 12-4 (or 11-5), though I could see anywhere from 10-6 to 13-3. Again, my range of games are high, but my guess is usually lower in that range.

In other words, I don't know. I just assume they are always going to be good absent injury to their QB and their defense is being hyped.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't pick between losing in the Super Bowl or the AFCC, but since neither was a win, I chose the lesser, though I could see them going.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots have a lot of work to do. Lots of good things happening but still unsettled in some areas.
There are a lot of cuts to make. Make the right ones and minimal injuries = Superbowl
Make the wrong cuts and / or critical injuries = lots of crying for footballs best organization

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last I heard, they still cheatin, what a bunch of scoundrels ova teh in the land of Yankees.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of now, a little over a day left to vote.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14-2 going to AFCCG against Denver.
Much improved defense easily top 5
receivers average but options all over the field
running game more consistent with backs catching passes
Mallet is Brady's backup and will take over for Brady unless Garapolo shines and Brady plays well. If Brady plays a couple more years and Garapolo shines, Mallett gets traded
Biggest surprise? Offense gels and Pats win SB.....[/QUOTE]

Read this and weep, Hammer!!!!!