• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jayson Tatum is looking way better than I anticipated and I say this as guy that had him #1 in the class. Boston is gonna be a force next year with a healthy Hayward, Irving, and an experienced Tatum

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jayson Tatum is looking way better than I anticipated and I say this as guy that had him #1 in the class. Boston is gonna be a force next year with a healthy Hayward, Irving, and an experienced Tatum
I tried telling people... but the "haters" out there just wouldn't listen.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I loved the Tatum pick and the trade down.

I didn't love the Nets pick trade. But, we won't be able to evaluate that fully until we see where it actually hits. Hayward and Irving are both very good players, but I don't see either as a championship level Batman in an era where you need multiple stars. They can get to the Finals, sure, but Tatum will need to emerge as that guy if they are ever going to win there, IMO.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't love the Nets pick trade. But, we won't be able to evaluate that fully until we see where it actually hits. Hayward and Irving are both very good players, but I don't see either as a championship level Batman in an era where you need multiple stars. They can get to the Finals, sure, but Tatum will need to emerge as that guy if they are ever going to win there, IMO.
Tatum is looking nice. I'd imagine all of the hate comes from the fact that he's a dukie.

I don't know what the rookies entail, but Tatum has done well, Simmons has done well. Ball has his moments, but he still seems generic to me. Fultz has clearly been a smash the fire alarm case, that being said, assuming he's healthy, I think he'd be better than Dennis Smith, but they both have shown the same ability to drive to the hole, only one have them have shown the ability to finish, which at this point in time is smith, he may very well be better. so many other cats, but i can't comment, as i haven't seen them play.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a little crazy and early and speculative... but there is potential here to develop under the "no super-superstar, Detroit '04" model of success.

Winning with more of a team orientated and gritty approach as opposed to a tandem or gang of bonafide "superstars" approach.

I know that is the exception and not the rule in the NBA, though.

Kyrie = Chauncey
Hayward = Rip Hamilton on steroids
Brown = Tayshaun Prince
Tatum = Rasheed Wallace
Horford = Ben Wallace... only in bizarro world... but you get what I'm sayin'

Guys like Smart and Rozier and Baynes bring the grit and balls and toughness off the bench.

Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a little crazy and early and speculative... but there is potential here to develop under the "no super-superstar, Detroit '04" model of success.

Winning with more of a team orientated and gritty approach as opposed to a tandem or gang of bonafide "superstars" approach.

Kyrie = Chauncey
Brown = Tayshaun Prince
Tatum = Rasheed Wallace

Guys like Smart and Rozier and Baynes bring the grit and balls and toughness off the bench.

Different era though.

LeBron going going to Miami changed the game. I agree that this Celtics team could be in the mold of those Pistons as far as playing great team ball. The problem is that I don't think those Pistons could win today. They advanced through a very weak East (like today) and happened to catch the Lakers at the right time. There were no superteams back then, however.

Not saying it is impossible, but I do think it is highly unlikely. Time will tell.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we more or less agree, @tlance .

If these C's can coalesce into a Pistons '04 type team... one thing I'll say is: I'd love to root for a team like that, and the fact that they were underdogs would make it even more fun.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kyrie = Chauncey
Brown = Tayshaun Prince
Tatum = Rasheed Wallace

I like the way you think.

Mr. Big shot couldn't put Dudes on skates like uncle Drew.

But, I'm digging the comparison.

Lol @ Bizzaro World Ben.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol @ Bizzaro World Ben.
What's funny is they're about the same size and stature... but totally different players.

Both good at what they do/did, though.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's funny is they're about the same size and stature... but totally different players.

Both good at what they do/did, though.
I was not a fan of the Horford signing and still think he is vastly overpaid.

But, so are 98% of the other players in the NBA.

I'm coming around on him this year. But, would love it if they put a Wallace type next to him.

Not at the price of a guy like Biyombo.

But, maybe a John Henson type.

Horford, Tatum, Smart, Kyrie all doing their thang.

But, my favorite Celtic is Brown.

When his shot starts falling at a high percentage on the regular...... Goodness

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not surprised by the Lakers/76ers fans competition.

You both have tons of young talent and bright futures.

The Embiid/Ball chirping just adds an extra layer.

Like LeBron, Simmons comes into the league with the body of a grown ass man.

So, it's easier for him.

You can have the talent, but if you lack the size or strength, you are gonna struggle in the beginning.

* See Dirk.

Lonzo is not gonna score a ton every night.

That's not what's expected of him and it's not why he was drafted.

People have to remember that.

Agree. Folks get far too obsessed over how many points a guy scores. There are many ways to impact a game beyond scoring. Lonzo's job, above and beyond everything else, is to make sure the basketball moves, so the offense will work. Everything else, scoring, rebounds, assists is secondary to making sure the ball keeps moving.

If the ball is moving properly, sometimes it will come back to him in terms of points, sometimes in assists and sometimes it'll look like he wasn't that productive until you look at tape and see that he was the reason the ball was moving and other guys were getting points and assists.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was responding to your comment about how Sixers fans are denying facts.

No you weren't. If you were, you would hav responded to what I actually said and not some made up bullshit about RoY that no one said.

I think you know why Sixers fans responded to Shopson's post and it wasn't to do with the stats.

Why, because he mentioned a "redshirt year" that he admitted was a presumption?

Face it, some of you Sixers fans took what he said as a sleight when there was none. Some of you are turning into Lebroniacs over Simmons and acting like any perceived criticism of his game is somehow an affront to the game of basketball.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you weren't. If you were, you would hav responded to what I actually said and not some made up bullshit about RoY that no one said.

I asked you what facts we were denying. Rather than responding to that you chose to be snotty.

Why, because he mentioned a "redshirt year" that he admitted was a presumption?

Face it, some of you Sixers fans took what he said as a sleight when there was none. Some of you are turning into Lebroniacs over Simmons and acting like any perceived criticism of his game is somehow an affront to the game of basketball.

Oh please. You are being needlessly pissy. Shopson was trying to argue that Simmons isn't playing as well as being claimed. That's fine. But sniping at Sixer fans for defending Simmons is ridiculous.

Oh, btw, good game by Lonzo last night.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked you what facts we were denying. Rather than responding to that you chose to be snotty.

No, I pointed out the facts that you were denying.

Oh please. You are being needlessly pissy. Shopson was trying to argue that Simmons isn't playing as well as being claimed. That's fine. But sniping at Sixer fans for defending Simmons is ridiculous.

No, shopson pointed out that Ball's stats aren't as far off of Simmons as some were trying to claim. Sixers fans weren't sniped at for defending Simmons. They were sniped at for defending over stuff that wasn't said. Nice try though.

Oh, btw, good game by Lonzo last night.

That's being needlessly pissy.

Last edited:

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Through 6 games, Jayson Tatum is shooting 50% from both the field and 3 pt range, and 86% from the line.

Should we call him the anti-Lonzo? :D

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Through 6 games, Jayson Tatum is shooting 50% from both the field and 3 pt range, and 86% from the line.

Should we call him the anti-Lonzo? :D

LMAOOO

So happy I took him in my fantasy draft

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some good rookies this yr. for sure. Ben Simmons looks to be the real deal as does Tatum.