• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing there but facts (and one presumption about having an extra year to mature and be with the NBA team).

Lonzo shouldn't be chucking up so many 3-point attempts if he can't make them. Ben is crushing Ball in TS%.

You're probably right that Simmons benefits from the "redshirt" year. Maybe he shouldn't be considered a rookie but the NBA considers him a rookie . . . so we are where we are.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmons may be listed as a PG, but he's taking PF shots.

What's wrong with this? I call this being smart. If you know you're not a shooter then why take long 2's or 3's? Why not take a higher % shot? That's one thing I loved about D-Wade. He never got out of his comfort zone and started shooting a bunch of 3's

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's wrong with this? I call this being smart. If you know you're not a shooter then why take long 2's or 3's? Why not take a higher % shot? That's one thing I loved about D-Wade. He never got out of his comfort zone and started shooting a bunch of 3's

Agreed. Long term, Simmons needs to get more comfortable with his jumper since it makes him less dynamic. Short term, I'm happy to see him doing what he does best. The jumper will improve with time, even if it never becomes elite.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is not really taking PF shots. He is getting to the rim off the bounce, just like Wade, early LeBron, and now Giannis. Not many PFs can get shots like that. But, I would say he is taking the shots of a perimeter player who doesn't shoot particularly well.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmons: A/TO: 2.31
Ball: A/TO: 3

Simmons is shooting better, but those stats are made to look worse by Lonzo's 22 3s (Ben has taken and missed 3). Both are shooting poorly from the line (Ben .571, Ball .556).

Simmons may be listed as a PG, but he's taking PF shots. 6'10 PF Simmons is only out-rebounding Ball by 1.

Maybe if Ball got a red-shirt season, he would be shooting better.

Ball has a 10.5 PER. Simmons has a 19. Ball's true shooting percentage is 37%. Simmons is 50%.

Whining about Simmons being red shirted is just that.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is not really taking PF shots. He is getting to the rim off the bounce, just like Wade, early LeBron, and now Giannis. Not many PFs can get shots like that. But, I would say he is taking the shots of a perimeter player who doesn't shoot particularly well.

He's leveraging his skill set. Most PFs don't get those shots because they don't have the handle and speed to do it. Simmons does.

Simmons' shot is still a work in progress. I suspect it will take a couple of years before it gets competent and may never be great. Heck it took Lebron several years to get a legitimately good outside shot and he's best player in the game.

Ben has a unique skill set. If he can develop a competent outside he is going to be a nightmare to defend.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's leveraging his skill set. Most PFs don't get those shots because they don't have the handle and speed to do it. Simmons does.

Simmons' shot is still a work in progress. I suspect it will take a couple of years before it gets competent and may never be great. Heck it took Lebron several years to get a legitimately good outside shot and he's best player in the game.

Ben has a unique skill set. If he can develop a competent outside he is going to be a nightmare to defend.

If he develops a reliable jumper, he will be one of the top 5 players in the league. If not, he's still probably going to be a top 20 player in the league. It's beautiful to have him in Philadelphia.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmons: A/TO: 2.31
Ball: A/TO: 3

Simmons is shooting better, but those stats are made to look worse by Lonzo's 22 3s (Ben has taken and missed 3). Both are shooting poorly from the line (Ben .571, Ball .556).

Simmons may be listed as a PG, but he's taking PF shots. 6'10 PF Simmons is only out-rebounding Ball by 1.

Maybe if Ball got a red-shirt season, he would be shooting better.

You have some really good points here. But, I feel the need to point out that the rebounding numbers are skewed in a similar way that the FG % numbers are.

Point guard is by far the easiest position to get defensive rebounds from for a guard who rebounds well. Reason being, the opposing PG almost always has the responsibility of getting back in transition D instead of chasing O rebounds. A good rebounding guard like Russ or Lonzo can swoop in and grab lightly contested "engaged rebounds" while the bigs grapple for position.

Ball is a good rebounder for sure, but if a 50-50 ball went up off the glass between Ball and Simmons, I know who I am betting on to come down with it.

That is just one reason why it is nearly impossible to compare stats for players that play different positions and have different roles. It isn't an apples to apples comparison.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed.

I would argue he is already pretty tough to defend without a reliable jump shot.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say that.

and you are making assumptions about me that aren't true. I don't know everything by any stretch. But I do know a lot more than many of the journalists I see covering the game and so do many other posters in this forum (not you).

After I stopped laughing my ass off I couldn't read any more about your wiggy-esque rant.

I find it hilarious that wannabe fanboys like you and bks claim to know a lot about the game when really your only help is Google. Take the internet away and you'd be lost.

Keep telling yourself the opposite though.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After I stopped laughing my ass off I couldn't read any more about your wiggy-esque rant.

I find it hilarious that wannabe fanboys like you and bks claim to know a lot about the game when really your only help is Google. Take the internet away and you'd be lost.

Keep telling yourself the opposite though.

Maybe you should have.

LOL if you think my posts come from google. You are a clown.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing there but facts (and one presumption about having an extra year to mature and be with the NBA team).

Partially agree.

Blake Griffin, Simmons, Noel, Embiid even Randle to an extent were red shirt guys.

Of the guys on that list, how many of them actually improved while sitting out?

Blake won rookie of the year. But, his game was the same...all athleticism, no shooting touch.

Noel? Nope.

Randle? Not really.

Embiid? Well shit, he had 3 years. So, no surprise there.

Lonzo needs to mature physically.

Pg is the most competitive position.

Which means, his feet are put to the fire every night.

That is the biggest difference between he and Simmons.

Not many Dude's in the NBA with Simmons size, speed passing ability.

So, his adjustment is easier.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Long term, Simmons needs to get more comfortable with his jumper since it makes him less dynamic. Short term, I'm happy to see him doing what he does best. The jumper will improve with time, even if it never becomes elite.
* See Blake

But, he will be better than Blake in another Season.

All he needs is confidence.

Greek Freak is already better and he can't shoot a lick.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobby Portis is team MVP this early season for the bulls. Punching niko has led markinanen to playing time. So far so good

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Partially agree.

Blake Griffin, Simmons, Noel, Embiid even Randle to an extent were red shirt guys.

Of the guys on that list, how many of them actually improved while sitting out?

Blake won rookie of the year. But, his game was the same...all athleticism, no shooting touch.

Noel? Nope.

Randle? Not really.

Embiid? Well shit, he had 3 years. So, no surprise there.

Lonzo needs to mature physically.

Pg is the most competitive position.

Which means, his feet are put to the fire every night.

That is the biggest difference between he and Simmons.

Not many Dude's in the NBA with Simmons size, speed passing ability.

So, his adjustment is easier.

I'm not reading this. It's the weekend. Can you shorten your summarization?