• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The My Vibe Thread

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sitting here recuperating from back surgery.
I'm bored. Reading marketplace and slowing down to check out a Yamaha YZ250.
Brain obviously needs to adapt.....

View attachment 352225
I saw the pic and read the first line...almost spit the coffee I was starting to drink all over my computer.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southie being a little more realistic. Glad the surgery went well. You and Razon could scoot together, form a bike club
View attachment 352238
You win.

Season 2 Winner GIF by Pose FX

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have shared in the past that my teenage years were spent in VT in a very bigoted town and I was the target of many of those bigots. Bullies were everywhere and without realizing it I became a bully, at least verbally, almost as a defense mechanism. I was an asshole in my later teens and early twenties, at the least.

I went home for New Years, flew into Boston on 12/26, rented a car and drove to northern VT. Flying into Burlington VT and renting a car is a bank account draining affair.

While I was there we went to a local Pizza joint with my nephew. Our waiter turned out to be the manager. After he took our drink order, my wife and nephew got beer, I got root beer, our nephew said I think that's "Sam". Not his real name. I had not seen Sam in 40 years, but I have thought about Sam quite a number of times because of how I had treated him growing up. He had moved out of state immediately after high school, and I started traveling for work 5 or so years later, chasing a better paycheck and learning more about the world and life.
When he came back by to bring the drinks I asked him, "Are you Sam?". He was a little surprised and with a bit of a nervous laugh said he was.
I immediately told him I wanted to apologize to him for many things things that I had said to him and that I had wanted to run into him over the years so that I could apologize but never thought our paths would cross.
He was both confused and intrigued and when I told him my name he seemed both shocked and pacified. He brought us free soup and free desserts.
I was surprised at how good I felt apologizing to him and I was also super glad at his reaction. It seemed to lift a load off of his shoulders almost as much as it did mine, at least for the time that I was there.

If you've read this far, thanks for letting me share.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have shared in the past that my teenage years were spent in VT in a very bigoted town and I was the target of many of those bigots. Bullies were everywhere and without realizing it I became a bully, at least verbally, almost as a defense mechanism. I was an asshole in my later teens and early twenties, at the least.

I went home for New Years, flew into Boston on 12/26, rented a car and drove to northern VT. Flying into Burlington VT and renting a car is a bank account draining affair.

While I was there we went to a local Pizza joint with my nephew. Our waiter turned out to be the manager. After he took our drink order, my wife and nephew got beer, I got root beer, our nephew said I think that's "Sam". Not his real name. I had not seen Sam in 40 years, but I have thought about Sam quite a number of times because of how I had treated him growing up. He had moved out of state immediately after high school, and I started traveling for work 5 or so years later, chasing a better paycheck and learning more about the world and life.
When he came back by to bring the drinks I asked him, "Are you Sam?". He was a little surprised and with a bit of a nervous laugh said he was.
I immediately told him I wanted to apologize to him for many things things that I had said to him and that I had wanted to run into him over the years so that I could apologize but never thought our paths would cross.
He was both confused and intrigued and when I told him my name he seemed both shocked and pacified. He brought us free soup and free desserts.
I was surprised at how good I felt apologizing to him and I was also super glad at his reaction. It seemed to lift a load off of his shoulders almost as much as it did mine, at least for the time that I was there.

That's cool. When my son was young, we used to take weekend trips to Burlington VT. Would go down the Mohawk Trail Tre 2 in Ma to border of NY and VT and drive up rte 7, so beautiful and Green. Usually stay at the Red Roof Inn which had a indoor pool and had Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks as scenery@@

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was more the bullied and never became the bully, being the last kid through puberty has that effect. I've pictured a bullier approaching me and have decided on two approaches: If they treated me like I was then I'd laugh in there face and call them a fool for thinking I was the same person who would accept that treatment; If they apologized I'd tell them to think nothing of it and "that was high school".

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was more the bullied and never became the bully, being the last kid through puberty has that effect. I've pictured a bullier approaching me and have decided on two approaches: If they treated me like I was then I'd laugh in there face and call them a fool for thinking I was the same person who would accept that treatment; If they apologized I'd tell them to think nothing of it and "that was high school".

I was a bully. I'm told I still am but I don't see it like that. I've always just enjoyed starting shit with bully's. If I were to guess it's likely the psychological result of growing up with a really big, tough and super violent dad. That was my bully all through life.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was bullied.
I look back and laugh because I did not know how tough I really was.
I reached a point in my young life that I reallized:
If you don't want to get eaten, don't act like food!
I wouldn't be nearly as tough, mentally and physically, if I hadn't been bullied when I was an adolescent.

If you find yourself in the deep end, 2 choices. Swim or die.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what is it with kids these days killing themself because of bullying?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bullied kids and it's one of my biggest regrets. I was always a tough SOB never afraid to fight, and instead of helping weaker kids I went the other way, I really regret doing that.

Sorry Paul Schwartz for making you ear worms

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to school with a kid.
His girlfriend broke up with him and he started to get picked on because he was infatuated with her. Used a towel to seal the gap in his window around the hose to his tailpipe.

Massive stuttering problem. Wa Wa Wa Walter everybody called him. He suck started a 12 gauge.

Small, he was beat by his dad often, dirt poor and dirty. Picked on for everything. He suck started a 12 gauge too.

He was actually a couple years older. He was always cool. Will never know why, but his girlfriend had spent the day with my sister and somehow this was the straw that drove him to, yes, suck the lead out of that fuckin shot gun.

This in a town of 1200.

It's not new.

I have a few more too. It was our morning safety meeting today.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His girlfriend broke up with him and he started to get picked on because he was infatuated with her. Used a towel to seal the gap in his window around the hose to his tailpipe.

Massive stuttering problem. Wa Wa Wa Walter everybody called him. He suck started a 12 gauge.

Small, he was beat by his dad often, dirt poor and dirty. Picked on for everything. He suck started a 12 gauge too.

He was actually a couple years older. He was always cool. Will never know why, but his girlfriend had spent the day with my sister and somehow this was the straw that drove him to, yes, suck the lead out of that fuckin shot gun.

This in a town of 1200.

It's not new.

Each of them is responsible for their own demise unless there a mental impairment. Lots of broken things can be fixed, broken people, not so much.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This in a town of 1200.

It's not new.

Sorry, that's quite a few. Just seems more prominent these days. It seemed for a while in the early 2000s kids were doing it like it was the next trendy thing to do.

Maybe we just have more media and social network access.

We had bullies when I was a kid, I may have been one? But kids weren't offing themself.

Sad

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What made it hardest to get bullys to stop pickindg at me was the bad things that happened to bullys when I did push back.
The bad things that happened when I pushed back......

One kid hit his head on the jungle jim (ambulance picked him up)
2 kids throwing rocks at me - I threw one back and knocked all his teeth out and blood was just gushing out
Kid running from me hit a patch of sand and fell hard on the concrete - ambulance picked him up
Neighbor "friend" picking on me and I gave him a bear-hug - he had an asthma attack and went to the hospital for a week
one kid caught me fishing alone and I threw him off a cliff.

I did not like hurting people - at that age - but it can grow on you.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids are not growing up resilient these days.
Boys are not getting punched in the mouth
Girls are prevented from being bullied about an ugly top they wore
Parents carry them around from place to place in the family "bubble"
Kids are taught that all people are equal. Really?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not like hurting people - at that age - but it can grow on you.
Once I stopped being bullied, I enjoyed hurting other people.
After four trips overseas, I became really, really good at it.
Then it became a MF to stop. Haven't killed anyone for 53 years 3 months.
Came close twice. As I age, the Gremlins seem to get stronger. I'm not as fast or as strong as I was 53 years ago.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever hear of a medical operation called WHIPPLE?

My brother and his wife just spent the past six days with us. She had just completed her first round of chemotherapy and hadn't left their house or the hospital since July. She's 66 and looks 35. She's the one I previously told you about with liver and pancreatic cancer. On Wednesday she starts round two of chemo. The cancer is gone from the pancreas and only trace amounts in the liver now that the tumor has been removed.

After the next round of chemo she is planning to have this Whipple procedure. 9-12 hours of surgery. They open the abdomen from the right ribs to the left ribs. They then remove all of the abdominal organs and lay them out on a surgical table. Three surgeons then examine every organ and cut away the gall bladder, appendix, 80% of the liver, 80% of the pancreas and anything else that appears cancerous or can become cancerous. Then they close you up after putting everything back in place. The following 8 days are spent in an ICU clean room on a tube fed liquid diet. Then the next week is spent in ICU taking liquids orally. If you survive this long you get to go home and live on liquids for the next eight weeks to allow the organs to regenerate. Then comes six months of a very restricted diet. Then a lifetime of a restricted diet.

Why?

She's been told that if she has this next chemo that she will have a life span of 2-5 years.

If she survives the Whipple (50% do not survive the 8 days following) and she makes it through the six months of a extremely restricted diet, she should have another12-15 years.

Seriously, what would you do? Take the five and hope for more or have a quarter o your organs cut out and hope to survive and live a restricted 12 years or maybe more?

I told her that she should do the chemo and then her and my brother take off, travel the world and really enjoy the next three years and see if the medical advances in treatment can give her five more in good health rather than ten never being able to ever eat anything or do anything for the next 12.