• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE MASTERS 2019.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PGAT is doing quite well relative to other pro sports. Tiger brings the fringe golf fan in, much like Jordan brought the fringe NBA fan in. That certainly boosts ratings when TW is playing well and the PGAT gets to piggy back off that.

Good for golf? IDK about that...maybe initially he helped grow participation, but Tiger winning the 2019 Masters will have little to no impact on the golf industry now.

I don't know how it is where you play but out here I'm one of the "younger" guys on the course and I'm 48 years old. They need to figure out how to make this more appealing to young people or it's going to go back to the country club sport that it was a long time ago.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greatly increased interest in the sport, which is what Tiger brings to the table, is an unqualified positive. How others, who work in and manage various aspects of the sport, handle that unqualified positive is another matter.
I always had an interest in golf and Tiger wasn't a factor.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it was Smith; you are right. Baldy was certainly deserving of is win on Sunday but I was rooting for anyone but him to win. Can't stand the bastard. He is great though.

Haha. I finally was right for a change! Nice!!! I completely understand why people don't like baldy and I respect that but I was very happy he won!

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how do you differentiate the two? I'm a Tiger Woods fan, have played and watched golf since the age of 5. So what do you use to differentiate someone who is a true fan of the guy from someone who is as you called them, a knob gobbler?

He's just trolling, trying to get reactions from anyone who doesn't rip on Tiger by calling them knob gobblers. He's probably used the term at least 30 times here in the past 4 days. It's best to just ignore him.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's just trolling, trying to get reactions from anyone who doesn't rip on Tiger by calling them knob gobblers. He's probably used the term at least 30 times here in the past 4 days. It's best to just ignore him.
He gets annoying after a few posts.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always had an interest in golf and Tiger wasn't a factor.

That is fine, nobody is stating that all golf fans are there due to Tiger. Sure some folks got into golf well before Tiger played or perhaps for all types of other reasons. However there is no denying that he had & still has a major influence on getting people to play and watch the game. Just look at the huge crowds in person & on TV for any event he plays. Also - look at the reaction of the various PGA players who greeted him after the win yesterday. Some of them look almost as happy as if they won.

Like him or not he has a huge influence on the game - that doesn't mean that other golfers don't also have an impact nor that you can't have other favorites. It is all good - not sure why some folks want to find some type of negatives in this whole situation.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to imply that Tiger is responsible for interest in golf.

It said that he was responsible for the increased interest in golf, not all interest in golf. At least try to be honest about what I posted.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a fan of Bayless, but I believe that this video captures the current situation pretty well for Tiger. Sure he has done some bad things in the past, and even Tiger won't deny that. However I believe that he has changed his behavior dramatically in the last few years. I believe that this is due to him now being in his 40s and having two young kids.

You rarely see any outbursts on the course anymore, he seems to have his emotions in check, & actually seems to enjoy himself on the course regardless (something you rarely saw in the previous version of Tiger). As Bayless points he has changed from this brooding person w/ all types of issues to someone who is changing his life & is liked by many more people than in his troubled past. I realize that some folks still hate him (their rt), but this is a turnaround that we rarely see in the sports world (hate away Warriors fan).

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if Tiger generates the interest or if the media coverage generates the interest. Most likely a bit of both, but I think the media coverage is more of it. If the media covers something so intensely, people will almost feel obligated to check to see how it is going. Kind of like the Dallas Cowboys. I'm not a fan nor do I really care, but when every NFL show talks disproportionately about the Dallas/Redskins game, I end up being inclined to check the score.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It said that he was responsible for the increased interest in golf, not all interest in golf. At least try to be honest about what I posted.
You use hyperbole when talking about Woods.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not saying he's a bad thing. Increased interest is a good start. What the courses need is sustained interest of players. And no player in the PGA is capable of helping that. It has to happen at the driving ranges and courses.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won it with experience. Molinari was one of 4 in the last 6 that put it in the water at 12. He should have just plaid it safe as possible. But that's a tough hole. You can try to play it safe and still easily walk away with a 4. The final round was great. The course was really punishing bad shots. Tiger was playing as well as anybody else and just knows the course better than anybody. The guy that impressed me most was Schauffele. He'd hit big shot, screw up, come back with a bigger shot, screw up again, ... I thought he was out of it 3 times but he just kept coming back.

Molinari...yeah we kept saying, he's living on the edge with those 4-6' putts he kept making for par. Eventually he was going to miss one of those crucial putts it started at 7, but he bounced right back with birdie on 8...he missed low badly on 12 though bounced back again for birdie on 13 and totally came unglued at 15.

Experience...yeah I agree it played a part. The two from the back of the green down two slopes was very much due to experience.

Schauffele was right there...not making birdie on 15 sorta killed his chances.

...and Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame

Indeed...MLB is just plain ole foolish at this point...at the same time I think they wanted Rose to come begging on hand and knee and he basically said F-off.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just have a bunch of crap wrong around here. I had a friend from SK and the way they teach kids down there is give them a 8 iron and don't let them swing anything else for a year. That's for young kids. You don't think it would be good for adults to take that strategy? That's not how the equipment is marketed here. It's all "DRIVE LIKE THE PRO'S!" garbage.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying he's a bad thing. Increased interest is a good start. What the courses need is sustained interest of players. And no player in the PGA is capable of helping that. It has to happen at the driving ranges and courses.

Golf is tough...tour players make it look easy...I know a lot of the guys I played with 20+ yrs ago that may have gotten the bug from Tiger's first wave...I'm hearing all kinds of stuff as to why they're not playing now...kids, finances, don't have time anymore for 5-6 hours away from the house...one of the more honest ones I heard...hit a wall, couldn't break 90, 100, and just didn't want to put in the work to get better.

I think many players started too far back (tees) and could never really learn how to play the game because they spent most of the time looking for tee shots.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how it is where you play but out here I'm one of the "younger" guys on the course and I'm 48 years old. They need to figure out how to make this more appealing to young people or it's going to go back to the country club sport that it was a long time ago.

Does everything in life need to be appreciated at an early age? Is it broken when it's common lots of adults try something for the first time?

Popularity, ratings and revenue are not requisites for something to be good & enjoyable.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how do you differentiate the two? I'm a Tiger Woods fan, have played and watched golf since the age of 5. So what do you use to differentiate someone who is a true fan of the guy from someone who is as you called them, a knob gobbler?
If they are not fawning and gushing ridiculously over Baldy. I can understand the admiration for his game. I admire it to, I also admire the Yankees winning ways but root against them as much as I do Baldy and Lebron James.
He played a solid but unspectacular round yesterday and he should get credit for that but the garbage on TV today, and unfortunately for the next week or so probably, is way over the top. He got lucky on some wayward drives, but everyone gets a little luck when they win the Masters. Kudos to him but lets give the hero worship a rest.

Last edited:

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does everything in life need to be appreciated at an early age? Is it broken when it's common lots of adults try something for the first time?

Popularity, ratings and revenue are not requisites for something to be good & enjoyable.

My first response to that was the same thing. The reason I brought it up is because the club pro that gives me lessons said they did a survey and the average age on the course was like 55. On one side of the coin it's good that older people have a thing they can go out and do that keeps them busy and in shape. On the other side of things (his side) he was saying that this is bad news for him because this bodes very bad long term for people that do what he does. And revenue are requisites for golf courses. They're expensive to operate.