• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE MASTERS 2019.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's pretty clear that Tiger is good for purses at PGA events and for ad revenues for message boards where Tiger Lovers/Haters can go at each other!

I think people confuse what's good for the PGA vs what's good for golf. The PGA's problems are pretty straight forward. They need a front runner that they can cash in on. Golf in general has much bigger issues.

Greatly increased interest in the sport, which is what Tiger brings to the table, is an unqualified positive. How others, who work in and manage various aspects of the sport, handle that unqualified positive is another matter.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So....what's your line of demarcation? What if Tiger Woods slapped his ex? Punched her? Worse?

Again...this was a secondary thing because it's behind the scenes until it becomes tabloid nonsense. Woods' actions on the course have been boorish to downright disrespectful. A petulant child. When someone as accomplished as Sergio Garcia does it, the media are quick to rip him for it. Woods does it, and he received protection for a good decade +.

We know why. I can at least seperate Tiger Woods the incredible golfer and Tiger Woods the incredible jackass.

Bravo...this is exactly how I feel about Barry Bonds. Incredible ball player, but a genuine butthole of a person.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats you hate him as a person, as most people have said this isn't the first athlete to cheat on his wife and a lot of athletes have done way worse. I am not sticking up for him bc what he did was sick, it's just how it is. The money and fame caught up to him.

Sorry, I just don't chalk up success and make an excuse for him. I don't hate him....I simply don't respect him. Maybe at the end of the day....he's just not a good person....and that carries a lot of weight with me.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't have a line. I honestly don't root for or against anybody. I just like watching the best golfers in the world put on a show. The one guy I maybe root for is Jim Furyk because he's my age, doesn't play particularly long, and still is able to compete against the best in the world through ridiculously accurate play and great course management. But it's all about the golf.

If you're going to try to attach what goes off the course/field/court/ice/... as far as who should or shouldn't be rooted for then you're going to be disappointed.

Exactly, I want to see the best players battle it out in the end and having Tiger up there only makes things better especially when he is playing some great golf. If people can't enjoy that I really feel sorry for him bc Tiger is one exciting player to watch.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you can't stand a baseball or football player, but they play for your team, you don't give too many shits about their off-field behavior -- until it gets into Rae Carruth territory. It's way easier to hate them when they don't play for your team.

It's different with Golf. He's only one guy, there's no team unless it's Ryder Cup, you can appreciate the way he plays but still want him to lose.

I got into golf because of Tiger, but I got tired of seeing him win all the time, and the off-course stuff made it easier to wish for him to fail.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an can hit wood woods...

I didn't give up my Titleist persimmons until 2007, many years after the big head, titaniums w/ graphite shafts took over the market. I played with them for > 30 years. The new stuff is a lot more forgiving and and generally much longer. If I nut it I can hit them as far as my new ones, but unfortunately my game isn't like that.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bravo...this is exactly how I feel about Barry Bonds. Incredible ball player, but a genuine butthole of a person.

That's an interesting comparison.....Something tells me that there are people who think totally different about those two however, even though they share similar traits.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's pretty clear that Tiger is good for purses at PGA events and for ad revenues for message boards where Tiger Lovers/Haters can go at each other!

I think people confuse what's good for the PGA vs what's good for golf. The PGA's problems are pretty straight forward. They need a front runner that they can cash in on. Golf in general has much bigger issues.

The PGAT is doing quite well relative to other pro sports. Tiger brings the fringe golf fan in, much like Jordan brought the fringe NBA fan in. That certainly boosts ratings when TW is playing well and the PGAT gets to piggy back off that.

Good for golf? IDK about that...maybe initially he helped grow participation, but Tiger winning the 2019 Masters will have little to no impact on the golf industry now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an interesting comparison.....Something tells me that there are people who think totally different about those two however, even though they share similar traits.

The comparison matters little, just a point of reference...the point was...we can appreciate the talent without liking the personality.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sad sad day for you.
Nope. He won fair and square and he deserved it. But the knob gobbling from you and others of your ilk still makes me shake my head in disgust

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PGAT is doing quite well relative to other pro sports. Tiger brings the fringe golf fan in, much like Jordan brought the fringe NBA fan in. That certainly boosts ratings when TW is playing well and the PGAT gets to piggy back off that.

Good for golf? IDK about that...maybe initially he helped grow participation, but Tiger winning the 2019 Masters will have little to no impact on the golf industry now.
True. I was rooting hard against him but he certainly deserved to win. The happenings at #12 on Sunday really illustrated that.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh that's rt - according to you nobody is or should be allowed to root for Tiger Woods or any other golfer that you don't like. If they do then they are hanging off his nut suck or don't know the game of golf or whatever other lame excuse you can spout. You are a complete joke & everyone here knows it. Bitch away pal. I laugh at all of your replies since they are so stupid & you sound like one of the most bitter clowns on the planet.
Rooting and admiration for his feat is understandable; the over-the-top knob gobbling is not. You'd think he discovered a cure for cancer.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, that was Cameron Smith... I think the two of them are pretty alike...

Tiger Woods ya'll!!!!! The Tiger is BACK!
Yes, it was Smith; you are right. Baldy was certainly deserving of is win on Sunday but I was rooting for anyone but him to win. Can't stand the bastard. He is great though.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah...the TW haters are probably more in the 30% range, but very vocal on online forums and social media. Admittedly he gave them plenty of ammo to hate him over, but some have moved on past Tiger and some haven't.

I don't see the big deal either way...just because you're good at what you do doesn't make you a likeable personality to everyone.
I'm not complaining as I made $200 betting on Tiger to win The Masters.

Shane_O_Mac812

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So....what's your line of demarcation? What if Tiger Woods slapped his ex? Punched her? Worse?

Again...this was a secondary thing because it's behind the scenes until it becomes tabloid nonsense. Woods' actions on the course have been boorish to downright disrespectful. A petulant child. When someone as accomplished as Sergio Garcia does it, the media are quick to rip him for it. Woods does it, and he received protection for a good decade +.

We know why. I can at least seperate Tiger Woods the incredible golfer and Tiger Woods the incredible jackass.
Mine is the same as with any athlete and that is I don't give a fuck what they do, act like, personality or anything that has nothing to do with the sport when they are home or away from the game itself. I don't look to these guys to be role models, or good citizens. I want to see sports greatness. I want to see my teams win. I've used Andrew Luck as an example before being a Colts fan, obviously Andrew is as nice as they come and always fan friendly, but even if he wasn't, I don't care if they find 30 bodies in his crawlspace as long as he is winning Super Bowls.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mine is the same as with any athlete and that is I don't give a fuck what they do, act like, personality or anything that has nothing to do with the sport when they are home or away from the game itself. I don't look to these guys to be role models, or good citizens. I want to see sports greatness. I want to see my teams win. I've used Andrew Luck as an example before being a Colts fan, obviously Andrew is as nice as they come and always fan friendly, but even if he wasn't, I don't care if they find 30 bodies in his crawlspace as long as he is winning Super Bowls.

...and Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what the rules are. I'm far from a golf watcher. I think I have an understanding with Eagle, Birdie, Par, and Bogey. But I watched yesterday because of Tiger and the noise all around the sports media. It was good. Jim Nantz is easy on the ears.

That Francesco Molinari guy choked though. 2 bogey's with one going in the water.

Really happy for Tiger.

Shane_O_Mac812

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rooting and admiration for his feat is understandable; the over-the-top knob gobbling is not. You'd think he discovered a cure for cancer.
So how do you differentiate the two? I'm a Tiger Woods fan, have played and watched golf since the age of 5. So what do you use to differentiate someone who is a true fan of the guy from someone who is as you called them, a knob gobbler?

Shane_O_Mac812

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame
Without question, it is the biggest crime in the history of sports that he isn't in the hall of fame. Same with Bonds. I don't care what they accuse him of taking, he was the greatest hitter of his era and should be honored as such.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greatly increased interest in the sport, which is what Tiger brings to the table, is an unqualified positive. How others, who work in and manage various aspects of the sport, handle that unqualified positive is another matter.

That happened once. It isn't working out too well right now. Like I said, I don't blame him for the golf bust but more fundamental things need to change if some of these public courses are going to survive. And those fundamental things are way more important than who's the hot commodity at the time.