• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imho, the dialog is too choreographed. The entire show is too choreographed. For my tastes.

I don’t mean to attack the show, it just is what it is. It is VERY influenced by stage acting. It reminds me a lot of Birdman. It is a love letter to Broadway.
We know. You've whined about it before.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This series ended at just the right time for Rachel Brosnahan considering she's now just been cast as Lois Lane for Superman: Legacy.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I finally made it through the final season.. and what a mess although there were some good moments like her scenes with Lenny Bruce and shower scene with Joel's parents. But I was actually fast forwarding through much of the Joel & family stuff. I've always thought that Joel was horribly miscast. Joel is simply not in Midge's league in any way shape or form and I never detected any real chemistry between them. As for the rest of the families, a little bit of that goes a long way and Shaloub is the only one of them who can consistently elevate the often cringworthy dialogue and plot points.. he's an acting treasure.

I was really looking forward to seeing her "big break" on the Gordon Ford show but when her 4 minute chance finally happened.. wtf was that? I think I chuckled maybe once through her whole rather tedious monologue which was barely comedy at all, but we're supposed to believe it to be so hilarious that it immediately shot her to stardom... please. The multiple time threads were annoying af also but I suppose they were necessary to wrap things up.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I finally made it through the final season.. and what a mess although there were some good moments like her scenes with Lenny Bruce and shower scene with Joel's parents. But I was actually fast forwarding through much of the Joel & family stuff. I've always thought that Joel was horribly miscast. Joel is simply not in Midge's league in any way shape or form and I never detected any real chemistry between them. As for the rest of the families, a little bit of that goes a long way and Shaloub is the only one of them who can consistently elevate the often cringworthy dialogue and plot points.. he's an acting treasure.

I was really looking forward to seeing her "big break" on the Gordon Ford show but when her 4 minute chance finally happened.. wtf was that? I think I chuckled maybe once through her whole rather tedious monologue which was barely comedy at all, but we're supposed to believe it to be so hilarious that it immediately shot her to stardom... please. The multiple time threads were annoying af also but I suppose they were necessary to wrap things up.

i dont know if the point was that she was going to knock it out of the park doing her best bit ever... it was more about taking the opportunity she had... she wasnt supposed to ever get a shot on the show... but she took it when she did... and did not bomb!!! and that was what was impressive, it was all spontaneous, and nothing prepared!!

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont know if the point was that she was going to knock it out of the park doing her best bit ever... it was more about taking the opportunity she had... she wasnt supposed to ever get a shot on the show... but she took it when she did... and did not bomb!!!

They had the audience going nuts as if it was the funniest bit they'd ever seen and that did not match her material imo. An unknown comedien given her first shot on national TV would not go on like she did and the audience would not have reacted like that. The whole bit just rang very false to me. The final scene with her and Susie as older friends on the phone at the end was very cool though and a nice wrapup.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had the audience going nuts as if it was the funniest bit they'd ever seen and that did not match her material imo. An unknown comedien given her first shot on national TV would not go on like she did and the audience would not have reacted like that. The whole bit just rang very false to me. The final scene with her and Susie as older friends on the phone at the end was very cool though and a nice wrapup.
I agree, I thought that was a bit off...hell even Gordon cracking up over her set was a bit much. Like, he knew she was funny and has seen her but he acted so surprised when she was funny on his show. That kind of sat wrong with me.

I liked the final season and have not had any issues with any of the casting though. The show was great IMO

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The show as a whole was great. No doubt that the last season had its problems though.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The show as a whole was great. No doubt that the last season had its problems though.
I don't think it felt rushed and I liked the time hops they were doing so you weren't left hanging and all...

but I thought the whole storyline with Joel and the new baby mama was ended too soon. I get that the actress was getting big and all but still...she was good. So was the illusionist.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I thought that was a bit off...hell even Gordon cracking up over her set was a bit much. Like, he knew she was funny and has seen her but he acted so surprised when she was funny on his show. That kind of sat wrong with me.

I liked the final season and have not had any issues with any of the casting though. The show was great IMO

Joel's character was the only one where I had an issue with the actor playing it. Both moms I found rather unlikeable but I think that was intended and not the actresses' fault.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joel's character was the only one where I had an issue with the actor playing it. Both moms I found rather unlikeable but I think that was intended and not the actresses' fault.
I think they both nailed the Jewish mom stereotype to a tee. I didn't dislike either character one bit

the parents were some of my favorite characters

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well, half the crowd was her family... but i felt the point was that she was always good enough... but she finally got the opportunity, and took it...

sure, it would have been nice if the writers wrote better... but it wasnt a bad bit... and again, nothing prepared, will always make a bit LOOK better...
which i think was the point as well...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they both nailed the Jewish mom stereotype to a tee.

it was all stereotypical... but thats fine in a exaggerated drama like this...

Reactions: ill

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was all stereotypical... but thats fine in a exaggerated drama like this...
I mean, that's what they were going for.

I think Joel's mom fit one stereotype and Midge's fit the other and they both did it very well.

same with the fathers. The chemistry between both sets of parents was really good

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, that's what they were going for.

I think Joel's mom fit one stereotype and Midge's fit the other and they both did it very well.

same with the fathers. The chemistry between both sets of parents was really good

absolutely... i thought all 4 grandparents were all amazing... i thought everyone was casted well...

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I read that they did not intend for it to be the last season.. the network forced it on them. I suspect that's because the show must have cost a fortune to make. So they squeezed in everything they wanted to portray in a single season. It was great show overall but that made for a very uneven final season.

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they both nailed the Jewish mom stereotype to a tee. I didn't dislike either character one bit

the parents were some of my favorite characters
To me, every episode was like watching characters in a Broadway play...all the dialogue was announced rather than spoken...not that that was a bad thing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, every episode was like watching characters in a Broadway play...all the dialogue was announced rather than spoken...not that that was a bad thing.
The choreography, the dialogue, the acting, the costumes, the soundtrack…

Everything about this show screamed STAGE rather than film.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The choreography, the dialogue, the acting, the costumes, the soundtrack…

Everything about this show screamed STAGE rather than film.

but i feel like that was the intended feel... it was meant to be a colorful, overexaggerated portrayal of the 1950s

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but i feel like that was the intended feel... it was meant to be a colorful, overexaggerated portrayal of the 1950s
Agree 100%. No question that was the intended genre. Very similar to Birdman.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100%. No question that was the intended genre. Very similar to Birdman.

i never watched Mad Men... but that is the most popular period piece of this ilk... was that over exaggerated like this?? I know that it is famous for the colorful outfits...