• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last of Us

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And by the way Nick Offerman's performance as a drunken defense attorney in this Fargo episode is his best work in my book.

It is just brilliant.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And by the way Nick Offerman's performance as a drunken defense attorney in this Fargo episode is his best work in my book.

It is just brilliant.

he's a really good character actor

I should give one of his books a read, to be honest. Dude is very wise....and he's got a cool wife

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said it before but I thought it was a good piece of world building. They have an entire season to fill with episodes.

I guess my question would be had they been just a hetero couple and Bill had caught a woman in his trap, would they be grasping their pearls over it? I don't think it would be as profound an episode, but I don't know if that was the actors doing or what...

on the other hand, had they done an episode where a hetero couple falls in love, would I be complaining that the episode was a waste of time and didn't move the story? Unsure.
Considering that half of these zombie shows usually have some romantic stories merged in I would say yes.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the complaint earlier in this thread was that Ep 3 was their first opportunity to have an episode with just Ellie and Joel and they wasted it.

Seeing Ep 4, they didn't waste a whole lot. There will be plenty of scenes with the two of them together and build on their story.

Shit, I want to know the background on the new chick in Ep 4 now. Give me all the backgrounds. Everyone in this show has their own story and that is kind of awesome.
I’d imagine we’ll definitely get a good amount of background on Henry and Sam, and by proximity the “new chick’s” story will be intertwined I’d think.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1675789583131.png

I liked episode 3 a lot, but I've liked the series a lot and, it's not my favorite episode so far (I haven't seen ep. 4 yet). Right now my scores are 9, 8, 8, all great episodes.

I understand that giving it a 1 score just because it features a gay story is really dumb. But giving it a 10 just because it features a gay story is equally dumb. There are people calling it the greatest episode ever on HBO, just because of that.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 320782

I liked episode 3 a lot, but I've liked the series a lot and, it's not my favorite episode so far (I haven't seen ep. 4 yet). Right now my scores are 9, 8, 8, all great episodes.

I understand that giving it a 1 score just because it features a gay story is really dumb. But giving it a 10 just because it features a gay story is equally dumb. There are people calling it the greatest episode ever on HBO, just because of that.
I think it was a good episode because it was a really well told story.

not knowing anything about the characters, I was a little surprised when the beard on beard kissing happened and thought the acting was great on both sides...and it was a really nice story.

like I said above, I don't know what the ratings would be had it been a hetero couple

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was a good episode because it was a really well told story.

not knowing anything about the characters, I was a little surprised when the beard on beard kissing happened and thought the acting was great on both sides...and it was a really nice story.

like I said above, I don't know what the ratings would be had it been a hetero couple

I loved it, it was a great episode on a great series. I hope they continue world building and giving us backstories for many other characters. It would have been great to see Tess' backstory, for example.

I just loved episode one a bit more.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved it, it was a great episode on a great series. I hope they continue world building and giving us backstories for many other characters. It would have been great to see Tess' backstory, for example.

I just loved episode one a bit more.
agree, that would have been a good one.

they played a bit more with Joel's relationship with her when Ellie asked about it, so maybe later on in the season he actually addresses it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 320782

This is basically the exact discourse to The Last of Us Part II the video game. Its a solid 8 out of 10 that gets wild 10/10 praise and then ridiculous 1 or 2/10 scores.

There is this new Harry Potter video game out now. Probably getting properly rated on metacritic at the moment because journalists do their job but there is a boycott on everything Harry Potter because of the authors statements on trans people. The game is almost certainly going to get covered less and blacklisted from GOTY consideration but its still at least getting some level of respect as a game. They arent giving the game a 1 or 2 out of 10 like you're seeing on the other side of this type of this political arena. But the people who are giving 1s or 2s are irrelevant.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is basically the exact discourse to The Last of Us Part II the video game. Its a solid 8 out of 10 that gets wild 10/10 praise and then ridiculous 1 or 2/10 scores.

There is this new Harry Potter video game out now. Probably getting properly rated on metacritic at the moment because journalists do their job but there is a boycott on everything Harry Potter because of the authors statements on trans people. The game is almost certainly going to get covered less and blacklisted from GOTY consideration but its still at least getting some level of respect as a game. They arent giving the game a 1 or 2 out of 10 like you're seeing on the other side of this type of this political arena. But the people who are giving 1s or 2s are irrelevant.
1 or 2 is a very strong feeling for anything, as is giving something a 10.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, boycotting or blacklisting just for the author's comments that are pretty much unrelated to the game, is worse than giving it a few 1 or 2 scores. Maybe professional reviewers and journalists do a better job, but they also have their own prejudices.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 320782

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that a hell of a lot more 1 star reviews are just because there's a gay couple than 10 star reviews.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really like the show.

And I like the fact I really like it even though I'd never heard of it or "the game" previously.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 or 2 is a very strong feeling for anything, as is giving something a 10.
The issue I have is that it isnt really based on the merit of the work but whether or not the person thinks the work should be seen as a success or failure in a binary fashion.

I've already given my beef with Naughty Dog's storytelling. Thats really my only issue with TLOU. Its kind of like a Cormac McCarthy novel...that they made a sequel to. And now they're going back to change the original novel a bit.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, boycotting or blacklisting just for the author's comments that are pretty much unrelated to the game, is worse than giving it a few 1 or 2 scores. Maybe professional reviewers and journalists do a better job, but they also have their own prejudices.
If you don't want to put money in her pocket, then boycotting is the best solution.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d imagine we’ll definitely get a good amount of background on Henry and Sam, and by proximity the “new chick’s” story will be intertwined I’d think.
The new chick used to stalk this guy and his brother at their Malibu Beach house before the virus spread...

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the complaint earlier in this thread was that Ep 3 was their first opportunity to have an episode with just Ellie and Joel and they wasted it.

Seeing Ep 4, they didn't waste a whole lot. There will be plenty of scenes with the two of them together and build on their story.

Shit, I want to know the background on the new chick in Ep 4 now. Give me all the backgrounds. Everyone in this show has their own story and that is kind of awesome.
I think episode 3 was pretty much the perfect episode for that episode. Assuming the story keeps developing each episode it would have been odd to have this episode 7 or 8 in .

It was also a good heads up the series may not do exactly what some people think it will.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't want to put money in her pocket, then boycotting is the best solution.

Well, I think you would be hurting the developers and distributors more... but still my point is that boycotting / blacklisting a game based on some comments that don't affect the game in any way or aren't part of the game or story is more reactionary than just giving a 1 score to one episode based on the episode's content.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's unreasonable to think that a hell of a lot more 1 star reviews are just because there's a gay couple than 10 star reviews.

Sure. It was a great episode, I get why it would be a 10 for some people. We are watching TLoU every Saturday with my wife, and she was amazed by how we felt about this episode, we felt actual sadness and empathy, even when many times we just roll our eyes because of the way gay people are inserted into stories.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. It was a great episode, I get why it would be a 10 for some people. We are watching TLoU every Saturday with my wife, and she was amazed by how we felt about this episode, we felt actual sadness and empathy, even when many times we just roll our eyes because of the way gay people are inserted into stories.
I'm thinking there may have been a strategy behind this.

My wife didn't think the first two episodes were that great, but really liked the 3rd episode and now she's hooked.

Maybe they felt most soccer moms wouldn't like the idea of a video game show and this was the perfect hook for drawing them in from an empathic standpoint. Might be a blueprint moving forward.