• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dazed & Confused (1993)

An overrated romp. I’m glad I finally saw it but I wouldn’t care to watch it again.

B

Agreed. It was ok. But like Fast Times at Ridgemont High, it's reputation far exceeds its quality.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kajillionaire. Richard Jenkins, Deborah Winger and Evan Rachael Wood as a family of very small time, misfit con artists.. they're basically a step above homeless trash pickers. It did have it's moments but only because those are some fine actors. But mostly it was just a whole lot of unrealistic foolishness that couldn't make up its mind whether we are supposed to view these folks as caricatures or real people.

It got a 90% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, which is just further confirmation that I can't trust the RT critics consensus. The audience gave it a 47% and I suspect that was inflated by a few "audience member" reviews by people with skin in the game who praised it. The audience was right. Don't bother. 3/10

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In The Heat Of The Night (1966)

It won the Academy Award for Best Picture. It is very good with a nice tight plot, fat-free. Well-acted and realistic. Pretty simple though.

A-

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We watched The Producers (the original), To Kill a Mockingbird and The Hustler (also the original) last night... all 3 great flicks and obvious classics of their day. It's been a while since I'd watched any of them and while I enjoyed them all, The Hustler was the only one that really holds up 60 years down the road.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched Kate on Netflix.

We've seen this story already, but it was still well executed, Mary Elizabeth Winstead did her part very well. It's worth a look.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Golden Blonde…..

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched "News of the World" with Tom Hanks last night. It was far better than I expected. Hanks was great in a western. Definitely worth the watch.
Read the book. It's 25 times better than the movie!

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very few movies are as good as the book(s). I allow that Lord of the Rings was damned close.
I actually thought the Lord of the Rings movies were better than the books. J.R.R. Tolkien took so long to describe things in his near-endless run-on paragraphs that it made for headache-inducing reading.

I also thought the Harry Potter movies were pretty much the equal of the books.

The first True Grit movie varied quite a bit from the version that was serialized in magazine format, but was good in its own right (except for Glen Campbell's awful acting). The second version was a little truer to the book in some ways, but wasn't as good of a movie.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually thought the Lord of the Rings movies were better than the books. J.R.R. Tolkien took so long to describe things in his near-endless run-on paragraphs that it made for headache-inducing reading.

I also thought the Harry Potter movies were pretty much the equal of the books.

The first True Grit movie varied quite a bit from the version that was serialized in magazine format, but was good in its own right (except for Glen Campbell's awful acting). The second version was a little truer to the book in some ways, but wasn't as good of a movie.
Totally agree with the Harry Potter movies. Spot on!

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We watched The Producers (the original), To Kill a Mockingbird and The Hustler (also the original) last night... all 3 great flicks and obvious classics of their day. It's been a while since I'd watched any of them and while I enjoyed them all, The Hustler was the only one that really holds up 60 years down the road.

The original Producers is a complete classic.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The original Producers is a complete classic.

I agree. It's hilarious.. Mostel, Wilder.. Dick Shawn. I've never even seen the remake. I just meant that some parts of it .. dialog, plot points, were somewhat dated.. same with To Kill a Mockingbird. The Hustler was not imo.. except for the fact that poolhalls are not as common as they were back then.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. It's hilarious.. Mostel, Wilder.. Dick Shawn. I've never even seen the remake. I just meant that some parts of it .. dialog, plot points, were somewhat dated.. same with To Kill a Mockingbird. The Hustler was not imo.. except for the fact that poolhalls are not as common as they were back then.

The new one is ok but not near as good. It was a lot easier to stretch the boundaries of good taste in the past.. .LOL.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new one is ok but not near as good. It was a lot easier to stretch the boundaries of good taste in the past.. .LOL.

Seriously. It probably couldn't be made today.

That's one of the things I agree with conservatives about. This most recent generation, not millenniels.. but whatever we're calling this generation after them, has ruined comedy.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously. It probably couldn't be made today.

That's one of the things I agree with conservatives about. This most recent generation, not millenniels.. but whatever we're calling this generation after them, has ruined comedy.

Oh I agree as well. Political correctness has killed a lot of good comedy.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I enjoyed the movies a great deal. I also enjoyed reading the books as well as they do provide a lot more detail. But yeah there are definite spots in the books where the story dragged. Tom Bodarialalala anyone?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suicide Squad
Jurassic Park

Would not normally watch the former but my daughter has a friend who puts 4K movies up for viewing. He's where I see Ted Lasso.

Suicide Squad was everything I thought it was going to be but still entertaining.

Jurassic Park was surprising good in 4K, must have been because they had a 3D version or something to work from?