• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dog Day Afternoon: 3/5 stars. I had such fucking hopes for us, String.

I enjoyed this film, but the ending was pretty horrible. I know that it was based on a true story, but that doesn't mean it makes for good cinema. I was really enjoying it up until the anti-climatic final 30 minutes or so. I still liked it overall, mainly because of Pacino (who delivered his best 1970's performance in this film, IMO), Savage, and Charles Durning's performance as the first negotiator, Moretti.

This scene was epic as fuck. The sheer pandemonium that Sidney Lumet is able to capture in these ~45 seconds is astounding. I love Moretti running back and forth, trying to calm Pacino's character down.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dog Day Afternoon: 3/5 stars. I had such fucking hopes for us, String.

I enjoyed this film, but the ending was pretty horrible. I know that it was based on a true story, but that doesn't mean it makes for good cinema. I was really enjoying it up until the anti-climatic final 30 minutes or so. I still liked it overall, mainly because of Pacino (who delivered his best 1970's performance in this film, IMO), Savage, and Charles Durning's performance as the first negotiator, Moretti.

This scene was epic as fuck. The sheer pandemonium that Sidney Lumet is able to capture in these ~45 seconds is astounding. I love Moretti running back and forth, trying to calm Pacino's character down.

Only seen it once, but I thought it was a great film. I would give it 4.5 out of 5. I still remember Pacino yelling "Attica, Attica, Attica." Clearly one of Pacino's great performances.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Traffic: 5/5 stars. The 11th film I have ever awarded a perfect 5/5 star rating to. This movie was devastating at times, hopeful at (few) others, but captivating throughout its entirety. The fact that this film was so far ahead of its time (released in 2000) makes me wonder if this movie was part of a larger tapestry of events that pushed America, as a society, to (very slowly) start thinking about out how we view drugs- users, suppliers, enforcers, suppliers/enforcers- and ask if we are thinking rationally.

I love that Traffic didn't preach. I don't think it preached for one moment- and it even had an opportunity to with Michael Douglas' character at the end that it declined, which was a brilliant decision. Instead of preaching, the film presents realistic scenarios that have happened and do happen today regarding drug usage, trafficking, and the enforcement of both; and the movie lets you draw your own conclusion. It may appear preachy because most all rational people come to the exact same conclusion- but that's only based off the realistic scenarios portrayed. Nothing was erroneously politicized to push one agenda over another.

The best performances were Douglas, Don Cheadle, and Benicio Del Toro- in that order.

Though this movie was released 18 years ago, we haven't had a better comprehensive look at the idea of "drugs" since, just like there wasn't a better comprehensive look before the movie's release. You could wait for a better one from this point forward, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Traffic: 5/5 stars. The 11th film I have ever awarded a perfect 5/5 star rating to. This movie was devastating at times, hopeful at (few) others, but captivating throughout its entirety. The fact that this film was so far ahead of its time (released in 2000) makes me wonder if this movie was part of a larger tapestry of events that pushed America, as a society, to (very slowly) start thinking about out how we view drugs- users, suppliers, enforcers, suppliers/enforcers- and ask if we are thinking rationally.

I love that Traffic didn't preach. I don't think it preached for one moment- and it even had an opportunity to with Michael Douglas' character at the end that it declined, which was a brilliant decision. Instead of preaching, the film presents realistic scenarios that have happened and do happen today regarding drug usage, trafficking, and the enforcement of both; and the movie lets you draw your own conclusion. It may appear preachy because most all rational people come to the exact same conclusion- but that's only based off the realistic scenarios portrayed. Nothing was erroneously politicized to push one agenda over another.

The best performances were Douglas, Don Cheadle, and Benicio Del Toro- in that order.

Though this movie was released 18 years ago, we haven't had a better comprehensive look at the idea of "drugs" since, just like there wasn't a better comprehensive look before the movie's release. You could wait for a better one from this point forward, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Have you seen this?

The House I Live In (2012 film) - Wikipedia

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black Panther (2018)

This is definitely in the Top 5 of Marvel movies. I think it was just a (slight) notch below Captain America: the Winter Soldier. Some are calling it "anti-white", but I wouldn't. It's more of an African Pride sentiment.

A-

Is there any white folk in it.............?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, and I've never seen a whole ton of documentaries in my life, but I may need to check it out now. I still doubt it could top Traffic though, but you never know. I was shocked Traffic was as captivating and powerful as it was.

Did you see Traffic (presumably when it came out)?

I did but I don't think I've rewatched it since then. I remember liking it but it's also the kind of thing that wasn't really a big "eye opener" to me (this has been a pet cause of mine for a while) which probably somewhat affected how I received it.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did but I don't think I've rewatched it since then. I remember liking it but it's also the kind of thing that wasn't really a big "eye opener" to me (this has been a pet cause of mine for a while) which probably somewhat affected how I received it.
Oh no, not necessarily an eye-opener for me either. Also a pet-cause of mine- but I was impressed that the movie came out in 2000. I feel like in 2000, more people thought like Jeff Sessions than not.

This thread didn't go over too well over on the PF....

http://sportshoop.la/threads/all-drugs-should-be-legalized.235780/

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Batman vs Superman.

I really wanted to hate it.

Not great by any stretch but it filled 2 hours late Sat afternoon.

I'd never recommend it but I watched it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Coco.

Too messy and depressing for a kids movie and the writing is just awful. Visually stunning, good songs and touching at the end but I can't say I recommend the movie when ones like Spirited Away exist.

B-

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Coco.

Too messy and depressing for a kids movie and the writing is just awful. Visually stunning, good songs and touching at the end but I can't say I recommend the movie when ones like Spirited Away exist.

B-

My 6 year daughter loves Pixar-shit...not one slips by. We had to turn Coco off. It was too scary and depressing for her.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 6 year daughter loves Pixar-shit...not one slips by. We had to turn Coco off. It was too scary and depressing for her.
It seems like it raises too many questions for kids, too. Remember grandma or else she'll die for real and it's your fault.

Yikes

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to do this weekend so I watched a few.

Shane
Reservoir Dogs
Hateful Eight
Pans Labyrinth
Divorce American Style

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to do this weekend so I watched a few.

Shane
Reservoir Dogs
Hateful Eight
Pans Labyrinth
Divorce American Style

Interesting selection. Shane was a great western. Alan Ladd, Jack Palance, Brandon De Wilde, Van Heflin.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15:17 to Paris. Watched this last week. Always tough to make a successful movie when the ending is known. Not to mention, using the original participants in this true to life story of a foiled terrorist attack on a train. The non-actors do a pretty good job of portraying the relationships and events of that day on the train. Nothing great, but better than average performances.

Too much time is spent on a travelogue in Europe as the 3 travel around Europe before getting on the fateful train to Paris.

The last 1/4th of the movie is the best with the actual attack and the foiling of the plot. Very graphic.

B+

Dusty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Tombstone”, Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Sam Elliott and Bill Paxton. Watched it on Xfinity On Demand, free movies. Probably the third time I’ve watched it but I always pick up something I missed previously. Always been a big western fan and a great one it was.