• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Magnificent Seven (2016)

Pretty cool casting dynamic in this movie. Decent acting all around. Never saw the original, but this was an awesome film mainly due to the excellent gun fight sequences. The story felt forced. The reasoning for most of the 7 joining the fight was either obscured or absurd. Didn't really make sense, but thankfully I got over it.

7/10
Weird that you say it was awesome and only give it a 7/10 which is basically the same grade I gave it and I thought it was mostly just a waste of acting talent and likely a movie i'll completely forget in a couple of years.

I might need to change my grading scale.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird that you say it was awesome and only give it a 7/10 which is basically the same grade I gave it and I thought it was mostly just a waste of acting talent and likely a movie i'll completely forget in a couple of years.

Interesting topic...

What does your scale mean?

For me...

10 - CLASSIC. One of the greatest movies of all time, and can be viewed multiple time without getting bored. Only a small handful of movies fall into this category (Godfather, Holy Grail)

9 - Great movie. Certainly could be an all-time great, but there is SOMETHING wrong with it. I think I would probably put Matrix and New Hope in this category.

6 - 8 - Not a great movie, but there is at least something that is potentially extraordinary about it. I don't necessarily have to actually enjoy the movie personally for it fall in this range. Birdman, I think, I gave a 7 because it was well done and carried out a well executed gimmick, even though I didn't exactly enjoy the movie myself.

5 - Forgettable, but entertaining. I probably found it worth the two hours, but I will likely never watch it again.

4 - I need to be in the right mindset to enjoy it. I also tend to put movies that I enjoyed for some reason, even though it was clearly a bad, stupid movie.

1 - 3 - Horrible movie with little to no redeeming value. I actually very seldom place a movie in this category.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't even bring myself to rent it.

Or Point Break.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting topic...

For me...

10 - CLASSIC. One of the greatest movies of all time, and can be viewed multiple time without getting bored. Only a small handful of movies fall into this category (Godfather, Holy Grail)

9 - Great movie. Certainly could be an all-time great, but there is SOMETHING wrong with it. I think I would probably put Matrix and New Hope in this category.

6 - 8 - Not a great movie, but there is at least something that is potentially extraordinary about it. I don't necessarily have to actually enjoy the movie personally for it fall in this range. Birdman, I think, I gave a 7 because it was well done and carried out a well executed gimmick, even though I didn't exactly enjoy the movie myself.

5 - Forgettable, but entertaining. I probably found it worth the two hours, but I will likely never watch it again.

4 - I need to be in the right mindset to enjoy it. I also tend to put movies that I enjoyed for some reason, even though it was clearly a bad, stupid movie.

1 - 3 - Horrible movie with little to no redeeming value. I actually very seldom place a movie in this category.
I use a grading scale like school.

A is a classic
B is entertaining or solid all around
C is passable but not much effort was put into it
D is something that is genuinely bad, awful or even offensive
F is classic awful

Birdman for me was an A for me but I enjoyed the 'gimmick' but I get what you're saying there.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My scale is more of a loose guide, though. I would absolutely rate Passions of the Christ as a 10, but I have no intention of ever watching it a second time. It was intended to be difficult to watch because it was making a statement. And that statement was absolutely made. One of, if not the, most powerful movies I have ever seen.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use a grading scale like school.

A is a classic
B is entertaining or solid all around
C is passable but not much effort was put into it
D is something that is genuinely bad, awful or even offensive
F is classic awful

Birdman for me was an A for me but I enjoyed the 'gimmick' but I get what you're saying there.
I try to take 2 things into account when I watch/rate a movie...

1) My enjoyment. Did I like it? Did I have fun?

2) Production value. Was it intended to be "art"? Were the SFX particularly ground breaking? How was the acting?

I liked Birdman because it was written well and pulled off the gimmick. But it didn't particularly care for the movie itself. It didn't have much entertainment value. 2001 was amazing for its time and really pushed the limits of what a movie COULD be. But it was boring as sin. Avatar is the greatest SFX movie ever made. The colors, sounds, landscape, camera work were all World-class. But the story was pulled off the shelf of the local mini-mart.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you read the whole review? I said it was awesome due to the gunfights... My way of hinting it wasn't a great movie.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting topic...

For me...

This is essentially my thought process...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should definitely see the original too. A tad dated but it had a lot of famous actors in it before they became famous.
Will definitely be checking it out.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Birth of a Nation: 1.5/5 stars. Actually a decent middle part, but the rest was just awful, racist propaganda (not that the middle part wasn't racist propaganda but at least it was mildly entertaining)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arrival

Interesting. I went in with super high expectations, so I knew I was going to be disappointed. But still really enjoyed it. I will not be able to rate it for a day or two, though. Too much going on.

i heard a lot of people comparing it to Interstellar, but I think it was more like Contact. Sure it had the time loop of Interstellar, but the whole feel was more like Contact.

Minor gripe...

If the Septopods existed non-linearly, why didn't they understand the problems that would arise during first contact with Earth?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad Santa 2: It was actually pretty funny for a sequel. Ima sucker for Billy Bob in that role, he's perfect in it.