• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Knicks are getting closer to engaging in trade talks involving 'Melo

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are way too low on Melo. Dude can put the ball in the basket better than most of the league.

You put Melo on the right team and he is not that much different than Dirk in his prime. He should have signed with Chicago when he had the chance. He would be considered a top 10 player still by everyone if he had and he actually would have got to play in some meaningful games.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melo is too old? He's 31.

31 is a problem when the Lakers are in the rebuilding stage and needs to be giving their rookies the playing time. In a few years they could have an awesome team like the Warriors and one with potential to last a few years. Carmello is a great individual player, but is not a good team player. I would prefer to see them getting used to team ball, passing and sharing and not standing by while Carmelo does a cheap imitation of Kobe Bryant and yest 31 is too old for the Lakers team. He needs to find a team where he would make them contenders immediately with his presence. The Miami Heat or Chicago Bulls would be much better places then the Lakers for him

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,968.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
31 is a problem when the Lakers are in the rebuilding stage and needs to be giving their rookies the playing time. In a few years they could have an awesome team like the Warriors and one with potential to last a few years. Carmello is a great individual player, but is not a good team player. I would prefer to see them getting used to team ball, passing and sharing and not standing by while Carmelo does a cheap imitation of Kobe Bryant and yest 31 is too old for the Lakers team. He needs to find a team where he would make them contenders immediately with his presence. The Miami Heat or Chicago Bulls would be much better places then the Lakers for him

Um, hello? We don't have a viable starting SF. They are talking about playing Kobe there or a 3 guard lineup.....

Hypothetically, if we traded a washed up Kobe for Melo we'd have this lineup:

G-Russell
G-Clarkson
F-Melo
F-Randle
C-Hibbert

3 youngster's with 2 veteran's in Melo and Hibbert.

As opposed to

G-Russell
G-Clarkson
G-Kobe
F-Randle
C-Hibbert

The first team is a borderline playoff team, possibly a 7th seed. The second team is a likely 35 win team, at best. Because, Kobe may play 45-50 games, max.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, hello? We don't have a viable starting SF. They are talking about playing Kobe there or a 3 guard lineup.....

Hypothetically, if we traded a washed up Kobe for Melo we'd have this lineup:

G-Russell
G-Clarkson
F-Melo
F-Randle
C-Hibbert

3 youngster's with 2 veteran's in Melo and Hibbert.

As opposed to

G-Russell
G-Clarkson
G-Kobe
F-Randle
C-Hibbert

The first team is a borderline playoff team, possibly a 7th seed. The second team is a likely 35 win team, at best. Because, Kobe may play 45-50 games, max.

I realize that the season is shot before it's even started, but that would be the case even with Carmelo. The Lakers need all three of the big three like what Miami had. I would rather pay the price and play the young guys and let them have the entire season to get relevant. Then they would be ready and attractive for some bigger game next year. Hibbert and Melo and Kobe if Kobe stayed healthy would not be a bad combo, but the downside is it would slow down the growth of the young core of players development. That's what I am about and I simply don't like Melo in case you hadn't noticed - Sorry

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,968.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that the season is shot before it's even started, but that would be the case even with Carmelo. The Lakers need all three of the big three like what Miami had. I would rather pay the price and play the young guys and let them have the entire season to get relevant. Then they would be ready and attractive for some bigger game next year. Hibbert and Melo and Kobe if Kobe stayed healthy would not be a bad combo, but the downside is it would slow down the growth of the young core of players development. That's what I am about and I simply don't like Melo in case you hadn't noticed - Sorry

You're missing the point. To get Melo we'd have to give up Kobe.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're missing the point. To get Melo we'd have to give up Kobe.
I'm okay with giving up Kobe except for one thing, but honestly I don't think it would help. We would have a slightly better team that still goes no where and I think that the development of the young players is more important. That leads the question as to who you want teaching Russell, Randle and the other guys. Kobe a five time championship and two time international Olympics winner or Carmelo

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,968.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm okay with giving up Kobe except for one thing, but honestly I don't think it would help. We would have a slightly better team that still goes no where and I think that the development of the young players is more important. That leads the question as to who you want teaching Russell, Randle and the other guys. Kobe a five time championship and two time international Olympics winner or Carmelo

Kobe's done. Stick a fork in him.

Melo gives them a legit All-Star caliber SF to go with youngsters Clarkson, Russell, and Randle plus veteran big man Hibbert. That's a solid starting 5 and the bench is solid. I think that squad makes the playoffs as an 8, maybe a 7 seed.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with TLF. No on 'Melo. When it comes to demanding the ball, 'Melo is basically Kobe without the defense, championships and wanting to win at all costs.

So, they bring in 'Melo and manage to get to a 7th or 8th seed. Then what? No top FA's were lining up to play with 'Melo in New York. Why would they do so in L.A.?

Imo, all bringing in 'Melo would do is slow the development of the young guys. I'd rather the Lakers stick with what they've got, develop the youngsters and then go after young FA's after the season when the cap goes up and Kobe's contract comes off the books. Similar to what OKC did with Durant, Westbrook and Harden with the difference being that the Lakers would have paid to keep Harden and will do so with any young guys they develop.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe's done. Stick a fork in him.

Melo gives them a legit All-Star caliber SF to go with youngsters Clarkson, Russell, and Randle plus veteran big man Hibbert. That's a solid starting 5 and the bench is solid. I think that squad makes the playoffs as an 8, maybe a 7 seed.

No chance that squad makes the playoffs in the WC IMO unless Russell and Randle are two of the best rookies in the history of the league (and neither one is likely to be a positive player right away).

You Laker fans haven't watched enough rebuilding in your time. Great rookies are a positive addition to a club. Good rookies are still a negative when they are in your starting lineup and will lose more games than they win. The best way to get positive additions from a rookie is have him on the bench and give him limited minutes.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,968.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance that squad makes the playoffs in the WC IMO unless Russell and Randle are two of the best rookies in the history of the league (and neither one is likely to be a positive player right away).

You Laker fans haven't watched enough rebuilding in your time. Great rookies are a positive addition to a club. Good rookies are still a negative when they are in your starting lineup and will lose more games than they win. The best way to get positive additions from a rookie is have him on the bench and give him limited minutes.

Without Kobe in the lineup....Melo would be the clear #1 option and say what you want about him but he's a great scorer. Clarkson would be a solid #2 option and he showed last year he's a capable player. In his sophomore season, he's primed for a breakout performance. Randle is coming back off an injury so this is essentially his rookie season but he's a solid player and as a #3 he's just fine. Russell is the #4 option and he's fine in this role. Say what you want about him but Hibbert is the rim protector they needed and lacked last season. This squad is primed to be the Milwaukee Bucks of last season....the Western Conference version.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without Kobe in the lineup....Melo would be the clear #1 option and say what you want about him but he's a great scorer. Clarkson would be a solid #2 option and he showed last year he's a capable player. In his sophomore season, he's primed for a breakout performance. Randle is coming back off an injury so this is essentially his rookie season but he's a solid player and as a #3 he's just fine. Russell is the #4 option and he's fine in this role. Say what you want about him but Hibbert is the rim protector they needed and lacked last season. This squad is primed to be the Milwaukee Bucks of last season....the Western Conference version.

The Bucks were a 500 team (and that is playing more games against the weak eastern foes). That is good enough to get you into the playoffs in the insanely crappy eastern conference. In the West that earns you a trip to the lottery.

There is absolutely no comparing the two conferences right now. A team good enough for the 7th or 8th seed in the East is one of the worst 4 teams in the West and it really looks like it is going to stay that way for the foreseeable future.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole conversation is pointless.

No

Trade

Clause

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melo's style of play is not conducive to today's NBA game. 15-20 years ago, he would have been dominant and a sure fire Hall of Fame player. Now, he's seen as a ball stopper in an evolving NBA game that thrives off ball movement. He still can be a great player, but in order for him to be one, he'll need the offense to be catered to him. He's still a great scorer. He's a plus player in the block because of his size and strength. He's got range. He's got a good handle. The only problem is he needs 8-10 seconds with the ball in his hands for him to decide what he wants to do. That supremely limits what a team can do in the half court.

This is also why Kobe has caught so much flak in the last 2-3 years, versus the first part of his career. He's the exact same player he was 14 years ago in terms of his style of play. It's the style of play the NBA has adopted that puts more importance on things, other than scoring.

analytics and advanced stats have opened the eyes of most NBA fans. At a time AI was lauded for this and that. Now when we reflect on his career and look at things in terms of efficiency/team he loses a lot of luster.

Its good for the game, has gone a long way to improve the final product IMO.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with TLF. No on 'Melo. When it comes to demanding the ball, 'Melo is basically Kobe without the defense, championships and wanting to win at all costs.

So, they bring in 'Melo and manage to get to a 7th or 8th seed. Then what? No top FA's were lining up to play with 'Melo in New York. Why would they do so in L.A.?

Imo, all bringing in 'Melo would do is slow the development of the young guys. I'd rather the Lakers stick with what they've got, develop the youngsters and then go after young FA's after the season when the cap goes up and Kobe's contract comes off the books. Similar to what OKC did with Durant, Westbrook and Harden with the difference being that the Lakers would have paid to keep Harden and will do so with any young guys they develop.
Besides that, the Lakers are not going to trade Kobe under any circumstances. He is going to finish his career in Los Angeles and they are going to milk him for fans wanting to see him the last time and they are most likely setting him for assistant coach position or something else. Let the young guys play and develop. Yes they will lose a lot of games, but I had to lose a lot chess games against the best in order to become a good chess player. Its no different now

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides that, the Lakers are not going to trade Kobe under any circumstances. He is going to finish his career in Los Angeles and they are going to milk him for fans wanting to see him the last time and they are most likely setting him for assistant coach position or something else. Let the young guys play and develop. Yes they will lose a lot of games, but I had to lose a lot chess games against the best in order to become a good chess player. Its no different now

Exactly. Kobe has played his entire career with the Lakers, to suddenly decide to trade him for someone like Melo would be an insult to him and to Lakers fans. Let Kobe and Lakers fans have this last season and then move on.

If memory serves, OKC went through some pretty rough seasons while KD and Westbrook were developing. The Lakers have chosen to rebuild through the draft and young FA's. To suddenly try to change directions midstream by trading for Melo would just drop them into that 6-8 seed hell that they are trying to avoid.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Kobe has played his entire career with the Lakers, to suddenly decide to trade him for someone like Melo would be an insult to him and to Lakers fans. Let Kobe and Lakers fans have this last season and then move on.

If memory serves, OKC went through some pretty rough seasons while KD and Westbrook were developing. The Lakers have chosen to rebuild through the draft and young FA's. To suddenly try to change directions midstream by trading for Melo would just drop them into that 6-8 seed hell that they are trying to avoid.
The only thing that most likely change is the timeline it takes to become a serious playoff contender as in one that has a legitimate chance. I still don't think that will happens by the end of next year, but in a couple of more years when this group is really good, then absolutely because serious agents will want to jump on.