• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Jerry Sloan Thread

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a coach, Jerry had some irritating quirks. But one thing he DID do well, no did do supremely, was not make excuses. That is one thing that I hate about Corbin. Stupid statements like 'we are who we are' is speak for...we just suck, what are we supposed to do about it. Corbin does not seem to lose his temper or take guys to task. Everything is like...sublime. As a fan, Jerry took some of the helium out of the balloon when times got tough. I'm sure we had wretched stretches of play under Jerry. But, he was not one to take it lying down. As a fan, it helped a bit to see him get after a soft, no account defender like Giricek. Or, to be in a news conference and call the team out as a bunch of drug store cowboys. He didn't candy coat the issue....it looked like we were afraid. We played scared. He said it before the fans got frustrated to the point of saying it. I think that this had a calming effect on the village. It definitely kept me watching. And, there was probably an element of fear on the players too....not wanting to go back to the bench after a poor effort. Think anyone on Corbin's team knows how Ostertag felt? I don't. Kid gloves. He probably doesn't want to call them out for fear that they will call him out...as less than a strategist.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a coach, Jerry had some irritating quirks. But one thing he DID do well, no did do supremely, was not make excuses. That is one thing that I hate about Corbin. Stupid statements like 'we are who we are' is speak for...we just suck, what are we supposed to do about it. Corbin does not seem to lose his temper or take guys to task. Everything is like...sublime. As a fan, Jerry took some of the helium out of the balloon when times got tough. I'm sure we had wretched stretches of play under Jerry. But, he was not one to take it lying down. As a fan, it helped a bit to see him get after a soft, no account defender like Giricek. Or, to be in a news conference and call the team out as a bunch of drug store cowboys. He didn't candy coat the issue....it looked like we were afraid. We played scared. He said it before the fans got frustrated to the point of saying it. I think that this had a calming effect on the village. It definitely kept me watching. And, there was probably an element of fear on the players too....not wanting to go back to the bench after a poor effort. Think anyone on Corbin's team knows how Ostertag felt? I don't. Kid gloves. He probably doesn't want to call them out for fear that they will call him out...as less than a strategist.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7 losses in 8 games. Honestly, this will go down as the worst Jazz season in the annals of my history as a fan. Jerry left of his own volition, otherwise that would be the worst in my opinion. This team, on paper, should be good, IMO. Millsap's best days are done. Our backup PGs held in here for a spell, but the law of averages caught up to them. As I thought, Mo won't be a harbinger of glory off this injury.

You guys still think the Jazz did right by standing pat at the deadline? ESA is going to look like the Bates motel.

Our core 4 are just alright. Jazz are banking on the Detroit model, I guess. I don't see it.

I didn't see a deal that I really liked.

This team is playing to how I expected. It doesn't take much to lose. A slight decline from Jefferson and Millsap, as well as an unstable PG rotation, and they're a little bit worse than last year.

This isn't even that big of a dropoff from last year. 15th best team last year, 17th best team this year.

Plus, stuff like this happens in MLB all the time. A 90 win team can look like a 68 win team, and a 68 win team can look like an 89 win team.

You can't predict injuries, or performance declines, but they're a part of sports.

Also, I don't see much offensive talent. There's one guy that can really score. Not even a one-two punch. And unfortunately, when he's on the court, he's 9.0 points worse on defense then the team is with him off the court, so he hurts more than he helps. And the overall team isn't that good on defense. They were the 19th worst defense last year, they're 21st this year. Not much has changed.

Plus, look at the backcourt. There's not one guy who is a surefire starter on a good team. Mo and Foye are backups, and Burks might be a backup guard in this league.

The perimeter defense isn't good. The interior defense isn't good. The perimeter can't shoot or defend. Why would other teams want these guards?

Most other decent teams have 3 consistent guys that can produce, and they're balanced between backcourt and frontcourt. This team doesn't really have one, since 1/2 of the game is on defense and Jefferson is one of the worst there. So they have 0 players that can consistently produce at both ends. And they're all in the frontcourt anyways (counting SF as a frontcourt).

A team like Milwaukee is at least balanced in frontcourt and backcourt. And some offensive players and some defensive players.

I'd probably say one of the 1st round losses was the worst season. The Jazz lost in the 1st round 6 times between 1987-2001. That's too many.

How about getting swept by Golden State as the 2 seed in 1989, or winning 60 games and losing in the 1st round to Houston in 1995? It doesn't matter if Houston went on to win the title. You're supposed to have a deep run after that kind of a regular season. And like I said, if they only lost in the 1st round maybe 3 times in that span, then ok. But there were a lot of 1st round exits.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game ball goes to Jerry Sloans fist and some lubricant.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry-Sloan.jpg

jerry.jpg

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this T-Shirt at the Gateway and thought of Sackataters... I'd get it for you if we were girt-exchanging friends. You might already have it. I saw it in white, not green though.

Jerry T-Shirt.jpg

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the Root broadcast, not ESPN. In reading all the post game commentary and fan reaction, it's clear that him wearing the microphone did not impress people. Most are saying he sounded like an imbecile and a cheerleader at best. He said several times he was proud. Do you think Popovich would say similar? I'm not bashing here. I want to know what you think brings out the best in players? Being their buddy or being their boss? When you watch Pop, or even Sloan, coach, I had the sense that there was a little bit of fear. If someone doesn't produce, then they have to answer...and answer immediately. Contrast to Corbin, nicer and more even tempered. After 50 games, making Marvin answer by moving him to the bench. It's an interesting question...what gets the most production ... leaders that demand it or gently ask for it.

I am assuming you are talking about Ty Corbin being mic'd up? I didn't see the broadcast, except for part of it.

Anyway, this is Jerry being a bit of a buddy off the court but this was after he left. I have also been surprised that he comes to games quite often, or I just happen to see games where he has.

View attachment 4726

Attachments

• enes-jerry.jpg
    enes-jerry.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 23

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think if it was just because of the PG, Sloan would have come back to the Jazz, if not any of the other 17 teams that have changed coaches since Sloan stepped down. Sloan could have come back to the Jazz during the offseason, if it really was because of the PG, and not age/health other multiple factors.

From what I can find, Sloan is the 4th oldest to coach in the NBA, at the time of the following's last game:

Bill Bertka: Last coached @ 71 (he's coached 3 career games, 1 game @ 71, he doesn't count, but listed him for posterity)
Hubie Brown: Last coached @ 71
Larry Brown: Last coached NBA @ 70
Don Nelson: Last coached @ 69
Jerry Sloan: Last coached @ 68, 10 months
Paul Silas (last coached @ 68, 9 months).
Chuck Daly (last coached @ 68, 9 months)
Bernie Bickerstaff (last coached @ 68, 5 games in 2012, doesn't count since he wasn't a full-time coach)

In their 60s:

Rick Adelman: (66)
Dick Motta (last coached @ 65)
Phil Jackson (last coached @ 65)
Gregg Popovich (64)
P.J. Carlesimo (63)
Bob Bass (last coached @ 63)
Bob Weiss (last coached @ 63)
George Karl (61)
Paul Westphal (last coached @ 61)

Bob Hill (last coached @ 59)

So Hubie Brown, Larry Brown, Don Nelson, and Jerry Sloan are the oldest full-time coaches, at the time of their last game. Then its Silas, and Chuck Daly. Adelman appears next.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool Jerry shirt. He sure looks like the lost Alzheimer's patient sometimes now when they cut to I'm in the crowd.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool Jerry shirt. He sure looks like the lost Alzheimer's patient sometimes now when they cut to I'm in the crowd.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen the Jerry w handguns art before. If they had that on a shirt, I'd get it.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen the Jerry w handguns art before. If they had that on a shirt, I'd get it.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if there was a shirt of him drinking beer with Stockton? ;)

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Stockton only drank diet Pepsi because its the right one baby, uh huh.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Stockton only drank diet Pepsi because its the right one baby, uh huh.

Posted somewhere before but just for completeness...

Last edited by a moderator: