• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Jerry Sloan Thread

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. I hate that every d**n thing is f***ing filtered through PR and PC s**t, as if we're some a**h**e that doesn't deserve to know the ******* truth.

I mean, I would gratefully appreciate if matters weren't handled in a matter that does not allow the fan-base to know about events that have an effect on the franchise and the respectable reputations of those we care about in such a degree.

Yeah, but we'll never know because Jerry takes the high road...all the more reason to respect him. I wonder what it is like for him to sit there as a fan and a spectator. As I said in the other thread, he was in the stands tonight. He has been several times this year. I wonder if the Millers have offered him a role there.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon Corbin, that's worthy of an f bomb...make Jerry proud.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there is a man on this planet that I respect more. I just watched his speech after being inducted into the hall of fame and I teared up a couple times. The man is just a living legend to me. There is a point where Jerry mentions Norm Van Lier. They cut to Jordon and he has tears in his eyes. In an era where racial tensions were just beginning to improve, imagine that. Two different worlds. A farm boy meets the big city. That bond that they must have had. It is just damn beautiful to me.

Jerry Sloan's Basketball Hall of Fame Enshrinement Speech - YouTube

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there is a man on this planet that I respect more. I just watched his speech after being inducted into the hall of fame and I teared up a couple times. The man is just a living legend to me. There is a point where Jerry mentions Norm Van Lier. They cut to Jordon and he has tears in his eyes. In an era where racial tensions were just beginning to improve, imagine that. Two different worlds. A farm boy meets the big city. That bond that they must have had. It is just damn beautiful to me.

Jerry Sloan's Basketball Hall of Fame Enshrinement Speech - YouTube

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, while being nostalgic, Karl and John. What is most amazing in today's day and age? INSANE durability. Damn near 20 years of of perfect attendance. I miss that team.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize how much the video looped. I posted before watching, I just thought, "two minutes of Sloan highlights?!!!" But then, it was Van Lier a lot and then repeated. I let you guys down. :(

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SteveO123456789: We need to get rid of the big white stiff.

nuraman00: I don't know if Karl is a better coach than Jerry. Thoughts?

anonymoussource: LOL!

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few players are durable.

Some of the top PFs -- Aldridge, Randolph, Love, also miss a decent amount of games every year.

Most players in most sports get hurt, it's just the way sports are.

Jefferson may be healthy now, but it won't last. Odds are that he'll get injured.

There really doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason why the few durable players are the way they are. Russell Westbrook takes as much contact as anyone, but has never missed a game, not even in HS.

Probably 0.1% of all athletes are durable, in sports.

And it's not about salary either. Minimum salary players have season ending injuries the same as max players.

What are the odds that you get a Stockton and a Malone on the same team then? Or, maybe it was just a different era. If you read the Sloan thread, there was a story about Jerry playing with broken ribs.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the odds that you get a Stockton and a Malone on the same team then? Or, maybe it was just a different era. If you read the Sloan thread, there was a story about Jerry playing with broken ribs.

I don't think it was a different era. You have to think about all of the players in that era that weren't healthy, not just the few that were.

Look at the rosters and games played from other teams.

Here's New Jersey from 1985.

1984-85 New Jersey Nets Roster and Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Birdsong played 56, games, King played 42, Darryl Dawkins played 39.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just tired of seeing a lack of toughness. Even in recent years, like game 5 @ SA in 2007, or game 5 @ Houston in 2008.

I want to see someone like Carroll, but the talent to be a starter, and someone other GMs would actually want. Like Matt Barnes or Tony Allen or Sefolosha, etc.

Or AK, with an affordable contract and more consistency.

If Tinsley was in his prime, he would have satisfied it from the PG.

But given this team's roster, I think there needs to be more toughness from the SG/SF.

Favors and Kanters could bring it, if they ever prove to be heavy minute starters. (Which might not happen.)

Jerry Sloan. John Stockton. Karl Malone. Greg Ostertag. Just kidding, but he did respond well to Shaq's slap. He fought back and did a generally good job against him.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Sloan. John Stockton. Karl Malone. Greg Ostertag. Just kidding, but he did respond well to Shaq's slap. He fought back and did a generally good job against him.

I'm talking about all season long, not individual moments.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plus, many of those teams didn't rank as well defensively as the New Orleans Jazz teams, so something was missing.

And I liked Ostertag.

But apparently, there needed to be even more.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, let him rot at home for this year at least. He's not worth the money. He's being paid two million, now prorated, that's 600 K left. Keep him. Don't even let him leave after the Lakers are eliminated. I don't want them to have some more ability to resign their own. Though I'm not sure if he'd still diss Kobe.

How did we get here? Did he just not like his minutes or how we played him or was he just a dick? (I know, not mutually exclusive.)

I think he just called Corbin out on his substitutions. Got pissed because he wasn't necessarily getting the old Jerry Sloan vet preference.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he just called Corbin out on his substitutions. Got pissed because he wasn't necessarily getting the old Jerry Sloan vet preference.

Thanks for the info. I just knew once he wasn't there. Must be great to make 2 million for doing nothing. Nice vacation time.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7 losses in 8 games. Honestly, this will go down as the worst Jazz season in the annals of my history as a fan. Jerry left of his own volition, otherwise that would be the worst in my opinion. This team, on paper, should be good, IMO. Millsap's best days are done. Our backup PGs held in here for a spell, but the law of averages caught up to them. As I thought, Mo won't be a harbinger of glory off this injury.

You guys still think the Jazz did right by standing pat at the deadline? ESA is going to look like the Bates motel.

Our core 4 are just alright. Jazz are banking on the Detroit model, I guess. I don't see it.