• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Jerry Sloan Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're both robots because good things come in pairs, like John Stockton and Diet Pepsi; or Karl Malone, and Hardees fried chicken; or Jerry Sloan, and getting seven game suspensions for pushing Courtney Kirkland in the chest; or your kids and the secret nicknames you have for your kids (Skittles and M&M's; or Skittles and Reeses Pieces; or Skittles and Butterfinger BBs'; or Skittles and Cadbury Gems; or whatever secret nickname you gave your second embryo, can you share what it was? ;)).

We're both robots because good things come in pairs, and since you're a robot, you need a robot friend, so I'm your robot friend.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're both robots because good things come in pairs, like John Stockton and Diet Pepsi; or Karl Malone, and Hardees fried chicken; or Jerry Sloan, and getting seven game suspensions for pushing Courtney Kirkland in the chest; or your kids and the secret nicknames you have for your kids (Skittles and M&M's; or Skittles and Reeses Pieces; or Skittles and Butterfinger BBs'; or Skittles and Cadbury Gems; or whatever secret nickname you gave your second embryo, can you share what it was? ;)).

We're both robots because good things come in pairs, and since you're a robot, you need a robot friend, so I'm your robot friend.

If I didn't know about the commercials I would have thought the pairs were: John Stockton and Karl Malone; Hardees and Diet Pepsi, or Jerry Sloan and John Deere tractors. Or Courtney Kirkland and Kirkney Courtland.

No, I'm not a robot. I already paired up with my wife and my wife with my daughter and my daughter with me. But I will find you a robot friend, if you'd like.

Yes, I can share the secret nickname my wife and I gave my second embryo. She had the first, so the second is all mine!

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I didn't know about the commercials I would have thought the pairs were: John Stockton and Karl Malone; Hardees and Diet Pepsi, or Jerry Sloan and John Deere tractors. Or Courtney Kirkland and Kirkney Courtland.

No, I'm not a robot. I already paired up with my wife and my wife with my daughter and my daughter with me.

But I will find you a robot friend, if you'd like(add strikethrough).

Yes, I can share the secret nickname my wife and I gave my second embryo. She had the first, so the second is all mine!

Those are your human pairs. You are also part of a robot pair. You have different personas, all of which are a part of their own pairs.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The other Jazz pair was Jeff Hornacek and Getting Horny. Hornacek was in a Horny State when a certain body part was on fire:

-- his hands.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're both robots because good things come in pairs, like John Stockton and Diet Pepsi; or Karl Malone, and Hardees fried chicken; or Jerry Sloan, and getting seven game suspensions for pushing Courtney Kirkland in the chest;

Back when the incident happened, and I saw the headline, I didn't know that Kirkland was a male. So I was even more startled by the location of Sloan's contact on the referee's body.

Run-In With Referee Costs Sloan 7 Games - Los Angeles Times

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
News that both Sloan and Williams are open to reuniting in Brooklyn? Damn, that would be problematic for me. Not necessarily to root for Deron, but to root for them both in NY! Yuck.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
News that both Sloan and Williams are open to reuniting in Brooklyn? Damn, that would be problematic for me. Not necessarily to root for Deron, but to root for them both in NY! Yuck.

I don't wish for injury with anyone, but if Sloan does go to Brooklyn, Williams does have his share of injuries and Sloan is successful at getting things out of lesser talented players (DWill's backup). So there's that.

But yes, that would be problematic if that didn't happen.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that because you don't care about players that are good defenders, if they don't play for the Jazz?

It's mainly because I thought the Lakers did not give adequate compensation for Gasol. Now that his brother is playing well, it's better, but Jerry West still loves the Lakers. Yes, I know, Jerry West was no longer with the team.

I know this is blasphemy but I don't care about individual defense, in general. If Stockton weren't leading in steals, I'd care even less. I focus more on the team in total, but I don't mean team defense (like weak/strong side help), just accumulation of all layers on a team.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The placeholder name is Amore - for two reasons. One it involves letters that we wanted, not necessarily names but mean something and not necessarily in order. Second, we wanted it to mean love or something good (Skittles, the one we used for our first daughter, was phonetic - check your Facebook if you want to see it). However, the word "love" is overused when it comes to these type of placeholder names (or so said somebody I know). The word in my wife's language is too few letters and I couldn't get one that could not also mean "lover", not good. So we had to choose another language: Italian. Amore means love in Italian, obviously. I thought the song would catch on, but it never did for us. The lyrics are not significant, but take a look at the description for them if you are interested. (You have to go to YouTube to see it by clicking the YouTube sign on the player to see the description.)

The usual pairs involving your kids would be Skittles and Amore; or MHSL82 and Mrs. MHSL82; or Mrs. MHSL82 and Skittles; MHSL82 and Amore.

But since you liked my creative ones from earlier (I think you liked them), here are the creative pairs involving your kids:

Skittles and falling down, or Skittles and accidentally getting hurt.

Amore and pretending to be a boy. (I could post a YouTube of a random kid doing pretending to be a boy, but can't do that right now, will find one later. It will probably involve someone pretending to go to the bathroom like her brother). (Also I'll watch your YouTube then too, since I will have committed myself to spending time on YouTube, so watching your clip will fall into that allotted time).

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't started too many threads with the word horny, but since Hornacek is likely taking a head coaching job for the Suns. What is your take? Do you think Corbin is a credible to decent coach? Should we have canned him and hired Horny?

Why are the options between Corbin and Horny?

The options should be Corbin vs. Horny vs. Byron Scott vs.
Phil Jackson vs.
Nate McMillan,
Mo Cheeks,
Flip Saunders,
Jerry Sloan
Mike Brown
Jeff Van Gundy
Stan Van Gundy
Paul Silas
Alvin Gentry
Scott Skiles
Doug Collins
Lawrence Frank
Michael Curry
Mike Dunleavy Sr.

And cmon Sackataters, I know you text your wife with the subject "horny" all the time. J/K. ;)

Corbin didn't impress me, but he also had arguably the league's worst starting backcourt to work with. That will make any offense look bad.

And Jefferson being the defender that he was, makes the team defense look bad, along with that aforementioned bad backcourt.

If the Jazz made some decent moves, I would give Corbin a chance, but he'd better make it work within 2 months.

It was also Corbin's own fault that he didn't play Kanter and Favors more over Jefferson, since Jefferson's defense was worse than normal last year.

So there's plenty of blame and responsibility from the GM to the coach himself.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the video, Scott has a right to dislike Malone, he was guilty, too. I can't say he's more or less guilty, because I don't know what was said or done, the video doesn't show it. He likely responded to something Scott said, but take for instance, if what Scott had said was the heartless comment and that sparked it, Scott can't be excused from the heartless comment because that would have come before the heat of the confrontation. But just as he can dislike Malone, I have a right to dislike Scott and not want him as our coach. His comments about coat-tail riding came in the press conference.

According to the YouTube author, "Malone took exception to the manner in which Byron Scott separated Jazz guard John Crotty and Nets forward Kenyon Martin -- who were involved in a scrum for a loose ball on the floor (1:07-mark) . Malone responded by firmly guiding/pushing Scott back towards the New Jersey bench, resulting in Dick Bavetta, Jerry Sloan and the cavalry rushing in to separate everyone before the situation could escalate further.

The incident appeared to incite Malone - who erupted in the 3rd-qtr. In a 5-min stretch, Malone exploded for 12 points including a:
-facial dunk on Todd McCullough (1:59-mark)
-3pt-play over Keith Van Horn (2:33-mark)
-fastbreak hammer dunk (2:42-mark)
-3pt-play off pick&roll (3:00-mark)"

Malone was defending a teammate. Not sure if it was necessary, just saying it wasn't him defending himself after a coach thinking he did something dirty. With Malone, that could have been the reason. In this case, it wasn't.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are the options between Corbin and Horny?

The options should be
Nate McMillan,
Mo Cheeks,
Jerry Sloan
Jeff Van Gundy
Stan Van Gundy
Paul Silas
Alvin Gentry
Scott Skiles
Doug Collins

You know I'm a Jerry fan, but it would be odd to go back now. Collins is fiery and demanding and I like that. I want a cerebral coach. I'd take one of the Van Gundys.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I'm a Jerry fan, but it would be odd to go back now. Collins is fiery and demanding and I like that. I want a cerebral coach. I'd take one of the Van Gundys.

I don't care about oddness or awkwardness - bring Jerry back! After all, he still had his name in the hat for quite a few teams the last few years.

I still don't get why we rushed to name and extend Corbin. Where was he going to go? Even if he got an offer elsewhere, which he wouldn't have, tie goes to the team he is familiar with. Did the Jazz want to avoid jumping over Corbin to get someone else to avoid accusations of racial bias? His interim job was a bit unfair to him, being so quick. I wouldn't normally say anything about race, but Utah does have that reputation, true or not.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it depends on how sharp Jerry still is. I haven't heard him speak in two years. At the games, he looks quiet and reserved. He doesn't chime in like Layden, Nissalke, and Phil. Sometimes he looks confused and lost when they pan to him during games. Maybe that's because he is lost without his team.

I think our only hope lies in the new GM to strike gold, black gold, oil that is, Texas tea.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it depends on how sharp Jerry still is. I haven't heard him speak in two years. At the games, he looks quiet and reserved. He doesn't chime in like Layden, Nissalke, and Phil. Sometimes he looks confused and lost when they pan to him during games. Maybe that's because he is lost without his team.

I think our only hope lies in the new GM to strike gold, black gold, oil that is, Texas tea.

He's lost because he can't understand why Corbin is playing who he's playing, calling the plays he's calling, and not riding the refs. Oh, and he's confused on why Corbin was chosen to replace him and still has the job. ;)

Seriously though, I am surprised how often he's at the games. Do you think he unofficial lay and secretly assists Corbin. I mean they wouldn't want Corbin to be helped in public because it challenges his authority or makes him look less competent. I just didn't see Sloan as someone wanting much from basketball when he left, though I obviously knew he was passionate. I tjoughy he had spent his passion.