• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Jerry Sloan Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I'm a Jerry fan, but it would be odd to go back now.

It wouldn't be odd if Jerry resigned because he needed a break, and now wants to get back into coaching. Then it would just be because he needed some time off to recoup from the NBA grind.

However, there have been 22 vacancies since he stepped down. Most have reached out to him. The fact that they haven't hired him, means that they feel Jerry isn't really back into coaching, or they don't think he can handle the traveling / health issues. They don't think he has the energy and stamina. They don't want someone with 40% of the fire he used to have.

Jerry was old when he stepped down as is. Only 3 other coaches were older when they stopped coaching. The traveling and health gets to them, IMO.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't be odd if Jerry resigned because he needed a break, and now wants to get back into coaching. Then it would just be because he needed some time off to recoup from the NBA grind.

However, there have been 22 vacancies since he stepped down. Most have reached out to him. The fact that they haven't hired him, means that they feel Jerry isn't really back into coaching, or they don't think he can handle the traveling / health issues. They don't think he has the energy and stamina. They don't want someone with 40% of the fire he used to have.

Jerry was old when he stepped down as is. Only 3 other coaches were older when they stopped coaching. The traveling and health gets to them, IMO.

He's turned some down or stepped away - though a few of those may be because he saw the writing on the wall? I don't know. I'd like him back. I'd go up or down with that ship - or more like consistently stay above average and not win (we didn't with Malone and Stock and now we have neither).

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the YouTube author, "Malone took exception to the manner in which Byron Scott separated Jazz guard John Crotty and Nets forward Kenyon Martin -- who were involved in a scrum for a loose ball on the floor (1:07-mark) . Malone responded by firmly guiding/pushing Scott back towards the New Jersey bench, resulting in Dick Bavetta, Jerry Sloan and the cavalry rushing in to separate everyone before the situation could escalate further.

The incident appeared to incite Malone - who erupted in the 3rd-qtr. In a 5-min stretch, Malone exploded for 12 points including a:
-facial dunk on Todd McCullough (1:59-mark)
-3pt-play over Keith Van Horn (2:33-mark)
-fastbreak hammer dunk (2:42-mark)
-3pt-play off pick&roll (3:00-mark)"

Malone was defending a teammate. Not sure if it was necessary, just saying it wasn't him defending himself after a coach thinking he did something dirty. With Malone, that could have been the reason. In this case, it wasn't.

Ok, after watching it:

* I wish we could have seen the whole incident, unedited. Instead, this clip only showed the 4-5 seconds of the confrontation. I wanted to see how the entire thing unfolded, even if it involved other players.

But judging from what I saw, I think Malone took more exception than necessary to what was happening.

* This was definitely a memorable game, because of what happened after the confrontation. I'll bet had I seen this game, I would refer to it in game threads, every now and then, when a confrontation happened.

* I wish there were some clips of Malone defending Kenyon Martin. Two of the most physical players in the league, I wanted to see how that would go.

One reason why I liked the Gordan Hayward clip against the Lakers (his 27 points against the Lakers a few years ago), is because not only did it show every Gordan scoring play, including FREE THROWS, but it also showed him defending Bryant. Sure, they only showed clips in which he got a steal on Bryant, but at least that's something. Maybe they could have made the clip even more perfect if they showed plays in which Gordan's help or on-the-ball defense helped directly or indirectly force the Lakers into a missed shot. But overall, it was a fairly thorough clip, and again, I liked that they showed him at the foul line. To me, free throws are part of the game, and I want to get into the moment even more by watching the player make or miss free throws. I wish this Malone clip had FTs and more defensive sequences too.

For completeness sake, which is what I desire, here are all the FT attempts, after the incident:

0:22.2 47-40 K. Malone misses free throw 1 of 2
0:22.2 47-40 Offensive rebound by Team
0:22.2 47-41 +1 K. Malone makes free throw 2 of 2

5:56.0 55-55 +2 K. Malone makes 2-pt shot from 3 ft (assist by Q. Lewis)
5:56.0 55-55 Shooting foul by T. MacCulloch
5:56.0 55-56 +1 K. Malone makes free throw 1 of 1

4:46.0 55-60 +2 K. Malone makes 2-pt shot at rim (assist by J. Stockton)
4:46.0 55-60 Shooting foul by T. MacCulloch
4:46.0 55-60 Utah full timeout
4:46.0 L. Harris enters the game for K. Kittles 55-60
4:46.0 55-61 +1 K. Malone makes free throw 1 of 1

11:17.0 Turnover by A. Williams (lost ball; steal by K. Malone) 66-65
11:14.0 66-65 Shooting foul by A. Williams
11:14.0 66-66 +1 K. Malone makes free throw 1 of 2
11:14.0 66-67 +1 K. Malone makes free throw 2 of 2

Oh, and I see the Nets won the game in overtime. :(

So Malone went 5/6 from the foul line after the incident.

* There weren't any Malone shovel passes to Stockton. I like Malone bounce passes to Stockton. I kept waiting for one to be shown. I got a little excited at the 5:00 mark when it looked like he'd have an assist, to Stockton, but Malone was used only to reposition the screen, and the ball came back to him.

If I was making my personal highlights clip, with all of my favorite plays, regardless of whether they were from the same game, I'd include more of the last two bullet points. This game could have been perfect if it had sequences with more of these, haha.

Coltsfanphil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've herd everything from Sloan coming back to the Jazz and now how he would make a good coach for the underachieving Nuggets. I personally would rather see him go back to the Jazz

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article above is a good read by-the-way.

Coltsfanphil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the article, I'm a Jerry Sloan fan and would love to see him come back to the Jazz. I think that story was written before the Nugget job opened up.

Coltsfanphil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the article, I'm a Jerry Sloan fan and would love to see him come back to the Jazz. I think that story was written before the Nugget job opened up.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, and it wasn't about the HC position. He'd likely be in a lesser role. Higher than consultant but not assistant. I can't see him on the sideline deferring to Corbin in a what-amounts-to-be- regardless-of-pay demotion role. Corbin wouldn't appreciate that either, I'm sure, though he'd say the right things. He might be pressured to make different, quicker decisions - some good, some bad. Mostly short-term, I'd think, if you were looking over your shoulder, in the case of a Sloan-as-an-assistant, literally over (next to) his shoulder. (I think Corbin's taller and Sloan would be sitting mostly if an assistant.)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, and it wasn't about the HC position. He'd likely be in a lesser role. Higher than consultant but not assistant. I can't see him on the sideline deferring to Corbin in a what-amounts-to-be- regardless-of-pay demotion role. Corbin wouldn't appreciate that either, I'm sure, though he'd say the right things. He might be pressured to make different, quicker decisions - some good, some bad. Mostly short-term, I'd think, if you were looking over your shoulder, in the case of a Sloan-as-an-assistant, literally over (next to) his shoulder. (I think Corbin's taller and Sloan would be sitting mostly if an assistant.)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utah Jazz CEO Greg Miller says he begged Jerry Sloan not to quit

Details on the decision to walk away. Never heard this before, as they had declined comment every time before. Not sure what I feel about it being released, but I suppose it was going to at some point anyway or reporters would keep asking?

It just confirms that Deron was being a little fukhead. He had something against Gordie for some reason. Hope Garnett and Pierce are too old to help him win a title.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utah Jazz CEO Greg Miller says he begged Jerry Sloan not to quit

Details on the decision to walk away. Never heard this before, as they had declined comment every time before. Not sure what I feel about it being released, but I suppose it was going to at some point anyway or reporters would keep asking?

It just confirms that Deron was being a little fukhead. He had something against Gordie for some reason. Hope Garnett and Pierce are too old to help him win a title.