• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The hated dis-Astros are in town

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to remember thus is a developmental year. There is much needed after seeing Jurado and Valdez. He is having trouble finding the strike zone

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game was over in the st inning.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not ashamed to admit that I skipped this one.

Losing yesterday when we had a golden opportunity to win a series against the hated Astros then looking at the pitching matchup today made my interest level at 0.

Glad theres an offday tomorrow too after this nasty blow out.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy game to assess our deficiencies

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No players are not stupid. Have to know to realistically compete on playoffs a solid #3 SP needed. More relief needed. Trusted pieces are C Martin, Kelley and Chavez. If Le Clerc could find his FB control and swagger it would be a huge boost. Sampson is decent multi inning relief but nothing special.
Need better ABs at 7,8 and 9

Without these holes filled, I have to agree it is fools gold.

Still not ready to sell our SP. Need to find controllable SP. I prefer to extend Minor all things equal

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No players are not stupid. Have to know to realistically compete on playoffs a solid #3 SP needed. More relief needed. Trusted pieces are C Martin, Kelley and Chavez. If Le Clerc could find his FB control and swagger it would be a huge boost. Sampson is decent multi inning relief but nothing special.

Still not ready to sell our SP. Need to find controllable SP. I prefer to extend Minor all things equal
Agree

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We need to get Chavez back in the pen if possible to bolster that.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to get Chavez back in the pen if possible to bolster that.
I agree. He shutdown some games like the game we were in today.

I’m seeing the dilemma the front office is faced with.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always thought we should be sellers, but for those of you who want to compete and go for it, this split is right on target to make management become buyers.

I don't see how this split keeps us from being buyers. What we do from here on out may keep us from being buyers, but this split shouldn't dampen any previous optimism.

I still say sell, sell, sell though.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always thought we should be sellers, but for those of you who want to compete and go for it, this split is right on target to make management become buyers.

I don't see how this split keeps us from being buyers. What we do from here on out may keep us from being buyers, but this split shouldn't dampen any previous optimism.

When you say sell, I can agree but the issue is and will always be the return. I am not interested in sending Minor or Lynn for a AA player with upside. just pay them!!

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A few weeks ago I was on the “buy controllable assets” train

My thinking was predicated on several things

1) the team would need to hold on to a wildcard spot around trade time

2) other teams would fall out of the race

Neither of those has happened.

I’d be in favor of selling, but the big question is how much?

I don’t like the idea of a “fire sale” that prevents us from contending until 2025. I still think there’s a lot to like about this team. Our lineup has still put up more runs than any other team in the AL west. We have 2 really good pitchers to build around at the top of the rotation.

I wish there was a way to balance the needs of this season, the needs of the franchise long term, and the needs of next season.

It seems like a really difficult and complicated decision on what is exactly the right course of action.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No players are not stupid. Have to know to realistically compete on playoffs a solid #3 SP needed.

For now and in the future it's going to be the same you need good starters, if a good one is available now (that's controllable) get him.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With so many holes to fill not considering taking the best offers for the few tradable pieces we have is wrong. It is nothing but pipedreams to believe that we can compete against the Ray's, Red Soxes, Indians, A's etc for simply a WC place.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you say sell, I can agree but the issue is and will always be the return. I am not interested in sending Minor or Lynn for a AA player with upside. just pay them!!
When JD thinks we are contenders he will buy pitching. Getting there by the gradual approach is probably his game right now. Find a third starter who is controllable either by trade at the deadline or FA off season. Which probably means standing pat. I think we might see more Solak type minor league horse trading this season. But off season there are SP targets we can get.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cole Wimn had another very good outing last night. 5 innings 3 hits 1 walk, 1 run and 4 strikeouts.

Joe Palumbo had a good game also.

Joe Palumbo: 4 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 6 SO, 3.38 ERA

Last edited:

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When JD thinks we are contenders he will buy pitching. Getting there by the gradual approach is probably his game right now. Find a third starter who is controllable either by trade at the deadline or FA off season. Which probably means standing pat. I think we might see more Solak type minor league horse trading this season. But off season there are SP targets we can get.

Hopefully

The new stadium should help us with that pursuit. We don’t have to hear the “it’s too hot” excuse ever again.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you hit the nail on the head. I think we should be thinking about next year and not just dump what we have to build years from now. Nightcrawler is also correct in that it is a difficult situation. I know we cannot really compete with some teams with what we have now but if we could gain some decent pitchers, not TORP, who are controllable as you say and give up let's say an OFer and maybe another position player and a minor league pitcher who we do not see being a core player down the road then I am good with that. This way we slowly build for the future and as players come up it just enhances the team that we already put out on the field. Now I could look back at this and say this was a stupid thought but that is what makes baseball so great. You just never know. I mean the Rangers are not supposed to be doing what they are doing now.