• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The First 2018 College Football Playoff

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but his defensiveness, threats to do bodily harm, and that response to 4d20 above are all kind of doublejive's vibe.

He was once voted the most likely to hunt someone from the board down and run them over. Someone else is carrying that mantle quite well now.
Yeah, he just lashes out though, Doublejive took the time and care to send PMs which added an extra layer creepy/crazy.

Untitled.jpg

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neat, so you hope for a scenario that you find objectionable, just so it will piss off others who may also find it that way, enough to do something about not having it anymore.

Why not just hope they pick the 4 best teams and we have a solid post season like we normally do? Skip all the drama and have 3 good games. Seems a better thing to hope for to me.

Exactly

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at least you admit to having a wish for something illogical and nonsensical. I'll give you props for that.

I think a 6 team playoff where all 5 P5 Champs are in plus the highest group of 5 makes for a much more interesting time rather than a room full of jabronis with biases deciding everything.

Win your conference and youre in. No BS inbetween.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a 6 team playoff where all 5 P5 Champs are in plus the highest group of 5 makes for a much more interesting time rather than a room full of jabronis with biases deciding everything.

If you win your conference and aren’t ranked in the top 6, do you really deserve to be in the playoffs?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you win your conference and aren’t ranked in the top 6, do you really deserve to be in the playoffs?

Rankings are all based off of an initial preseason ranking which is based off of pretty much nothing but speculation.....which effects everything thru out the year along with your expected human biases.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We've been over this on this site ad nauseum. Autobids is the worst idea possible for doing anything post season. It solves nothing, promotes crappy schedules where you rest up your players and help lower injury risks by scheduling even worse OOC games than they do now since they would no longer be more than exhibition games, and would leave out way better teams in favor of so-called champions.

This year is a hard time to bang that drum. I don't care if UW ends up winning the Pac, there isn't a team from this conference that deserves a playoff slot. Period. More or less, should they go in over a 1 loss team on the back of a really solid schedule.

Still, your idea that you actually WISH for bad outcomes just so you can do something to prevent future bad outcomes defies anything that resemble logic and belies the fact you have an agenda you desperately want filled and don't care how bad the sport is broken to get there.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

There's a legit chance the Pac 12 champ this year could be a 3-loss Washington, who faced 1 "good" OOC team and lost, and that team has fallen apart. If there is a 12-1 UGA and 12-1 Bama out there, you can't tell me Washington has earned a spot more than both of those teams have.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rankings are all based off of an initial preseason ranking which is based off of pretty much nothing but speculation.....which effects everything thru out the year along with your expected human biases.
We have had seasons where a team starts the season unranked and not getting votes finish the season in the top 4. We had two in 2013. But if you have 2-3 loss teams making the playoffs in place of 1 loss teams now based solely on the fact that the 3 plays in a weak conference that is a bigger travesty than what we have now.

Also rarely does a G5 team have a legitimate shot at beating a top team so there is no real reason to guarantee them a spot either.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've been over this on this site ad nauseum. Autobids is the worst idea possible for doing anything post season. It solves nothing, promotes crappy schedules where you rest up your players and help lower injury risks by scheduling even worse OOC games than they do now since they would no longer be more than exhibition games, and would leave out way better teams in favor of so-called champions.

This year is a hard time to bang that drum. I don't care if UW ends up winning the Pac, there isn't a team from this conference that deserves a playoff slot. Period. More or less, should they go in over a 1 loss team on the back of a really solid schedule.

Still, your idea that you actually WISH for bad outcomes just so you can do something to prevent future bad outcomes defies anything that resemble logic and belies the fact you have an agenda you desperately want filled and don't care how bad the sport is broken to get there.

Can't be anymore broken than it is now.

I'd rather go back to the ways of old

Beat your rival, win your league and go have fun in a Bowl game somewhere as a reward for a successful season.

Takes all the angst away from the ESPiN Invitational Tournament approach and lets people just enjoy the season.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

There's a legit chance the Pac 12 champ this year could be a 3-loss Washington, who faced 1 "good" OOC team and lost, and that team has fallen apart. If there is a 12-1 UGA and 12-1 Bama out there, you can't tell me Washington has earned a spot more than both of those teams have.

But hypothetically should a 1 loss Alabama who once again doesnt win their division really be getting in over a chance of THREE 1 loss P5 conference champs? I'd say hell no.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't be anymore broken than it is now.

I'd rather go back to the ways of old

Beat your rival, win your league and go have fun in a Bowl game somewhere as a reward for a successful season.

Takes all the angst away from the ESPiN Invitational Tournament approach and lets people just enjoy the season.
Yeah, uh no.

Making up to 1/3 of the season exhibition only (only conf games count toward autobids for obvious reasons) and putting in even 3 loss teams (which would happen this year if UW wins out and takes the Pac so It's not some far fetched thing) over teams that are WAY FUCKING BETTER TIMES 100 may not seem like it breaks it more than it is now (which isn't broken in any way as it is), but it would completely gut the sport. Period.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But hypothetically should a 1 loss Alabama who once again doesnt win their division really be getting in over a chance of THREE 1 loss P5 conference champs? I'd say hell no.
Then that's just a matter of amount of teams, not protocol regarding instant entry into the CFP based on winning your conference. Say there's a 12-1 Oklahoma, 12-1 OSU/michigan, 13-0 Clemson, 12-1 UGA, 12-1 Washington State, and 12-0 ND, I would agree that Bama shouldn't be automatically in.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then that's just a matter of amount of teams, not protocol regarding instant entry into the CFP based on winning your conference. Say there's a 12-1 Oklahoma, 12-1 OSU/michigan, 13-0 Clemson, 12-1 UGA, 12-1 Washington State, and 12-0 ND, I would agree that Bama shouldn't be automatically in.

If A 1 loss non division champ Alabama got in over 3 1 loss P5 teams. It pretty much proves that their thinking is "1st loss doesn't count for SEC blue bloods"

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If A 1 loss non division champ Alabama got in over 3 1 loss P5 teams. It pretty much proves that their thinking is "1st loss doesn't count for SEC blue bloods"
If Bama loses this weekend to LSU and doesn't make the CCG, it would be unlikely we see them if the other 4 P5 conference winners have 1 or fewer losses and ND is unbeaten.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bama loses this weekend to LSU and doesn't make the CCG, it would be unlikely we see them if the other 4 P5 conference winners have 1 or fewer losses and ND is unbeaten.

Youre a lot more optimistic about that than I

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, uh no.

Making up to 1/3 of the season exhibition only (only conf games count toward autobids for obvious reasons) and putting in even 3 loss teams (which would happen this year if UW wins out and takes the Pac so It's not some far fetched thing) over teams that are WAY FUCKING BETTER TIMES 100 may not seem like it breaks it more than it is now (which isn't broken in any way as it is), but it would completely gut the sport. Period.

It is very much broken.

Sportswriters are some of the dumbest human beings on this planet. Why build the whole thing around their opinions? It's insane.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Youre a lot more optimistic about that than I
Well, the way I see it:

13-0 Clemson is in
12-0 ND is in
12-1 UGA is in

Then you'd have, for scenario's sake, a 12-1 michigan who has at least 3 ranked wins and their only loss was by 7 on the road in week 1 against 12-0 ND.

Also 12-1 Oklahoma, who also has likely 3+ ranked wins who's only loss was against a ranked Texas by 3

Meanwhile, Bama is 11-1 without a conference title, and possibly only 1-2 ranked wins.

I don't see both of them getting bumped by a team that didn't win their division, even if it's Alabama. Remember - had OSU been 12-1 last year and not lost to Iowa, they were in easily over Alabama. Even at 11-2, it was a serious discussion.